WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Turntables: wika-wika-wika

"Woah! Hot! Is this is a remix?" "No, my record is just all scratched up. Sorry. Let me get another."

Quality Posts

Jayrookie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jayrookie

I bought the audio Technica record player (the one pictured) for my gf for xmas and we both love, however I wish it had an optical output on it because it only has red and white output (sorry unsure of the name)(analog maybe too tired to google)

But 0 problems and fantastic sound!

BakonWoot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BakonWoot
Jayrookie wrote:... because it only has red and white output (sorry unsure of the name)(analog maybe too tired to google)

RCA jacks. Or possibly RCA plugs on the end of the cable, if it's built-in like some used to be.

mcoffell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mcoffell
Jayrookie wrote:..(analog maybe too tired to google)

It is indeed analog, which only makes sense as records (and tape cassettes) are an analog medium of sound. To have a optical (or toslink, or USB, etc) output, which are digital outputs, would require the record player to have an Analog-to-Digital converter (opposite of the normal Digital-to-Analog Converter - DAC). That would increase the price substantially, and kind of defeat the purpose...

This has a built-in pre-amp, which means it'll connect to any modern receiver through the stereo RCA plugs (red/white).

Good price, though Amazon has it for only $10 more if you are Prime member (so, 2-day shipping). 4.4/5 reviews. I've been eyeing this one, but might go a fancier route from Orbit Turntables.

jay3120

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jay3120
Jayrookie wrote:I bought the audio Technica record player (the one pictured) for my gf for xmas and we both love, however I wish it had an optical output on it because it only has red and white output (sorry unsure of the name)(analog maybe too tired to google)

But 0 problems and fantastic sound!

I believe the point is to keep the whole process analog (RCA). I think the optical cord takes digital audio and converts it to light, neither of which are analog. Some argue that for this reason albums in the 90's and so on that recorded with a digital studio do not make sense to listen on vinyl. Hope this helps.

jeffcoonen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffcoonen
jay3120 wrote:I believe the point is to keep the whole process analog (RCA). I think the optical cord takes digital audio and converts it to light, neither of which are analog. Some argue that for this reason albums in the 90's and so on that recorded with a digital studio do not make sense to listen on vinyl. Hope this helps.

Just to be totally pedantic: digital -> light isn't really a "conversion." Once you've converted to digital, the sound is just 1s and 0s, and sending(1) vs not-sending(0) light is a nice way to transmit that.

Buffbill_ox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Buffbill_ox

Crap! I just got the Audio Technica one on Amazon a week ago for 20$ more. It's a great little starter record player.

It's only 2 speeds but that is fine for most people. It also has a built in amp/tuner (think thats what its called) so you can connect it directly to some powered shelf speakers (the power is needed so you can control the volume.)

I highly recommend this for casual music fans who want a way to play old records.

Emerson iTone iPod Docking Station - Woot Cellars Polyphemus - 9 Random Craps! - Nike Nano Armband - 3 Monkeys - Emergency Roadside Kits - Bacon Salt - Flashing woot off lights - Tons of woot shirts

mikecris

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mikecris

Anyone know what kind of needle is used in these?

mollymerula

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mollymerula

Ooo. Has anyone had any experience with that adorbs phonograph? Amazon hasn't got any reviews up.

I AM THE DESTROYER OF THREADS

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 17 Private Messages daveinwarshington

My A/T turntable (AT PL-120) is a great turntable.
I bet this one is good too...

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 17 Private Messages daveinwarshington
mikecris wrote:Anyone know what kind of needle is used in these?

Audio Technica and Shure make some nice moderately priced phono cartridges.
I'm pretty sure that all of these come with a cartridge already, though.
Right now, I have a Shure M97 that sounds great. I also have a Shure M78 for playing the 78's I have. Those 78's actually sound better on my old-old tube gear, though...

emarcyn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emarcyn

Anybody have any guesses as to how the speakers on the Pyle PTTCSM70BT Retro Vintage Bluetooth Wireless Streaming Turntable & Speaker System will sound?
Any experience with Pyle speakers in general?
I have a suspicion they'l be crappy.

