philgonet

quality posts: 11 Private Messages philgonet
eulbricht wrote:I run a small office and we have 5 VOIP lines. Would there be anything holding me back from getting a few of these instead and ditching my phone service? Not sure why this wouldn't work - but I don't understand exactly why this is free each month either.

Since these are listed as "home phones" you might have an issue with getting them registered and using them for a business. There is evidently a cap on the amount of calls you can make, but I bet it's pretty high... and when you register them all to one address they might give you a hard time...
but of course YMMV.

philgonet

mclaughlinph wrote:I have an unlisted number...if I move my landline to Ooma, anybody know if the # stays unlisted? How does that work?

Hmmm good question... I can tell you that the local phone company stopped sending me a phone book though.

buzzbuzz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages buzzbuzz

Thanks for all the answers on my phone number porting/porting back question. I am going to pull the trigger on this.

Next decision will be trying to save $40 porting fee by signing up pre-paid $10/month per first year premier service.

philgonet

bluemaple wrote:@philgonet, interesting tidbit - if you spent any energy selecting that 'temporary' number for the activation process, and decide you want the Ooma Premier package, that 'new, temporary' number can become the second number that comes with the Premier package.

Tidbit #2: I started an online chat prior to activating and demonstrated reluctance at the Premier package price. They then discounted the first year for me. Note also that if you sign up for the Premier package they give you a free item which can include porting your old number - so that saves $40.

I looked at the premier package, but since I am a Luddite by nature, I opted not to bite. I generally hate talking on the phone, and if I spend 5 minutes on it in a conversation I am ready to hang up and move on... That's why my primary cell phone is a 15 cent /minute plan from Verizon, for which I buy $100 of minutes a year and still roll over a few hours each time!

philgonet

buzzbuzz wrote:Thanks for all the answers on my phone number porting/porting back question. I am going to pull the trigger on this.

Next decision will be trying to save $40 porting fee by signing up pre-paid $10/month per first year premier service.

See bluemaple's post above re: negotiating a discount on your Premier service... you never know!

SumDuud

quality posts: 22 Private Messages SumDuud

I too have an Ooma and I am happy with it. I was previously on my cable companies VOIP, where I ported my number from a real land line, then I ported the number to Ooma. We don't use our home phone, but have it in case there is an emergency, then the kids can call 911. I do have the premium, which is nice to have the voicemails forward to my email and I don't have to be bothered by school automated recordings and such. I have thought about cutting that but the $10/mo isn't that big of a deal for the convenience (call log, 911 alert - texts me if someone calls 911 been used once, voicemail to email and so on). I got one, likely from woot over a year ago, refurb and when I registered it and activated it they gave me a 1 yr warranty. I've recommended it to others and I'd recommend it to you if you are considering. I did have some issues with it cutting out, but moving it from behind the router to in front of the router fixed it (internet goes from modem to Ooma to router, rather than modem to router to Ooma, cant do it if you have a router/modem combo).

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

buzzbuzz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages buzzbuzz

Do tell. Did you get a better deal than that $40 fee waiving for Premier package from Ooma?

bluemaple wrote:@philgonet, .... ....

Tidbit #2: I started an online chat prior to activating and demonstrated reluctance at the Premier package price. They then discounted the first year for me. Note also that if you sign up for the Premier package they give you a free item which can include porting your old number - so that saves $40.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 590 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

philgonet wrote:Hmmm good question... I can tell you that the local phone company stopped sending me a phone book though.

Wish mine would. I don't have a land line and my front porch is currently home to two phone books waiting for trash day.

Woot does not allow referral links or codes. Please do not post these. They will be deleted.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rhmurphy

quality posts: 19 Private Messages rhmurphy

Interesting that this comes up today. My Vonage service is up for renewal soon and I was considering changing to the Telo.

Then I looked at the cost. Note: this is NOT "free". There's a bunch of early adopters that get free basic Telo service, but new customers aren't getting that deal. You're paying a monthly fee that's supposedly for taxes, etc.

So, you can get the basic service for less than $10 per month in taxes. But basic is, well, basic.

You don't get caller ID with name (all you see is a phone number) unless you opt into Premier at another $10 per month. Premier also gets you the "personal blacklist" that allows you to permanently drop annoying telemarketers, so perhaps it's a worthwhile investment. But it's not a super deal compared to Vonage.

