quality posts: 1 Private Messages jboo8706

Awful resolution for a nice computer. 1366x768

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3812 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Not sure which processor is right for you? Check out this handy processor guide

MyPooka

quality posts: 16 Private Messages MyPooka
jboo8706 wrote:Awful resolution for a nice computer. 1366x768

Yup. If I never see a 1366x768 screen on any full sized laptop again, it will be too soon. For sub-notebooks (say in the 10 to 11 inch class), "HD" resolution might be OK. At 12 inches and up, it's a non-starter and automatically strikes the product from consideration, at least for me.

Lacquedem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lacquedem
MyPooka wrote:Yup. If I never see a 1366x768 screen on any full sized laptop again, it will be too soon. For sub-notebooks (say in the 10 to 11 inch class), "HD" resolution might be OK. At 12 inches and up, it's a non-starter and automatically strikes the product from consideration, at least for me.

Wait, can this resolution even display the Blu-Ray video in full resolution? BR is 1080 horizontal lines, right?

kentobin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kentobin

I got one of these at retail price for my 11 year old grandson for school. Works well for homework, League of Legends, and youtube. Needed to add the Classic Shell start button as everyone I know hates the Metro interface including me.

It does support 802.11n but only at 2.4 GHz. You can buy a network board for about $25 on Amazon and upgrade to 5GHz. This is stupid Toshiba.

The integrated graphics chip set that shares memory with the cpu can really slow down processing speed. A separate graphics board would be nice with higher resolution but the problem here is the cost of the laptop starts going up real fast, I know I checked.

Price/performance wise it's actually a pretty good deal even if it's not exactly what you want.

Lacquedem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lacquedem
Lacquedem wrote:Wait, can this resolution even display the Blu-Ray video in full resolution? BR is 1080 horizontal lines, right?

I meant vertical lines of course. The lines run horizontally, and I had a drink, so that's my excuse.

bldkcstark

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bldkcstark
Lacquedem wrote:I meant vertical lines of course. The lines run horizontally, and I had a drink, so that's my excuse.

In the wide screen format, "full HD" is usually considered 1920 vertical lines and 1080 horizontal lines.

Although many resolutions exist, "HD" has a minimum of 720 horizontal lines minimum.

This monitor has 768 horizontal lines and is considered HD, although not the best.

Almost all low cost laptops have this same resolution.

Woot!

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090
Lacquedem wrote:Wait, can this resolution even display the Blu-Ray video in full resolution? BR is 1080 horizontal lines, right?

It won't display it as 1080P, it will scale it down to 1366X768.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

This is a respectable laptop from a respectable brand. And it is Factory Recertified with a factory warranty rather than unknown third party "refurbed".

A mainstream 15 inch, Intel i7 CPU, with Bluray player for $529 is a decent if not mind-blowing deal.

Respectfully, I'm a geek as well, I get the spec chasing. But the 1366 x 768 screen resolution complaining (and Windows 8 complaining) on woot is not going to change the industry standard for mainstream not-new $500 laptops.

Whether Woot replaces $300-500 mainstream laptops with $700-1,000 laptops as its core laptop offering remains to be seem. But since they are in the business of volume, that prospect seems unlikely. Perhaps that 1080p laptop deal that quickly sold out the other day is a hint of the future.

BTW, shouldn't be a deal-killer but while this laptop doesn't have a backlit keyboard or Bluetooth it does have gigabit (1,000 Mbit) LAN/Ethernet.

angrynerdgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angrynerdgirl
MyPooka wrote:Yup. If I never see a 1366x768 screen on any full sized laptop again, it will be too soon. For sub-notebooks (say in the 10 to 11 inch class), "HD" resolution might be OK. At 12 inches and up, it's a non-starter and automatically strikes the product from consideration, at least for me.

