WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Evolution Power Bank Portable Charger - 2 Packs

These days, the race for survival belongs to those whose devices are fully charged. These portable USB chargers will enable your genetic seed to triumph over that of your low-power rivals.

kiegelis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kiegelis

Output of 5V/800mA is not very good, A lot of hi-end phones pull more when that when being used.

agtdave

quality posts: 1 Private Messages agtdave

I do not recommend them.

I bought these during the last sale. The 1st bank was DoA, contacted Woot for a replacement. Was told there was not any at the time, and was refunded the purchase. The 2nd bank died a few days later.

It will charge itself but will not charge any devices or power itself off. Still unable to figure out a way to turn it off after charging. Open to any suggestions but right now just have two bricks.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici
agtdave wrote:I do not recommend them.

I bought these during the last sale. The 1st bank was DoA, contacted Woot for a replacement. Was told there was not any at the time, and was refunded the purchase. The 2nd bank died a few days later.

It will charge itself but will not charge any devices or power itself off. Still unable to figure out a way to turn it off after charging. Open to any suggestions but right now just have two bricks.

Sorry to hear that they suck. I have (luckily) just one, I charged fine but I haven't tried to use it yet to charge something. I guess I need to; if it doesn't work it's headed for the trash can.
So many of these little electronic accessories are like that now. They either don't work at all, or only work a few times before they quit. Chinese junk. Sorry, but until they stop making stuff like this they aren't going to have a decent reputation for manufacturing.
I got some Sony brand chargers that are bigger, heavier, and really do work. I think with this type of product you should stay away from the off brands.

klacour

quality posts: 17 Private Messages klacour
lorenzodemedici wrote:Sorry to hear that they suck. I have (luckily) just one, I charged fine but I haven't tried to use it yet to charge something. I guess I need to; if it doesn't work it's headed for the trash can.
So many of these little electronic accessories are like that now. They either don't work at all, or only work a few times before they quit. Chinese junk. Sorry, but until they stop making stuff like this they aren't going to have a decent reputation for manufacturing.
I got some Sony brand chargers that are bigger, heavier, and really do work. I think with this type of product you should stay away from the off brands.

I have to agree. My wife got one of these at an IBM tech conference. We took it on a vacation last week along with my trusty old Duracell charger I bought off woot we'll over a year ago. This POS turned itself on a couple times and ran down to nothing, then the input micro USB port stopped working, unable to take a charge. The Duracell? Worked like a charm. $30 for two seem overpriced for such a flimsy device.

A woot minion since 2006 ...

redskins420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redskins420

I was an Krampus and didn't really read the reviews, thinking "hey these things show up all the time, surely woot wouldn't keep putting up inferior product." Well, I was WRONG. These are $30 paper weights (well, $15 each, so maybe you consider that a bargain). First, it isn't that great of a price for portable chargers. Second, it gave me about 15% on my phone before dying.

Just stay away from these.

And woot, why do you keep selling something that is clearly inferior?

LittleBee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LittleBee

Bought two. One was defective where it plugs in and the other gets hot and dies pretty quickly. Not a fan of these

agtdave

quality posts: 1 Private Messages agtdave

Wow, just found this thread as well. Seems like these die fairly quickly all the time. I thought I was alone.

http://tech.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5356828

Bluepeapod

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Bluepeapod

Santa brought these for me in the stocking and they worked great on the 4.5 hour trip to "Grandma's House" to keep the iPod and iPad going after the initial battery charge died. The kids were able to keep incessantly playing "Cut the Rope" and "Angry Birds" without interruption. Seems to have been a good deal - happy so far!

ManiacDan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ManiacDan

Like most people, I've found that these things crap out after a few attempts at using them. Get a real portable battery.

pcfrye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pcfrye

I have one and it charges just fine but when I try to carry it in a bag or purse, it turns on when bumped by other objects and runs the power out. I taped a piece of popsicle stick on the sides and that helps but sure looks stupid. Pretty sure I wouldn't invest in another one.

tanj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tanj

One works, one doesn't. Let's see what woot does to replace it.

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975

you guys can have the gamble that come with these.

I always did like yardsales.

MuddyG

quality posts: 9 Private Messages MuddyG

I'm looking for two paperweights, about the size of these things. Based on the reviews here, I'm in.

Filth. Flarn. Filth.

NuclearWinter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NuclearWinter
agtdave wrote:I do not recommend them.

Agreed. One died after one discharge and won't do anything, the other will charge but won't turn on to discharge. $30 paperweights. Stay far away. Woot really shouldn't put these out there anymore.

nfau777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nfau777

Thanks for all the comments and saving me a headache. I've been wanting these, but I'm going to pass.

ManiacDan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ManiacDan
NuclearWinter wrote:Agreed. One died after one discharge and won't do anything, the other will charge but won't turn on to discharge. $30 paperweights. Stay far away. Woot really shouldn't put these out there anymore.

I'm shocked they're going for so much on woot. These things are literally $4-5 in bulk from china, my company got a few thousand of them branded with our logo for conferences and stuff. Then we realized that handing out malfunctioning fire hazards wouldn't really endear us to the public, so we threw them away.

coffeenogrumpy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coffeenogrumpy

glad i read the reviews...
tanx guys

Sunburn57

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sunburn57

I bought two of these a while ago, and was happy with their performance. I could daisy-chain them to get them charging, and for the most part they didn't make Windows a nuisance by showing up as an eternally-disconnecting/reconnecting device (as batteries sometimes do when I charge off a PC).

I didn't like that they would turn themselves on all the time, but I was satisfied with the performance. However, the eventually did fall apart (after some abuse of living in my shoulder bag/man purse).

Woot says I bought them in late February 2013, and the first one actually broke open (bottom end fell off) around Thanksgiving. They were good enough for the $20 I paid for each of them at the time, but I'm much happier with the Gorilla Gadgets Power Bank I got here in the last month or so.

--
Burnt by the Sun

ychia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ychia

http://www.amazon.com/6000mAh-Portable-Rapid-Recharge-External-adapters/dp/B00EF1OGOG/

Same price, more capacity than both of these added up, higher output than both of them combined, with smart ports. 10 step LED indicator, smaller, weighs less.

A while ago there was a deal on Gorilla Gadgets batteries. Those are good. These aren't.

marknmd

quality posts: 4 Private Messages marknmd
pcfrye wrote:I have one and it charges just fine but when I try to carry it in a bag or purse, it turns on when bumped by other objects and runs the power out. I taped a piece of popsicle stick on the sides and that helps but sure looks stupid. Pretty sure I wouldn't invest in another one.

Yes - my daughter complained about this exact same thing.