WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Apple

These Apple products haven't fallen far from the tree. In fact, they haven't even fallen from a tree. They're computer and iPods -- why would they be falling from a tree? That's just silly.
Apple official site

garyrmiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garyrmiller

REALLY!!! 949.99 for a 2 year old 11in macbook air. The specs listed below are for a brand new 11in. model for $50 more. This is ridiculous. People are selling these models on ebay for $500+-. I expect more of WOOT.

ITS 2 YEARS OLD. AT MOST ITS WORTH $700 UNUSED.

11-inch : 128GB
1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
Intel HD Graphics 5000
4GB memory
128GB flash storage
$999.99

teddypimp21

quality posts: 7 Private Messages teddypimp21

For anyone who's looking at buying the iPad Mini; you can find a the same model in stores locally for around $300 new. Microcenter, if there is one near you, often has them on sale for $300 now. Bought 1 about a month ago as a gift for my sister. Best Buy will price match too.

ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming

I'm confused. Refurb 7th gen Nanos are $99 (vs 109+ s/h here) with free shipping at apple.com, and brand new, current model iPod Shuffles are $49, with free shipping (vs 43 + s/h for older model here). Is there something I'm missing?

choralmusic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages choralmusic
ScottFromWyoming wrote:I'm confused. Refurb 7th gen Nanos are $99 (vs 109+ s/h here) with free shipping at apple.com, and brand new, current model iPod Shuffles are $49, with free shipping (vs 43 + s/h for older model here). Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for the heads up. I almost bit on this!

lmaxwellb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lmaxwellb

Thats what I was thinking about the MacBook Air, the new ones (which I am considering) have the new Haswell chip or whatever, that makes the battery last 12 hours, and the price is basically the same.

lamcjunk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lamcjunk

I got one of the refurb tiny shuffles awhile back.....it lasted about 9 months and then simply stopped working. Don't live near an apple store and not worth mailing it in for fixing!

ScottFromWyoming

I love my shuffle, by the way. I have an older ipod, but using it in the car was at least as distracting as texting... I'd look to see who was playing, or try to find a particular song at 65 per. I asked for a shuffle for Christmas and it's weaned me off of that habit.

But the coolest thing is I got audio in my ski helmet, which normally would run a wire down to my jacket, (I'm too cheap for the bluetooth version), but I got a 6" cable for the shuffle and just stuff the whole thing into the helmet's ear flap. Now I can start/stop/change song/volume with my gloves on, just by hitting the right spot on my helmet...

danielm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages danielm

Apple's outlet area has a refurb 11" Air, slightly slower processor but but newer with better memory.

Apple specs taken from
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD711LL/A/refurbished-116-inch-macbook-air-13ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

Woot Air vs. Apple outlet Air

Originally released
Mid 2011 vs. June 2013

Processor
1.6GHz vs. 1.3GHz

Memory
2GB DDR3 RAM vs. 4GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM

Storage
64GB of flash memory vs 128GB flash storage

Graphics
Intel HD 3000 vs. Intel HD Graphics 5000

Wireless
802.11b/g/n vs. 802.11a/b/g/n

USB
2x USB 2.0 vs. 2x USB 3

Price
$950 vs. $850.

So why would pay $100 to get an older computer with a processor thats 0.3GHz faster but seemingly worse in all other respects?

spsmyth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spsmyth

I am puzzled as well. I looked this up on Mactrakcer to confirm the specs. Seller refurbished ones are going for $699 on ebay. The only advantage I see to this sale is that since this qualifies under Apple's one year warranty and you can get Applecare for it, then it is factory refurbished. I would steer clear of seller refurbished unless they have a stellar record. I ONLY buy Apple factory refurbished and have never had one problem, but, price gouging Woot!? Really?

Steve S.

