2%
10%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wchong4

quality posts: 12 Private Messages wchong4

I seriously have no idea if these are any good because the people who seem to own them don't seem to be the type of people who would objectively determine if the $200+ they paid for headphones was actually justified.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3346 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lot's of comments from when this was offered in June

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3346 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's read this "excellent" review over at cnet.com

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

These aren't the best sounding headphones out there but they will make you so cool in the eyes of your friends.

/s

81prelude

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 81prelude
wchong4 wrote:I seriously have no idea if these are any good because the people who seem to own them don't seem to be the type of people who would objectively determine if the $200+ they paid for headphones was actually justified.

Bingo. I would like to vote this a quality post.

brandoramo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brandoramo
wchong4 wrote:I seriously have no idea if these are any good because the people who seem to own them don't seem to be the type of people who would objectively determine if the $200+ they paid for headphones was actually justified.

Well, if you look at any other $200+ set of headphones, they usually have detailed specs listed somewhere on the box. Even crappy brands have the specs listed. Every Beats headphones box, ad, and webpage I've seen do not have any specs listed. I personally don't think Beats are any better than a $40 set of over-ear Skull Candy headphones. I've you're going to drop +200 on headphones, AKG, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, or Beyer Dynamic is the way to go.

“No comment” is a comment.

badboypolar

quality posts: 12 Private Messages badboypolar

I have these, got them as a gift. They sound great, and with paired a HTC phone with beats they sound even better. That said, they are tight on my head and I'm 7 1/4" hat head. They barely fit my brother who wears size 8 hat. Also if you wear Gunnar glass they will press into your head a bit more. I wear them mostly at work to block out the noise, which works great even at low volume.
I would recommend if you want some high quality headphones and have a smaller head. Also battery life is about 6 months if using them for 6 hours a day 5 days a week.

lolamarya

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lolamarya

I had a pair of Beats HD Solo headphones and I got rid of them as quickly as I could. It's all about the name. They boost the bass on music a lot, so people who like a lot of bass (mostly hip hop) seems to like them. I have some Bose in-ear IE2 headphones and those compared with the Beats was night and day. I had to crank up the volume with the Beats and things were not crisp and clear like with my Bose.
I'm sure I could find a better sounding pair of headphones, but I love the way the Bose fits and I have zero complaints

bandedcat10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bandedcat10
brandoramo wrote:If you're going to drop +200 on headphones, AKG, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, or Beyer Dynamic is the way to go.

This, all day. I was young once and bought an $80 pair of Skullcandy DJ cans. I thought they sounded great. Flash forward a little under a year and I picked up some Sennheiser headphones on sale for $15. MUCH better than the Skullcandy's. I got a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 cans for 50% off at $75 and they're the best quality headphones I've ever owned and super comfortable.

When it comes to Beats or Skullcandy, they're the same as Tommy Hilfiger jeans. You're paying for the name and the name alone.

antwillia1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages antwillia1

True story:

I was at the dump last winter, about to throw my recyclables into the huge bin, when I spotted a pair of Beats headphones at the very pinnacle of the heap. I thought "what the hell" and I grabbed them. Took them home and they didn't work. I took them apart and found a loose wire. I soldered it back in place, and voila!

The bass is overly redundant. We have a pair of Sony Studio headphones that my wife got for about $50. The Sony ones aren't as comfortable, but they sound about as good. My advice - if sound is important, save your money. I spent ten dollars on a new cord, and it was worth it. But I'd buy something else for this kind of cash.

aoviss

quality posts: 23 Private Messages aoviss
bandedcat10 wrote:This, all day. I was young once and bought an $80 pair of Skullcandy DJ cans. I thought they sounded great. Flash forward a little under a year and I picked up some Sennheiser headphones on sale for $15. MUCH better than the Skullcandy's. I got a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 cans for 50% off at $75 and they're the best quality headphones I've ever owned and super comfortable.

