Staff

Poll: "In loving RAM of Windows XP" - R.I.P. 2001-2014
  • 42.7% - You came, you saw, you gave us SP 3. 471
  • 13.3% - The BSoD unmercifully strikes again. 147
  • 14.7% - Good riddance! They should have formatted you long ago! 162
  • 27% - Linux sends their deepest condolences. 297
  • 2.3% - Something else I would like to say is...(comments) 25
1102 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

willi007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willi007

It's curtains for you!

PocketBrain

quality posts: 44 Private Messages PocketBrain

I'm going to have to install some flavor of Linux on that that old XP netbook. I'm thinking maybe Mint with the LXDE desktop. Or maybe I can just sell it on eBay and get Ubuntu installed on that Exynos 5 tablet you guys keep selling. Assuming you get more in.

Marcusx70

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Marcusx70

Ubuntu Linux to the rescue. It can install right over XP and give you the basic functionality of an operating system for free.

rascul22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rascul22

You were still better than Vista.

elsupreme

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elsupreme

XP didn't have native wireless built in. It was as old as original OSX.

Why do people cling to such an old, poorly featured OS?

MISRy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MISRy

From bleeding edge to bled dry.

PocketBrain

elsupreme wrote:XP didn't have native wireless built in. It was as old as original OSX.

It was pretty stable, and followed by Vista. Also, XP came packed with a massive number of computers; most people don't want to re-buy a $400 appliance every three years, so the resistance is understandable.

PenDancer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PenDancer

imo - XP was the BEST, most robust, non-buggy OS ever. sorry to see the last of the old-guard standard work retired.

gone are the days of quality - replaced by cheap, substandard replaceable crap. the youngsters now don't know the difference, sad to say.

cbrenner99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbrenner99

Apple all the way!!

Carl A. Brenner

merlot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merlot
PenDancer wrote:imo - XP was the BEST, most robust, non-buggy OS ever. sorry to see the last of the old-guard standard work retired.

gone are the days of quality - replaced by cheap, substandard replaceable crap. the youngsters now don't know the difference, sad to say.

this.

moles1138

quality posts: 8 Private Messages moles1138

Only recently was upgraded at work. Served me well.

Home was only changed when a bearing went bad in the hard drive. Of course that was a couple years ago and may have been replaced eventually anyway. I don't NEED a lot of powerful computing to get thru life.

Boxymoron

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Boxymoron
elsupreme wrote:XP didn't have native wireless built in. It was as old as original OSX.

What I always found amusing was that Vista/7 required more computer to run a game than XP.

rascul22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rascul22
Boxymoron wrote:What I always found amusing was that Vista/7 required more computer to run a game than XP.

Right? I did love my XP...

nololtoday

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nololtoday

It will be sorely missed if all future windows machines will come with 8 pre-installed >.<

auntiesuze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auntiesuze
nololtoday wrote:It will be sorely missed if all future windows machines will come with 8 pre-installed >.<

Having bought a new machine a year ago (sadly replacing my beloved XP!), I can confirm that they do.

djarvie1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djarvie1

True that! This situation is the only really compelling reason to change. Now what am I gonna do? Increases the likelihood of switching to a Mac. . . .

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

djarvie1 wrote:True that! This situation is the only really compelling reason to change. Now what am I gonna do? Increases the likelihood of switching to a Mac. . . .

garrisonaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garrisonaw

My old xp tower is on its death bed anyway, so this is just a little push to replace it before it completely kicks the bucket.

PocketBrain

nololtoday wrote:It will be sorely missed if all future windows machines will come with 8 pre-installed >.<

Actually, some manufaturers (HP for example) are going out of their way to provide Windows 7 on some new models.