conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3135 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's watch a thorough overview

cujoturner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cujoturner

Very useful video, thank you.

dogar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dogar

How many can I have connected on a single network? In both wired/wireless configurations.

tricolclean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tricolclean

you have to run power line anyway, right ? wireless is a joke.

BobInFla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobInFla
dogar wrote:How many can I have connected on a single network? In both wired/wireless configurations.

looking at the picture on the video, it looks like 9 cameras

imasonaz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages imasonaz

After owning and setting up numerous Foscam cameras, I would suggest this one. Although it isn't their top-of-the line camera, it will do will to a range of about 50ft, even in low-light. Wireless works pretty well, I've had some weird things happen and had to reset the cameras, but nothing to make me throw them away. The only thing I dislike about them is their recording setup. I currently have mine configured to record to an FTP server, but it records .jpg images, not videos. So, as I have it configured, it will trigger with motion and record 1 frame/second for at least 5 seconds.

Now, as far as wiring goes, it includes a RJ45 (Ethernet) jack (but I prefer wireless), and a power socket. Foscam sells extensions to the power adaptor, so reaching a power outlet hasn't been an issue.
Lastly, the interface is a little clunky and the English is a little off in most menus(be sure to update the firmware from the US site), but you can get a wide range of uses from this camera.

Overall, I give the camera a 4/5, could use a little more recording features, lacks the wide-angle lens of their higher-end models.

imasonaz

BobInFla wrote:looking at the picture on the video, it looks like 9 cameras

You can view up to 9 on the same page. (through the ActiveX viewing method, there is the ability to view a 3x3 array of cameras, configured under the "Multi-Device" setting.) In theory, you could have as many as your network will support, but they can take down cheap wireless routers with a large amount of bandwidth.

davis287

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davis287

I just looked at www.foscam.com and the Foscam company will NOT !! give FREE Tech Support UNLESS you Buy the Foscan DIRECTLY from FOSCAM.COM !!

I think that says this company SUCKS BIG time and that is the Reason I will NOT Ever Buy anything made by FOSCAM .

I really hate it when a Company like Foscam is TOOOO GREEDY !!

pctyson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pctyson

"A thorough overview"?
Really? I can find out everything stated in that "overview" except for the important things like examples of video quality, actual wireless distance, night vision video examples, etc... So when I see a "overview" such as that one, I get a rundown on the features that I too could simply read about on the manufacturers website or on the outside of the box. That "overview" is nothing but a 7 minute commercial. Short video examples would make a good overview.

bigray57

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigray57

I just had a security system installed last week from Alarm.com. I paid $499 including installation for a similar outdoor camera. Their camera is branded with their logo, so its hard to tell if its the same as this one. That said, I want to include another camera for the front on the network. Does anyone know if this will mesh with the system I have?

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
pctyson wrote:"A thorough overview"?
Really? I can find out everything stated in that "overview" except for the important things like examples of video quality, actual wireless distance, night vision video examples, etc... So when I see a "overview" such as that one, I get a rundown on the features that I too could simply read about on the manufacturers website or on the outside of the box. That "overview" is nothing but a 7 minute commercial. Short video examples would make a good overview.

Why don't you find a better video review then,we'll wait.

gregjsmith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregjsmith

I hope they get a version that has at least 720p.

jornk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jornk
conanthelibrarian wrote:Let's watch a thorough overview

He should have had his wife do this video, since apparently she's just "lounging around" all day.

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln

For those unaware, woot just started a Foscam woot plus event off the original/main woot page, which has a variety of other offerings from the company, including 3 additional outdoor cameras.

http://www.woot.com/plus/foscam-security-cameras

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple

Security camera systems are a real challenge - thank you Woot for not OD'ing on those crappy $299-499 four-eight camera systems they sell at the warehouse clubs. I had a Samsung system and it showed you there was movement but not much else... before dieing after about 18 months.

Really decent systems run in the thousands, but these IP camera systems are getting a lot better. This one looks OK for the price but I wonder what the night performance is like and it needs to be bumped up in resolution.

Note that if you want to record, you must have a PC up and running 7x24, with lots of hard drive space. Also, if you want to view remotely from your house, you typicaly need to punch holes (not physical holes!) in your Internet router to allow the traffic.

Bottom line: tempting if you want to get your feet wet with IP cameras and only need close range day vision.

BTW, that picture on the front page is deceptive since while this is a wifi camera, it does need a power wire.

Edit: if you want to improve reliability and prevent trashing your wireless bandwidth, go with *wired* IP cameras, some of them can even get their power via the LAN connection (PoE).

jdiazj1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdiazj1

Hey Woot, I am a little confused here. The picture you show on the main page includes a bracket that comes with the Foscam FI8906W but you are selling the FI8905W. The FI8905W comes with a cheaply made mounting bracket. You can see the difference here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaRjUo9Sm-g

So which one is it, you selling the FI8906W or the inferior FI8905W?

I'm in the market for the FI8906W.

[MOD: See answer below]

flashburn02

quality posts: 4 Private Messages flashburn02

I'm going to disagree with the above poster who gave this a 4/5. I give it a 2/5 because image quality is good but the wireless cards are not robust enough to put up with extended use. They drop like crazy. If you are willing to run ethernet - this is an excellent outdoor camera.

To give a little more detail: They can record video if you are using the older version of the firmware, you leave a computer internet browser on the camera 24/7, and you have a spot defined within the GUI.

They CANNOT record video over IP unless you are actively logged into the camera. The best they can do is email a FTP server a still image when motion capture is enabled at predefined intervals.

