WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Should the USA switch to the metric system of measurement?
  • 60.1% - Yes! 852
  • 39.9% - No! 566
1418 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Calgaltoal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Calgaltoal

They told us in Elementary School(60's), we would be metric, when we were older. I am still waiting. Not old mind you! They made it so hard. They want you to convert from one system to another system, wrong. Just the teach the metric, we can learn an inch, we can learn a decimeter. People buy liters, we know about how much that is by now.

isrousro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages isrousro

Already done, but we ignore it.

dschrenk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dschrenk

Everyone else should switch to the USA system! Come on Trump, get 'er done!
(sarcasm implied)

chuckf1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chuckf1
dschrenk wrote:Everyone else should switch to the USA system! Come on Trump, get 'er done!
(sarcasm implied)

No (sarcasm implied) here.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 61 Private Messages PocketBrain

You mean the SI metric system?

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

netprophet1976

quality posts: 1 Private Messages netprophet1976

In theory, yes of course we should. In practice it would be a huge expense and productivity sink for years. I've been a carpenter for over 20 years. I tried to build a very simply plywood table in metric once, and it was a disaster.

eblessman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eblessman

In the industrial world things are 90% metric anyway. It would be an easy switch to finish.

robfly3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robfly3

Maybe we could switch to metric and then we could have English as the official language! Hmmmp!

askdal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages askdal

So how many stone are you?

JohnnyA1228

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JohnnyA1228

I'm old enough to remember when the U.S. tried to introduce metric in the '70s. The campaign was called "Think Metric."

It just required too much effort on the part of the people and was a dismal failure.

Considering most people's lack of desire to put more than a few seconds of effort into anything nowadays, it would fail today too.

brahmin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brahmin

"AT THIS POINT WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?"

onefastbob

quality posts: 75 Private Messages onefastbob
askdal wrote:So how many stone are you?

Zero, I am NOT a stoner.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 87 Private Messages daveinwarshington

No.
Never.

They'll have to pry that yardstick from my cold dead fingers...

radioactivehamster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages radioactivehamster

As others have said, it would be super expensive. We can't even get rid of paper dollars, and that's probably a more critical thing.

This comes up in conversation around me a lot. Someone was complaining about it and it was soon apparent that the US is not the only country that uses Imperial, it's the only country that is primarily Imperial. Australia and Canada switch back and forth. The UK still measures weight in stone (and only decimialized their currency in the 70s). For some things Imperial is better.

ardubu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ardubu

Ha!
We can't even get rid of the Penny!
Round to the nearest Five cents.

For taxes, IRS rounds to the whole dollar!

Our money system cost too much to maintain.

Along with the Pounds, ounces, grains, pints, quarts, fluid ounces, gallons, tons...

I like a base 10 system.
Centi, Deci, Kilo, - meters, grams, Newtons, Joules, etc....

Ah, the hell with it.

ardubu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ardubu
askdal wrote:So how many stone are you?

98 Kg!

Ah, the hell with it.

ohlfahrt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ohlfahrt

We are metric where international standardization is important--in industry, science, our military, trade,and medicine.

We stick with tradition where heritage and habit and being American is what makes us proud and unique. Someone (us) on this Earth must be able to say, with conviction, 'a pint's a pound the world 'round!'

jcbroyes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcbroyes
ardubu wrote:Ha!
We can't even get rid of the Penny!
Round to the nearest Five cents.

For taxes, IRS rounds to the whole dollar!

Our money system cost too much to maintain.

Along with the Pounds, ounces, grains, pints, quarts, fluid ounces, gallons, tons...

I like a base 10 system.
Centi, Deci, Kilo, - meters, grams, Newtons, Joules, etc....

Don't mess with my pints of beer!

originalamber

quality posts: 1 Private Messages originalamber

The problem has always been teaching people to convert from one to the other. Yes, I know a meter is ~39.25 inches and a quart is a little less than a liter. I also don't care.

dwood1859

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwood1859
netprophet1976 wrote:In theory, yes of course we should. In practice it would be a huge expense and productivity sink for years. I've been a carpenter for over 20 years. I tried to build a very simply plywood table in metric once, and it was a disaster.

So how many square inches was your table? Using a common calculator, is it easier to multiply 45-7/16" times 59-3/8" or 115.41125 times 150.8125?
(Of course you could buy a foot/inch calculator)

mainmchc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mainmchc

Honestly I don't care, I just wish they would choose ONE!!!! loose the other.

That maybe the Mechanic tired of the miss match crap!

PocketBrain

quality posts: 61 Private Messages PocketBrain
daveinwarshington wrote:No.
Never.

They'll have to pry that yardstick from my cold dead fingers...

Ya know, a meter is a little more three inches longer than a yard. You could have a longer stick!

