Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2673 Private Messages lichme

Crab

quality posts: 47 Private Messages Crab

Relevant:
"How To Uninstall McAfee Antivirus" https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bKgf5PaBzyg (NSFW language)

syninthecity

quality posts: 10 Private Messages syninthecity

seriously? on tech woot, and not as a gag gift? friends don't let friends install crappy mmalware disguised as antivirus software.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3135 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of unhappy shoppers (2.0 out of 5.0) on the Backup software over at amazon

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3135 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this "good" review on the backup software over at pcmag.com

nappyho

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nappyho

since 2005 the norton antivirus engine became a processor hog and will slow your computer to a crawl.. try the free version from the symantec website and see if it isnt so.

bonesandjones

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonesandjones

This is one of the few times in life people pay money to INSTALL a virus, rather than remove it.

I'd rather run a computer with no antivirus than run with Norton.

GenHacker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GenHacker

Really? This would be the last software I would by for my computer. In addition to resource hog, it can be a bear to completely remove when you want to. Try free Avira for a robust anti virus but stay away from Norton anything! I will pass on this...!!

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

Yeah, NAV ceased being a good solution years ago. Fun fact: Peter Norton sold out to Symantec in 1990, and hasn't had anything to do with it since.

Even Microsoft's Security Essentials is better, and it's free.

I have also been using the free version of Avast, but current versions are turning into nagware, with popups trying to get you to buy their paid products.

If you're just interested in the backup, you can buy the 100GB version from Norton for $29.99. (Woot is selling the 25GB version.)

Note that the price only includes one year of service. If you want to continue using either after one year, you have to pay.

lolamarya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lolamarya

Norton is evil. Whenever I have a client who has anything Norton on their PC and I have to help them, I cringe. Yuck.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1068 Private Messages whatsamattaU

I'll be the contrarian just to balance things out. Yes, I know a lot of people have had trouble with Norton. Yes, it has been a resource hog in the past (and still may be for some). Yes, I had fun trying to buy the next year's version rather than auto-renew (and had to talk to tech support to resolve this).

However, I've had bought Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security, and Norton 360 for over a decade for my own and my parents' computers. I also now get the NIS equivalent free from my internet provider. I've never had significant problems with it, hasn't hogged the resources on my computers for at least the last 3-4 years that I can recall, has caught just about everything bad (the one miss was minor, and Malwarebytes Antimalware (edited name) caught it--free), and the articles I've read indicate it's still good for protection (yes, not all articles agree). Oh, and so far, no trouble uninstalling the last few years when I've had to.

The backup service though, I have no idea on.

(and no, I have no connection to Norton, and they're far from perfect, as I noted in the first paragraph)

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090

This is a bummer, and the first "sucker" to this couldn't be further from the literal meaning of the word.

I wouldn't recommend this software, It was crap when I had it forced on me with an HP in 1999, and I hear it's still crap. Seems from reviews and comments above that it's still just a crock.

I'd like to meet some of the programming team, see what they say about it. lol..

cjsutherland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland

Adding to the hate...this sucks.

Avast get the nod for me...AVG Free and even Microsoft Essentials are good/okay too.

alexjleon

quality posts: 4 Private Messages alexjleon

I'd hate to give more of the same but... Norton has often been the cause of many troubles in my experience and I often would switch users to something + MBAM. MBAM, btw, is absolutely fantastic.

Norton is better than nothing, but when you have problems with your computer it'd be a good idea to troubleshoot Norton as the culprit early on.

whatsamattaU

alexjleon wrote:I'd hate to give more of the same but... Norton has often been the cause of many troubles in my experience and I often would switch users to something + MBAM. MBAM, btw, is absolutely fantastic.

Norton is better than nothing, but when you have problems with your computer it'd be a good idea to troubleshoot Norton as the culprit early on.

To clarify, here's the link to the free version of MBAM (Malwarebytes Antimalware), which I noted above and agree is a good 2nd check (and I've owned over 5 years):
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

whatsamattaU

One more thing: some reviews
PC World when evaluating security suites that included antivirus, last January:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025949/security-software-showdown-9-antivirus-suites-empirically-tested.html

PCMag 2013 (and yes, I know Neil Rubenking has been endorsing Norton in his review articles for years)
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

AV comparatives, which is independent and has been around a while, including monthly tests and organization of data in different ways, including by company:
http://www.av-comparatives.org

anonymoushero

quality posts: 2 Private Messages anonymoushero

This is good if you want to practice uninstalling software.

tgall45

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tgall45

Where's the rebate to make it free? This is anti-virus software after all.

tgall45

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tgall45
nappyho wrote:since 2005 the norton antivirus engine became a processor hog and will slow your computer to a crawl.. try the free version from the symantec website and see if it isnt so.

