WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Tablets & the Accessories Who Love Them

Still holding out for a tablet, huh? You did the right thing by waiting. Prices are lower, and there are more models and accessories to choose from. But if you wait one day longer, you're making a terrible mistake. Right now is the optimal point on the curve. We could show you a graph that proves it but we left it in our other pants.

karamon101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karamon101

Original Woot posting for Proscan 7" Tablet with Case & Keyboard

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5487866&pageindex=1&replycount=57

I'm the root of all that's evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

tad024

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tad024

Anyone know if these refurb note tabs are reliable?

n8myton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages n8myton

I've been wanting the Galaxy Note 10.1, but this is really not that great of a deal as far as I can see. $279 with free shipping from Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10.1-Tablet-with-16GB-Memory-Deep-Gray-Refurbished/22025702#ProductDetail

editorkid

quality posts: 94 Private Messages editorkid

Kind of weird that the 8.2" Xyboard is $20 more than the 10" Xoom.

saypat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saypat

Hello. Is this a repeat Woot of yesterdays that I thought sold out? Same Acer tablet, A700? What's up?

Aquila76

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Aquila76
editorkid wrote:Kind of weird that the 8.2" Xyboard is $20 more than the 10" Xoom.

The 10" Xoom is a refurb, the 8.2" Xyboard is new.

My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal.

cage017

quality posts: 7 Private Messages cage017

All this time I thought the Samsung Galaxy Tab was the only tablet with an IR Remote Control feature. The Sony Xperia 32 GB seems like something I would like.

I just wish I can afford it.

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake

As a BB Playbook user, it's hard to recommend anyone to buy one these days. While the hardware is still solid, it's 2+ years old and RIM will NOT update the OS to BB10, making this a dead-end device.

The greatest plus I have to say is that on a couple recent flights, Delta offered BB users free internet access. Hardly a justification or suggestion to anyone else to buy one, however.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

saypat wrote:Hello. Is this a repeat Woot of yesterdays that I thought sold out? Same Acer tablet, A700? What's up?

It didn't quite sell out. The sale ended at midnight as normal. We had a few left so we're offering them here for those that might have missed the other sale.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

lmg95

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lmg95

I'm really thinking about that Xperia 32Gb... but not sure the specs warrant the extra $30 compared to the A700

AHamdi5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AHamdi5
editorkid wrote:Kind of weird that the 8.2" Xyboard is $20 more than the 10" Xoom.

Plus the LTE version of the 8.2" is inline for an update to 4.1 Jelly Bean (but not the wi-fi only version)

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/software-upgrade-news/g_id/1949#gs=eyJndWlkZUlEIjoxOTQ5LCJxdWVzdGlvbklEIjo2LCJyZXNwb25zZUlEIjoxNCwiZ3VpZGVTZXNzaW9uIjoiMTk0UFIqdmwiLCJzZXNzaW9uSUQiOiIxOTRQUip2bCJ9

schrody

quality posts: 9 Private Messages schrody

From what I understand, the XOOMs will get a Jellybean upgrade.

(Edit - the "Family Edition" in this offer won't get JB, just ICS. The "With WiFI" version - I think that's what I bought - will get it. Confusing, because MOTO website calls them MZ604 and MZ505, while Woot calls them SJ1655RA and SJ1558RA.)

I picked up a 32GB XOOM from Moofi yesterday. Open-box, but twice as much memory as these, plus a case, for ten bucks less.

I know open-box Woots come with a disclaimer about missing accessories, but realistically, who here has bought open-box from (any) Woot? Was it missing any critical and/or expensive part or accessory?Was it in good condition?

Mine shipped to day, so I guess I'll find out how I did in a week or two (Smart Post - gee, thanks).

No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!

scotttampa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scotttampa
tad024 wrote:Anyone know if these refurb note tabs are reliable?

VERY... I got 2 from woot ... best on market! Walmart has for 279.99 free shipping right now... and yes, its the note not tab. Yes u have to pay tax but still less than 300. Don't know why woot had for 330 when they had b4 for 299... oh well they only had 1! And it is well worth the 330 too!

scotttampa

saypat wrote:Hello. Is this a repeat Woot of yesterdays that I thought sold out? Same Acer tablet, A700? What's up?

