WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

AOC Monitors

It must be tough buying a monitor when you don't have a monitor. You can't even see the monitors we're selling right below here, which you need so desperately. You're trapped in a sensory-deprivation prison of no escape. Maybe your mouse will happen to click the correct series of buttons to get one to your door.
AOC official site

dcalotta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcalotta

I use the 16" USB guy at work - public accounting, so we are off at clients frequently - and they are very good for what they are. Lightweight, easy to pack up and travel with, USB. All of the stuff that people usually care about with monitors (color reproduction, refresh rate, etc.)... if you care about that, don't buy this monitor. They are all fine, but you can probably do better for less money if you don't buy a portable USB monitor.

I have a couple of gripes. First, the software that is included isn't great. The monitor will work in landscape or portrait, and it has an accelerometer to measure which position it's in. It's too sensitive (bang the desk sometimes and it tries to switch), and it takes way too long for everything to figure out how it needs to display - you have flickering and black screens for probably 30 seconds. Not sure if it's a Windows issue, though. And finally, the positioning of the USB port on these is stupid. The port is in the well that the stand folds into, and it's a pain to try and stick the cable in. I believe this has been moved on the newer versions (the new ones we gave to the interns a few weeks ago have the port on the back), but who knows what version these are.

chicagonative

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chicagonative

Does it have the best color? Who knows - don't care. Is it fast enough for playing videos or games? Who knows - don't care.

What I care about is having a portable extra monitor to extend my screen real estate of my laptop when on the road. For that it fits the bill pretty well. No problem loading the software drivers, no problem powering it off a single USB port.

If I had any issue at all, it would be that the housing is a bit thick or chunky.

It works! I'm satisfied with the purchase.

glubash

quality posts: 11 Private Messages glubash

I have the 22" AOC from a previous sale. The only problem that I have with it is that it is super bright. Wash out colors, hurt your eyes bright. With the brightness turned all the way down, it is about right (although a bit lower would be better).

Other than that, no problems with the monitor except the stand is a bit flimsy.

nb109

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nb109
glubash wrote:I have the 22" AOC from a previous sale. The only problem that I have with it is that it is super bright. Wash out colors, hurt your eyes bright. With the brightness turned all the way down, it is about right (although a bit lower would be better).

That's odd. I'd suggest you try to get a replacement. I own four AOC monitors of varying size. Two of mine are the 23" version of the monitor you're referring to and I've never had any problem with brightness or colors washing out.

I did have a power issue with the first one I ordered, but the company replaced it pretty quickly.

mxjx

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mxjx

I can echo dcallota & chicaonative on the awesomeness of the USB monitor. I'll also 2nd dcallota's comment on the location of the usb port. I'm actually on my 2nd one because of that design flaw, so would say that it's worth the extra $10 you'd pay on Amazon right now to get one w/the design correction.

pucmw11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pucmw11

All I can say is WOW! I bought two of the 23" AOC monitors a few days ago and got them yesterday. After reading the reviews, I knew that the connection form base to monitor was a bit flimsy, but I never touch my monitor so I didn't care. I read on newegg about how to set it up properly (brightness 100, gamma lvl 3, and all colors set to full). Let me tell you what! This thing is gorgeous. I am currently only using one out of two due to still being stuck to a laptop. Seeing the difference is screen quality and color representation makes me want to take a hammer to this laptop! For $99.00 this was a steal! Once I am back to a desktop and running both monitors, this will be a gorgeous set-up. The 1080p looked awesome yesterday for the hobbit and for Batman: Dark Knight Rises. Crisp, full of color, fantastic! And some may have issues with the touch buttons, but to be honest, they work GREAT! No issues whatsoever other than that the neck to screen connection wobbles a bit. What do you expect from a 23" monitor that is thinner than my laptop screen! If these sell again...you cannot go wrong! BUY BUY BUY!

"In reading the lives of great men, I found that the first victory they won was over themselves...self-discipline with all of them came first."
-Harry S Truman

pucmw11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pucmw11
glubash wrote:I have the 22" AOC from a previous sale. The only problem that I have with it is that it is super bright. Wash out colors, hurt your eyes bright. With the brightness turned all the way down, it is about right (although a bit lower would be better).

I agree with nb109
You may talk to them about a replacement. I just got two of the 23" AOC monitors and they're both gorgeous once the settings are dialed in properly. Agreed, a bit of wobble...but they're too pretty to care!
Best Regards

"In reading the lives of great men, I found that the first victory they won was over themselves...self-discipline with all of them came first."
-Harry S Truman

zvishap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zvishap

Anyone know if the 19" and 20" monitors can be set up vertically (preferably using the stand that comes with the screen)?