That was 8 years ago. It hasn't been a processor hog for a while now.

xxtermin8rxxx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xxtermin8rxxx

Microsoft Security Essentials is really all you need on a PC for protection.

On Macs... good luck, you bastards ;n;7

kaleoa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaleoa
whatsamattaU wrote:One more thing: some reviews
PC World when evaluating security suites that included antivirus, last January:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025949/security-software-showdown-9-antivirus-suites-empirically-tested.html

PCMag 2013 (and yes, I know Neil Rubenking has been endorsed Norton in his review articles for years)
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

AV comparatives, which is independent and has been around a while, including monthly tests and organization of data in different ways, including by company:
http://www.av-comparatives.org

Here's one more review to add to the list.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/choose_your_defender_10_anti-virus_programs_reviewed_and_compared?page=0,1

It's for 2012, but it shows a trend. As it says in the review, several years ago Symantec started again from scratch, listening to all of the complaints it had gotten in the past. All the negative comments on here are based on pre-2009 Norton, which would be totally justified. But if you read any current reviews you'll see they're doing pretty good now days.

That being said, I still use the free stuff(AVG + Malwarebytes) because I'm cheap and the free stuff usually rates as high or higher than the paid stuff. But I wouldn't have a problem recommending Norton to someone.

blissful0ne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blissful0ne

I came here just to see if the comments would be accurate and entertaining... They are.

thinkweiz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thinkweiz
blissful0ne wrote:I came here just to see if the comments would be accurate and entertaining... They are.

+1
I'm in agreement with the rest of the comments. Go free or go home.

Sakusami

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sakusami

Eww... Who would want to pay to willingly install a virus like this on their system?

icartb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages icartb
conanthelibrarian wrote:Lots of unhappy shoppers (2.0 out of 5.0) on the Backup software over at amazon

I'm one of those unhappy reviewers. Don't buy.

icartb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages icartb
kaleoa wrote:Here's one more review to add to the list.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/choose_your_defender_10_anti-virus_programs_reviewed_and_compared?page=0,1

It's for 2012, but it shows a trend. As it says in the review, several years ago Symantec started again from scratch, listening to all of the complaints it had gotten in the past. All the negative comments on here are based on pre-2009 Norton, which would be totally justified. But if you read any current reviews you'll see they're doing pretty good now days.

That being said, I still use the free stuff(AVG + Malwarebytes) because I'm cheap and the free stuff usually rates as high or higher than the paid stuff. But I wouldn't have a problem recommending Norton to someone.

Not necessarily. I have online backup. Sooooo not impressed. Current edition. Be careful what you say.

whatsamattaU

icartb wrote:Not necessarily. I have online backup. Sooooo not impressed. Current edition. Be careful what you say.

Personally, I thought he was only referring to the antivirus program, but maybe I'm wrong.

If one can afford it, PC Magazine had SOS Online Backup as the Editors' Choice for backup:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395581,00.asp

k87

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k87

I'll never ever trust Symantec again. I would not get this if it was free. If you have end point at work, you'll know how good it can get and you'll see how bad the consumer product is... Stay away.

corvettejoe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages corvettejoe

MSE/MalwareBytes/CCleaner is the only combo to ever use IMO. Lightweight yet powerful.

With free to use cleaners/scanners out there, there is absolutely NO reason to buy junk like Norton or McAfee in this day and age.

I fix computers for a living. One of my big bread and butter things is virus cleanup and speeding computers up. Almost every single one someone has thats loaded with viruses all have Norton or McAfee on it, and many people tell me they just renewed it for the year.

The FIRST thing I uninstall is these two before I continue LOL.
you only need 3 things to clean 95% of any computer. (well, 4 if you want to count Add/Remove programs)

Add/Remove programs - Remove anything not used, not relavant, tool bars, multiple virus scanners, registry cleaners, fix-it utilities, etc. Get rid of it all.

then install and run CCleaner, MalwareBytes AntiMalware (Free, dont install the pro features) and then finally Microsoft Security Essentials (free to use for any licensed windows product).