When it comes to Beats or Skullcandy, they're the same as Tommy Hilfiger jeans. You're paying for the name and the name alone.

My Skullcandy in-ear headphones are great for the $10 I paid for them.

Beats are overpriced BLING without any jewels in them. I bought a fugazi set from a chinese importer for $7 to play a prank on my friend who has these. The $7 counterfeits SOUND BETTER than his set he paid FULL retail for at an airport kiosk (another dumb move...anyone notice these while flying? They are everywhere)

xlaxplaya

quality posts: 4 Private Messages xlaxplaya
lolamarya wrote:I had a pair of Beats HD Solo headphones and I got rid of them as quickly as I could. It's all about the name. They boost the bass on music a lot, so people who like a lot of bass (mostly hip hop) seems to like them. I have some Bose in-ear IE2 headphones and those compared with the Beats was night and day. I had to crank up the volume with the Beats and things were not crisp and clear like with my Bose.
I'm sure I could find a better sounding pair of headphones, but I love the way the Bose fits and I have zero complaints

1. Don't compare the Solos to the Studios. They're miles apart in quality.

2. You can't say "it's all about the name" and then recommend Bose headphones in the same breath.

Hello, beautiful.

OldMatador

quality posts: 13 Private Messages OldMatador

Funny,I just picked up new headphones today. Heard these, but in the end I preferred the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro. Big cans. Great sound. $150. A steal. Sennheiser makes some of the best cans on the market without the glitz of Beats or Bose. With those, you're paying for OK headphones and a ton of marketing.

jhollifield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhollifield
xlaxplaya wrote:1. Don't compare the Solos to the Studios. They're miles apart in quality.

2. You can't say "it's all about the name" and then recommend Bose headphones in the same breath.

That's funny

If someone really wants some good cheap cans, I can't recommend the ATH-M50s enough. The price has increased dramatically on the mothership, but they'll likely come back down around $110.

I've only listened to Beats in BestBuy, but they're decidedly mediocre

kevito

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevito

Buy a pair of Sony MDR-V55's(or any 50+ dollar of headphones) for about a fourthish of the price, and enjoy better sound quality, and the joy of not feeling like a fool for paying 200 bucks for a pair of headphones that get outperformed by just about every mid level price range headphone on the market.

brandoramo

jhollifield wrote:That's funny

If someone really wants some good cheap cans, I can't recommend the ATH-M50s enough. The price has increased dramatically on the mothership, but they'll likely come back down around $110.

The ATH-M50s are great! I picked up a few of these for the home studio as replacements for my worn out AKG k240s.

brandoramo

OldMatador wrote:Funny,I just picked up new headphones today. Heard these, but in the end I preferred the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro. Big cans. Great sound. $150. A steal. Sennheiser makes some of the best cans on the market without the glitz of Beats or Bose. With those, you're paying for OK headphones and a ton of marketing.

I agree that Sennheiser doesn't rely on marketing tactics to move product. They simply release consistently excellent gear at a fair price.

ctebow75

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ctebow75

I own a pair of Studios, M50's, and QC3's. I like the M50's for recording and studio work because they do a great job at replicating how music truly sounds. I prefer the QC3's for the iPod and travel because the noise cancellation is great, they are very compact and comfortable, and I think the Bose headphones enhance the compressed MP3's well. The Studios go really well with my Oakley's, they've got a lot of bass, and they're louder than the other 2. I really don't have anything positive to say about them. They're as big as the M50's, have terrible noise cancellation, and they don't sound that great. I would like to get a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s, but I think I've got too many headphones. Should have saved the money instead of buying the Beats.

corvettejoe

quality posts: 22 Private Messages corvettejoe

My thoughts exactly.

... also make sure you buy a matching color pair of sneakers to match whatever color beats you buy. It's the way!

corvettejoe

brandoramo wrote:I agree that Sennheiser doesn't rely on marketing tactics to move product. They simply release consistently excellent gear at a fair price.

