WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Das Keyboards

Looking for some entertainment? Grab a keyboard! You can type on them. You can play computer games using them. You can collect them and then build a museum displaying the different keyboards you've owned through the ages and then charge admission and make millions of dollars. See! Look at all the things you can do!

Bandrik

quality posts: 79 Private Messages Bandrik

I've heard many good things about Das Keyboards. I'd be tempted to get one, but I already have three Razer BlackWidows lurking about...

GGA1759

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GGA1759

$80 for a keyboard and it's not even an ergo one? No thanks.

gibson99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gibson99

where's the one with blank keycaps? that's what helped make them famous to begin with.

also, part of what makes these nice is the nice clicky keys so you know you hit the key. they're very nice to type on, similar to the old IBM keyboards from the 80s that weighed 10 pounds.

primussucks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages primussucks

I'd get one, but the one that I've been using for the past 15 years that came with my eMachine still seems to be working...

Sakusami

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sakusami

@CGA1759, What you pay for is not the ergonomic design when it comes to a keyboard like this. These types of keyboards are often used by IT professionals because of the type of keys they contain. The Cherry MX Blue keys have a 40 weight to them, and since they are tactile (up down motion with an audible and pressured click) you get a more distinct force feedback from the keys. Often, mechanical keyboards that offer a tactile motion will allow a user to type much faster than a normal keyboard. I know that I can reach about 80-90 wpm on a normal keyboard, but with my mechanical keyboards I am able to type near 110-120 wpm.

@gibson Why not just buy the caps. I know quite a few people that just buys the blank coveres with colorized caps for specific keys like your Thresh [WASD] keys. Nice blackout caps are not expensive.

However, to anyone looking to get a keyboard like this. I would suggest going to a store and playing with the Razer Black Widow Ultimate keyboard first. See if you like the way the tactile keys sound and feel. There are multiple styles of keys out there with regards to the Cherry MX keys. Some, like Cherry Green, are harder to press. Others, like brown, make no noise.

See the following site for a good explanation of what some of the more common colors mean, and what they provide.

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

And the wiki:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX

gjbloom

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gjbloom

If you're in the mood to blow the big dough on a keyboard, get one of these.

torturegarden

quality posts: 4 Private Messages torturegarden

I bought a Mac one over at the mother ship a couple months ago for full price. I wish I waited, but I switched from Windows 7 to Mountain Lion and needed a keyboard with OSX keys. It replaced an IBM Model M, and while the Das isn't identical in key feel, it's pretty close. I have a real hard time with membrane keyboards, my accuracy is horrible with them. Mechanical keys are well worth the money and will outlast a dozen or more cheap membrane keyboards.

ballisticburrito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ballisticburrito
torturegarden wrote:I bought a Mac one over at the mother ship a couple months ago for full price. I wish I waited, but I switched from Windows 7 to Mountain Lion and needed a keyboard with OSX keys. It replaced an IBM Model M, and while the Das isn't identical in key feel, it's pretty close. I have a real hard time with membrane keyboards, my accuracy is horrible with them. Mechanical keys are well worth the money and will outlast a dozen or more cheap membrane keyboards.

Heck if you wanted to stick with the Model M feel you could have got a Unicomp mac keyboard.

bhcompy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bhcompy

I love my Das. Easily the best no frills mechanical keyboard on the market, and very durable, unlike the Razor varieties offered on Woot

BlackAura

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackAura

Just ordered the Ultimate a couple days ago...but this is an awesome deal. Maybe I can return the other one (it hasn't even arrived yet).

rihahn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rihahn

I have been using the PC version of this keyboard for many, many years... Really a stellar keyboard.

But I use Macs at home, and have always lamented the lack of proper keys.

Well, not anymore!

For new folks, I would suggest trying one first. And if you have roommates, expect hateful glares - these things get really loud when you really get typing.

The above was typed by a clever macro...

torturegarden

quality posts: 4 Private Messages torturegarden
ballisticburrito wrote:Heck if you wanted to stick with the Model M feel you could have got a Unicomp mac keyboard.

Unicomp was out of Mac ones at the time.

frankathy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frankathy

Just want to warn the potential buyers this is highly likely a reconditioned item because it only comes with 90 days warranty and sold the same price as their officially reconditioned ones on ebay.

[MOD: Conditions are correct as stated. One is new; Mac is factory reconditioned.]

walterma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages walterma

I read these the newer DAS keyboards arent' what they used to be. specifically people are complaining about the spacebar. do we know where the keyboards are made?

wtcher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wtcher

I have the blank keycap blue switch version. Easily the best keyboard I have ever owned. The product feels very solid, the keys work as nicely as the day I unboxed the unit, and unlike most enthusiast products, it actually looks quite classy.

