WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Asus On The Loose

Did you know that 100% of computers malfunction because a chocolate milkshake was spilled all over them? [Source: A survey of this Woot writer.]  If you are looking for a new Asus it must be because you stupidly dropped a full milkshake right on top of the last one. Try to be more careful this time. 
Asus official site

Quality Posts

elwrayswrecker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwrayswrecker

I've been on the hunt for an affordable Win7 dual-core for my mother! In for one of the 15.6" Intel dual-cores.

Should be perfect for her to play Farmville/watch Netflix/forward me chain emails from 1998.

mcahren

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mcahren
elwrayswrecker wrote:I've been on the hunt for an affordable Win7 dual-core for my mother! In for one of the 15.6" Intel dual-cores.

Should be perfect for her to play Farmville/watch Netflix/forward me chain emails from 1998.

LOL!

Just bought the AiO. I'd like to use Win8, but I know that refurbs may not be eligible. Has there been any clarification on this in the past week?

Also, I'd like to order some RAM today. This machine comes with 4GB, has a max of 8GB, and it has two DDR3 SO-DIMM slots. What I *don't* know is whether it comes with a single 4GB stick, or two 2GB sticks. So in other words, can I get away with buying a single 4GB, or do I have to buy a pair?

chaotickinesis

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chaotickinesis
mcahren wrote:LOL!

Just bought the AiO. I'd like to use Win8, but I know that refurbs may not be eligible. Has there been any clarification on this in the past week?

Also, I'd like to order some RAM today. This machine comes with 4GB, has a max of 8GB, and it has two DDR3 SO-DIMM slots. What I *don't* know is whether it comes with a single 4GB stick, or two 2GB sticks. So in other words, can I get away with buying a single 4GB, or do I have to buy a pair?

Having 2 matching sticks of RAM is the way to go for performance and stability. Non-matching RAM may cause system errors and since you can't underclock it on the laptop, there is always the possibility that it will not run at all.

dwieneke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwieneke

crucial.com is a great place to find memory upgrades. Enter the manufacturer and the model and they will suggest the appropriate memory combos.

Columpus

dysti

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dysti
Asus K53E-BBR19 Laptop, Intel Core i4-2450M

o_O

mcahren

chaotickinesis wrote:Having 2 matching sticks of RAM is the way to go for performance and stability. Non-matching RAM may cause system errors and since you can't underclock it on the laptop, there is always the possibility that it will not run at all.

That makes sense. Thanks!

rrussell

quality posts: 9 Private Messages rrussell

Ohh, those Sliders are sexy.

But since I already have a TF101 + keyboard, it'd actually be a DOWNgrade

jpeg543

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jpeg543

I'm not planing to buy one, but that's only because I already own 3 Asus notebooks in my household I highly recommend the brand, they've been nothing but good for me.

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich
Asus K53E-BBR19 Laptop, Intel Core i4-2450M
dysti wrote:o_O

Heh. That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it? Or rather, not enough stretch ... their index finger shoulda reached just a bit farther, past the 4, to the 5.

mingsty

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mingsty

Does anyone have anything comparing the two processors in this format? Will there be a noticeable difference in horsepower? I've had AMD's but really haven't done any research in the past few years on the processors.

I am nerdier than 98% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to take the Nerd Test, get geeky images and jokes, and write on the nerd forum!

lavergja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lavergja

I see this has the Intel processor and the Intel 3000 graphics card, so is this laptop WIDI capable?

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

We got a new Asus laptop in this family last year - it's a solid, reliable performer.

Now comparing the $420 (i5) model with the $280 (B960) model, there are 3 main differences.

CPU speed is about 66% on most benchmarks.

Battery is 4-cell vs. 6-cell so battery life will be shorter.

Graphics are HD instead of HD 3000. Might strain playing full HD video. Neither of these are really gaming systems.

If you're looking for a good general-use system, especially if it will be sitting at home most of the time, the B960 looks like a very good value.

ragsys

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ragsys

just received my Asus RSL101-A1 10.10 Slider.I have several android tablets and this is now my favorite. It immediately upgraded automaticly to 4.0.1 Ice Cream Sandwich. This is the best for any typing . Solid build quality.Nice display.Source code on ASUS website. USB compatiable with mouse and USB memory and USB multi adapters allowing several USB devices in use at one time. It will surprisingly replace my laptop for many uses while allowing fun games. Very unexpected quality.

queenangelfish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages queenangelfish
ivanivanovich wrote:Heh. That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it? Or rather, not enough stretch ... their index finger shoulda reached just a bit farther, past the 4, to the 5.

Maybe 3rd time is a charm? The description says ....i4.... IT SHOULD BE *** i5 *** (maybe shouting will work?)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 903 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

queenangelfish wrote:Maybe 3rd time is a charm? The description says ....i4.... IT SHOULD BE *** i5 *** (maybe shouting will work?)

WHO'S SHOUTING IN HERE!?!

Seriously, sorry we missed your earlier posts. I'll send it in and it should be fixed later in the morning. Thanks for your eagle eye.

Also, feel free to PM me if we don't see your post on something like this.

*NEW* NEW New Work Schedule: Mon-Wed = Days; Thu-Fri = evening/nights
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

pagreen

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pagreen

I don't know about clarification, but I successfully upgraded a refurb last week for the $15 Win 8 Pro deal.

vicemagnet

quality posts: 5 Private Messages vicemagnet

Two comments:
On The Loose is a great song from 1981 by a group called Saga.

