lichme

quality posts: 3014 Private Messages lichme

More info, tons of docs, and lots of good reviews on the Product Page

lichme

quality posts: 3014 Private Messages lichme

More great reviews from Walmart

lj6580

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lj6580

I'm extremely interested in this, just waiting for the comments. =)

Nightfall

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Nightfall
lj6580 wrote:I'm extremely interested in this, just waiting for the comments. =)

Same here. Reviews look really good. I can't see any potential issues with this laptop, but I'm always cautious.

DonPaulieone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DonPaulieone

I don't know how many of you would be affected by this, but Toshiba purposefully disables (and outright leaves out) the bios option for AMD Virtualization technology built into the APU for consumer laptops (e.g. Satellite). Have a last gen Satellite 875D, and when i called customer support to ask why i have no option, was told the above. It was good for light gaming; WoW was playable at low-to-medium settings, for what it's worth.

Now mine sits as a spare laptop, while i rock out on a tricked out Lenovo Ideapad Y500.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU

$399.99 tonight
Previous woot: 72 comments, same price
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5467321
Before that, 54 comments, and was $429.99 originally, then lowered to $399.99
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5445364

billveik

quality posts: 5 Private Messages billveik

I bought the 855 one step down from this 4gig RAM (still expandable to 16), the 3120 processor. Bundled with wireless mouse, neoprene sleeve and some protection software for 399+tax new. I've been pleased......

Woo@@@@@@@ooT.........Ooops, was that me?
Beggin' your pardon, it must have been the w@@t soup.

dmyles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmyles

never bot a computer through woot, tho many other things...

the screen resolution on this seems weak (1366x 768- 720p) and it sounds like it is loaded with bloatware, plus no bluetooth...

akelkar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akelkar

I dont see a Windows 8 disc listed. What if I want to reformat and reinstall when I get it?

wootschultr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootschultr
akelkar wrote:I dont see a Windows 8 disc listed. What if I want to reformat and reinstall when I get it?

The Specs show that is comes loaded with Windows 8

wootschultr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootschultr
wootschultr wrote:The Specs show that is comes loaded with Windows 8

Oh - sorry - you want a disk

Danyur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Danyur

Does this come with windows office? I know that is typically an add-on in other venues. This would be a fantastic deal if so, any clarification would be appreciated.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Danyur wrote:Does this come with windows office? I know that is typically an add-on in other venues. This would be a fantastic deal if so, any clarification would be appreciated.

With Win 8, Microsoft stopped including Office Starter.

TL;DR: No, sorry.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

misterjohnny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages misterjohnny

It doesn't look like it has a touchscreen. Am I missing something?

ThunderThighs

Staff

misterjohnny wrote:It doesn't look like it has a touchscreen. Am I missing something?

Nope, you're not missing anything. Touching this screen is not allowed. Well, it won't do anything but smudge it if you do.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jandrese

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jandrese

Some plusses and minuses from the spec sheet:

The good:
1. AMD A10-4600M, decently fast for this laptop, quad core
2. Radeon HD 7660G, fast enough for older games and even some newer games at lower detail/resolution levels.
3. 8GB of memory is a good amount for this machine.
4. 15" laptops are the goldilocks size IMHO. Not too big, not too small.
5. Good set of secondary features (802.11n, multi-card reader, number pad, aluminum case)
6. 6 Cell battery.

The bad:
1. Spinning disk hard drive. it's a good size, but SSDs are in.
2. 1366x768 is an embarassment for a 15" screen. It's barely acceptable on 13" screens. There is a reason so many laptops with otherwise good specs but this screen end up on Woot.
3. 10/100 Ethernet. Someone saved $0.03 by not putting in the Gigabit chip instead. Luckily, this is largely irrelevant to most laptop users.
4. No bluetooth.

regassert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages regassert
jandrese wrote:Some plusses and minuses from the spec sheet:

The good:
1. AMD A10-4600M, decently fast for this laptop, quad core
2. Radeon HD 7660G, fast enough for older games and even some newer games at lower detail/resolution levels.
3. 8GB of memory is a good amount for this machine.
4. 15" laptops are the goldilocks size IMHO. Not too big, not too small.
5. Good set of secondary features (802.11n, multi-card reader, number pad, aluminum case)
6. 6 Cell battery.

The bad:
1. Spinning disk hard drive. it's a good size, but SSDs are in.
2. 1366x768 is an embarassment for a 15" screen. It's barely acceptable on 13" screens. There is a reason so many laptops with otherwise good specs but this screen end up on Woot.
3. 10/100 Ethernet. Someone saved $0.03 by not putting in the Gigabit chip instead. Luckily, this is largely irrelevant to most laptop users.
4. No bluetooth.

Question for all; does the resolution REALLY matter all that much? Yeah, a higher resolution is never bad on the eyes, but then, it drains the battery more. I would say that 90% of uses would be perfectly fine with this resolution.

VeeRay

quality posts: 2 Private Messages VeeRay

True dat, regassert.

This resolution must be OK for most users, because most laptops of all sizes go out with this screen resolution regardless of where they're bought. Yes, I'm irritated at the manufacturers for still treating better screens as a luxury item, but that's where they are - I'm not hating on Woot for selling a good mainstream product even if I'm holding out for a more expensive one.

This lappy looks pretty good. That APU was, I believe, the top of the line mobile from the Trinity platform - which has just been replaced by the mildly upgraded Richland line (hence we're seeing Trinity based computers here at discount). Intel Core chips will put a hurting on it for most things that stress single threaded performance, but for most things this will be great, and the integrated graphics will beat most of the Intel IGPs. Not a good answer for hard core gaming, but nothing in this price range is. 8 gig of RAM is nice, new is nice. I'd personally prefer a size smaller, an SSD, and higher rez, but I'd expect to pay for all that.

VIDEOSENSATIONS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages VIDEOSENSATIONS

im tired of the 768 resolution or id by one
on my n53 asus with 1920 by 1080 wont go back

munch on them for 1998 screens

anachostic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages anachostic

Got mine yesterday and am setting it up now. First thing is to uninstall anything Norton, then make a Recovery USB stick, then change out the HD for a faster one and reinstall Win8.

I've been using this page for reference. I have read that the Windows product key is no longer on a sticker on devices, but embedded in the BIOS, so during install, you don't need to enter anything. Makes sense since an OEM OS has always been licensed to a device and not a person.

So far, looks and runs like a very good laptop. One big worry I had was the function keys - F5 turns the touchpad on/off. This is also the refresh key for web pages, and the Run key for Visual Studio/SQL Mgmt Studio. You can go into the BIOS (F2 at startup) and toggle between whether the F-keys are real f-keys or if they're special function keys. The alternate for whichever you choose requires holding the Fn key down.

justinwhitmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justinwhitmer

Got mine yesterday. There is no wireless card in the computer and there is only 2GB of Ram installed. Returning immediately. Buyer beware.

justinwhitmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justinwhitmer

and there are no replacements so I will not be buying a computer on woot again.

ThunderThighs

Staff

justinwhitmer wrote:and there are no replacements so I will not be buying a computer on woot again.

I'm sorry. It is the nature of the beast some times with our sales model (no standing inventory) that items can sell out either that day or in subsequent Plus sales. I hope you give us another try.

FORUM MODERATOR