It's been a year and my keycaps are a tad shiny now, I think black perhaps shows wear more easily than beige, but it isn't particularly concerning as I'm sure they'll last for years and years.

I never did get the number (and symbols) row down though, so I've learned to use the numberpad (not that it helps me with symbols, but c'est la vie).

kjrehberg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kjrehberg

You can buy keycaps from a variety of places like WASD Keyboards or Elite Keyboards. These are Cherry MX switches and there are very fancy artwork keycap sets available, too.

Please note that this keyboard has nothing to do and is in no way comparable to the IBM Model M keyboards.

It uses Cherry MX Blue switches. It's completely different. Please do not spread misinformation.

tysonisringhausen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tysonisringhausen
walterma wrote:I read these the newer DAS keyboards arent' what they used to be. specifically people are complaining about the spacebar. do we know where the keyboards are made?

They switched from Costar to an unknown Chinese manufacturer when they added the media keys on the top row. So assuming Woot is selling the one pictured, it's the good model.

The Mac and blank key versions are still produced in Taiwan, so the refurb Mac one they have is good.

bhcompy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bhcompy
tysonisringhausen wrote:They switched from Costar to an unknown Chinese manufacturer when they added the media keys on the top row. So assuming Woot is selling the one pictured, it's the good model.

The Mac and blank key versions are still produced in Taiwan, so the refurb Mac one they have is good.

I have the one pictured, which is the "old" Model S, and it's great. I have one with Blue and one with Brown switches(the Silent model, now called the "soft tactile"). At this price, you can't really go wrong for a mechanical keyboard. Sure, it's not made of steel and can't be used as a bludgeon like an old Model M, but compared to other modern mechanical keyboards, it's top of the line and very durable.

waynerooney10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waynerooney10
GGA1759 wrote:$80 for a keyboard and it's not even an ergo one? No thanks.

It's mechanical..

[MOD EDIT]We'll just pretend that wasn't there.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

These like the old Northgates I so loved and still use?

CT

tysonisringhausen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tysonisringhausen
bhcompy wrote:I have the one pictured, which is the "old" Model S, and it's great. I have one with Blue and one with Brown switches(the Silent model, now called the "soft tactile"). At this price, you can't really go wrong for a mechanical keyboard. Sure, it's not made of steel and can't be used as a bludgeon like an old Model M, but compared to other modern mechanical keyboards, it's top of the line and very durable.

I have a pre-media key costar made one, wanted a second Das for the office, and received a China one before I knew or understood the issue. The space bar is like a dead fish, all the larger keys feel different, off. I returned and bought a costar refurb. So I'm excited to see the old model back here.

jollyrajr

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jollyrajr

I have an older Das Keyboard and am currently typing on a Unicomp.. In the end, the Unicomp M is my main keyboard and the Das is my keyboard for work. I noticed my typing speed went up by about 3-5 wpm with the Unicomp.. Not quite such an increase on the Das.. Maybe 1-2.. (I'm an 85-90 wpm typer.. Because they had me teaching computer applications last year, I even forced myself to do proper home row technique.. If you can't type homerow, look up the Almena mnemonic method.. I can get most students to memorize the keyboard within 20 minutes...) But, the blank keycaps on the Das get the "whoa!?" prize from students.

Shinespark

quality posts: 33 Private Messages Shinespark

Ugh, glossy grease magnets, plus I wouldn't want to risk getting a new series one even if it's a Costar pictured.

Quickfire Stealth, Leopold or Majestouch for me.

plastickman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plastickman

I have a Rosewill and will probably never go back to a regular cheap keyboard again. The tactile feel of one allows me to type a lot faster as people above have stated. I like my Rosewill and only paid about 20$ more for it. This seems like a really good deal here.

jsteele1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsteele1
Shinespark wrote:Ugh, glossy grease magnets, plus I wouldn't want to risk getting a new series one even if it's a Costar pictured.

Quickfire Stealth, Leopold or Majestouch for me.

The model number they have listed is the DASK3PROMS1-CO, which is the Costar version (No Media Keys)

If you look up the other one (Media keys), it's an entirely different model number -- DASK3MKPROCLI to be precise.

So this is the Costar one, and may be remanufactured or new, who knows at this point.

I bought one anyway because I need a mech board at work.

kevin0425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevin0425

Get a Das Beer Boot to go with your Das Keyboard! (only mildly ghey)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuDtACzKGRs

ballisticburrito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ballisticburrito
jollyrajr wrote:I have an older Das Keyboard and am currently typing on a Unicomp.. In the end, the Unicomp M is my main keyboard and the Das is my keyboard for work. I noticed my typing speed went up by about 3-5 wpm with the Unicomp.. Not quite such an increase on the Das.. Maybe 1-2.. (I'm an 85-90 wpm typer.. Because they had me teaching computer applications last year, I even forced myself to do proper home row technique.. If you can't type homerow, look up the Almena mnemonic method.. I can get most students to memorize the keyboard within 20 minutes...) But, the blank keycaps on the Das get the "whoa!?" prize from students.