And, read the Amazon reviews. Their customer service is apparently pretty horrid, even discounting for the type of person that hooks this up to their 64K IDSL line and can't understand why the call quality is bad. Note: this, like Vonage, requires at least a 250 KBPS connection if you're going to have reliable service, unless you're willing to disconnect everything else in the house while you make phone calls.

Woot! Now 100+ woots for me!
That's 87 woots (Including Twelve Bats On Crack!), 12 Sellout.woots, 8 wine.woots and 4 kids.woots, and finally, 2 shirt.woots!

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
buzzbuzz wrote:Do tell. Did you get a better deal than that $40 fee waiving for Premier package from Ooma?

@buzzbuzz, I don't recall the exact discount from the standard $119 Premier package price. (Note the standard price is $10/month or $119/year and that initial $119 gets you a 'free item" which could be a number port or an Ooma accessory).

The disconted price might have been to something like $99 for the first year so it didn't make things free by any means. But I figured since we were going to port our old number anyway, $99 - 40 = $59 for the features made it worth the try.

Unfortunately now we're hooked on the Premier features! ;-)...

Getting a text on both our cell phones any time someone leaves a voice mail, I use concurrent ring on my cell phone since the second line is a business line, call screening, blocking features, etc... And a big one: auto call forward when your Internet is down. We were up north camping once and I started to get home calls on my cell. Found out it was due to our home Internet service being down!

See the comparison here:
http://www.ooma.com/app/support/feature-comparison-between-ooma-premier-and-basic

TCayer

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TCayer

I've had mine for over 3 years! I pay between $3.71 & $3.76 per month in taxes. Call quality is fine. I can send the occasional fax... If you're really into the phone, the Premier services are awesome! (Call blocking, forwarding to cell or other number, emailed voice mails, all for around $10 per month.)

philgonet

ThunderThighs wrote:Wish mine would. I don't have a land line and my front porch is currently home to two phone books waiting for trash day.

You do of course mean RE-CYCLING DAY right TT?!!

lipinski77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lipinski77

Is there an easy way to migrate a Vonage number to Ooma? I am ready to leave Vonage behind.

philgonet

lipinski77 wrote:Is there an easy way to migrate a Vonage number to Ooma? I am ready to leave Vonage behind.

I am pretty sure OOMA would be GLAD to help you with that...
(but if it is as complicated as porting a land line number it is SUPER SIMPLE!)

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

@rhmurphy, if you're happy with your Vonage service great - stay with it.

But for those folks who have not made the leap to VoIP phone service, do your research - look at the reviews.

I've never heard of anyone paying "less than $10 per month" for Ooma. The fees (taxes) are more like $3-4 per month.

And unlike Vonage, Ooma does not have a list of routers it works with because it seems to work with any router.

Regarding customer service, Ooma just works. You shouldn't have to contact them. I did due to something I did myself, not their fault, and found their support to be fine.

rhmurphy wrote:Interesting that this comes up today. My Vonage service is up for renewal soon and I was considering changing to the Telo.

Then I looked at the cost. Note: this is NOT "free". There's a bunch of early adopters that get free basic Telo service, but new customers aren't getting that deal. You're paying a monthly fee that's supposedly for taxes, etc.

So, you can get the basic service for less than $10 per month in taxes. But basic is, well, basic.

You don't get caller ID with name (all you see is a phone number) unless you opt into Premier at another $10 per month. Premier also gets you the "personal blacklist" that allows you to permanently drop annoying telemarketers, so perhaps it's a worthwhile investment. But it's not a super deal compared to Vonage.

And, read the Amazon reviews. Their customer service is apparently pretty horrid, even discounting for the type of person that hooks this up to their 64K IDSL line and can't understand why the call quality is bad. Note: this, like Vonage, requires at least a 250 KBPS connection if you're going to have reliable service, unless you're willing to disconnect everything else in the house while you make phone calls.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

We've used Ooma for many years.
We love it.
The old unit finally died, so we got this Telo unit.
Now, we have to pay taxes every month, but that's it.
The old one was completely free of any charges.
I guess the taxman found me...
Glad we have Ooma.

ps. Customer service was fast, friendly, they let me keep my old Ooma number free.

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0
philgonet wrote:Hmmm good question... I can tell you that the local phone company stopped sending me a phone book though.

Legally, the local exchange company must send a phone book. Some companies are trying to change that law and Verizon has received approval to stop delivering in 11 states. AT&T is following suit to stop deliveries in 14 states.

So, if you do not want them in your state, call your representatives and have them change the law.

