WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Super Mega Tech Sale!

Sure, all of the other Woot sites get a Woot-Off, but you know what, maybe we didn't WANT a Woot-Off! Maybe we're just fine putting all of our stuff into one giant plus sale and selling it that way. We can even sell them longer this way. YEAH, we're happy without you, Woot-offs. (PLEASE COME BACK TO US)

Quality Posts

rjleete1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjleete1

regarding the pentax k-01...
I love this camera....
I got it about a month ago from woot, and have been having fun with it ever since. Every time i take it out i find a new bad azz feature, not to mention its compatability with other lenses, may of witch you can get pretty cheap. the one down side is that it does not have an optical viewer, only the digial lcd. this may be a problem for some, but the screen is bright and cristal clear.

joshuabgriffin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuabgriffin

I've been kicking myself daily for not getting one of those white Vivitek's the last time they were offered and the one day I don't check first thing in the morning... The next time you're kicking around the warehouse and find one laying around, give me a heads up.

lulzzles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lulzzles

Hopefully people notice that the lime green kindle sleeve is for a kindle keyboard even though it shows a photo of it holding a kindle fire... I mean, maybe it will fit! Maybe...

HenryBob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HenryBob

FYI a new better gen of Tivo is either just out or just about to be out

My normal alias is University of Pi/UniversityOfPi
(though I created this account before I fully began using that)

The Link of Power

[Sig 8/21/13]

arj8138

quality posts: 7 Private Messages arj8138
HenryBob wrote:FYI a new better gen of Tivo is either just out or just about to be out

Truth, but this is an INCREADIBLE deal. A stream itself new is $130. for $20 extra you can get a 4 tuner TiVo.

The new TiVo Roamios announced/available yesterday start at $200 for a 4 tuner, WITHOUT stream builtin. The next level is 6 tuner, stream built in, for $400.

The only feature missing from the Premiere 4 + Stream and Roamio+Stream or Roamio Plus is the Roamios have a button on the front to find your remote.

kyngnothing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyngnothing
arj8138 wrote:Truth, but this is an INCREADIBLE deal. A stream itself new is $130. for $20 extra you can get a 4 tuner TiVo.

The new TiVo Roamios announced/available yesterday start at $200 for a 4 tuner, WITHOUT stream builtin. The next level is 6 tuner, stream built in, for $400.

The only feature missing from the Premiere 4 + Stream and Roamio+Stream or Roamio Plus is the Roamios have a button on the front to find your remote.

Will the new Tivos have the ability to get OTA signals?

/ Why alienate people who don't want cable Tivo?

jtyson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtyson
kyngnothing wrote:Will the new Tivos have the ability to get OTA signals?

Only the $200 TiVo Roamio has an OTA tuner built-in.

crisss1205

quality posts: 5 Private Messages crisss1205

Those Xtreme Cables Lightning to USB cables don't look like they are MFi certified. That means it may not work with your device, and starting with iOS 7 will give you an error whenever you try to charge your device.

Does anyone know if they are MFi certified?

murixbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages murixbob

Why get a Tivo when you can get an HDHomerun for about the same price and not have to pay for a silly subscription fee?
If you have Win7 it has media center for free and works just as well.

scyber

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scyber
arj8138 wrote:Truth, but this is an INCREADIBLE deal. A stream itself new is $130. for $20 extra you can get a 4 tuner TiVo.

There is (was??) a pomo code floating around that got you a stream for free with a purchase of the Roamio. That is a far better deal.

richellelander

quality posts: 18 Private Messages richellelander
murixbob wrote:Why get a Tivo when you can get an HDHomerun for about the same price and not have to pay for a silly subscription fee?
If you have Win7 it has media center for free and works just as well.

