WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

FreedomPop Internet

We can't help but wonder how you're shopping for these internet connectivity devices if you don't already have internet connectivity devices. Clearly, you are very talented. We're impressed.

Quality Posts

Jayrookie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jayrookie

Does anyone have one of these? Do you have to sign up and is there an initial start up fee? I would be interested in the 500mb free per month to do some stuff when I'm on vacation or whatever the circumstance is.

Also is there something that tells you when you are close to your limit so you arent blasted by fees?

soundxli

quality posts: 2 Private Messages soundxli

Be sure you read some reviews like those on Amazon before you decide to dive in.

jdupree

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jdupree
Jayrookie wrote:Does anyone have one of these? Do you have to sign up and is there an initial start up fee? I would be interested in the 500mb free per month to do some stuff when I'm on vacation or whatever the circumstance is.

Also is there something that tells you when you are close to your limit so you arent blasted by fees?

Seeing several scam warnings from the likes of pcmag and Amazon, mainly on billing issues like getting billed $370 for supposedly using 32 gigs of data. Reviews on the device itself seem solid. I dont think the service is scam, it just sounds like their systems get errors and dealing with their customer service is a pain. Bottom line is the old adage is true: if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. In this case I think you can possibly get some good/cheap data balanced by the headache of atrocious cuss-to-me service and billing errors.

pauldownsouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pauldownsouth

The coverage checker is a phishing expedition, requiring zip, street address and email to even see if you are covered, so I will save you the trouble: if you are not in the center of a major metropolitan area, forget it (with the inexplicable exception of bucolic Milledgeville, GA).

newsshooterjim

quality posts: 1 Private Messages newsshooterjim
pauldownsouth wrote:The coverage checker is a phishing expedition, requiring zip, street address and email to even see if you are covered, so I will save you the trouble: if you are not in the center of a major metropolitan area, forget it (with the inexplicable exception of bucolic Milledgeville, GA).

Google MIlledgeville + Prison and see how many dots are on the map. Perhaps it's popular among the incarcerated?

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj
pauldownsouth wrote:The coverage checker is a phishing expedition, requiring zip, street address and email to even see if you are covered, so I will save you the trouble: if you are not in the center of a major metropolitan area, forget it (with the inexplicable exception of bucolic Milledgeville, GA).

Yeah I tried that too. Their website is just ridiculous and made me quite angry. No reason you need my e-mail to check if there's service in my neighborhood. Luckily as far as I can tell this just piggybacks off the Sprint 4G network, so you can check there.

Also this line from the description REALLY concerns me: "You can earn 500MB every month by connecting with friends and get UNLIMITED free data with special offers and promotions."

Does this mean we start with zero free data, and only get our 500 MB a month if we can "earn" it? I tried slogging through the terms and conditions on the website, and they're ambiguous on the matter. Not going through Woot, it's clear the 500MB plan costs $3.99/month with the option to "earn" data.

Is it the same with the plans linked here?

stokdaddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stokdaddy

Service is pretty awesome, thought too good to be true but I haven't paid a penny for 3 months and get great speeds.

I have the Photon and the service is great in Los Angeles and New York where I use it!

stokdaddy

novastarj wrote:Yeah I tried that too. Their website is just ridiculous and made me quite angry. No reason you need my e-mail to check if there's service in my neighborhood. Luckily as far as I can tell this just piggybacks off the Sprint 4G network, so you can check there.

Also this line from the description REALLY concerns me: "You can earn 500MB every month by connecting with friends and get UNLIMITED free data with special offers and promotions."

Does this mean we start with zero free data, and only get our 500 MB a month if we can "earn" it? I tried slogging through the terms and conditions on the website, and they're ambiguous on the matter. Not going through Woot, it's clear the 500MB plan costs $3.99/month with the option to "earn" data.

You get 500 MB free data every month. if you want more, you have to pay. You can also earn more free data if you have friends on FreedomPop but I only earn 100 MBs per month (2 friends).

pauldownsouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pauldownsouth

No coverage anywhere in:
Arizona
New Mexico
Wyoming
Nebraska
Montana
N. Dakota
S. Dakota
Iowa
Arkansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
South Carolina
Kentucky
Indiana
W. Virginia
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
Wisconsin

Very limited in:
Michigan (Grand Rapids only)
Nevada (Vegas only)
Idaho (Boise only)
Tennessee (Nashville only)
Virginia (Richmond only)

Good coverage in:
Texas (except S. of I-10)

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
stokdaddy wrote:You get 500 MB free data every month. if you want more, you have to pay. You can also earn more free data if you have friends on FreedomPop but I only earn 100 MBs per month (2 friends).

if you're a rep say so. quite a coincidence you just joined last week and this week what do you know, these things are for sale.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

freedompop

quality posts: 17 Private Messages freedompop

Hi guys, we're definitely here to answer any questions you might have, so feel free to ask.