+1

bluemaple

Gotta love the 100% Toshiba laptops in the classroom indoctrination in the photos! :-)

You'd think they're trying to imitate Apple on the university campus. We have kids in school and it seems at least half the students have Apple laptops.

bigsquish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigsquish

I know this may seem silly, but is it too much to ask for a picture of the BOTTOM of the laptop? I want to know how much work is involved to upgrade ram or replace hard drives.

elaswany

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elaswany

Guys I need a quick advice, I will need a new laptop by the end of October cuz I will give mine to my brother. I just need a good machine for entertainment i.e. store & play my music, watch movies, internet browsing & gaming. Is this a good deal or should I wait till the end of October so that laptops usually get cheaper with time?

bluemaple

elaswany wrote:Guys I need a quick advice, I will need a new laptop by the end of October cuz I will give mine to my brother. I just need a good machine for entertainment i.e. store & play my music, watch movies, internet browsing & gaming. Is this a good deal or should I wait till the end of October so that laptops usually get cheaper with time?

@elaswany, there will always be another great deal "next week". And prices for the same performance always fall over time.

While this laptop is a bit odd in having a high end CPU mixed with middle of the road other specs (other than the Bluray player), it is priced well.

Note this model appears to be Costco spec. That often means they pump up some of the specs to make it stand out vs SAMs, etc... Due to Costco's very friendly return policy it could also indicate a perfectly good laptop was returned.

Buying a higher end CPU will make you happier using this laptop a year or two longer than with a lower end CPU. If you're hard on laptops or could care less about the Bluray player, it would be a waste. In that case get a $400 laptop.

elaswany

bluemaple wrote:This is a respectable laptop from a respectable brand. And it is Factory Recertified with a factory warranty rather than unknown third party "refurbed".

A mainstream 15 inch, Intel i7 CPU, with Bluray player for $529 is a decent if not mind-blowing deal.

Respectfully, I'm a geek as well, I get the spec chasing. But the 1366 x 768 screen resolution complaining (and Windows 8 complaining) on woot is not going to change the industry standard for mainstream not-new $500 laptops.

Whether Woot replaces $300-500 mainstream laptops with $700-1,000 laptops as its core laptop offering remains to be seem. But since they are in the business of volume, that prospect seems unlikely. Perhaps that 1080p laptop deal that quickly sold out the other day is a hint of the future.

BTW, shouldn't be a deal-killer but while this laptop doesn't have a backlit keyboard or Bluetooth it does have gigabit (1,000 Mbit) LAN/Ethernet.

I need a quick advice, I will need a new laptop by the end of October cuz I will give mine to my brother. I just need a good machine for entertainment i.e. store & play my music, watch movies, internet browsing & gaming. Is this a good deal or should I wait till the end of October so that laptops usually get cheaper with time?

elaswany

bluemaple wrote:@elaswany, there will always be another great deal "next week". And prices for the same performance always fall over time.

While this laptop is a bit odd in having a high end CPU mixed with middle of the road other specs (other than the Bluray player), it is priced well.

Note this model appears to be Costco spec. That often means they pump up some of the specs to make it stand out vs SAMs, etc... Due to Costco's very friendly return policy it could also indicate a perfectly good laptop was returned.

Buying a higher end CPU will make you happier using this laptop a year or two longer than with a lower end CPU. If you're hard on laptops or could care less about the Bluray player, it would be a waste. In that case get a $400 laptop.

Thanks a lot. I think I will wait for next month better, Cheers :-D

stormshadow999

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stormshadow999

angrynerdgirl wrote:+1

Well, aren't you two special. I think you're looking for expensivelaptops.com if you want those kinda specs.

bluemaple

bigsquish wrote:I know this may seem silly, but is it too much to ask for a picture of the BOTTOM of the laptop? I want to know how much work is involved to upgrade ram or replace hard drives.

@bigsquish, not a silly question at all. Not sure whether the following support page for this model will help - can't see all of the content myself since the site is not tablet friendly.