I bought an ASUS laptop for work and it is okay. I am not a fan of the native screen resolution. The letters on the keys are wearing out. I've had about 5 lockups. It has an i7 CPU (first gen), USB 3.0 port and other goodies that made me look past the screen resolution. Previous laptops I had included an IBM Thinkpad running AIX or NT4, Zenith, HP, Dell, I think that's all of them.

puterfreaksteveo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puterfreaksteveo

Is it me or did everyone miss the fact that this computer already comes with 8GB of RAM? The title and specs both say it does have 8GB of RAM.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Does+the+U56E-RBL8+have+8gb+of+ram%3F

tech1029

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tech1029

Does anyone have any Squaretrade coupon codes that will work for this event?

henkelks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages henkelks
puterfreaksteveo wrote:Is it me or did everyone miss the fact that this computer already comes with 8GB of RAM? The title and specs both say it does have 8GB of RAM.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Does+the+U56E-RBL8+have+8gb+of+ram%3F

system in question is the all-in-one (AiO), inquery was valid.

coralrott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coralrott
ragsys wrote:just received my Asus RSL101-A1 10.10 Slider.I have several android tablets and this is now my favorite. It immediately upgraded automaticly to 4.0.1 Ice Cream Sandwich. This is the best for any typing . Solid build quality.Nice display.Source code on ASUS website. USB compatiable with mouse and USB memory and USB multi adapters allowing several USB devices in use at one time. It will surprisingly replace my laptop for many uses while allowing fun games. Very unexpected quality.

Hi - you said you have this tablet, right? Is the actual touchscreen supposed to be 10.1"? Because I ordered one the last time around and my screen is only 8.5".

elwrayswrecker

Just received the Asus Intel Dual-Core. Nice laptop - the touchpad especially feels very nice.

There is a single sheet of paper included that says the laptop has been wiped, including the recovery partition. It notes that I cannot make recovery DVDs with the Asus utility, but there is a PDF on the desktop with instructions.

Only problem is, this PDF is not on the desktop...

Also, My Computer shows two partitions: C drive ("OS") with 125gb, and D drive ("Data") with 148gb.

Any ideas what's going on?

lmsieu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lmsieu

I purchased an ASUS ET2410IUTS-05 All-In-One PC. Fast ship, but the keyboard and mouse that came with the unit were DOA. I called customer service and we were able to get the PC itself up using another keyboard and mouse that I have around. But can imagine the guy that doesn't?!? And the guy didn't want to stay on the line with me past the initial set up while I did the various updates. Other than that, so far so good. Great picture quality. Mom is happy, and if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Lily
and the dog.

elwrayswrecker

elwrayswrecker wrote:Just received the Asus Intel Dual-Core. Nice laptop - the touchpad especially feels very nice.

There is a single sheet of paper included that says the laptop has been wiped, including the recovery partition. It notes that I cannot make recovery DVDs with the Asus utility, but there is a PDF on the desktop with instructions.

Only problem is, this PDF is not on the desktop...

Also, My Computer shows two partitions: C drive ("OS") with 125gb, and D drive ("Data") with 148gb.

Any ideas what's going on?

After further investigation, it looks like a bunch of the drivers aren't installed... the graphics are all wonky and device manager shows unknown drivers for the ethernet port, WiFi, USB, and many others...

mcahren

lmsieu wrote:I purchased an ASUS ET2410IUTS-05 All-In-One PC. Fast ship, but the keyboard and mouse that came with the unit were DOA. I called customer service and we were able to get the PC itself up using another keyboard and mouse that I have around. But can imagine the guy that doesn't?!? And the guy didn't want to stay on the line with me past the initial set up while I did the various updates. Other than that, so far so good. Great picture quality. Mom is happy, and if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Mine has some serious issues too, I've emailed Woot support, I'm confident that they will make things right.

Stupid question, but you made sure that the dongle was inserted, and you held the sync button down for 5 seconds to connect the mouse/keyboard, correct?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
mcahren wrote:Mine has some serious issues too, I've emailed Woot support, I'm confident that they will make things right.

Stupid question, but you made sure that the dongle was inserted, and you held the sync button down for 5 seconds to connect the mouse/keyboard, correct?

Thanks for letting us know you've mailed in! We hope your issue will be resolved soon.

I'm just hanging out, really.

tech1029

My Asus X54C-BBK13 laptop just showed up at my door and when I unpacked it there was no battery! I recommended this sale to 2 of my friends I sure hope their units are okay. I don't want egg on my face. I'm not liking the whole erased recovery partition either. Why couldn't the refurb team just run the recovery program to bring it back to factory spec. That little tidbit should have been listed in the specs no?

elwrayswrecker

tech1029 wrote:My Asus X54C-BBK13 laptop just showed up at my door and when I unpacked it there was no battery! I recommended this sale to 2 of my friends I sure hope their units are okay. I don't want egg on my face. I'm not liking the whole erased recovery partition either. Why couldn't the refurb team just run the recovery program to bring it back to factory spec. That little tidbit should have been listed in the specs no?

My recovery partition wasn't wiped as stated on that paper... nor was a pdf waiting for me on the desktop with instructions.

Out of curiosity, what does the label on the underside of your laptop say? Mine says the model is "K54C" - not X54C...

tech1029

elwrayswrecker wrote:My recovery partition wasn't wiped as stated on that paper... nor was a pdf waiting for me on the desktop with instructions.

Out of curiosity, what does the label on the underside of your laptop say? Mine says the model is "K54C" - not X54C...

My Sticker says Model : K54C-5KSX with the same MB ver Check # 5680

stevekalka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevekalka
tech1029 wrote:My Sticker says Model : K54C-5KSX with the same MB ver Check # 5680

Same situation: 2 partitions, no PDF, and the K54C model #. I'm not sure if any of that has a material impact. Also, the screen and image quality is pretty crappy. Do I just need to suck it up or perhaps a driver update may help? I tried to update the driver but it said I had the most current. Not that I should expect the best of anything in a $285 laptop, but by 2012 I thought we've figured out how to have crisp screen quality on all devices.