WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How quickly do you reply to work related emails on the weekend?
  • 14% - Fast! 107
  • 27.9% - Not so fast. 213
  • 58.1% - Not at all. 444
764 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

PocketBrain

quality posts: 61 Private Messages PocketBrain

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

netprophet1976

quality posts: 1 Private Messages netprophet1976

Case by case. Where I work is potentially open 7 days a week based on scheduling, so I answer what's urgent and ignore what's not until Monday.

ardubu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ardubu

Nada. Nicht. Nyet!

Ah, the hell with it.

SVRider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SVRider

In my business if the issue is so important that it cannot wait until Monday means the situation is dire and necessitates an immediate response. We all greatly respect each other's weekends and take all such email very seriously.

bblhed

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bblhed

I get paid by the hour and the law in the state I live in says that if you want me to be on call you have to pay me my full hourly rate. Sure I'll answer e-mail on the weekends when I get paid to do so.

intrepid01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages intrepid01
bblhed wrote:I get paid by the hour and the law in the state I live in says that if you want me to be on call you have to pay me my full hourly rate. Sure I'll answer e-mail on the weekends when I get paid to do so.

______

In many states, if you are "exempt" (managers, doctors, nurse practitioners, PA's, some civil servants) then you get to be abused in most cases without pay. We work 60-80 hours/week easily. When patients are gone many of us spend 3 to 5 more hours charting and making referrals.

Work is taken home or done remotely on weekends as well even when not "On Call."

It's work that is seldom seen by the public. Students going into the field have little inkling of how high the personal cost will be (some die in their 50's) until after they are deeply immersed already.

intrepid01

P.S. Am On Call all week after hours. No extra pay. Following day is always deemed a normal day.

Marcusx70

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Marcusx70

When you work in IT, they make you exempt for a reason. There was one week I worked 132 hours. I was only paid for 40 that week. It is part of the life you have when you work this field.

intrepid01

If they do so consistently every week, that actually violates most states labor law. But you have to negotiate fair compensation rather than risk being blacklisted (which matters whether seen or unseen). It is why some accept work as consultants but then lack benefits or some security that you work each week.

Calgaltoal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Calgaltoal

I am (was) salaried so answering emails on the weekend is up to me. I answered them during the week. The running of the school where I worked the last three years is so lax, got an email, telling everyone to do the end of the year check out, four days after deadline. You are not supposed to leave until you do this. They would never make it in the public schools. I blame admin and that is one reason I retired.