I have a pair of sennheiser in-ear buds...best I've EVER owned. Paid $20 for them on clearance (newer model was out). I've been amazed at the clarity, richness, etc of the sound that comes out of those things for such a cheap price.

I also have to praise the Klipsch One headphones my wife and I both got on previous woot-offs for less than 1/4 the prices of a set of beats. Amazing sound quality. Sure, it's got the bling klipsch name, but they are well made and sound excellent for the cheap price we paid for them.

corvettejoe

Fun history lesson on Beats from Gizmodo:

http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre-the-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

As someone who has listened to every pair of headphones ever made (not really, but a heck of a lot), Beats are a lot like Bose in that they've got so much customer hype and brand equity in them, they can charge an exorbitant amount for a fair quality product. Again, a fair quality product. Beats aren't junk. But they're NO WHERE NEAR worth the price paid.

Sennheiser is a fantastic example of a company who makes high quality headphones at reasonable prices. I own the HD 203's. 50 bucks and they, at least, rivail these Beats.

I heard someone mention Skull Candy as well. Honestly, I think a lot of their products are great buys for the money. Even the super cheap ink'd series sounds pretty damn nice for the $15 price. lol Don't think you'd find another ear bud under $40 to beat them....and I own a pair of Etymotic ER-4P's.

Another worthy of mention would be Grado. The SR60 might look "old school" to many, but they're built to last and sound amazing. Like 80 bucks.

GunsForSale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GunsForSale

They're actually pretty bad for the price. If you're going to buy something with in this price range i highly suggest sennheiser. Want to know what the actual backdoor cost for these Beats costs? 100-150 dollars (You'll see these on the store shelves for $300). Which makes sense because these headphones are more of a fashion accessory then a solid product. Plus monster cable makes these and they're notorious for overpriced crap. These guys charge 50-100 dollars for HDMI cables...

zod000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zod000

As far as sound quality goes, they match up pretty well to $50-$60 closed headphones, but they are, and always have been priced crazy high because they are more about fashion than audio. I can't even remember the last time I saw someone actually listening to their pair, they usually just walk around with them around then neck. I would think that for $200-$300 could could probably get a better necklace.

zod000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zod000
brandoramo wrote: I've you're going to drop +200 on headphones, AKG, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, or Beyer Dynamic is the way to go.

Spot on, I have yet to find a closed headphone under $200 that matches my Beyerdynamic DT-770s. I knew a few Beats Pro Studio owners that were actually quite angry when they listened to mine to compare. No one likes realizing they have been duped.

madgeorge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madgeorge

I have a pair, and have been stalking Woot for any offer for Monster earphones. I have the bluetooth version, and you hear parts of the music you never knew existed. And my home gear is Onkyo, I use FiiO soundcards, and you're just unaware...

[MOD EDIT: Hey...cheer up there sport.]

davidmcbeth3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmcbeth3

over 200 bucks? Its the volt of headphones

MosquitoControl

quality posts: 14 Private Messages MosquitoControl

I only use these with my Monster gold-plated wires. Playing from my iPhone. Playing VBR mp3s that are produced to fight in the loudness wars. With no amplifier for when I crank the volume above what the iPod can sustain. And I want to be deaf.

This looks like a good deal for Beats, but I'm not convinced Beats are a good deal for headphones.

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo

These can't beat my Grado cans. And my Grados are made in Brooklyn, NY, USA.

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

Why would you want to pay an extra $150 for headphones that deliberately distort the bass level? Almost any decent pair of headphones will deliver superior fidelity.

shifuimam

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shifuimam

The headband is plastic and has a tendency to eventually crack clean across the center.

When I worked at an Apple Store, a lot of employees got these (we got a discount on them) and complained about them breaking.

drkkaiser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drkkaiser

I am not too keen on the supposed deal on this product. The concept of saving 80 bucks is nice, but when it comes from a product which is already three hundred bucks, and is only a set of headphones?

I personally feel you could do much better than this, by putting forth a little effort, and researching deals yourself.