Let's see...
There is no cable card so you cannot use your cable provider's TV unless you do the unencrypted channels or an antenna. Those are the lower local channels. I think there are a few non-local ones?
It also does not hook up to your TV. Most people I can haz? a media server type setup. Most want plug and go. The HDHomerun hooks up to your computer so you can watch TV from any computer. If you want to watch it on a TV, you have to have something hooked up to your TV that will stream what is on the computer. In my case, My Tivo stream recorded video from my computer using the free desktop software. If you don't have a TiVo, you would need another computer. There might be other devices that will take the place of a computer, but I don't know of them. Personally, If you want to do free TV, you're better off with an internet streaming device. That's just my opinion, others may have a different one.
Next, The TiVo connects to Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Amazon Instant video, YouTube, AOL video and a few others I cannot think of off the top of my head. They also have games on the TiVo, but I don't bother with those.
Next it's not as complicated to set up. If you want simple and free, you go with an internet streaming device that streams Netflix, Hulu, etc. Or maybe Slinbox. If you want to be able to record video, do internet streaming, and stream video from your computer without a complex setup, stream video from other Tivo's elsewhere in the house, then TiVo is the way to go. I'm sure some other people will weigh in with other options, and most will be good choices.

Also, you can control what your Tivo records from anywhere using your mobile device. I can set up new season passes, delete season passes, set up new recordings, etc. The HDhomerun does not do that as far as I can tell. I also don't think you can set up season passes that will record your show on any channel at anytime. You can change that setting to just a certain time, certain channel or just new episodes. That's part of what you pay for.
Finally, the TiVo stream is a nice little device that will allow you to watch recorded TV on your device from anywhere and even allow you to download the recording to your device. I cannot tell if HDHomerun allows you to download to apple or android device. I know it allows you to stream live TV and I think recordings, but it does not allow you to download them to your device. Just stream.
As far as the price of the service. It is true that they charge a monthly fee but they do have a lifetime subscription. By lifetime, they mean the life of the device. If you sell the box, the lifetime subscription goes with it. Is lifetime service expensive? Yes it is, but for those that rent cable DVR's from their TV providers, you make your money back in a few years and you own it. My mom has a Tivo that is 10 years old and still going strong. Mostly, it's the hard drives that fail on these things and you can buy pre-programmed hard drives so replacing them is not difficult.
Hope this answers your question.

A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist. ~~Franklin P. Jones

Golddess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Golddess
richellelander wrote:Most people I can haz? a media server type setup.

And the woot censor strikes again... *facepalm*

richellelander

Golddess wrote:And the woot censor strikes again... *facepalm*

yep. they come out with some gems somtimes. This one I don't understand, but I didn't bother changing it. It was supposed to say, most people D O N O T W A N T a complicated setup.

A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist. ~~Franklin P. Jones

kylefn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kylefn

Does the can cooler actually work or is it an infomercial gimmick?

arj8138

quality posts: 7 Private Messages arj8138
scyber wrote:There is (was??) a pomo code floating around that got you a stream for free with a purchase of the Roamio. That is a far better deal.

But you only can use the stream with the $200 entry Roamio which is also only a 4 tuner and is still $50 more expensive than this. Entry Roamio is just a re-packaged Premier 4 w/ the remote finder

richellelander

arj8138 wrote:But you only can use the stream with the $200 entry Roamio which is also only a 4 tuner and is still $50 more expensive than this. Entry Roamio is just a re-packaged Premier 4 w/ the remote finder

It also has built in WiFi which this one doesn't. This one you have to buy a seperate wireless N adapter. Those are about $50-$80 new depending on where you get them. I already have one for the Tivo I currently have, so it will not be an added cost. New TiVo owners, who are looking to use wiFi instead of hard wire, will have to fork out the extra cash for WiFi capabilities.

richellelander

kyngnothing wrote:Will the new Tivos have the ability to get OTA signals?

This Tivo requires a seperate antenna but you can use OTA. The latest model has built in tuner for OTA signal.

richellelander

arj8138 wrote:But you only can use the stream with the $200 entry Roamio which is also only a 4 tuner and is still $50 more expensive than this. Entry Roamio is just a re-packaged Premier 4 w/ the remote finder

You can use the stream with this model Tivo, and the one before it.

richellelander

Wired's review of the Tivo Stream. It gives you an idea of what the set up is like and how it works.

cymbalmonkey

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cymbalmonkey

No really, guys... that can cooler, does it work or not?