Got mine this morning... on it now! The screen is amazing... I am as happy with this as our 2 Samsung notes I got from woot... those are good for writing, these are great for graphics games video etc due to hi Res HD screen... it is awesome due to jellybean now on it... just installed that couple hours ago... for 200 off its awesome price!

scotttampa

Oh, also, because the a700 is new, u can get the accidental damage coverage for only 18.00 for 3 years, you know, in case you decide technology has developed and you want to accidentally drop it so square trade sends your 250.00 back lol

chadneidig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chadneidig
scotttampa wrote:Oh, also, because the a700 is new, u can get the accidental damage coverage for only 18.00 for 3 years, you know, in case you decide technology has developed and you want to accidentally drop it so square trade sends your 250.00 back lol

How does one get "accidental damage coverage for only 18.00 for 3 years"?

kstran07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kstran07

Does anyone know if the kindle fire supports continuous looping video and turning off the lock screen?
Thank you!

scotttampa

chadneidig wrote:How does one get "accidental damage coverage for only 18.00 for 3 years"?

Just buy it off the sale page... at bottom of sale page click on the regular sure trade icon that advertises price... when u click on it to give your quote, accidental damage for 18.00 is then offered as an upgrade you can add to the 35.00 for 3 years coverage. Worth paying 50ttl to get 250 back anytime before 3 years tho... like renting tablet for 3 years for 50$! You have 30 days after purchase if you don't wanna pay now... also you may be able to find 30% off on internet , making it 30$ total...

thomas998

quality posts: 22 Private Messages thomas998

32gb Xperia is not a good deal. Aug. 3, 2012 woot sold the same one plus a cradle for the same price. So almost a year later and the same price when these are now discontinued by Sony? Not good.

editorkid

quality posts: 94 Private Messages editorkid

If you've been thinking about snapping up some Nook action, today a daily steals site has "recertified" BNTV250 (I don't know if that's different from Woot's "refurbished") for $10 less with free shipping. Depending on how you handle your cart, that could be a $15 savings.

yodboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yodboy

My first day experience with the Acer a700 from a recent sale:

mihirsheth wrote:Did anyone receive theirs yet ??

I received mine. I ordered it up because I need a higher resolution display for my large format .pdf's with plenty of storage and fast responsiveness when scrolling through my PDF documents.

So far, I'm on the fence about this device for both valid, as well as feel/impression reasons, which I'll share in order of my experience. Please note I'm not complaining, these are my observations.

1) On first removing the a700 from its packaging I noticed smear marks on the screen, and what might be an indication the screen was resurfaced (buffed to remove light scratches from use, common in refurbishment) due to micro fine patterns reflected from the glass at certain angles. With the backlight on it's not noticeable.

I have no problem with refurbished equipment, but these were sold as new. Still, I'm not 100% sure it was refurbished, it could just be poor handling the factory or a result of the screen rubbing against its packing during packing/handling or shipping.

2) Screen Performance. My taps/finger presses are not always registered, even after fully updating and setting sensitivity on high. (More about updating below). Typing registers just fine, and is not a problem. I'm typing this now with the a700. So I'm not yet sure if the issue is the screen sensitivity in certain spots, or a software issue. It's not terrible, but over a long period of time might get frustrating.

3) Responsiveness. It could be better. There are momentary stutters, some latency in refreshing/loading pages/screens. Once it loads something like a video, it plays flawlessly, but loading web pages, switching applications, and other tasks can reflect a small but very perceivable delay each time. Having used other devices with smoother responsiveness, it's very noticeable, though I could get used to it if my final impression/decision leads to keeping this tablet. I realize a year+ old processor with a 1920x1200 resolution display might not run as smoothly driving all those pixels as a newer (pricier) device.

3b) Responsiveness, page scrolling. This bothers me the most. I'm used to flicking the screen and rapidly scrolling down long web pages or documents quickly. The a700 takes short hops down a page with each flick. Because the screen on the a700 requires me to press a little more firmly to register each flick, it can get tiresome scrolling down a long page one short hop at time. Screen scrolling just isn't as smooth as I'd like. I'm still looking to see if there's a way to improve this performance.

4) Updating. An update is offered when you connect the a700 to the Internet. The update goes smoothly, but it isn't the latest update for the a700. Going in to settings and manually checking for new updates will offer another update, and after performing that update, yet another update...etc. This is annoying and Goobersic, but it only has to be done at one time, then it's over. Still, it would be nice if there was some info informing us multiple updates would be required to get to the latest Android version available for the a700, which BTW, is not the latest version of Android.

5) After updating, performance got worse. Laggier, slower to load web pages. I found in the settings, the performance configuration had been changed from High, to Balanced. So, I changed it back to High. A little better. But...

5b) After updating, the office application that comes with the a700 crashes when opening my .pdf's. It did not do this before the system updates. Then, it notified me of an update for the office app itself, which I okay'd, but the update never completed, and I can't get it to try again. I'll also have to see how other .PDF readers perform on the a700.