Here's just an example of the law for Washington state where it states it can be provided electronically and only to those people who specifically request it in writing. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=480-120-251

pigsnfish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pigsnfish

I bought this system a little over a year ago from Woot. Our household has been without a landline for about 8 years. However, we force our four kids to share one cell phone. Yes, we are throwbacks to another era. Sue us. That means when one of them is gone and the rest are home, there's no phone.

Insert Ooma. I was pretty skeptical when I purchased this last year. It has been nothing short of wonderful. I think I pay about $3 a month (911 fees, etc.) to have a 'home' phone.

No one except family members and really close friends have the number, so when the phone rings, we know it's going to be important.

One of the best things we ever did. It set up flawlessly and as long as there is an internet connection, we have a home phone.

fnordus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fnordus
Stumpy91 wrote:What experiences have Ooma users had with transferring there existing land-line phone number to Ooma?

This was seamless for me. When I moved about 15 miles 3 years ago, the phone company refused to let us move our phone number, but porting it to ooma let us bring it along. I will not post about the telo otherwise though, since our main phone service is still over an ooma hub, the pre-telo device, and I only have a telo for a rarely used dedicated fax line (which works great, but I have barely used).

gramcarol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gramcarol

We have a land line only for our alarm system. Is this compatible with alarm systems? Can we really get rid of the landline and use this. Will it send signal to Alarm Co.?

philgonet

gramcarol wrote:We have a land line only for our alarm system. Is this compatible with alarm systems? Can we really get rid of the landline and use this. Will it send signal to Alarm Co.?

Seems to be mixed responses on the web after a short search. Try opening a chat with Ooma at:
Ooma Chat
(click on link)

opps

quality posts: 1 Private Messages opps

No brainer, if you do not have one, and still use a land line, get this!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 590 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

philgonet wrote:

Heh. Of course. Missed that too for the last 2 weeks.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

skinner456

quality posts: 2 Private Messages skinner456

I bought this 4 years ago right after it came out and before anyone had heard of it. I've never had a problem and never looked back. I paid $200 for my box back in 2009 -- at $79.99 this is a steal.

philgonet

philgonet wrote:

ThunderThighs wrote:Heh. Of course. Missed that too for the last 2 weeks.

Whewww... you had me worried there for a while...

kevine711

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevine711
eulbricht wrote:I run a small office and we have 5 VOIP lines. Would there be anything holding me back from getting a few of these instead and ditching my phone service? Not sure why this wouldn't work - but I don't understand exactly why this is free each month either.

It's not exactly free each month. You pay the taxes and fees depending on your zip code. Find out your costs here:
https://go.ooma.com/tax_calculator

philgonet

opps wrote:No brainer, if you do not have one, and still use a land line, get this!

assuming you DO have high-speed Internet service (believe it or not, some areas of the US don't...)

cbakeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbakeman

Ooma offers a small business package that'd probably be a better fit: http://www.ooma.com/products/business

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

I currently have four phones connected to the land line. Will I still have four, or only the one connected to the Ooma device?

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

cbakeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbakeman

We've had a Telo for 18 months now, and overall I am happy with it. Here are some things I have learned about the product over that time:

• Cool feature: If your house is wired for old-school phone, you can hook up the device to your wall jack in one room and plug in a phone in another room. I use a phone splitter on the back of the Telo, have a phone plugged in on one end of the splitter, and the wall jack plugged into the other end. My fax machine's in a completely different room.
  • While it's possible to send faxes using Ooma, it's not very reliable, and there's some configuration needed to make it all work http://www.ooma.com/app/support/faxing-ooma. IMO, if you want faxing to work well with Ooma, you're probably looking at adding the Premier subscription so you get access to Premier Fax: http://www.ooma.com/app/support/premier-fax

ozala888

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ozala888
philgonet wrote:OK, this may be kind of long, but hopefully will help you make a good decision...

Like many others, I bought my refurbished Ooma Telo VoIP through woot! (in my case it was July 2012 or about $500 ago...) I liked the idea enough that I bought one for my 80+ year old parents at the same time. (We set up the one for my parents when we moved them to a house next door.) It is seamless if you hook it up to a phone set they are used to using, so there is VERY little learning curve once it is hooked up.

Things I love about the Ooma system:
    1) good quality sound
    2) low cost (about $3.75 a month locally in taxes and fees--great if you are on a fixed budget)
    3) 911 capable (very important if you are 80+)
    4) can connect it to the phone jack to 'energize' the whole house with one unit allowing multiple outlets to be used for wired phones, or being able to set your base set with answering machine somewhere other than near your router/Ooma, such as in the kitchen.
    5) free long distance (extremely important when you move 600 miles from your friends of 60+ years)
    6) cheap overseas rates (important when you have a lot of family overseas.)