You can order a blank set of PBT caps from Unicomp if you want the same thing for yours. ;)

garyoa1

quality posts: 11 Private Messages garyoa1
GGA1759 wrote:$80 for a keyboard and it's not even an ergo one? No thanks.

Yeah. Never saw a mech ergo. I'd love to find one.

Wudooeyeno?

naterad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages naterad

"DAS" is german for the "THE"

These by far are the best keyboards money can buy. I settled on this one after all the reviews of all the $100+ keyboards. So glad i got this. Absolutely love it. Its no sales gimick either about being able to type faster. I am usually around 75wpm on a regular non-mechanical keyboard and on this im in the 90's. My wife was the same as well. You wont be sorry about getting this keyboard.
Just remember blue switches are the loudest and then browns and then the reds. I would suggest the browns, thats what i got.

Review at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DTZrz9Bv5s

judge for yourself.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

frankathy wrote:Just want to warn the potential buyers this is highly likely a reconditioned item because it only comes with 90 days warranty and sold the same price as their officially reconditioned ones on ebay.

Just wanted to confirm that the conditions are correct is stated. One is new; the Mac is factory reconditioned.

The warranty is 90 days on the new one because it is the discontinued model. That's why we were able to get a good deal on this keyboard.

To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

jeffcoonen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffcoonen

For anyone who's been interested in getting a Das Keyboard and is confused by all the talk on Costar/China/Taiwan: this is probably your last chance to get a new Model S Professional that is made in Taiwan by Costar. I believe newer models -- anything with media keys -- are produced in China, and according to Amazon reviews, quality has taken a big hit.

If you're interested in a good deal on a no-nonsense mechanical keyboard with cherry blues, definitely go for this.

(As an aside, if you want to spend more money on something ridiculously awesome, WASD Keyboards, which includes the CODE keyboard previously linked here, all the way.)

wenda86

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wenda86

I am in for two. Been using so many Cherry MX based keyboards (Filco, original Cherry, Ducky, Cooler Master, Rosewill, among a few others) and the Taiwan made Das Keyboard is among the best in the market.

The next step of upgrade would be Topre based switches (again it is love it or hate it thing). Realforce is one of the brands that use this switch.

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats

Dang, woot this is where you really kill it. All of the whining about "wah wah wah woot isn't the same, too many woots, woot plus is the worst" is really unfounded when you can get products like these at this price.

Wish I had pulled the trigger here D:

cusinndzl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cusinndzl

I have been looking into getting a mechanical keyboard for a few months now, and finally ordered the Das Keyboard this morning right before this deal ended.

I can't wait to compare the quality of my high quality rubber dome keyboard to the Das Keyboard's Cherry MX Blue switches.

Does anyone have any information on where these ship from, and how long it usually takes to ship?

derekcftam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekcftam
cusinndzl wrote:I have been looking into getting a mechanical keyboard for a few months now, and finally ordered the Das Keyboard this morning right before this deal ended.

I can't wait to compare the quality of my high quality rubber dome keyboard to the Das Keyboard's Cherry MX Blue switches.

Does anyone have any information on where these ship from, and how long it usually takes to ship?

I'd also like to know! I'm quite the impatient package recipient...

cusinndzl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cusinndzl
derekcftam wrote:I'd also like to know! I'm quite the impatient package recipient...

Services like Amazon Prime have really started to make me impatient when it comes to normal shipping.

I read a little bit and it looks like it takes on average 3-5 days before the product actually ships, and then another 3-8 days for the shipping company to deliver the product to your house.

Edit: It just shipped a few minutes ago after three days of waiting (not too bad really.) Now I just have to wait for FedEx to deliver.

wenda86

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wenda86

Two of mine haven't been shipped yet. It says shipping now on the status from the day after I placed the order.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hi all. On the shipping - this is a new vendor and it's the first time they've handled this many orders at one time. There was a bit of a learning curve to get our orders uploaded to their system.

The goal was that all orders would ship by Friday. @wenda86, I see a tracking number on your order now and it is moving. You should get a tracking email soon. Be sure to check your spam/junk folders.

Thank you for your patience.

To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

guroot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages guroot

I received a tracking number Friday evening but the status has been "initiated" ever since then.
the only thing in the shipment log is "Shipment information sent to FedEx"
as if they haven't been tendered the package yet. Am I reading this wrong? Is fed ex just being slow or is it woot's vendor? Am I being overly impatient?