12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3124 Private Messages lichme

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3807 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Everything I can find seems to indicate that this item was sold mainly in Japan. There are a few youtube videos out there in Japanese

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 38 Private Messages jiggersgreen

Here's the Sony info:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=ICDLX30&LOC=3&session_id=5ab8e3e5804e5982c834ad16ab63653f#/howtoTab

PDF Manual:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/ICDLX30.pdf

Nate650

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Nate650

Hasn't the smartphone rendered this obsolete? I know, I know, any device made for a specific task will outperform a multitasker. And that is why DSLRs, point and shoot cameras, and camcorders are still around.

sabotageapril

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sabotageapril

can i plug it into my smartphone's headphone jack and use it to record phone calls?

sabotageapril

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sabotageapril
Nate650 wrote:Hasn't the smartphone rendered this obsolete?....

possibly but i have yet to find an app that works to record phone calls. or at least i tried the top 2 rated ones and they didn't work.

i ask about using it to record phone calls because my mom has recently lost her mind and she doesn't believe me or the doctors so i want to record her.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Why is this listed as a "stereo" recorder when the specs clearly state that it is a monaural recorder?

Audio:Format Supported:MP3 files:
Bit Rate: 192 kbps
Sampling Frequencies: 44.1 kHz
File Extension: .mp3
Frequency Range:MP3 192k: 75 Hz - 20,000 Hz
Microphone2) Built-in, unidirectional microphones
Recording System:Digital, Monaural Recording

Also, 192kbps mp3 is low quality for anything other than speech. Cutoff frequency for 192k mp3 is 18kHz, not the rote claimed 20kHz, so there is another bit of misinformation. Does woot! still employ anyone with a tech background, or has amazon replaced everyone with shills who don't know any better and can't be bothered to fact check?

This should be marketed as a dictation recorder, and that should be made more clear (which I hope I have done here). This is not some high end music or nature recorder.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

morninglark

quality posts: 23 Private Messages morninglark
sabotageapril wrote:possibly but i have yet to find an app that works to record phone calls. or at least i tried the top 2 rated ones and they didn't work.

i ask about using it to record phone calls because my mom has recently lost her mind and she doesn't believe me or the doctors so i want to record her.

You might want to check with your mom's doctors first, recording her without her knowledge might make her worse. Esp. If she's paranoid, because recording her without her knowledge would prove that she's not paranoid. Perhaps a better idea would be to offer her the recorder so that she has control over what is recorded.

On the other hand if you record all of your calls, then you eliminate yourself as part of the problem. ;-)

kantis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kantis
ckeilah wrote:Why is this listed as a "stereo" recorder when the specs clearly state that it is a monaural recorder?

Also, 192kbps mp3 is low quality for anything other than speech. This should be marketed as a dictatkon recorder, not some high end music or nature recorder.

It does say Voice Recorder in the title.
That would tell me it's for recording meetings, etc
I would not expect any more from it.

Conquering the World, One Woot at a Time

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
kantis wrote:It does say Voice Recorder in the title would tell me it's for recording meetings, etc
I would not expect any more from it.

Yeah, but typical marketing: "voice" is way down the word list. Then all the inflated specs, some of which are just WRONG, and the look of the thing, could easily lead the unsuspecting into thinking they are getting something more.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

Webwoman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Webwoman
sabotageapril wrote:can i plug it into my smartphone's headphone jack and use it to record phone calls?

I think you would need a telephone pick up to go from the telephone into the recorder... they're pretty cheap.

~Webwoman

buzzwang

quality posts: 10 Private Messages buzzwang

Any idea what the battery life is on this thing?

compmikey

quality posts: 6 Private Messages compmikey

If you bill for your time (service calls, professional fees, etc) or have to report sales calls, these are great. I keep a similar unit in the cup holder of my car, and make detailed notes after each stop. At the end of each month, I have to summarize my customer visits, so that I get paid. I could do it with my phone, but layers of menus and risk of phone damage or loss keeps me using a dedicated device to help me earn a living.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 98 Private Messages radi0j0hn

There is something REALLY WRONG with the specs versus the description. I suspect it is higher spec than shown.

###

For those worried about this confusion and wanting to do other than voice recording, Sony makes another model that is more in the (street price) of $65 and is stereo, accepts MicroSD cards and is good enough for use for podcasts and even radio reporting (I know this, as I use one). I place a large foam mic cover over the top of the unit to reduce "pop."