Former Apple tech and general IT guy.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

spsmyth wrote:I am puzzled as well. I looked this up on Mactrakcer to confirm the specs. Seller refurbished ones are going for $699 on ebay. The only advantage I see to this sale is that since this qualifies under Apple's one year warranty and you can get Applecare for it, then it is factory refurbished. I would steer clear of seller refurbished unless they have a stellar record. I ONLY buy Apple factory refurbished and have never had one problem, but, price gouging Woot!? Really?

The MacBooks were stated as Factory Reconditioned with an Apple warranty.

Apple controls the market pricing pretty tightly on their products.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

theco2

quality posts: 86 Private Messages theco2
ThunderThighs wrote:

They are greedy bastards!

One of the many reasons I avoid Apple.

northcjr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages northcjr
teddypimp21 wrote:For anyone who's looking at buying the iPad Mini; you can find a the same model in stores locally for around $300 new. Microcenter, if there is one near you, often has them on sale for $300 now. Bought 1 about a month ago as a gift for my sister. Best Buy will price match too.

When I bought my 16GB iPad Mini from Apple they only charged $329. Why does the listing say it cost $349 MSRP?

output555

quality posts: 0 Private Messages output555
ScottFromWyoming wrote:I'm confused. Refurb 7th gen Nanos are $99 (vs 109+ s/h here) with free shipping at apple.com, and brand new, current model iPod Shuffles are $49, with free shipping (vs 43 + s/h for older model here). Is there something I'm missing?

Yep, this is no deal at all. The iPods refurbed by Apple are the same as new and come with a full one year warranty. If you buy them here you'll pay more and not be assured that they're refurbished correctly. Bad deal.

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark
ThunderThighs wrote:

which is why these shouldn't be showing up on Woot. Seriously a FOUR PERCENT discount on the 16GB 4th Gen Ipad -- buying it somewhere that doesn't charge sales tax results in a bigger savings.

None of these deals are woot-worthy -- at least there was a time when they would not have been. Ahhh well....blah, blah, blah.....

pauzhaan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pauzhaan
ScottFromWyoming wrote:I love my shuffle, by the way. I have an older ipod, but using it in the car was at least as distracting as texting... I'd look to see who was playing, or try to find a particular song at 65 per. I asked for a shuffle for Christmas and it's weaned me off of that habit.

But the coolest thing is I got audio in my ski helmet, which normally would run a wire down to my jacket, (I'm too cheap for the bluetooth version), but I got a 6" cable for the shuffle and just stuff the whole thing into the helmet's ear flap. Now I can start/stop/change song/volume with my gloves on, just by hitting the right spot on my helmet...

I've got my shuffle in my left front ski jacket pocket for the same reason. I wonder if people think I'm purposely hitting my breast, sometimes several times in a row.

Long time Wooter. Never got a Bunch of Clipping Not one.

mugyver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mugyver

Soooooo...I am along the same understanding as everyone else on the macbook air price...I mean, seriously?!

Best Buy sells the EXACT same laptop for 880

What I can't believe is the fact that Woot sold out of them. People should really research more before purchasing. And frankly, if this is what I have to expect from Woot in the future, I will not be coming back.

gwartnet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gwartnet
ThunderThighs wrote:

As I understand it, price coercion is illegal. All Apple can legally do is set a suggested retail price and sell it to a supplier for whatever discounted rate. If any strings are attached to your relationship for price control, then Woot! should report it to the FTC.

According to his biography, Steve Jobs has done it before.

JesterXXV

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JesterXXV

Refurb 7th generation 16GB iPod Nanos are all $99 with free shipping straight from apple.com:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_nano/16gb

This is not a good deal at all.

joshshaman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joshshaman

Someone mentioned the savings on tax here, which is worth noting. Most places offer free shipping though, which though minor, means people will save less.

Also, iPad mini refurb is 279 on Apple.com and 4th gen retina is 419. Not to mention that since Apple is announcing something new about iPads in 2 weeks, the prices will probably drop soon (thus the push to sell now). I just bought the retina refurb from apple.com earlier this week.

djp519

quality posts: 12 Private Messages djp519
northcjr wrote:When I bought my 16GB iPad Mini from Apple they only charged $329. Why does the listing say it cost $349 MSRP?