Bing. Bang. Boom. Done.

The other 5% sometimes need more... but then the average user inst going to fix that on their own anyway.

syninthecity wrote:seriously? on tech woot, and not as a gag gift? friends don't let friends install crappy mmalware disguised as antivirus software.

LOL @ gag gift!

fshoemak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fshoemak
whatsamattaU wrote:I'll be the contrarian just to balance things out. Yes, I know a lot of people have had trouble with Norton. Yes, it has been a resource hog in the past (and still may be for some). Yes, I had fun trying to buy the next year's version rather than auto-renew (and had to talk to tech support to resolve this).

However, I've had bought Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security, and Norton 360 for over a decade for my own and my parents' computers. I also now get the NIS equivalent free from my internet provider. I've never had significant problems with it, hasn't hogged the resources on my computers for at least the last 3-4 years that I can recall, has caught just about everything bad (the one miss was minor, and Malwarebytes Antimalware (edited name) caught it--free), and the articles I've read indicate it's still good for protection (yes, not all articles agree). Oh, and so far, no trouble uninstalling the last few years when I've had to.

The backup service though, I have no idea on.

(and no, I have no connection to Norton, and they're far from perfect, as I noted in the first paragraph)

fshoemak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fshoemak
fshoemak wrote:

You must be the luckiest person in the world.

I was running Norton Internet Security on 6 machines and it sucks.
It will not catch malware period.
It will not run with software that will kill malware.
It is a bear to uninstall and you need a special tool to get rid of it entirely.

Again you are the luckiest person in the world or you have no idea your machine has been taken over by rot.

whatsamattaU

fshoemak wrote:You must be the luckiest person in the world.

I was running Norton Internet Security on 6 machines and it sucks.
It will not catch malware period.
It will not run with software that will kill malware.
It is a bear to uninstall and you need a special tool to get rid of it entirely.

Again you are the luckiest person in the world or you have no idea your machine has been taken over by rot.

I've run 3 computers at work here, I've owned several at home, my parents scare(d) me at times with the websites they go to (and Norton has caught their problems), and I help fix a number of my friends' computer problems (including when they get infected). I'm not an expert, but I'm definitely not an amateur. I've never had my email programs hacked, and run scans with other online scanners occasionally to be sure (like for files, etc.). I'm almost to the point of paranoid with my computer security. I've tried a number of programs including spybot search and destroy, cc cleaner, mcafee, avast, etc.

I'm not offended in the least if you want to call me lucky. If I need to go to avast, microsoft security essentials, etc. I wouldn't be too concerned about switching, but I highly doubt I'm clueless on this topic (or my computers).

Point is, I'm telling you my experiences, realizing that I may indeed be lucky for the last 10+ years since switching from McAfee, but not EVERYONE has trouble w/Norton. I wouldn't be surprised if you surveyed 100 people at random, that 80% have trouble, or that you could find Norton doesn't work as well at defending as other programs, but I have no reason to switch yet.

One other thought. I know how Neil Rubenking gets trashed in the comments section at PC Magazine over the years about how Norton is good and runs well on his computers. However, I also subscribe to Maximum PC as referenced above, which is the opposite of the Mainstream PC Magazine in my book, and THEY gave NIS 2012 a 10/10. That was the LAST thing I expected to see. Someone else linked to it above.

(addendum: For what it's worth, if you are willing to pay for Fred Langa's and other columns at WindowsSecrets (wonderful subscription), he's written columns like this on security (and he doesn't endorse Norton among his choices):
https://windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/using-multiple-layers-of-security-an-update/
https://windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/ms-security-essentials-poor-showing-in-new-test/
but go ahead and try the free columns they offer first. If you're into computers, you may recognize leading writers (including authors) writing for them.)

birdoprey5

quality posts: 11 Private Messages birdoprey5

Is this a joke? Pay YOU for Norton? People have paid ME to uninstall Norton.

RUN AWAY from this "Deal" as fast as you can!

Microsoft Security Essentials does the job for free. If you really want to spend money the paid versions of Avira or Avast will be far superior to anything Norton puts out.

whatsamattaU

birdoprey5 wrote:Is this a joke? Pay YOU for Norton? People have paid ME to uninstall Norton.

RUN AWAY from this "Deal" as fast as you can!

