conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3142 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out the "good" review from pcmag.com

conanthelibrarian

Let's learn how Ooma works

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

I switched from Vonage to Ooma not long ago. I love it. Wish I had switched sooner.

conanthelibrarian

TONS of very good reviews (4.3 out of 5.0) over at amazon

Lance19

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Lance19

I can't say enough good about this machine.
I stopped paying for land line years ago...sound quality is superb...

barnabee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barnabee

Wow, this is $20 cheaper than Woot has ever offered it! I love my Ooma even though I paid the higher price. Great deal!

DeadSerious

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DeadSerious

I have the old Ooma system, and am grandfathered into the absolutely free (i.e. no fees/taxes) plan they used to have. Since I would have to give that up to get the Telo, can anyone who's tried them both weigh in on whether or not it would be worth it to me to switch? I've heard the Telo is better quality sound, but I'm wondering HOW much better.

eulbricht

quality posts: 3 Private Messages eulbricht

I run a small office and we have 5 VOIP lines. Would there be anything holding me back from getting a few of these instead and ditching my phone service? Not sure why this wouldn't work - but I don't understand exactly why this is free each month either.

Houstondon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Houstondon

I bought one years back and upgraded to a newer model. The sound quality is indeed substantially better and the whole $3 I pay in taxes is worth it to me. The only trouble I had was when I was signing up, the phone number I picked belonged to someone else (how the glitch occurred, I cannot say) so there were a few days of sorting that out but the company's support people were great to me.

There were so many premium options available (multiple numbers in different area codes, 800 numbers, many more bells and whistles I just didn't need) that I would recommend the service to anyone. It was far better than any of the others out there too, specifically Vonage and Magic Jack, just make sure to register your number with local 911 authorities.

xavoc

quality posts: 15 Private Messages xavoc
eulbricht wrote:I run a small office and we have 5 VOIP lines. Would there be anything holding me back from getting a few of these instead and ditching my phone service? Not sure why this wouldn't work - but I don't understand exactly why this is free each month either.

Lack of QOS will basically kill you for business use... Dropped calls, audio dropouts etc. Basically you'll piss your customers off.

raygun300

quality posts: 1 Private Messages raygun300

Just chiming in here, I bought an Ooma 3 years ago, it's saved me $30/MONTH x 36 = $1080, so far. Works great. I paid $145 here on Woot for a refurb, and am totally satisfied.

kolme

quality posts: 11 Private Messages kolme

Hey, kinda new to this stuff, but can I make a call while simultaneously surfing the internet, playing a game, etc?

kolme

Sinitron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sinitron
kolme wrote:Hey, kinda new to this stuff, but can I make a call while simultaneously surfing the internet, playing a game, etc?

kolme

Yes, yes you can...

Sinitron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sinitron

Ugh! I literally bought my brand new Ooma this week from Amazon for $130. I'm totally happy with my product but just wished I waited a few more days for this EXCELLENT deal! If you want a landline in your house, this is the best, cheapest option out there. Buy it!

casey00001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001

peterrk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages peterrk

I love mine. Best Woot I ever Wooted. Don't pass this up.

buzzbuzz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages buzzbuzz

A blogger's comparison between Vonage, Magicjack, Skype, ooma, and cable phone.

http://michaelbluejay.com/consumer/phone.html

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0

I've had Ooma service for a long time. My neighbor's house had a direct lightning strike and even though I have surge protectors on everything, it came through the cable modem (the modem stops working if you use a surge protector on the cable), through the router, through the switch, and then killed my Ooma.

I just bought a new Ooma for $99.99 with free shipping. Woot is selling a refurbished one for $79.99 + 5 s/h = $84.99.

When I called Ooma about buying a used one, they cautioned me about a $79 fee that I would have to pay to transfer it from the previous owner to me. New Ooma's or factory refurbished ones do not have this problem.

[MOD: No referral links allowed]

I highly recommend Ooma for home use. It sounds a lot better than some of our Cisco VPN's we use at work but that might be due to my awesome internet connection.

