lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Kindle Touch Wireless Reading Device
Price: $54.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard or $9 Two-Day or $12 One-Day
Condition: Amazon Certified Refurbished

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

lichme

quality posts: 3127 Private Messages lichme

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Kindle Touch Wireless Reading Device
Price: $54.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Dec 23 to Tuesday, Dec 24) + transit
Condition: Amazon Certified Refurbished

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
12/1/2013 - $54.99 - 55 comment(s)
11/29/2013 - $54.99 (Woot-off) - 27 comment(s)
11/27/2013 - $54.99 - 0 comment(s)

12/17/2013 - $54.99 (Woot Plus)

lichme

quality posts: 3127 Private Messages lichme

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3812 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this unboxing and review

As I said the last time this was sold, I own several Kindle models and do enjoy this one. It is light and easy on the eyes.

casey00001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001

Considering where this is coming from shouldn't it be a lot cheaper?

upl853

quality posts: 1 Private Messages upl853

I purchased one of these earlier this year from Amazon. I also have a Kindle Fire HD, but find that the Touch keeps my eyes from becoming strained so that I can read for longer periods of time. Great price...I paid more for mine. I use the text to speech option often.

AYXN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AYXN

anyone know if this is the one with ads?

kasgo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kasgo
AYXN wrote:anyone know if this is the one with ads?

I couldn't find mention of it in the specifications, I may have missed it, but I think that yes this model includes ads. "Includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers" seems to indicate this.

I remember on my brother's kindle it showed an ad for hand lotion or something everytime it went to sleep, also there was a banner on either a top or bottom edge when you're browsing your library, I don't think while you're reading though.

wootrufian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootrufian

Probably... Looking at the list of refurbs @amazon.com they all have ads

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_375210362_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1001176271&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_r=0YMVD4G87CAV9365N182&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1604366062&pf_rd_i=B007TKK5SG

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Yes but Kindle calls it:

Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers

You can make a one time payment to remove these screensavers though

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

susanzell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages susanzell

I noticed that some of the cases selling for this Kindle have lights. Can I read in the dark with this Kindle like I can my Kindle Fire?

inod3

quality posts: 6 Private Messages inod3
susanzell wrote:I noticed that some of the cases selling for this Kindle have lights. Can I read in the dark with this Kindle like I can my Kindle Fire?

Yeah, if you buy a case with a light or put a light on it. The kindle itself is not illuminated. The only e-ink kindle with illumination is the paper white.

bmikols

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bmikols
susanzell wrote:I noticed that some of the cases selling for this Kindle have lights. Can I read in the dark with this Kindle like I can my Kindle Fire?

Used a Kindle touch for over a year and loved it.... Then the Kindle Paper White version 2 came out. I like reading at night and my hubby would gripe about the light being on. The PaperWhite solved the problem. After having the Paperwhite for 4 weeks, I tried to go back to the touch and my eyes noticed a huge difference. Gave the touch away the next day. All in all, the touch is great until you have tried the Paperwhite. I do miss the text to speach of the touch, but not enough to want to go back for that alone.

murphicus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages murphicus

Can any PDF be loaded on these? Will the text to speech work with non-Amazon books?

"Friendship is like peeing your pants,
Everyone can see it, But only you can feel the true warmth"

shampshi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shampshi
ThunderThighs wrote:Yes but Kindle calls it:

Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers

You can make a one time payment to remove these screensavers though

You can also disable wifi, and eventually it goes away, except for a small banner reminding you that if you turn on your wifi, threppey will bug you with ads. Added benefit, turning off wifi increases battery life.

shampshi

murphicus wrote:Can any PDF be loaded on these? Will the text to speech work with non-Amazon books?

The text to speech works with non-amazon books. I haven't had any problems with PDFs, but don't use them much.

shampshi

Bought mine as a refurb from cowboom for $35 this summer after stepping on my 1st gen kindle. If you read in bed, don't let it slip off the side. I like it a lot, and covers for it are CHEAP through Amazon since it is a discontinued model. My one complaint is that sometimes I accidentally do some super-secret gesture that puts me ahead about 20 pages and I have to find my place again. That could just be my quirky motions though.

tuxbuddy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tuxbuddy
shampshi wrote:Bought mine as a refurb from cowboom for $35 this summer after stepping on my 1st gen kindle. If you read in bed, don't let it slip off the side. I like it a lot, and covers for it are CHEAP through Amazon since it is a discontinued model. My one complaint is that sometimes I accidentally do some super-secret gesture that puts me ahead about 20 pages and I have to find my place again. That could just be my quirky motions though.

Mine also turns pages with only the slightest touch--even by the cover. Aside from that, I love my Kindle Touch--the ease of reading, the text-to-speech option, and the 'experimental' browser.

annwat

quality posts: 5 Private Messages annwat

chiming in here...

i have this model, love it and would recommend it to all.

the special offers & sponsored screensavers do not affect or interfere with your reading experience.

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm

I really love my Kindle Touch! Since I got it, I have been reading soooooo much more. I purchased a light that attaches to the top of the device. It works ok. I have also loaded pdfs to it and have been able to read them with no problem. There are directions for doing this here.

Also, I love that I can look up words with just a touch! My husband just mentioned that this feature is why he is reading books on his Kindle Paperwhite more than print books these days.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

W00tyMcW00tster

quality posts: 3 Private Messages W00tyMcW00tster

Bought one on a previous Woot. Had to buy a cover with a light for it. Even though the e-ink is VERY easy to read in good lighting, my old eyes have trouble when the lights are a little more dim. IMO, the ads are completely non-intrusive. Definitely not worth paying to disable. I agree with whoever said the price is still a little high, considering the source.

jrs1980

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jrs1980
shampshi wrote:My one complaint is that sometimes I accidentally do some super-secret gesture that puts me ahead about 20 pages and I have to find my place again. That could just be my quirky motions though.

A vertical swipe will bring you to next or previous chapter (depending on if it's an up or down swipe, of course).

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

guitarex

quality posts: 1 Private Messages guitarex

For the people with issues about lighting saying they had to get a cover with a built-in light here's a suggestion I have used for years with my first and second generation Kindles.

I do a lot of my Kindle reading at night when my wife is trying to sleep next to me. I got a headlamp flashlight that has an optional red beam. The red beam REALLY brings out the contrast on the Kindle screen in a fantastic way and it is not a bright light that wakes up my wife. you can get them for about $12 at Lowes.

shortwave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shortwave

alternate use of text-to-speech

The Text-to-speech feature of this Kindle can be used to turn e-books into audio books, of course. But you can also use TTS to automate the page turns when your on the treadmill.

The speed of the TTS feature is adjustable. I use it as much with the volume turned down completely as with it turned up. On a treadmill or exercise bike it is nice not having to touch the screen to turn the page.