WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

SanDisk Sansa Digital Media Players

The original scrappy underdog MP3 player returns to its natural home, bringing a message of hope, renewal, and cheap multimedia playback to a weary nation. We've missed you these last few years, Sansa. Let's never do that again.
Sandisk Sansa official site

Quality Posts

Squirrelhunter70

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Squirrelhunter70

I own a Sansa Clip+ 8GB player. Works well, has a micro SD slot for increasing memory. Get yourself a 16 GB card off amazon and you'll have yourself a 24 GB mp3 player on the cheaps.

Don't forget that these even play FLAC.

And nothing beats drag and drop to put music on your device.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Sansas are back! Sansas are back!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

webgenie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages webgenie
ThunderThighs wrote:Sansas are back! Sansas are back!

I've owned 2 of these a 4 gig and now an 8 gig. The organization of media is awesome. I love them....simple to use

kfujita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kfujita

SO EXCITED! ever since i misplaced my sansa a couple of years ago, i've been hoping for a chance to get a replacement. thanks woot!

mdwyerfoo

quality posts: 22 Private Messages mdwyerfoo

As always, don't forget that these support Rockbox which adds even more file formats, nearly unlimited skinning, and even gives you the ability to play Doom!

No. Really. You can play Doom on the tiny Clip+ screen. I'm not saying it is playable, mind you...

yamswool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yamswool

Man I remember these things. I had one back in the day and I love drag and drop instead of using iTunes.

sarlizbeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarlizbeth

I've been pondering a cheap, small mp3 player to use at the gym instead of my ipod touch. 20 bucks, clips on, AND expandable storage? I'm in.

The_WalL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages The_WalL
sarlizbeth wrote:I've been pondering a cheap, small mp3 player to use at the gym instead of my ipod touch. 20 bucks, clips on, AND expandable storage? I'm in.

Do any of these read microSDXC cards?

Also, which one is newer than the others?

HeadAcheJoe

quality posts: 3 Private Messages HeadAcheJoe

Is there still an online petition for sansa.woot.com??

If not, there *should* be!

mybestuser1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybestuser1

I wish they had Bluetooth then I would buy one on the spot.

Nothing is free but if you are lucky it can be inexpensive.

mattschuette

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mattschuette

Staff

The_WalL wrote:Do any of these read microSDXC cards?

Officially, no. Seems that people have had success formatting 64GB MicroSDXC as FAT32 instead of exFAT, but you do that at your own risk. That could destroy the card and even if not, may not work.

The_WalL wrote:Also, which one is newer than the others?

Speaking in no official capacity here, I'm nearly certain the Clip+ was first to market of the players in this Plus event.

Seattleone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seattleone

Can you replace the battery like thier older MP3 Players?

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Paycheck drops in... 24 t and counting

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino

Cheap and simple. I use em. I also have to buy about one every year or two because the battery ends up crapping out or the audio input gets loose (maybe because I use them around machinery = vibration).

Soulcleaver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Soulcleaver

Beware: the Fuze+ has abominable touchscreen controls. I sold mine and bought one of the older models shown to the right and have had no problems with it. Sansa mp3 players are great, but the Fuze+ is a step back.

ozzallos

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ozzallos

I still regard these things as light years superior than most 'i' products if you're just looking for something that will play music and play it right. The inclusion of an SD card slot is golden all by itself.

Don't forget to Rockbox this badboy and you'll be in music purist heaven.

mfpmax

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mfpmax
Soulcleaver wrote:Beware: the Fuze+ has abominable touchscreen controls. I sold mine and bought one of the older models shown to the right and have had no problems with it. Sansa mp3 players are great, but the Fuze+ is a step back.

100% agree. I own several Sansa players, and once we got my mom a Fuze+ I thought it was just like the original Fuze in a shiny new wrapper...I was so wrong. Along with poorly thought out capacitive controls they removed functionality the original Fuze had. You want to play ALL the music on your player? Nope sorry you're restricted to only playing one album at a time.

The Clip+ I believe keeps the original functions of the Sansa player family however.

jimnovator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jimnovator

I have three Sansa e-series from about four or five years ago. They are still working and play at least 10 hours continuous on a single charge.

They are rugged and robust, plus have the added feature of a decent FM radio tuner and a recording option. I have two children in orchestra and the sansa has been used to record audio of their performances and I must say it sounds better than most of the dedicated recorders others have used.

I am in for a clip for a small fantastic do all music player. I also agree with Rockbox as a great adaption that adds even more features and controls on the Sansa.

The earbuds that came with the older units were too big to fit comfortably in my ears, or anyone else in my family, so I would recommend a nice pair of in ear plugs. I have found Altec and Skull Candy work well and have been durable for all my uses.

ewhac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ewhac
mdwyerfoo wrote:As always, don't forget that these support Rockbox which adds even more file formats, nearly unlimited skinning, [ ... ]

Not quite.

The Clip and Clip+ players are supported, as well as the older Fuze. But the Fuze+ port is still experimental (see status page here).

But yes, it's nice to see the Sansa players back.

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou

OK, I've been buying Sansa players since Woot! was, uh, just Woot!

I've given dozens away, had them stolen, but in all that time, I've has a single REFURBED one die. One.

I've had worse luck buying lunch from the ptomaine truck! (Roach coach, for you East coasters.)

I'd rate Sandisk, and Sansa right up with a '67 Plymouth Valiant. It's ugly, but won't EVER let you down! (And, you can fix the Valiant with a rock, baling wire, and duct tape.)(Plymouth could sue me, if they were still around!)

steve

fiftymegatims

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fiftymegatims

I had this exact player (4gb) that I bought off of sellout. It was a refurb. It lasted about 6 months before the screen went blank. It still played but navigation was hopeless.
I went back to my ancient Creative Muvo.