As for the premium services they offer, I don't pay for those. I actually use Google Voice and that number gets forwarded to my Ooma so I get all those Ooma premium services for free with Google.

sunkeyace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunkeyace

I purchased an Ooma via Woot a couple of year ago. I registered the unit and found poor sound quality and an even stranger (weak) "dial-tone". I contacted Ooma Technical Support and said there was nothing they could/would do. They also said that since I had registered the machine, it would cost any "new owner" to pay $65.00 for new registration.. My Ooma is under the bed in the spare bedroom gathering dust.

cengland0

sunkeyace wrote:I purchased an Ooma via Woot a couple of year ago. I registered the unit and found poor sound quality and an even stranger (weak) "dial-tone". I contacted Ooma Technical Support and said there was nothing they could/would do. They also said that since I had registered the machine, it would cost any "new owner" to pay $65.00 for new registration.. My Ooma is under the bed in the spare bedroom gathering dust.

That's the fee that I was warned about if you get a refurbished or a used one from eBay or craigslist. However, I think the fee went from your quoted $65 to $79. Seems a bit expensive for them to just press a couple buttons on the computer to reassign it to someone else. At those prices, it's almost better to get a new one or a factory refurbished one so you at least get a warranty.

I'm surprised you didn't return your Ooma for a refund if the quality was as horrible as you say. Ooma has a "Risk Free 30-day return policy." Of course if you buy it from Woot, all sales are final.

philgonet

quality posts: 10 Private Messages philgonet

OK, this may be kind of long, but hopefully will help you make a good decision...

Like many others, I bought my refurbished Ooma Telo VoIP through woot! (in my case it was July 2012 or about $500 ago...) I liked the idea enough that I bought one for my 80+ year old parents at the same time. (We set up the one for my parents when we moved them to a house next door.) It is seamless if you hook it up to a phone set they are used to using, so there is VERY little learning curve once it is hooked up.

Things I love about the Ooma system:

1) good quality sound
    2) low cost (about $3.75 a month locally in taxes and fees--great if you are on a fixed budget)
    3) 911 capable (very important if you are 80+)
    4) can connect it to the phone jack to 'energize' the whole house with one unit allowing multiple outlets to be used for wired phones, or being able to set your base set with answering machine somewhere other than near your router/Ooma, such as in the kitchen.
    5) free long distance (extremely important when you move 600 miles from your friends of 60+ years)
    6) cheap overseas rates (important when you have a lot of family overseas.)

Things that can be an aggravation (especially if you are 80+ and not too tech savvy):
    1) may need to be reset if there is a power outage or internet outage. This could be a real annoyance if you have frequent 'momentaries' from the power company in your area.
    2) will occasionally (VERY infrequently) drop calls.

Recommendations:
    1) hook your router and the Ooma up to a cheap UPS system. This will bridge the gap during any power outages up to a 1/2 hour or so and eliminate the need to re-boot the system most of the time. Good for cheap peace of mind, plus if the power is off but not the internet service, you can still use the phone until the UPS battery dies. **NOTE** if you are using a wireless set-up the base unit will HAVE to be plugged in to the UPS for this to work or you will be dead in the water...
    2) IF it does go off for longer, you can always use the power button on the UPS to restart it and get all the parts (router and OOMA) talking to each other properly with just one button to push.
    3) equipment is easily placed in a closet/under a desk etc. where the occasional blue blinking lights won't be such a concern for an older person with early onset Alzheimer's or dementia.
    4) If having the possibility of being out of service for short periods of time is a big concern, buy a pay-as-you-go plan cell phone for emergencies. You can get one for about $100 a year with some plans. If you live next door to elderly parents you are concerned about, consider a cheap (<$35) walkie-talkie set.

Overall, I love both my (and my parents') Oomas and wish I had switched over long ago and as already mentioned, this is the best price on this unit so far. I am even considering buying one as a 'back-up' in the event one of the ones I already have goes belly up...