Any issues with your account? Please feel free to PM us or open a Customer Support Ticket at https://www.freedompop.com/contact.htm

freedompop

Jayrookie wrote:Does anyone have one of these? Do you have to sign up and is there an initial start up fee? I would be interested in the 500mb free per month to do some stuff when I'm on vacation or whatever the circumstance is.

Not cost to sign up and no fees for cancelling or downgrading during your month. All you would have to do is get a device and get it activated on our website. We're giving away 2GBs for free for the first month (usually its $17.99)for a limited time. We also have a 500MB plan that's free for life.

You can monitor your data usafe easily using your web account. We also have an app, and a tool bar, but there are some great third party apps as well.

Any issues with your account? Please feel free to PM us or open a Customer Support Ticket at https://www.freedompop.com/contact.htm

oeldeals

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oeldeals

... email address required to check the map? I agree, petty BS like that tells me all I need to know about them... I'll pass

LOOK AT ME!

freedompop

novastarj wrote:

We offer a lot of different plans and devices, so I know our website can get confusing.

The $3.99/mo plan that you are referring to is NOT associated with these devices. This is for our Pro 3G/4G 500MB plan that is for the Overdrive. Since all the devices we offer here are only 4G capable (no 3G fallback) they go by a different set of plans that are located on the Features portion of each Device.

In short, we have a 500MB Free plan that you can stay on essentially forever. If you connect up to 10 Freedom Friends you can earn an additional 500MBs (50Mbs/friend) that will renew each month on top of your already free 500MB plan. So that's 1000MBs each month completely for free.

stokdaddy

cf wrote:No there is not. Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it. Please.

Yes there is - there is a mobile app which i don't use, or you can just log into your account on the freedompop.com and see usage there. Note, usage is delayed by 3 hours so it is not exact

chinuppete

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chinuppete

Roommate ordered from their website when they launched. He's had no problems. Really comes down to how much internet you use. I'm in for one of these.

stokdaddy

I have a FreedomPop USB stick already, works great for me, the free internet really is free.

I just bought the hotspot here, $30 cheaper than site. going to sell the USB on ebay to anyone who wants used

windowwarrior

quality posts: 0 Private Messages windowwarrior

They've had a lot of deals lately. where I got a stick, but would be interested in the hotspot for my tablet. The devices are solid. Service is free so how can you really complain on free. I can definitely recommend the bolt, you just plug it in and works great on my mac at home, but the hockey puck seems more versatile.

novastarj

freedompop wrote:Hi guys, we're definitely here to answer any questions you might have, so feel free to ask.

If we sign up for the 500MB/month free plan, are we also eligible for the $3.99/month rollover option?

freedompop

novastarj wrote:Luckily as far as I can tell this just piggybacks off the Sprint 4G network, so you can check there.

Forgot to add that we use Clear's 4G WiMAX that Sprint also uses. Be sure not to be looking at Sprint's 4G LTE map. Another option is just Clear's website as well.

freedompop

novastarj wrote:If we sign up for the 500MB/month free plan, are we also eligible for the $3.99/month rollover option?

Most definitely. The way rollover work is with each new billing cycle you can rollover as much as 500MBs of unused data from the month before. It'll be saved into a new pool of data that can store to 20GBs.

novastarj

Mr. freedompop, is there a no-use fee? I saw it mentioned in a few Amazon reviews ($1/month charge if you do not use the device).

I'm just trying to get a sense if there's any other charges I might unexpectedly get dinged for if I spend money on one of these devices, sign up for the 500MB plan, and consistently use under 500MB/month. Since I live in an area without service, I would only use it on vacation, and might not be able to use it monthly.

babythor7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages babythor7

Bought the Bolt USB stick couple months back for work in the bay area and its been great. It has actually been really helpful a few times when I was on the road and had a couple deadlines to meet. Not sure if you actually read these comments Woot but thanks for hooking up with FPop. Looking forward to checking out their hotspot.

freedompop

novastarj wrote:Mr. freedompop, is there a no-use fee? I saw it mentioned in a few Amazon reviews ($1/month charge if you do not use the device).

I'm just trying to get a sense if there's any other charges I might unexpectedly get dinged for if I spend money on one of these devices, sign up for the 500MB plan, and consistently use under 500MB/month. Since I live in an area without service, I would only use it on vacation, and might not be able to use it monthly.

