zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6]

Asus 10.1" VivoTab Smart 64GB Tablet
Price: $239.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Apr 09 to Monday, Apr 14) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

NewEgg Reviews

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3465 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page and solid reviews (4.4 out of 5.0) over at microcenter.com

keithh143

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keithh143

is this full Windows 8?
everywhere just says "windows 8"
can I run desktop apps on it?

is it upgradable to 8.1?

TIA

DavidHart

quality posts: 12 Private Messages DavidHart
keithh143 wrote:is this full Windows 8?

is it upgradable to 8.1?

TIA

Yes, full Windows 8 and Yes, upgradable to 8.1. See the Newegg comments here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230826

pupyluvr

quality posts: 51 Private Messages pupyluvr

Dearest Woot!

When you take photos of the items for sale could you please do us the favour of labeling the inputs, outputs and buttons?

For example: where is the volume +/- button?
In one photo there is a USB (What kind?) and then 3 other things. A quick and dirty photoshop would be so very helpful. If you are going to show all the buttons and so forth it would be nice to know what the H-E-Double Hockeysticks they are by simply looking at the photos and reading the descriptions.

Dear Hater,
Yes I know the description is available in the next tab but what I want is an illustrated photograph.

Like this...

Thank you

brettroos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brettroos

Does anyone know if this can sync up with chrome cast?

wi1dey3djok3r

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wi1dey3djok3r

TLDR: If you want a cheap tablet with full Windows 8.1 that can run apps, stream Netflix, browse the internet, and check email this may be for you. It looks nice but does feel cheap when held compared to other high end tablets like the Surface(s). No full sized USB port is an inconvenience.

I had some hands on time with an Asus VivoTab Smart for a couple of days because a friend lent it to me. Overall, I really liked the size and weight of the tablet. The polycarbonate back does flex a little and won't feel as solid as a surface product, but it helps make this tablet that much more lighter. I also really enjoy the simple black, matte aesthetic of the tablet. The major missing component hear is a full USB port, so you'll need to buy a micro USB to USB converter for all your mouse and flash drive needs. The other downside is that this tablet doesn't turn on immediately when the battery is dead and you plug it in. It takes a few minutes of charging before it will turn on, which I've never experienced with another device. While it can run full Windows 8.1 smoothly, the hardware specs are pretty lackluster so dont expect anything past your typical web browsing, email, netflix tablet niche.

It doesn't seem like this comes with the TranSleeve or bluetooth keyboard, but many people looking at this tablet will probably be interested in them. First, the good news, I really like the keyboard. It's very thin and low profile; so while it has some flex, I think the chiclet keys were nice and spaced well for a tablet keyboard. You do have to manually turn it on and off as it has no sleep mode. It also has to be charged separately from the tablet since there is no connector between the two. It also doesn't work while being charged... So maybe the keyboard looks and feels nice but doesn't have award winning functionality. Next, the bad news. The TranSleeve, in my opinion, is terrible. Half of the sleeves have a manufacturing defect where it doesn't fold and maintain shape properly (read the Amazon reviews). And the magnet used to attach it tot he tablet isn't strong enough in my opinion, making everything feel insecure. It has this weird bar/pin thing that moves so you can squeeze the keyboard between the sleeve and the tablet, but it just doesn't feel reliable and strong enough as a cover or an origami stand. I do like the idea of it folding, and it can accommodate two different tablet positions, but the TranSleeve a poorly executed idea.

Overall, I liked my time with the VivoTab smart but didn't buy one for myself because of its price at the time. At this price point, its hard to pass up on the VivoTab Smart even if it from the dated first wave of Windows tablets.

anoff

quality posts: 2 Private Messages anoff
brettroos wrote:Does anyone know if this can sync up with chrome cast?

Yes, you just run the Chrome browser on it, just like you would on a laptop or desktop computer

anoff

quality posts: 2 Private Messages anoff

For a little bit more, you can get an 8 incher off Amazon that has a newer generation Atom processor that has literally double the performance. Plus, the smaller tablets are much easier to use with one hand.

bjfranck

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bjfranck

Great Tablet for everyday use. I use mine at work all the time. I have a bluetooth keyboard as well as mouse but only use them when I need to get real work done.

Its not the fastest, some programs lag, but considering I get over 10 hours of battery use I think its a good mix of speed / battery life. I have the $15 Poetic case, works great.