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=3621632

rfoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rfoose

I pretty much just bought the same laptop directly from Toshiba for $1000.
The differences between what I purchased and what this is.
1. Windows 8 Pro
2. 1 TB Hybrid Drive
3. New

I'd say this is a pretty good deal. Although, I haven't received mine yet so I can't speak to performance.

iCandyXTC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iCandyXTC

Worst brand of computers. Mine burned out after two years, and everyone I know that has purchased one are disappointed too. Starts falling apart almost instantly, very cheap body(and I take care of my things)

kaleido

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kaleido

the video posted earlier shows the bottom of the computer as well.

Daniel Robinson

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090
stormshadow999 wrote:Well, aren't you two special. I think you're looking for expensivelaptops.com if you want those kinda specs.

Really- last Saturday woot had a 17.3" I7 1080P for $500

http://www.woot.com/offers/toshiba-17-3-full-hd-quad-core-i7-laptop

MWPollard

quality posts: 15 Private Messages MWPollard

Full HD 17.3" for $499: http://moofi.woot.com/offers/toshiba-17-3-full-hd-quad-core-i7-laptop-1.
Pros: Lower cost, larger screen, higher resolution, backlit keyboard, WiDi, 4x USB 3.0 vs 2x 3.0 and 1x 2.0. Cons: No Blu-ray, and it says it only has 10/100 Ethernet, though I would question that.

Wow - I woot!ed so much my sig can't contain it all!

My page: http://www.MichaelPollard.org

MWPollard

quality posts: 15 Private Messages MWPollard

Review on the Moofi 17.3" one: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6831&review=Toshiba_satelite_P875_review+desktop_replacement

Wow - I woot!ed so much my sig can't contain it all!

My page: http://www.MichaelPollard.org

bluemaple

gak0090 wrote:Really- last Saturday woot had a 17.3" I7 1080P for $500

http://www.woot.com/offers/toshiba-17-3-full-hd-quad-core-i7-laptop

... and it was a surprising exception, selling out by morning. It was a very sweet deal. Also not a 15 inch - that was a 17 inch, where 1080p would be more important.

bluemaple

MWPollard wrote:Full HD 17.3" for $499: http://moofi.woot.com/offers/toshiba-17-3-full-hd-quad-core-i7-laptop-1.
Pros: Lower cost, larger screen, higher resolution, backlit keyboard, WiDi, 4x USB 3.0 vs 2x 3.0 and 1x 2.0. Cons: No Blu-ray, and it says it only has 10/100 Ethernet, though I would question that.

@MWPollard, yep, that's a very nice deal... but if you don't want to haul around a behemoth it doesn't matter.

bluemaple

iCandyXTC wrote:Worst brand of computers. Mine burned out after two years, and everyone I know that has purchased one are disappointed too. Starts falling apart almost instantly, very cheap body(and I take care of my things)

@iCandyXTC, 'sorry you had that experience. Completely the opposite of our experience with Toshiba laptops. Not one has broken and the oldest is 7 years. It became technologically obsolete but still boots and runs fine otherwise.

No mainstream laptops are built as solid as they used to be. Laptops require careful handling if you want them to last.

Heat is the enemy - vents on bottom & side not clear? Overheating comes next. That means no using laptops on the carpeted floor, sofa, or on a bed without a laptop board between.

And no valuable electronic device should be plugged into the wall without a brand name surge protector. Never.

kaufmanat1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaufmanat1

Doesn't include "enhance"? Heck, only reason I would even buy a laptop is so I can pull up grainy black and white photos taken by a $30 security camera and use the "enhance" feature until I can get a visual on the old rusted out license plate off the car of the guy who robbed the convenience store four blocks down the street which was caught in the reflection of another car's rear-view mirror which the camera happened to be facing at the time... clearly this laptop is worthless to me.

ashenkhar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashenkhar

Agreed. I can't understand why any modern 15+" laptop is made with a low resolution screen. This computer has amazing specs otherwise.

Sure, maybe it's cheaper... but not much.

christopherlisting

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christopherlisting

I wonder if this is better than the i7 17.3" from two days ago