Things that can be an aggravation (especially if you are 80+ and not too tech savvy):
    1) may need to be reset if there is a power outage or internet outage. This could be a real annoyance if you have frequent 'momentaries' from the power company in your area.
    2) will occasionally (VERY infrequently) drop calls.

Recommendations:
    1) hook your router and the Ooma up to a cheap UPS system. This will bridge the gap during any power outages up to a 1/2 hour or so and eliminate the need to re-boot the system most of the time. Good for cheap peace of mind, plus if the power is off but not the internet service, you can still use the phone until the UPS battery dies. **NOTE** if you are using a wireless set-up the base unit will HAVE to be plugged in to the UPS for this to work or you will be dead in the water...
    2) IF it does go off for longer, you can always use the power button on the UPS to restart it and get all the parts (router and OOMA) talking to each other properly with just one button to push.
    3) equipment is easily placed in a closet/under a desk etc. where the occasional blue blinking lights won't be such a concern for an older person with early onset Alzheimer's or dementia.
    4) If having the possibility of being out of service for short periods of time is a big concern, buy a pay-as-you-go plan cell phone for emergencies. You can get one for about $100 a year with some plans. If you live next door to elderly parents you are concerned about, consider a cheap (<$35) walkie-talkie set.

Overall, I love both my (and my parents') Oomas and wish I had switched over long ago and as already mentioned, this is the best price on this unit so far. I am even considering buying one as a 'back-up' in the event one of the ones I already have goes belly up...

Hope I didn't ramble on too long...

What is a UPS system?

philgonet

ozala888 wrote:What is a UPS system?

Uninterrupted Power Supply
for instance this one:
UPS
It serves as a surge protector and a battery back-up. This is really handy for this application as it cuts down on the number of events that will cause your router to not talk to your phone system. If you have a wireless phone you can even plug in the base unit into the UPS to allow you to be able to use the phone when the power is off (until the UPS battery dies), since even with a phone company land line you are without a phone if the power goes off and all you have is a wireless set.

philgonet

bolligra wrote:I currently have four phones connected to the land line. Will I still have four, or only the one connected to the Ooma device?

You can connect the Ooma base unit to your wall phone jack and it will energize all the jacks in the house (you WILL have to be sure the phone service entrance line is physically disconnected though)... so yes, you can.
Alternatively if these are wireless phones the answer is still yes, even if you plug the wireless phone base unit into the Ooma directly. (in this case you will NOT have to unplug the incoming land line ...)

ozala888

philgonet wrote:Uninterrupted Power Supply
for instance this one:
UPS
It serves as a surge protector and a battery back-up. This is really handy for this application as it cuts down on the number of events that will cause your router to not talk to your phone system. If you have a wireless phone you can even plug in the base unit into the UPS to allow you to be able to use the phone when the power is off (until the UPS battery dies), since even with a phone company land line you are without a phone if the power goes off and all you have is a wireless set.

Thanks!

ozala888

I found the page where you can calculate how much your basic monthly service will be:

http://www.ooma.com/how-ooma-works/savings

:D

philgonet

ozala888 wrote:Thanks!

You're welcome... and, lest anyone think otherwise I DO NOT work for Ooma I just love their product and service.
Plus being on line here is keeping me from doing any real work around the house...!

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

I've NEVER had a phone call dropped in the 4 or 5 yrs I've had Ooma. (I've been lucky?)

I live in the land of "crappy power", brownouts, power blips, outages (for days), generator power, and haven't needed to reset the unit (except during set-up.

Adding a UPS is a great idea for short outages, though. Just disable the UPS unit alarm that rings during outages.

philgonet wrote:OK, this may be kind of long, but hopefully will help you make a good decision...

Like many others, I bought my refurbished Ooma Telo VoIP through woot! (in my case it was July 2012 or about $500 ago...) I liked the idea enough that I bought one for my 80+ year old parents at the same time. (We set up the one for my parents when we moved them to a house next door.) It is seamless if you hook it up to a phone set they are used to using, so there is VERY little learning curve once it is hooked up.

Things I love about the Ooma system:
    1) good quality sound
    2) low cost (about $3.75 a month locally in taxes and fees--great if you are on a fixed budget)
    3) 911 capable (very important if you are 80+)
    4) can connect it to the phone jack to 'energize' the whole house with one unit allowing multiple outlets to be used for wired phones, or being able to set your base set with answering machine somewhere other than near your router/Ooma, such as in the kitchen.
    5) free long distance (extremely important when you move 600 miles from your friends of 60+ years)
    6) cheap overseas rates (important when you have a lot of family overseas.)