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown

For anybody wondering about cartridges. The Audio Technica turntable has an "integral" cartridge. Which I am pretty sure means it cannot be replaced with an upgraded one (although they are quick to point out the needle can still be replaced to deal with regular wear and tear).

Upgrading the cartridge is an extremely common upgrade for turntables. My current cartridge, a 2M Red, is not even in the "high end" range and still costs more than this whole turntable (I was fortunate enough to have been given my turntable though, so I could splurge on the specifics).

I am not saying don't buy it. It's a good starter turntable at a decent price. But if you like to tinker with things, maybe hold off.

And yes, those are RCA jacks/plugs. Digital (fiber optic, HDMI, USB) would be very counter productive here since the signal would be converted from Analog (vinyl) to Digital (fiber optic) to Analog (speaker wire). Each conversion has potential to introduce unwanted noise/loss depending on the quality of the converter. The benefit of digital signals is that they are immune to magnetic interference. For most home systems you will not notice a difference though. If you are worried about perfection get some super fancy RCA cables that are resistant to magnetic interference; that is the best you can do with analog. Pro-tip, avoid running any audio signal wires near any power supplies since power supplies are the single biggest source of magnetic interference in the household.

Fun fact, the grid in North America is running at 60hz to produce AC current. This is what results in magnetic interference a lot of places. As an audio cable runs past an AC power supply it is influenced by the magnetic field fluctuating at 60hz which is then heard as distortion and noise when listening to something. Before you complain though, remember that this also allows you to use a household fluorescent light as a timing strobe to calibrate your new turntable's speed (with a calibration disc). Also, AC is the only way to transmit power on a national scale, so that's not about to change.

I am not an electrician, so google and do your own research if you're worried. I am just talking from experience and my own googleing (plus I write software for electrical utilities, so there's a tiny bit of background and I'm surrounded by EEs constantly).

nadh

quality posts: 7 Private Messages nadh

Outside dimensions (shelf depth needed, open lid/base height required) on the Pyle Retro Combo Turntable?

Would love this on the shelf of 1930 cottage.

mreiser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mreiser

Does the pttcsm70 have a headphone input?

manhandsha

quality posts: 34 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

mreiser wrote:Does the pttcsm70 have a headphone input?

Yep. The Pyle item page has a pic you can zoom in on. It's on the front.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

ranara01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ranara01
mcoffell wrote:It is indeed analog, which only makes sense as records (and tape cassettes) are an analog medium of sound. To have a optical (or toslink, or USB, etc) output, which are digital outputs, would require the record player to have an Analog-to-Digital converter (opposite of the normal Digital-to-Analog Converter - DAC). That would increase the price substantially, and kind of defeat the purpose...

This has a built-in pre-amp, which means it'll connect to any modern receiver through the stereo RCA plugs (red/white).

Good price, though Amazon has it for only $10 more if you are Prime member (so, 2-day shipping). 4.4/5 reviews. I've been eyeing this one, but might go a fancier route from Orbit Turntables.

I have both this table and the UTurn Orbit Plus. The AT is a great value and convenient, but the Orbit table sounds much better and tracks tough vinyl better (doesn't skip).
There's also an upgraded stylus for the AT over at LPGear.com for those interested.

SZH

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SZH

Just today received the Pyle PTCD4BT Bluetooth Wireless Streaming Classic Retro Style Record Player Turntable with CD Player, Cassette Deck, USB Reader, AM/FM Radio, Headphone Jack & Built-in Speakers, and unfortunately, sorry to report, it is indeed crappy. I was hoping it would be kind of nice, since it's supposedly marked down from $350, but this thing is definitely not worth the $90 it costs. The parts are all light flimsy plastic, the whole thing looks exceedingly fake, the sound is bad, and it buzzes any time it's plugged in, even with the power off! If I could return this thing I would.

Big Luni

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Big Luni

Please do not buy any of these turntables (except maybe the Audio-Technica) unless you want your records ruined. You really should step up to something with an adjustable tonearm like the Audio-Technica AT-LP120, or the U-Turn Orbit.