Other than lasting 6 months it was a great player.

ceejatec

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ceejatec

Just wanted to mention that the Clip+ is also the perfect Audible.com audiobook player. Tiny, easy to use, works great, and even the 4G player holds a bunch of books. I tried a number of players and this was the only one which always seemed to bookmark correctly; you'd always come back right where you left off.

I've used one for years, and just recently it started getting a little spazzy (refusing to pause playback for instance). For the moment I've switched to listening to audiobooks via Bluetooth streaming from my phone, but it might just pick up one of these Clip+s as a backup...

kylelmccoy

quality posts: 13 Private Messages kylelmccoy

You know - I have been looking to replace my Diamond Rio PMP300... But I have difficulties with upgrading to something so new...

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

Great player for people who steal their music off the internet. I pay for my MP4s because I think that's the right thing to do, so I'm stuck with my iPhone and my iPod.

vmforrest

quality posts: 8 Private Messages vmforrest

EEEEEKKKK!!!! *squeals with delight*

mreynolds179

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mreynolds179

Sansa's are GREAT! Refurbs not so much. I have had 2 die after a week, but other 2 are still rocking on.

badcatstl

quality posts: 6 Private Messages badcatstl

Clips are great but the new fuze not so much. The buttons don't like to respond. My MIL was using the View we gave my FIL at work, so he got her one of her own. Problem was the new fuze doesn't have the wheel, not as user friendly.

I have had two clips, husband lost one had to replace it. Tempted to get a backup.

wambut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wambut

Great for nostalgia, but these prices are awful. You can get a refurb. 4 or 8 gig Fuze all over the place for around $20. Latest here, for $18: http://computers.itechdeals.com/#fullDesc

cosmicpea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cosmicpea

I've had a refurb Clip+ for years. It's amazingly simple, easy to drag and drop music. You can see the display in sunlight, unlike with some other Sansa players. But mine doesn't get a lot of use simply because there is no way to get the volume loud enough to hear it through the car stereo via 3.5mm cable. It's okay for around town but the second you get on the freeway the engine/wind noise makes it impossible to hear. Since my two older Sansas work fine in the car, as do two cell phones, the problem is not my car stereo, it's this little puppy. I've played with all the settings and EQ'd it to the max. Just doesn't have the volume.

Keep that in mind if you're buying it. Great for use with earbuds (the ones that come with it are throwaways) or a better pair of phones, but doesn't play well with external speakers.

drakar2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages drakar2007
ewhac wrote:Not quite.

The Clip and Clip+ players are supported, as well as the older Fuze. But the Fuze+ port is still experimental

I got my GF a fuze+ because of its rb support (and the relative lack of any original-fuzes still available anywhere); take it from me, the original firmware is nigh unusable, but this little thing is pretty decent when Rockbox is installed. It is still slightly buggy, but very very useable (and the screen is brilliant and a lot larger than its predecessor).

hardapathy29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hardapathy29
lorenzodemedici wrote:Great player for people who steal their music off the internet. I pay for my MP4s because I think that's the right thing to do, so I'm stuck with my iPhone and my iPod.

I buy my music from amazon and listen to music i ripped from my cds on my sansa no icrap or theft required.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

I love these Sansa players. I have a habit of losing MP3 players, so these cheap, completely acceptable players are perfect for me. They do drain the battery pretty quickly if you use the radio function, but that's my only real complaint.

lisaviolet

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lisaviolet
lorenzodemedici wrote:Great player for people who steal their music off the internet. I pay for my MP4s because I think that's the right thing to do, so I'm stuck with my iPhone and my iPod.

Yeah, I'd say "stuck with" is a good way of putting it. I pay for my downloaded music (not from iTune$), and it works just fine on my Sansas.

As do the songs I copy from the wall of compact disks I have in the other room.

raitalin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raitalin

On what planet is iTunes the only way to legitimately DL music? I mean, it's almost certainly the *worst* way, but definitely not the only way.

tadef

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tadef

So, will the fuze+ support Rockbox or not? It's been stated both ways here. Lucky for me, I just discovered an unopened 8gb fuze in the bowels of my office (which I'm pretty sure I bought off woot some time ago...although it's not a refurb). Should I just stick with it?

andybeals

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andybeals
tadef wrote:So, will the fuze+ support Rockbox or not? It's been stated both ways here. Lucky for me, I just discovered an unopened 8gb fuze in the bowels of my office (which I'm pretty sure I bought off woot some time ago...although it's not a refurb). Should I just stick with it?

The rockbox page http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaFuzePlus seems to indicate that it works, but it's a bit funky. See the "Mysteries" section.

tadef

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tadef

So it sounds like it makes more sense to stick with the regular fuze. Fewer problems, and people seem to like it better anyway...

Right?

arismella

quality posts: 16 Private Messages arismella

I hoarded a collection of Sansa Clips (non-plus version) late last year when I saw a bunch of overstocks on final clearance. They're unbeatable for inexpensive, reliable, feature-rich (for a minimal music player, that is) audio on-the-go. I have an iphone 5 with zero music on it, because I would rather carry this little guy and not care if it gets wet/sweaty, runs for hours without a way to recharge, bounces around, gets smushed/sat on, etc. It's the best.

<3 you Sansa!

arismella

quality posts: 16 Private Messages arismella
tgentry wrote:They do drain the battery pretty quickly if you use the radio function, but that's my only real complaint.

I probably get 6-10 hours of battery on my clip listening to the radio. (At least?)

Let's put it this way -- I've never really had it die on me except for times I unintentionally left it on. When I remember, or before a long trip, I plug it in to recharge, but otherwise I don't really think about it. YMMV.