I don't have the model number, but it is the same "look" as this one, but with a more vertical design. Look for it on the mothership.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 38 Private Messages jiggersgreen

I've used the Sansa Clip for recording meetings or taking notes and it does a pretty good job.The added bonus is It's also a great MP3 player with FM radio.If you need more capacity just buy a Clip+ and micro sd card.

woottoady

quality posts: 34 Private Messages woottoady

So sarree sony... too retro.

My phone does this, records and transcribes my voice messages, emails them and then posts them to the web.

radi0j0hn

woottoady wrote:So sarree sony... too retro.

My phone does this, records and transcribes my voice messages, emails them and then posts them to the web.

Nice. But a bit too techno-hipster for some people. I have a TracPhone and this unit is configured in a very easy to understand way...and is only $50 with an SD card.

radi0j0hn

Nate650 wrote:Hasn't the smartphone rendered this obsolete?

No.

radi0j0hn

jiggersgreen wrote:I've used the Sansa Clip for recording meetings or taking notes and it does a pretty good job.The added bonus is It's also a great MP3 player with FM radio.If you need more capacity just buy a Clip+ and micro sd card.

But if the internal battery poops out...you're done. With this, you can replace the batteries.

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090

I think woot needs to clear up the specs on this. It would be weird that you would have stereo mics, and stereo mic input- yet not have an option to record in stereo.

from Sony site:
http://store.sony.com/p/ICD-LX30BLK/en/p/ICDLX30BLK#features
Recording meetings, classes and lectures couldn't be easier thanks to the ICD-LX30, desktop, stereo digital voice recorder.
yet under the specs tab you see:
Recording System : Digital, Monaural Recording

Woot needs to talk to the Sony rep to get this cleared up.

gak0090

radi0j0hn wrote:Nice. But a bit too techno-hipster for some people. I have a TracPhone and this unit is configured in a very easy to understand way...and is only $50 with an SD card.

If you still use a Tracphone, I'm surprised you are not using one of these to record:

norin731

quality posts: 1 Private Messages norin731

Otherwise known as your smart phone. Seriously, who needs a stand alone recorder?

whynotus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whynotus
gak0090 wrote:If you still use a Tracphone, I'm surprised you are not using one of these to record:

Not everyone uses TracFone because they haven't 'upgraded' their equipment. Many people don't have a need for a smartphone nor the inflated monthly data costs that come with them.

Last time I checked, prepaid wireless was still a multi-billion dollar industry...

/posted from my iPhone

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

Would be interesting for the kids (no smart phones for them until they pay the up charge!) - most of their teachers allow recording in class.

But @$50 it is priced twice what it should be at a clearance outlet. If this thing cost Sony more than $10/unit after design, production & distribution cost they need to consider moving the factory. At least it includes a $2 memory card. ;-)

bluemaple

ThunderThighs wrote:RE: Stereo vs Mono

We're checking. Stay tuned.

Very odd that Sony would put stereo mics in it but not record in stereo. The pics on the Sony site also clearly show two mics.

Even the external mic input indicates it is also stereo.

Guessing the mono recording mentions in several places are incorrect even on Sony's site.

gak0090

whynotus wrote:Not everyone uses TracFone because they haven't 'upgraded' their equipment. Many people don't have a need for a smartphone nor the inflated monthly data costs that come with them.

Last time I checked, prepaid wireless was still a multi-billion dollar industry...

/posted from my iPhone

Much of the prepaid wireless now includes smart phones which has inflated the revenue greatly. But you are not aware of the dynamic with radiojohn and you can't appreciate the humor.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bluemaple wrote:Very odd that Sony would put stereo mics in it but not record in stereo. The pics on the Sony site also clearly show two mics.

Guessing the mono recording mentions in several places are incorrect even on Sony's site.

Yeah, the inconsistencies on the Sony site is what makes us nervous on making a guess so we have a call into our Sony rep. Darn west coast people haven't woke up yet though.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

murhode

quality posts: 0 Private Messages murhode

Not very odd at all. Have you ever thought that the purpose of multiple microphones is to create a phased array and that it might be used to steer and shape the main lobe to the loudest source and thus provide better intelligibility and reduced background noise. I'm not saying that this Sony does; but I do when making live recordings.

bluemaple wrote:Very odd that Sony would put stereo mics in it but not record in stereo. The pics on the Sony site also clearly show two mics.

bluemaple

ThunderThighs wrote:Yeah, the inconsistencies on the Sony site is what makes us nervous on making a guess so we have a call into our Sony rep. Darn west coast people haven't woke up yet though.