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

netprophet1976

quality posts: 1 Private Messages netprophet1976
dwood1859 wrote:So how many square inches was your table? Using a common calculator, is it easier to multiply 45-7/16" times 59-3/8" or 115.41125 times 150.8125?
(Of course you could buy a foot/inch calculator)

Or download a free carpenter calculator app. I have one, it's great.

jzahirniak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzahirniak

The last three vehicles I have owned had metric and imperial under the hood. I prefer we go metric for tooling but either way...pick ONE DAMMIT! I would love to make the switch for all tooling purposes. Fractions suck and converting fractions to decimal sucks. Maybe switch all rulers to a base ten instead of fractions of an inch at least.

Gnoamer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gnoamer

If for no other reason but to see McDonalds change the "Quarter Pounder" to something else...(queue Pulp Fiction) ;)

LuckStiff63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LuckStiff63
ohlfahrt wrote:
..."We stick with tradition where heritage and habit and being American is what makes us proud and unique. Someone (us) on this Earth must be able to say, with conviction, 'a pint's a pound the world 'round!'..."

Hear, Hear! (or is that Here, Here!? - I always forget)

I couldn't have said it better myself. Well, OK, MAYBE I could have, but I'm too darned lazy to try at the moment.

-- Cheers!

-- I was just now pondering the immortal last words of Socrates, who said:
"I drank WHAT???"

PJ7Allen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PJ7Allen
Gnoamer wrote:(queue Pulp Fiction) ;)

cue

cole103

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cole103

[quote postid="7157213" user="radioactivehamster"]As others have said, it would be super expensive. We can't even get rid of paper dollars, and that's probably a more critical thing.

Baloney, we're already using the metric system 90% of the time, you just don't realize it. Science, math, engineering, mechanics, the military, medicine, and international trade all rely on the metric system. If anything, NOT switching to the metric system is too expensive.
What we need to do is quit trying to convert back and forth--that's even a chore for me and I'm a math/science nut. Just change the road signs and tape measures and be done with it---much easier to convert in factors of 10 than to remember 1760 yards in a mile or 231 cubic inches per gallon.

stevenmgregory

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevenmgregory

Like many others, I was part of the '70s push to go metric. I can do the calculations so much easier than metric, but the numbers just are meaningless to me. Being 69 inches tall (5'9" for those of you playing at home) makes sense to me. Being 1.5m tall does not. The units are too big for precision. Being 150cm tall is too much. The units are too small to be meaningful.

I love the *concept* of the metric system, but just use Imperial units. ;-)

cole103

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cole103

[quote postid="7163966" user="stevenmgregory"]Like many others, I was part of the '70s push to go metric. I can do the calculations so much easier than metric, but the numbers just are meaningless to me. Being 69 inches tall (5'9" for those of you playing at home) makes sense to me. Being 1.5m tall does not. The units are too big for precision. Being 150cm tall is too much. The units are too small to be meaningful.

Wait--so you have to have some number between 1.5 and 150 for you to understand it? How do you write a $200 check?

stevenmgregory

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevenmgregory
cole103 wrote:Wait--so you have to have some number between 1.5 and 150 for you to understand it? How do you write a $200 check?

I don't.

But you're ignoring the actual message here in the hope of making a joke. For someone who has grown up using inches, feet, miles, etc., the common units of measure in the metric system do not offer me the same defined sense of what they are measuring in comparison. I freely admit that had I been raised on the metric system I might not have any issues with centimeters, meters, kilometers, kilograms, etc., but I was and therefore I do.

Returning to your check analogy, if the standard issuance of money was nickels and five-dollar bills, but you're used to quarters, you'll understand what I was saying.

intrepid01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages intrepid01

We count and think in a decimal or base 10 system for good reason. It is fast and efficient. Measuring length and weight in a system of 10's is a logical extension. Those of us who took any STEM courses used it daily - often it became a self chosen preference due to greater simplicity.

If you can learn to visualize the approximate distance of an inch, you can also do so with centimeters and 10's of centimeters with little effort. Just try not to switch back and forth during a week muddling the adaptation process.
Going forward, why saddle yet another generation with what is a less efficient system?

If you count on 12 fingers, you may be excused.

intrepid01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages intrepid01

[quote postid="7163966" user="stevenmgregory"]
"...Being 69 inches tall (5'9" for those of you playing at home) makes sense to me. Being 1.5m tall does not. The units are too big for precision. Being 150cm tall is too much. The units are too small to be meaningful."

Actually most people do not visualize all those 69 inches from the floor. Or even estimate the height of 5 feet and tack on 9. Rather they visualize in terms of 5'9" being the average height and then add or subtract an inch or two from that height.

One can do the same with 150 cm (which is approximately the same as 5'9") being the average and add or subtract centimeters. Single or double Centimeters are easy for many to visualize. A 1 cm difference in height in this way is actually easier to visualize than 0.4 inch shorter.

It's a matter of getting use to it and actually not hard when you realize the frame of reference in your mind's eye is actually from 5'9" or 150 cm high - and not from the floor.

We can do this.