6) Acer support. I went to Acer's website looking for support related info on the a700. There is practically none. They have tons of info for their new windows "w700", and the a510, a200...etc, but other than a user manual and specs, the support forum and knowledge base are devoid of a700 posts or articles. For a year+ old tablet, this does not instill confidence in Acer's support of this device.

So, I have here an affordable device with a high rez screen and expandable memory, which is what I need, but I am on the fence about keeping it due to my observations as stated above.

I realize I can try CM10.1, but that would invalidate the warranty as far as I know, and would certainly make the device unreturnable.

Also, I just noticed issue number 7) The rubbery trim between the screen glass and aluminum frame appears to be degraded in a spot near the right of the camera, and dust seems to get trapped there. Now I need to see if this is a normal part of the a700 design, or a defect in manufacturing of my unit.

With the exception of the last, all these issues may be resolvable.

What have your experiences been like?

omahahaha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omahahaha
Narfcake wrote:As a BB Playbook user, it's hard to recommend anyone to buy one these days. While the hardware is still solid, it's 2+ years old and RIM will NOT update the OS to BB10, making this a dead-end device.

The greatest plus I have to say is that on a couple recent flights, Delta offered BB users free internet access. Hardly a justification or suggestion to anyone else to buy one, however.

I have to disagree with you. Even without the OS10, the PlayBook is a great tablet. I have 2 in my household and and I just bought one for my technology challenged 79yr old mother. They are easy enough to learn that she will soon be facebooking and video chatting with us. Outstanding prices here for the PlayBook. Mine comes in very handy for any portable need of internet surfing, online classes, watching music videos and movies etc. I highly recommend them. Maybe if BlackBerry had a dancing silhouette commercial, more people would find out that they have superior products.

jimsinkorea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimsinkorea

The playbook 64GB is the same price on Amazon with free shipping. I just returned mine, the apps for this thing are way to limited and it is kind of slow. The camera is pretty good with photos and videos. It was easy to hold and does feel like a well built tablet, nothing cheap feeling on it. If they had continued to support it and upgraded it to BB10 I would have kept it. IMHO if you want a tablet for browsing the internet, to connect to a big screen to watch videos via hmdi or to take photos and videos with this is a great device but if you want a large selection of apps forget it. Also, I had a hard time getting the included GPS to work right.

honeydolistguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages honeydolistguy

Anyone have this problem with the Proscan 7"? Instructions say to charge for 10 hrs. The one I just received has been charging for twice that, and the only thing it will display when I press the power button is the "charging battery" image. Is it normal for this tablet to need more than 24 hrs for 1st charge?

I connected it to a USB port on my PC, but it's not showing up as a device in the Device Manager (or anywhere else).

Is this a dud?

ThunderThighs

Staff

honeydolistguy wrote:Anyone have this problem with the Proscan 7"? Instructions say to charge for 10 hrs. The one I just received has been charging for twice that, and the only thing it will display when I press the power button is the "charging battery" image. Is it normal for this tablet to need more than 24 hrs for 1st charge?

I connected it to a USB port on my PC, but it's not showing up as a device in the Device Manager (or anywhere else).

Is this a dud?

With any new electronics device, I always suggest charging for a full 24 hours before declaring it a dud. They ship with completely drained batteries for safety reasons.

Make sure you are charging via a wall adapter. Your computer will not have the needed juice to charge a tablet.

Also, try disconnecting the charging cable before turning it on.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

dunlop406

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dunlop406

Has anyone had experience with the Moto Xyboard? At the $210 price seems like a good deal with the 4g LTE built in. Im not seeing much about it on the web other than mild reviews at Cnet and Gizmodo.

schrody

quality posts: 9 Private Messages schrody

Ok, my Xoom (32GB from Moofi) came today. Sold as open box, some items possibly missing. What I got:

Came in a plain white box (inside the shipping carton with plastic bag pillows, of course). Seems to be complete - Tablet, charger, power cord for charger, and an A-to-micro USB cable. Even came with the two little booklets (quick-start guide, legal stuff).

The only thing missing was the "Portfolio Case" that was supposed to be included in the deal, but no big deal for me. I tend to prefer my devices naked, and from what I've read it was a pretty crappy case anyhow.

As for the condition, it was fingerprinted up some, but wiped up nicely. No scratches on screen or housing, and no bad pixels. So I'm a happy camper there.