Microsoft Security Essentials does the job for free. If you really want to spend money the paid versions of Avira or Avast will be far superior to anything Norton puts out.

Since Langa is a pay column I referenced above from last fall, I'll just quote snippets:

https://windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/ms-security-essentials-poor-showing-in-new-test/

"Test finds MS Security Essentials inadequate

In its September/October malware test report, AV-TEST gave Microsoft’s free anti-malware utility low AV protection scores and revoked its certification of MSE. It’s not the first time MSE has fared poorly in independent antivirus tests — and probably won’t be the last.

Although I’ve recommended MSE in several stories, I’ve also written about past failures....

If these failures make you not trust MSE, then by all means switch to another tool! No software is ideally suited for every configuration, every situation, and every user. In fact, in that Nov. 8 story, I wrote:

“MSE is probably not the best choice for novice users and those who rarely think about PC security — users who click any link that interests them and who ignore security warnings. Those users need lots of protection — mostly from themselves!”....

The most important point: Viruses and malware don’t teleport into your PC — they’re let in....

With a modicum of common sense, you can avoid these all-too-common infection vectors. Include basic browser-level protection against bad links, bad sites, and phishing (all the major browsers now have that protection built in and turned on by default), add in real-time/full-time anti-malware tools, and you’re pretty well protected.

Not without some consideration, I’ve been using MSE on all 14 (four physical systems and 10 virtual PCs) of my Windows systems for several years now. I use MSE alone on 13 of the systems but add Malwarebytes (site) as a backstop on my primary system — just to be extra safe.

Some of these systems are online 24/7; all are used heavily. Yet not one of these 14 systems has ever succumbed to malware of any kind (with the exception of that deliberate, manually induced LizaM**n infection).

How do I know my systems are safe? I do regular, periodic verification scans with independent, standalone security tools such as ESET’s Online Scanner (site), Microsoft’s Safety Scanner (site), or Trend Micro’s House Call (site).

I don’t dispute the lab-test findings, but I also know that in real-life conditions, MSE has worked fine for me.

It’s also worth noting that malware testing is a snapshot in time.... No matter which AV tool you use, there are no guarantees.

That’s why good security begins with good Internet habits.

Bottom line: I’m still comfortable using MSE. It’s proven reliable on my systems, and it’s easy to use. If you’re not comfortable with MSE, then pick another tool! There are many other good products available, both free and paid. I list six products in the Feb. 16 Top Story, “Is your free AV tool a ‘resource pig’?”

You should always weigh any recommendations — pro and con, from me or anyone else — against your criteria, experience, and operational needs."

The other 4 above referenced sites (Maximum PC, PC World, PC Magazine, and www.av-comparatives.org) have been around for years and well respected (from what I've read/seen). If nothing else, if you are looking for something else than Norton, pick something from those FREE guides.

k87

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k87
corvettejoe wrote:The FIRST thing I uninstall is these two before I continue LOL.

I am very happy to know that society has progressed to a point where we can use uninstall Norton and LOL in the same sentence. Thank you for this, Symantec.

jyllianm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jyllianm

Count me as lucky too, I've been running this for years in Enterprise environments, personally and on friend and family machines. No major problems. In 2008 they had a bad release and obviously they still haven't gotten past it with the general public. I've had good protection. My family, who is not in the least bit savvy and who do things I would never do on the internet have been protected. I've used all types of anti virus (in a professional capacity)and had issues with all of them at times. That said, I'm probably going to pick the antivirus up for the family.

jyllianm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jyllianm

jeez I just realized I was still writing in my work voice. How about this instead. Works for me, has worked, gonna buy it for my sister.

jyllianm wrote:Count me as lucky too, I've been running this for years in Enterprise environments, personally and on friend and family machines. No major problems. In 2008 they had a bad release and obviously they still haven't gotten past it with the general public. I've had good protection. My family, who is not in the least bit savvy and who do things I would never do on the internet have been protected. I've used all types of anti virus (in a professional capacity)and had issues with all of them at times. That said, I'm probably going to pick the antivirus up for the family.

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo

First of all, Nonrot AV is one of the worst.
Second of all, we don't have to do backups any more, the NSA has backups of everything everyone has!
If you need them just call them, and they will give the backups back to you!

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

coolbro12389

quality posts: 3 Private Messages coolbro12389

haha norton, this is always the first thing I uninstall on a new computers when they got it preinstalled