Even the official Sony brochure says it records in mono so this is likely a scenario where they have or will have a model above it that actually records in stereo but did not bother to design a separate case/circuit with only one mic, mono mic input, and stereo output jack.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/ICDLX30_mksp.pdf

maebee1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maebee1

If I use one of these to record a meeting, could I then take the SD card home and listen to it on a Mac or PC?

gak0090

bluemaple wrote:Even the official Sony brochure says it records in mono so this is likely a scenario where they have or will have a model above it that actually records in stereo but did not bother to design a separate case/circuit with only one mic, mono mic input, and stereo output jack.

In my prior post, you can clearly see that even Sony does not realize what they are marketing- because the contradict themselves

from Sony site:
http://store.sony.com/p/ICD-LX30BLK/en/p/ICDLX30BLK#features
Recording meetings, classes and lectures couldn't be easier thanks to the ICD-LX30, desktop, stereo digital voice recorder.
yet under the specs tab you see:
Recording System : Digital, Monaural Recording

nabutu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nabutu

For recording Landline phone calls, the best device is a phone recorder from radio shack, that plugs in to the "remote" (motor on/off) micro jack of a portable cassette recorder, and mic or aux audio input jack. The unique capability is that it turns on when the phone is "off-hook" and off when "on-hook", recording all conversation, including pauses, no clipping of the first syllable.
Unfortunately (to my knowledge) no digital device has this function. And not functional with cellphones..

IMHO this Sony recorder has several design flaws. Mono, 192k MP3-only, 32GB-limit on SD card, the angled shape of the bottom, 3v AC Adapter (option), no USB connection. It should have 32k vbr 22,050 mono MP3, and 320k cbr 44,100 Stereo MP3, 5v USB2 pwr/charge/data port, SDHC support and be flat shaped with fold-down wire stand to put it at angle. As-is, there are plenty of smaller, cheaper, better mono voice recorders out there.
Did you know that you can use vlan.org's VLC player to play back voice recordings at double speed (and they're understandable)? ;-)

bluemaple

maebee1 wrote:If I use one of these to record a meeting, could I then take the SD card home and listen to it on a Mac or PC?

@maebee1, from the Sony brochure (and product site): (the file format is MP3)

"A removable SD memory card eases file transfer to your PC while allowing for capacity flexibility."

scarpozzi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scarpozzi

The last 2 of the last 3 sony products I've bought have broken and Sony has not honored the warranty. (TV from 2005 and a USB CDROM drive from 1998)

The 3rd product was a camcorder. After I bought it, I realized it didn't have a standard firewire cable to copy video to a laptop and Sony sold proprietary software for $100 that was required for video capture transfers....my cheaper Sharp camcorder and all the non-sony ones worked great with firewire...

Anyhow, they're on my list of bad companies now and I have to tell everyone! This might be a great product, but Sony officially just wants to use their brand name to make money and cares little about you once they get your money.

arbware

quality posts: 1 Private Messages arbware

Does anyone else find it interesting that this is offered on the 39th anniversary of President Nixon's resignation?
I wonder if it randomly inserts an 18 1/2 minute gap in all recordings?

spgriffin4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spgriffin4
gak0090 wrote:Much of the prepaid wireless now includes smart phones which has inflated the revenue greatly. But you are not aware of the dynamic with radiojohn and you can't appreciate the humor.

While I agree that things need to be taken with a grain of salt, this goes both ways. Prepaid wireless is a great way to reduce some peoples' monthly expenses, with Iphones as well. I have had a prepaid Iphone for the past year because I travel internationally exclusively and need an unlocked phone. I also like my Iphone, so that's why I have a pre-paid card in an Iphone.

I pay $45/month for an open plan and it's a newer Iphone, it's not hacked; I bought it unlocked, and I save a lot of money by doing it this way. So please don't jump on other members of this site when you are having an over tech heavy meltdown about something that you may not know everything about.

And now back to the voice recorder.

Cheers

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

STEREO RECORDING

Straight from our Sony rep:

The unit is STEREO AND RECORDS IN STEREO. The single speaker on the unit is of course monaural. But it is clearly 2 separate channels (right and left) and records and plays back the recorded file that way. The single speaker on the device is mono but that is just for instant playback. The file is recorded in beautiful stereo. Japan calls it “Digital, monaural recording” because each side is a single mic assigned to the right and left and yes technically it is “monaural” per channel.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

roamr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roamr

SD not SDHC is $20 buck a pop, if you can find them.

mowtay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mowtay

Re: transferring sd card to PC

Here is a reviewer (from reevoo) that says it can't be transferred

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dic-notetakers/icd-lx30#/technical-specifications