Things that can be an aggravation (especially if you are 80+ and not too tech savvy):
    1) may need to be reset if there is a power outage or internet outage. This could be a real annoyance if you have frequent 'momentaries' from the power company in your area.
    2) will occasionally (VERY infrequently) drop calls.

Recommendations:
    1) hook your router and the Ooma up to a cheap UPS system. This will bridge the gap during any power outages up to a 1/2 hour or so and eliminate the need to re-boot the system most of the time. Good for cheap peace of mind, plus if the power is off but not the internet service, you can still use the phone until the UPS battery dies. **NOTE** if you are using a wireless set-up the base unit will HAVE to be plugged in to the UPS for this to work or you will be dead in the water...
    2) IF it does go off for longer, you can always use the power button on the UPS to restart it and get all the parts (router and OOMA) talking to each other properly with just one button to push.
    3) equipment is easily placed in a closet/under a desk etc. where the occasional blue blinking lights won't be such a concern for an older person with early onset Alzheimer's or dementia.
    4) If having the possibility of being out of service for short periods of time is a big concern, buy a pay-as-you-go plan cell phone for emergencies. You can get one for about $100 a year with some plans. If you live next door to elderly parents you are concerned about, consider a cheap (<$35) walkie-talkie set.

Overall, I love both my (and my parents') Oomas and wish I had switched over long ago and as already mentioned, this is the best price on this unit so far. I am even considering buying one as a 'back-up' in the event one of the ones I already have goes belly up...

Hope I didn't ramble on too long...

nuggy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nuggy

I have 26 wired and wireless devices on my D-Link DIR 655 router with Comcast's best home cable modem internet service available in my area for $59.99....

You do not even need to set up QOS if use the basic principles that the 4 trunk lines out of the router utilize "contention"....

Ooma gets one trunk and the other 3 are wired to other areas in the house where DLINK 8x1 switches reside....

I am upgrading shortly to a new DLink AC router only because of wireless speed throughput advantages.....

I also use some Powerline equipment into some other remote locations to not over load the wireless portion of the network....

I would also recommend a DECT 6.0 phone system (Uniden with 6 phones in my case) as it does not interfere with the 2 or 5 GHZ wireless WIFI bands.....

My system works perfectly and Ooma is the best consumer device on the market.....

And the cost is (Unit price) $79 to $99.....Tax/fees ($3.76 a month)....and $40 to switch your line over (4 weeks and some times longer.....one time)

I put $10 in long distance in my account 3 years ago when I first got the Ooma and am having to re-load for the first time this month.....(free to US.....1 cent to Canada....3 cents to UK type rates)

The PCMAG startup cost is a joke because they are figuring a $199 Ooma price....If you buy from Woot your cost figuring you have good interent service is $125 after switching your phone number over given an estimate of $40 for switching.....

Given that most people pay at least $50 a month for "plain old telephone" service.....you do the math.....and even a triple play where you get all 3 for $99.....AKA..$33 for a third.....

You do the math.....

Vonage is stealing......and Magic Jack plain sucks.....

I have no opinion on Duo......

Enough said.....

philgonet

daveinwarshington wrote:I've NEVER had a phone call dropped in the 4 or 5 yrs I've had Ooma. (I've been lucky?)

I live in the land of "crappy power", brownouts, power blips, outages (for days), generator power, and haven't needed to reset the unit (except during set-up.

Adding a UPS is a great idea for short outages, though. Just disable the UPS unit alarm that rings during outages.

I have had a few instances of service loss with mine and (mostly) my parents, which I chalk up to our ISP (BrightHouse) and Alabama Power issues. That's what prompted the UPS solution--especially for the folks...

daha

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daha

I bought mine from Woot in Jan 2012. It is everything they claim.

Even though Woot sold it as "refurbished", mine appeared to be new in the box, full retail packaging, no sign of prior use.

I don't pay the extra $10/month for premium service (2nd line, audible call screening when voicemail picks up, etc.) so my monthly cost is $3.71 in pass-along fees and taxes.

Setup was quick and easy. As long as you've got power and broadband, it will work.

I had plugged my existing landline wireless phone system into it, and it worked fine. As that got old and needed replacement, I bought the Ooma wireless handsets, and they work fine too. They are handsome and solid.