Hope I didn't ramble on too long...

rgbmjb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgbmjb
xavoc wrote:Lack of QOS will basically kill you for business use... Dropped calls, audio dropouts etc. Basically you'll piss your customers off.

Not accurate...... Multiple phone number use and full bandwidth use of your Internet at the same time is entirely possible by setting up your Ooma behind your router and using the router's QOS to cleanly give priority to the Ooma at all times. Works absolutely great in an office situation. The one thing that Ooma needs (and all VOIP devices) is a solid and fast Internet service. If you have any phone call quality issues, it is not due to any Ooma problem but rather your Internet speed problem. Take it from a long time Ooma user.... put the blame on your poor Internet service/speed and don't bash Ooma if your phone quality isn't top notch !!

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple

Just get it. It is easy to set up. It works great. Unlike Magic Jack, the Ooma box works just like an answering machine.

The only folks we know who have had issues found it was due to their wonky Internet connections.

Back when we had an entry level DSL Internet connection Ooma also worked great.

BTW, we also have a Magic Jack that we used to keep a pre-move phone number for a while. No comparison. Everything about the MJ experience felt cheap.

And one of the things Magic Jack owners used to boast about is gone: Magic Jack now charges varying amounts depending on your location for e911 service on top of their annual fee. So for most people there is no operating cost advantage for MJ.

BTW, unless you're a geek, don't mess with a OBi box.

Stumpy91

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Stumpy91

What experiences have Ooma users had with transferring there existing land-line phone number to Ooma?

• 75 total wOOts including
  • 4/01/10 Adventure Crap
  • 12/25/09 Santa's Sack O' Crap
  • 10/23/08, 9/25/09, 3/26/10, 5/26/10, 6/24/10, 9/22/10, 10/21/10, 12/1/10, 1/25/11, 3/9/11, 5/11/11 and 3/22/12 Bundles of Crayons
  • 12 sellout.wOOts
  • 5 shirt.wOOts
  • No kids.wOOts (that I know of)

cengland0

rgbmjb wrote:Not accurate...... Multiple phone number use and full bandwidth use of your Internet at the same time is entirely possible by setting up your Ooma behind your router and using the router's QOS to cleanly give priority to the Ooma at all times.

Although I agree with you, not all routers have QOS settings so that may not always be an option for all purchasers of Ooma. So to get around this limitation, Ooma has two network jacks at the back. One input from the internet and one output to go to your router. This way, Ooma always has priority and any extra bandwidth will go to the router for the other internet enabled devices.

This recommended Ooma connection is available only if your router and internet box (DSL modem, cable modem, etc) is two separate products.

philgonet

Stumpy91 wrote:What experiences have Ooma users had with transferring there existing land-line phone number to Ooma?

Totally painless. In my case, I kept the phone number I have had for 30 yrs and used the one assigned to me by Ooma as a back up during the switch which only took a few days. They were great about notifying us as to when the switch would take place and it was seamless. Plus if you want to change/keep your area code you can do that when you move to a new place so your old friends can keep calling you 'locally'.
(and when you travel, you can 'bring your phone' with you so you can catch your home calls while away. This can be really handy if you are traveling for an extended period of time, such as doing contract work as a travel nurse etc.)

bluemaple

Stumpy91 wrote:What experiences have Ooma users had with transferring there existing land-line phone number to Ooma?

@Stumpy91, we've transferred numbers with both Magic Jack and Ooma.

MJ was a joke - took several tries and it felt like there was nobody on the other end managing it.

Ooma's process clearly was managed. We could dialog with them on the process. Only took about 3 days even tho they claimed it could take longer. And we did not lose any calls - the old service worked until the new service took over. I recall them saying there might be a several minute period of nothingness but we didn't feel it.

Caution for DSL users who are moving a traditional land line associated with the DSL service (true for any move to a VoIP phone service): pulling the land line phone service will kill your Internet connection unless it is managed by your Internet provider and Ooma to happen on the same day. Chat online with Ooma up front.

bluemaple

eulbricht wrote:I run a small office and we have 5 VOIP lines. Would there be anything holding me back from getting a few of these instead and ditching my phone service? Not sure why this wouldn't work - but I don't understand exactly why this is free each month either.