Oh, and it came right up with 4.1.2 Jelly Bean already on it, but no further update available. That's probably good enough for my purposes - my rooted 1st gen Kindle Fire is running 4.1.2 - but if I really want, I'm sure there are 4.2 roms out there and soon to be 4.3 (I've already seen 4.3 for 1st gen Kindle Fire ).

No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!

blackfriesians

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blackfriesians
honeydolistguy wrote:Anyone have this problem with the Proscan 7"? Instructions say to charge for 10 hrs. The one I just received has been charging for twice that, and the only thing it will display when I press the power button is the "charging battery" image. Is it normal for this tablet to need more than 24 hrs for 1st charge?

Is this a dud?

You have to hold the button for two seconds and let go. Then the screen should turn blue and go through the start up process.

snyderman04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snyderman04

Bought the Proscan PLT7223GK4. MAJOR wifi connectivity issues. Anyone else have this problem? I'm literally in between my smartphone, computer, and xbox - all connected to wifi no problems. This tablet is working at about 10% of my 56k modem used to work all those years ago. Yikes.

Thoughts on fixing other than the basic reboot/disconnect and reconnect to wifi? All other devices operating perfectly. Tablet can barely connect to google.com

For the record, talking about horrible horrible HORRIBLE range. Rather than completely nonfunctional. Might as well tether myself to the router. And within approx 10 ft of the router, I'm increasing from the 50kb/sec to approx 200kb/sec

VitaZora

quality posts: 2 Private Messages VitaZora

I bought the Sony Xperia Tablet S during the most recent Woot and I love it. I received the tablet and stand in 2 separate shipments which is okay....but I did not receive the second charger, the one with the power brick and two cords.

Anyone else have this problem with an incomplete shipment? I have already contacted customer support, no response yet, other than the automated reply. A little bummed about the missing item and I hope Woot comes through and sends me the cord.

bluzbum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluzbum

Yes, I received my order for the Sony Xperia S, and was very pleased with the shipping time and product seems to function properly, however it was missing (1) cable, (1) AC Adapter. I have written them and am hoping they can provied these missing pieces asap. Just notified them and hope they reply as promptly as it was shipped.

ThunderThighs

Staff

bluzbum wrote:Yes, I received my order for the Sony Xperia S, and was very pleased with the shipping time and product seems to function properly, however it was missing (1) cable, (1) AC Adapter. I have written them and am hoping they can provied these missing pieces asap. Just notified them and hope they reply as promptly as it was shipped.

It's possible the cradle shipped separately from the tablet. Is that what you're missing? If so, you might give it another day or two.

FORUM MODERATOR

diamndraindrop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diamndraindrop

Both my dad and I got the Xyboard... Love it! But ummm where's my case that it says it comes with? Neither of us got the case.... and well I'd kinda like that

VitaZora

ThunderThighs wrote:It's possible the cradle shipped separately from the tablet. Is that what you're missing? If so, you might give it another day or two.

The cradle did arrive in a separate shipment, but the extra cable did not arrive in either package.

I emailed customer service and they apologized and said they had no more stock, but they offered to refund $20 of the purchase price.

When I inquired whether or not I was one of the many or one of the few who didn't get the advertised extra cable, the service rep said that I was the only one, so far, who had reported the missing part.

Glad to see that I am not alone.

VitaZora

So, Woot is selling the Xperia Tablet S again, and offering the extra cable set again? Not happy with that - especially when I was told that there were no more cables (I still have the email saying so in my inbox).

VitaZora wrote:The cradle did arrive in a separate shipment, but the extra cable did not arrive in either package.

I emailed customer service and they apologized and said they had no more stock, but they offered to refund $20 of the purchase price.

When I inquired whether or not I was one of the many or one of the few who didn't get the advertised extra cable, the service rep said that I was the only one, so far, who had reported the missing part.

Glad to see that I am not alone.

ThunderThighs

Staff

VitaZora wrote:So, Woot is selling the Xperia Tablet S again, and offering the extra cable set again? Not happy with that - especially when I was told that there were no more cables (I still have the email saying so in my inbox).

It's possible that at the time, we didn't have extra cables and this is a new purchase of them. We do aim to sell out of items. Sorry.

FORUM MODERATOR

srees

quality posts: 9 Private Messages srees

For reference of those looking at this during future purchases, I bought the A700.

The charger quit working reliably within _days_ and completely failed within about 3 months.

The charger plug is incredibly poorly designed, and if you read up on Google you'll see lots of folks simply have to replace the charger every few months.

How can something be better than nothing if nothing is perfect?

I can haz badgez finally after 12 Bungled Original Communicator