I need frosty beers more than I need comparisons between TiVo and other alternatives.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

lbolduc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lbolduc

Yes base romero tivo has wifi over this xl4. But xl4 has moca wher as base romero doesnt

ncstrev

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ncstrev
richellelander wrote:Let's see...
There is no cable card so you cannot use your cable provider's TV unless you do the unencrypted channels or an antenna. Those are the lower local channels. I think there are a few non-local ones?
It also does not hook up to your TV. Most people I can haz? a media server type setup. Most want plug and go. The HDHomerun hooks up to your computer so you can watch TV from any computer. If you want to watch it on a TV, you have to have something hooked up to your TV that will stream what is on the computer. In my case, My Tivo stream recorded video from my computer using the free desktop software. If you don't have a TiVo, you would need another computer. There might be other devices that will take the place of a computer, but I don't know of them. Personally, If you want to do free TV, you're better off with an internet streaming device. That's just my opinion, others may have a different one.
Next, The TiVo connects to Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Amazon Instant video, YouTube, AOL video and a few others I cannot think of off the top of my head. They also have games on the TiVo, but I don't bother with those.
Next it's not as complicated to set up. If you want simple and free, you go with an internet streaming device that streams Netflix, Hulu, etc. Or maybe Slinbox. If you want to be able to record video, do internet streaming, and stream video from your computer without a complex setup, stream video from other Tivo's elsewhere in the house, then TiVo is the way to go. I'm sure some other people will weigh in with other options, and most will be good choices.

Also, you can control what your Tivo records from anywhere using your mobile device. I can set up new season passes, delete season passes, set up new recordings, etc. The HDhomerun does not do that as far as I can tell. I also don't think you can set up season passes that will record your show on any channel at anytime. You can change that setting to just a certain time, certain channel or just new episodes. That's part of what you pay for.
Finally, the TiVo stream is a nice little device that will allow you to watch recorded TV on your device from anywhere and even allow you to download the recording to your device. I cannot tell if HDHomerun allows you to download to apple or android device. I know it allows you to stream live TV and I think recordings, but it does not allow you to download them to your device. Just stream.
As far as the price of the service. It is true that they charge a monthly fee but they do have a lifetime subscription. By lifetime, they mean the life of the device. If you sell the box, the lifetime subscription goes with it. Is lifetime service expensive? Yes it is, but for those that rent cable DVR's from their TV providers, you make your money back in a few years and you own it. My mom has a Tivo that is 10 years old and still going strong. Mostly, it's the hard drives that fail on these things and you can buy pre-programmed hard drives so replacing them is not difficult.
Hope this answers your question.

I will agree that Tivo appears easier to use than Windows Media Center. I have been using WMC since 2005 and it wasn't until the digital cable card tuners came on the scene that it really reached it's potential.

The Silicon Dust HD Homerun and the Ceton infinitv both accept cable cards and allow your WMC system to play and record encrypted cable channels. Depending on the model, the tuners can be internal cards or network attached devices. I have both and although I had an Ceton Infinitv first, and it worked great, as soon as I tried to move the pci-e card to a new computer it would not work. Ceton tech support sent me many firmware updates, but it never resolved the issue. So I switched to HDHR. That has been working pretty reliably.

This setup does require your computer to be connected to your TV or for you to have a Media Center extender (Xbox 360 or Ceton Echo) connected to your TV.

I have almost jumped on the Tivo bandwagon many times, but the one thing holding me back is limited storage. WMC lets you add as much storage as your computer can handle. Right now I have 6 2TB HDDs and 3 3TB HDDs full of movies and TV shows.

Other options for the WMC system include Ceton iOS and Android apps for remote controlling and scheduling. There is also an app called Air Video that allows you to stream non-copy protected content to your iOS device.