@eulbricht, I use the second phone number that comes with the Ooma Premier package as a backup business number. It works great.

But you might want to check out the Ooma Business service - link here from Woot's mom:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Ooma-Office-Business-Virtual-Receptionist/dp/B00E5GDLLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381925796&sr=8-1&keywords=ooma+business[/url[

afosisa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages afosisa

can anyone who's tried them both weigh in on whether or not it would be worth it to me to switch?

I started with the original as well. I made the switch quite awhile ago so memory is an issue. However, the sound is better - but it was just fine with the older system as well. The main difference is in the new cool look and the ease of setting it up. If you are satisfied in those areas I would stick with the original until it dies on you.

bluemaple

@eulbricht, to your 'why this is free' question...

It isn't.

The Ooma business model is to collect revenue from us up front with the purchase of the Ooma box which presumably costs them less than $10 to manufacture - with the difference going to provide phone service.

If your box breaks you are funding a new run of service when you replace the box. Protect that box! Plug it into a surge protector as with all your electronics.

This also explains why Ooma charges you $79 to activate a used box that wasn't bought from an authorized reseller (like Woot) or them.

Ooma also hopes you'll see the value in their upgrade Premier package @ $119. It does have great features but I do wish it were less expensive than what we paid for the Ooma box in the first place! Perhaps $79/yr would be more reasonable and I suspect a lot more Ooma owners would bite as well.

The only required ongoing cost you'll see is determined by our loving government - taxes. You can check what they would be on Ooma's site but we like most folks pay less than $4/month:

https://go.ooma.com/tax_calculator

buzzbuzz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages buzzbuzz

Newbie Q

If I port my phone number to OOMA, would I be able to port the number back to a cable/phone line later?

I couldn't get an quick answer. This is what's holding me back.

bluemaple

buzzbuzz wrote:Newbie Q

If I port my phone number to OOMA, would I be able to port the number back to a cable/phone line later?

@buzzbuzz, If you can port it out you should be able to port it back. Federal regulations require it.

Apparently there are rare scenarios where you cannot port in the first place but I have not determined what those are.

Check the front end port here:
https://go.ooma.com/phone_numbers

mclaughlinph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mclaughlinph

I ahve an unlisted number...if I move my landline to Ooma, anybody know if the # stays unlisted? How does that work?

philgonet

buzzbuzz wrote:Newbie Q

Yes, in theory you can move it around but you risk having a fee associated with that process. In my case I used the "new" number Ooma gave me when I activated the system for several days to make calls and call my house until I was satisfied that it would be a good product then made the switch, and never looked back!

bluemaple

philgonet wrote:Yes, in theory you can move it around but you risk having a fee associated with that process. In my case I used the "new" number Ooma gave me when I activated the system for several days to make calls and call my house until I was satisfied that it would be a good product then made the switch, and never looked back!

@philgonet, interesting tidbit - if you spent any energy selecting that 'temporary' number for the activation process, and decide you want the Ooma Premier package, that 'new, temporary' number can become the second number that comes with the Premier package.

Tidbit #2: I started an online chat prior to activating and demonstrated reluctance at the Premier package price. They then discounted the first year for me. Note also that if you sign up for the Premier package they give you a free item which can include porting your old number - so that saves $40.

bluemaple

mclaughlinph wrote:I ahve an unlisted number...if I move my landline to Ooma, anybody know if the # stays unlisted? How does that work?

@mclaughlinph, Good question. With the Internet I'm not sure there is any such thing as truly unlisted anymore.

Try an online chat with Ooma to ask:
http://www.ooma.com/support

BTW, yes, to keep costs low Ooma phone support is offshore. I found them to be professional. Perhaps it was just luck, but I've found the online chat support for pre-buy questions to be better.