The ports all feel cheap like I am going to wear them out but they all still work fine.

This is real windows and you can run anything on it. (huge advantage over Apple)

I would say for any Windows tablet 64GB is a minimum.

Very happy customer here. I paid $350 for it new.

ptalvensaari

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ptalvensaari

Does it come with Office 2013 Home & Student version as appears new ones do?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

keithh143 wrote:is this full Windows 8?

is it upgradable to 8.1?

TIA

With Windows 8, Microsoft reduced the number of editions of the OS. There's

Windows 8
Windows 8 Pro

So if it says "Windows 8", it's not the Pro edition.

Hope that helps.

ptalvensaari wrote:Does it come with Office 2013 Home & Student version as appears new ones do?

Sorry, No. Windows 8 does not ship with Office. If some are doing so, it's a special promotion between the manufacturer & Microsoft.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

crazyjoemama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazyjoemama

Isn't there also Windows RT?

jasonmichaeljones

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasonmichaeljones

I purchased one of these from my local microcenter about 8-9 months ago. I want to say that I paid less than $280 new. At the time I though it was a 'can't lose' deal.

The charging / low battery design for this tablet is a total fail. It was mentioned in a previous post, but it really needs to be emphasized. If the battery is run down to dead, it will be totally unresponsive for what seems like an hour until it charges enough to decide to turn on. Worse - i dont think the charger has enough output to run and charge the device at the same time - so if you start using it right when it will finally turn on, it will stay barely charged until you put it down.

Forgive my ignorance if this is common design for tablets these days, but my 2 year old acer android tablet was not designed like this.

No USB and lack of full size SD slot are also killers.

2Gig ram is painful.

I know it is a budget model, and on first inspection I was blown away by the apparent value (hence the reason for the purchase). I ended up wiping it and returning it within 3 days of purchase.

Message from me is - don't think you are getting more value then the money spent. You are not.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain
crazyjoemama wrote:Isn't there also Windows RT?

And Windows 8 Phone...

This runs Desktop/Laptop Windows 8. You should be able to run simple desktop apps fine. More demanding apps (3D games, drafting programs, RAM-intensive) will balk at the simple hardware.
Asus tells us that you can indeed update your VivoTab Smart to Windows 8.1 (32-bit).

I don't blame you for avoiding Windows RT.

leftturney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leftturney

I'd have to go with the Dell Venue 8 Pro. It's $40 more than this tablet on amazon but it is a much faster and newer atom cpu than this one.

mrengr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrengr
pupyluvr wrote:Dearest Woot!

When you take photos of the items for sale could you please do us the favour of labeling the inputs, outputs and buttons?

For example: where is the volume +/- button?
In one photo there is a USB (What kind?) and then 3 other things. A quick and dirty photoshop would be so very helpful. If you are going to show all the buttons and so forth it would be nice to know what the H-E-Double Hockeysticks they are by simply looking at the photos and reading the descriptions.

Dear Hater,
Yes I know the description is available in the next tab but what I want is an illustrated photograph.

Like this...

Thank you

I'm with you! Love those pix with labels. As an engineer, this is how we present things. The pictures speak for themselves. Good way to get a quick overview without out much click, click, click.

grrrr

haywardk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages haywardk

Why is it when big players latch on any Expansion goes away???

Happened with Google and the (Android) Nexus now with Microcrap no SD expansion though nice its at least 64GB then agin as BLOATED at Winblows is probably no more or even less usable than a 32 GB Android.

But by just ASUS Transformer... Tab alone micro SD, with KB dock second battery and full SD slopt and host USB, Again all missing on the big boy versions? What are they so afraid of???

My TF700 32 GB native... 32GB micro, a 32GB SD in KB, and found a mini SD micro USB adapter that the card literally fits in the USB A plug and barely sticks out sealing the USB port when not needed and bringing total to 128 GB

The Crapple's are even worse but why does this happen with the big boys on Android too when the actual maker ASUS has no such restrictions on their own products at the same or near price.

haywardk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages haywardk
crazyjoemama wrote:Isn't there also Windows RT?

Yes and stay away from them, unless you enjoy being crippled....

I don't think there are any new ones, it was the crippling way how bloated Windows is they could make it fit on a 32GB or less device, and likely why this on is 64 but for user space likely not much more than a 32 Android/Linux.