If you want an easy system, Tivo is the way to go, but I will stick with WMC until Microsoft kills it.

groberts1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages groberts1980

I was thinking about getting the wireless USB adapter, then I found a Wireless-N adapter on Amazon for only 9 bucks and change. I sometimes take work computers on travel, and none of them have internal wireless cards for security reasons. So I could make use of something like this.

wolper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wolper

I bought the Duo Pinball controller last time around and like it but am very frustrated that it doesn't seem to unlock 5 games. It only unlocks 3 (and I think 1 of those if free anyway). There doesn't seem to be any one customer service on this device anywhere; their website is non-existent. I hope Woot! checks it out because I didn't get what was advertised.

ediron2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ediron2

bought several of those slimline usb chargers (Flipit) as stocking stuffers. Thoroughly disappointed; they don't work on iphones or the likes. So much for a clever idea...

migelito

quality posts: 9 Private Messages migelito

Marley Headphones:

the microphone is garbage. I took a call with no noise or anything, and my boss thought i was on speakerphone in the bathroom from the next stall. It was fun trying to explain.

mss2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mss2
kylefn wrote:Does the can cooler actually work or is it an infomercial gimmick?

Looks like the answer is "Yes". It does work, but you have to fill it with ice. (The battery is used to spin the can, presumably to allow more warm contents to hit the cold edges and speed the process.)

But at that point, you can get the same results by filling a bowl with ice and water and sticking the can in yourself. (I used just this method to quickly cool down some cans in a hotel ice bucket last week.)

So it works, but the extent to which it makes the process more convenient strikes me as a little dubious. (I'd thought it had a built-in Peltier cooler or some such.)

Randomly googled review (from CBS Pittsburgh) at http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/07/23/does-it-really-do-that-frost-boss/

SunnyLea0

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SunnyLea0
richellelander wrote:yep. they come out with some gems somtimes. This one I don't understand, but I didn't bother changing it. It was supposed to say, most people D O N O T W A N T a complicated setup.

Hang out during a woot-off. Not that I've seen it used in a while. It's a particularly devious one, though.

Crazyhorse86

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Crazyhorse86

Just went in for a Tivo bundle - xl4.
Ive been eyeing them for a while and looked into the new Tivos. This is a great deal! I dont see a LOT new about the tivos except that its an "all in one" package - wireless, stream, etc. Still though for stream you have to use wired on the DVR according to all that I can find. This one has a bigger hard drive (twice as big) then the middle tier Roamio (which costs a lot more). The new Tivos have a new interface - not sure how great or not it is but its different.
Ive been on a Tivo 2 w/ lifetime for many years. I looked on Ebay - people selling the XL4 with lifetime service is still not as good as buying this bundle and getting lifetime service with it (if you are already a tivo owner - its 399).
Ill pass on what seem like minor improvements on the Roamio and to me this is a fantastic deal.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
wolper wrote:I bought the Duo Pinball controller last time around and like it but am very frustrated that it doesn't seem to unlock 5 games. It only unlocks 3 (and I think 1 of those if free anyway). There doesn't seem to be any one customer service on this device anywhere; their website is non-existent. I hope Woot! checks it out because I didn't get what was advertised.

if you want woot CS to look into a problem, why not write them directly?

Crazyhorse86

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Crazyhorse86

thought this may help with anyone wondering about the Tivos old (premiere) and new (Roamio). good article and I still think the Premiere xl4 here if an absolutely killer deal esp since the bundle comes with the stream.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423377,00.asp

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
ediron2 wrote:bought several of those slimline usb chargers (Flipit) as stocking stuffers. Thoroughly disappointed; they don't work on iphones or the likes. So much for a clever idea...

Thank you for letting us know - you saved me money!

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
cymbalmonkey wrote:No really, guys... that can cooler, does it work or not?

I need frosty beers more than I need comparisons between TiVo and other alternatives.

I found this review, which says the cooler is the real deal.