The good about these cameras: great night vision capability. Easy to use GUI, but the feature let you down (read the above paragraph). Is very well constructed to beat the elements.

The bad about these cameras: The wireless cards on these are junk and drop often, making their surveillance ability pretty pathetic. The newer firmware doesn't support video recording (likely because the wireless cards are junk and it is hard to transmit all that date).

I had two and returned them both. The above is mostly a repost from the other woot event but I wanted to be specific since I actually used the very same model as featured in this woot.

Mowar!

getracy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages getracy

I have a different Foscam camera I use inside and I have never had a problem. I bought this outside camera and it worked pretty well for awhile. DO NOT be fooled with the description "Outdoor". The first rain I had the camera filled with water. This screwed up the picture and the night vision. Took it apart and dried it out. Tried to seal any and all cracks but filled with water again. Went in the trash. Buyer beware if you plan to put this outside.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jdiazj1 wrote:Hey Woot, I am a little confused here. The picture you show on the main page includes a bracket that comes with the Foscam FI8906W but you are selling the FI8905W. The FI8905W comes with a cheaply made mounting bracket. You can see the difference here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaRjUo9Sm-g

So which one is it, you selling the FI8906W or the inferior FI8905W?

I'm in the market for the FI8906W.

Just heard back from Foscam. The images on their site are out of date (they're updating them now). The image and bracket we show are correct. I saw the sample and the box myself. We are selling the Foscam FI8905WS and it looks like our photo.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

davis287 wrote:I just looked at www.foscam.com and the Foscam company will NOT !! give FREE Tech Support UNLESS you Buy the Foscan DIRECTLY from FOSCAM.COM !!

I think that says this company SUCKS BIG time and that is the Reason I will NOT Ever Buy anything made by FOSCAM .

Sorry you had a bad experience. We are an authorized reseller and as such, you do qualify for free technical support from Foscam.

You can see that they even added our cool Woot! logo to their page.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jdiazj1

ThunderThighs wrote:Just heard back from Foscam. The images on their site are out of date (they're updating them now). The image and bracket we show are correct. I saw the sample and the box myself. We are selling the Foscam FI8905WS and it looks like our photo.

Hey Thunder, I just got off the phone with Foscam directly and they have no knowledge of what the difference is between the FI8905WS and the regular FI8905W. They say that don't carry that model number. Are you able to tell me the difference? Its a long shot but I'm just curious

rcordosi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcordosi

Looong time wooter here. Don't post on the forums much though, but wanted to chime in on these cams. I just 2 weeks ago returned the Foscam FI8916WB to amazon. There is a big problem with many of these models that Foscam can't fix because it's a hardware issue. They lock up when the video is very bright or the scene is busy or complicated. I had the cam pointing at a large dog crate and every single time the bars on the crate filled the screen, the video would lock up and the unit would reboot. It did the same thing when I pointed it out the window during the day. When it got dark, the cam was fine. I updated to the latest firmware, hooked the cam directly to Ethernet, moved it around. Nothing helped. Searched the forums on the Foscam site and found this: http://foscam.us/forum/8910w-hanging-rebooting-based-on-image-data-t5769.html . The post has over 215 replies and over 14,000 views. the issue is spread over many models because they use the same internals. General consensus is that it started happening about 6 months ago when they updated the IR cut filter. I wont buy another one until this issue is solved outright. Buyer beware.

ThunderThighs

Staff

jdiazj1 wrote:Hey Thunder, I just got off the phone with Foscam directly and they have no knowledge of what the difference is between the FI8905WS and the regular FI8905W. They say that don't carry that model number. Are you able to tell me the difference? Its a long shot but I'm just curious

It's just a color designator:

WS = Silver (this one)
WB = Black
WW = White

jdiazj1

ThunderThighs wrote:It's just a color designator:

WS = Silver (this one)
WB = Black
WW = White

Thank you sir, that explains alot. I dont know what Foscam couldn't tell me this.

keving88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keving88

Will it work with a Q-See NVR????

mrtorben

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrtorben
davis287 wrote:I just looked at www.foscam.com and the Foscam company will NOT !! give FREE Tech Support UNLESS you Buy the Foscan DIRECTLY from FOSCAM.COM !!

i'll retract that statement as incorrect....sorry

GenMischief

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GenMischief

I have used several FOSCAM products.

"you pays your money and takes your chances."

Be happy woot is s reseller, unless you can prove you bought from an AUTHORIZED reseller you are out of luck due to the knock offs flooding the market.

-Jim

ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry you had a bad experience. We are an authorized reseller and as such, you do qualify for free technical support from Foscam.

You can see that they even added our cool Woot! logo to their page.

imasonaz

Their policy seems to go between only supporting products bought directly from them, and products bought from their authorized detailers. Could we get clarification on this?

Bandrik

quality posts: 71 Private Messages Bandrik

Got mine on Monday. Played around with them and set them up around the house. Overall, they work quite nicely. I wish there was smoother fps on wifi, but it is what it is.

Works with Blue Iris on the PC, and tinycam free on my android tablet.

MacGarage

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MacGarage

Mine died today. I am finding it hard to work with Foscam support since I bought it at Woot. Will update after run around is resolved (hopefully).

ThunderThighs

Staff

MacGarage wrote:Mine died today. I am finding it hard to work with Foscam support since I bought it at Woot. Will update after run around is resolved (hopefully).

We work directly with Foscam so there shouldn't be any issues. If they want a receipt, you can print your order details from STUFF YOU BOUGHT.

Sometimes it's a matter of getting hold of a different person. Sigh.

If all else fails, email CS to see if they can intervene. support@woot.com.