Our devices are really great for vacations or for when you're just not at home. We did previously have an "active status fee" that was $0.99 if you used less than 5MBs/ month, but we are getting rid of it altogether. You can read about it on our blog: wp.me/p3fbsv-2w

You can also stop by and read some of our reviews on the Bolt and Photon there too. http://blog.freedompop.com/freedompop-reviews-best-selling-photon/

PS... I could also be Ms. FreedomPop ;)

windowwarrior

quality posts: 0 Private Messages windowwarrior
stokdaddy wrote:Yes there is - there is a mobile app which i don't use, or you can just log into your account on the freedompop.com and see usage there. Note, usage is delayed by 3 hours so it is not exact

I've gotten away with just using the website, but I purposefully avoid data heavy tasks because this is not unlimited. I think it takes alot to understand that for some ie the Amazon review with 32 GBs. From experience the delay goes up and down. Sometimes less than hour or sometimes the noted 3.

novastarj

freedompop wrote:
You can also stop by and read some of our reviews on the Bolt and Photon there too. http://blog.freedompop.com/freedompop-reviews-best-selling-photon/

PS... I could also be Ms. FreedomPop ;)

Thanks for the reviews link, but somehow I'm not certain I can trust cherry-picked reviews posted on a company blog. No offense, of course!

And are you the Samantha from the company blog? Miss Samantha Freedompop? I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty!

freedompop

Hey Guys,

Thanks for letting us know that the coverage map was requiring zip and email qualifications. Our development team got right on it and it's fixed. Feel free to visit http://www.freedompop.com/retail/coverage to check coverage directly.

freedompop

novastarj wrote:Thanks for the reviews link, but somehow I'm not certain I can trust cherry-picked reviews posted on a company blog. No offense, of course!

Fair enough. No offense taken. Let's stick with third parties then...

1. Forbes
  2. PC Mag
  3. LA Times

jessicadennis

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jessicadennis
freedompop wrote:Thanks for letting us know that the coverage map was requiring zip and email qualifications. Our development team got right on it and it's fixed. Feel free to visit http://www.freedompop.com/retail/coverage to check coverage directly.

Well that's... nice. What would be super as well is if there were some kind of legend to distinguish between the dark green and light green areas on the map. I mean, I guess light green is spottier coverage, but why am I guessing?

I admit I'm intrigued by this product. My old university-employer had several Clear hotspots they got for free in return for leasing radio frequencies to Clear, and they were pretty sweet and super handy to have.

freedompop

jessicadennis wrote:Well that's... nice. What would be super as well is if there were some kind of legend to distinguish between the dark green and light green areas on the map. I mean, I guess light green is spottier coverage, but why am I guessing?

I admit I'm intrigued by this product. My old university-employer had several Clear hotspots they got for free in return for leasing radio frequencies to Clear, and they were pretty sweet and super handy to have.

The dark green areas do denote best coverage while lighter green is good coverage. A legend though is something we can consider for the future. Thanks for the feedback. It helps.

dfwvtxman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dfwvtxman

Is there not also an Activation fee?

gottixjonas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gottixjonas

Willing to give this a whirl. Could work with my old iphone 3gs bringing it back from the dead wo paying for cell service

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

freedompop wrote:Hey Guys,

Thanks for letting us know that the coverage map was requiring zip and email qualifications. Our development team got right on it and it's fixed. Feel free to visit http://www.freedompop.com/retail/coverage to check coverage directly.

Thanks for joining us and being so responsive! Great vendor participation!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

aaronshall

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aaronshall
freedompop wrote:Hey Guys,

When does this kick in? As of this moment, it is still asking for email and street address...just for coverage.

freedompop

aaronshall wrote:When does this kick in? As of this moment, it is still asking for email and street address.

Should have already kicked in. Are you sure you are at freedompop.com/retail/coverage? If so, try clearing your browser's cookies and cache or just try another browser.

freedompop

ThunderThighs wrote:Thanks for joining us and being so responsive! Great vendor participation!

Sweet!

aaronshall

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aaronshall
freedompop wrote:Should have already kicked in. Are you sure you are at freedompop.com/retail/coverage? If so, try clearing your browser's cookies and cache or just try another browser.

Not there. That tells me "Sorry, FreedomPop 4G is not yet
available at this location".
I went to your home page to get a map with a better view.

freedompop

dfwvtxman wrote:Is there not also an Activation fee?

No activation fees

freedompop

aaronshall wrote:Not there. That tells me "Sorry, FreedomPop 4G is not yet
available at this location".
I went to your home page to get a map with a better view.

Oh no . Our website does require you to put in your zip and email address, but its the same map in the end. If www.freedompop.com/retail/coverage is giving you that message then that address is not in a good 4G WiMAX area. Do you mind me asking what city you live in? I can give you an idea of the nearest coverage area.