I was just going to say this. It's sold out anyway, but that listed MSRP of $349 is incorrect. MSRP is $329.

ScottFromWyoming

djp519 wrote:I was just going to say this. It's sold out anyway, but that listed MSRP of $349 is incorrect. MSRP is $329.

Likewise, the 4th-gen shuffle has always been $49.00, not $69.99 as they say here.

jeffwtux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeffwtux

Almost all of these refurbs are cheaper for the exact same refurb item on the apple.com online store. I can't believe that macbook air core i5 2gb ram, 64gbssd sold out. On the apple.com store, you can get the same model with twice the memory & storage for $100 less. People really are suckers for woot

hydrotheace

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hydrotheace
mugyver wrote:Soooooo...I am along the same understanding as everyone else on the macbook air price...I mean, seriously?!

Best Buy sells the EXACT same laptop for 880

What I can't believe is the fact that Woot sold out of them. People should really research more before purchasing. And frankly, if this is what I have to expect from Woot in the future, I will not be coming back.

Well, it seems like all Apple ever has to do is put their symbol on it and there is a large group of people in this country that will buy it the moment of its release without asking any questions.

mjseik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mjseik
ScottFromWyoming wrote:Likewise, the 4th-gen shuffle has always been $49.00, not $69.99 as they say here.

Glad I saw this before I posted the same thing. Yep, $45 down from $69 sounds awesome, doesn't it? $45 down from the actual MSRP of $49, not so much.

zyodei

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyodei

Even on Woot, every single item on this page is a HORRIBLE value compared to its competitors, with the possible exception of the Air.

zyodei

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyodei

The Shuffle probably wins the award for the worst product that ever received popular acceptance. Compare it to the Sansa Clip, which can easily go up to 20GB and have a very useful little screen at just barely bigger, which you can install freaking RockBox on..you just set it to play your whole library on shuffle whenever you turn it on, *boom* you've got a Shuffle, but it can actually also do a dozen other things too..all for $20. ...the Shuffle is just a miserable little product really without a single redeeming feature except mollifying seriously tech incompetent people.

ScottFromWyoming

zyodei wrote:The Shuffle probably wins the award for the worst product that ever received popular acceptance. Compare it to the Sansa Clip, which can easily go up to 20GB and have a very useful little screen at just barely bigger, which you can install freaking RockBox on..you just set it to play your whole library on shuffle whenever you turn it on, *boom* you've got a Shuffle, but it can actually also do a dozen other things too..all for $20. ...the Shuffle is just a miserable little product really without a single redeeming feature except mollifying seriously tech incompetent people.

Yeah! You Tell `Em
You're not gonna sit there and let that jerkface get away with saying that, are you?

garyrmiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garyrmiller

Really why do people make this mistake???
The 1.3 processor is faster. It has a newer architecture. It also boosts to 2.6 when needed. Why are these sold out. I love apple, but people that blindly buy these at higher prices are special. VERY SPECIAL!!!

danielm wrote:Apple's outlet area has a refurb 11" Air, slightly slower processor but but newer with better memory.

Apple specs taken from
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD711LL/A/refurbished-116-inch-macbook-air-13ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

Woot Air vs. Apple outlet Air

Originally released
Mid 2011 vs. June 2013

Processor
1.6GHz vs. 1.3GHz

Memory
2GB DDR3 RAM vs. 4GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM

Storage
64GB of flash memory vs 128GB flash storage

Graphics
Intel HD 3000 vs. Intel HD Graphics 5000

Wireless
802.11b/g/n vs. 802.11a/b/g/n

USB
2x USB 2.0 vs. 2x USB 3

Price
$950 vs. $850.

So why would pay $100 to get an older computer with a processor thats 0.3GHz faster but seemingly worse in all other respects?

kelserzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kelserzz

Thank you! I've had one sitting in my Amazon shopping cart for some time now, I'm definitely going to snag one of those up!