conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3459 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of great reviews (4.4 out of 5.0) on the tablet only over at bestbuy.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3459 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Read (and watch) this "very good" review over at cnet.com

DavidHart

quality posts: 12 Private Messages DavidHart

I have this tablet and I love it. I've used it on trips to backup photos to a microSD card, watch movies on the plane, etc.

Out of the box it is a great tablet, but it gets a bit laggy at times.

When I bought mine, I bought the square trade warranty, unlocked it, and installed CleanROM Inheritance 3.x on it. It makes the tablet that much smoother.

The latest version is CROMi-Xenogenesis 4.x, but I haven't had time to try it yet.

Newegg has this for $339 refurbished, but that is without the dock. The Keyboard Dock goes for over $120. So, this is a good price.

Skeeterator

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Skeeterator
DavidHart wrote:I have this tablet and I love it. I've used it on trips to backup photos to a microSD card, watch movies on the plane, etc.

When I bought mine, I bought the square trade warranty, unlocked it, and installed CleanROM Inheritance 3.x on it. It makes the tablet that much smoother.

The latest version is CROMi-Xenogenesis 4.x, but I haven't had time to try it yet.

Newegg has this for $339 refurbished, but that is without the dock. The Keyboard Dock goes for over $120. So, this is a good price.

Yeah, crazy good deal. They sell for more than this (refurb) without the kb, and realize that the kb has a big aux battery and full sized sd socket, a good deal on its own @ over $140 or so.

Screen is magnificent, though not as over the top as the retina display on the ipad 3&4. A great tablet, my first foray out of iOS and into android and a GREAT first device. Some great apps later and I'm loving it @ half the price of a new ipad, and with TWO memory slots to add storage.

Great deal...

ninjabb4

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ninjabb4

Just bought one.. Hope it's as good as reviews say

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

The previous woot and woot-offs the last few months have sold the champagne color for $369.99 (so it's $10 more for the more traditional darker gray at $379.99 tonight?)
174 comments on the last regular woot for the champagne color in April
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5410921

wootwowbro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootwowbro
whatsamattaU wrote:The previous woot and woot-offs the last few months have sold the champagne color for $369.99 (so it's $10 more for the more traditional darker gray at $379.99 tonight?)

That one doesn't include the Keyboard Dock

steve1221

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steve1221

Great piece of kit, amazing price.... but why send me the info, take my address and payment detail and THEN tell me you don't ship to the UK!!!!!
The system knows very well where I live, so why send me offers you know I can't take advantage of?

Not a happy shopper

bugzappers2112

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bugzappers2112

Where is the deal? Retail Refurb Prices? Face it people, WOOT! is over. I can spend 300.00 on a new laptop at a big box store. Who cares the features on this? It's still a REFURB and is outdated. They should be throwing these things to us. Not charging FULL RETAIL REFURBISHED prices. I am disgusted as I look through all the so called WOOT! deals.

You can Woot! if you want to, you can leave Amazon behind, because if you don't buy the Woot! from the real Woot!, then you're, no friend of mine. Say we can Woot!, we can Woot!, they're doing it from home to home.

javcky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages javcky
bugzappers2112 wrote:Where is the deal? Retail Refurb Prices? Face it people, WOOT! is over. I can spend 300.00 on a new laptop at a big box store. Who cares the features on this? It's still a REFURB and is outdated. They should be throwing these things to us. Not charging FULL RETAIL REFURBISHED prices. I am disgusted as I look through all the so called WOOT! deals.

You can spend 300$ on a sub par laptop with a celeron CPU that will under perform compared to this. Also I would like to see you post this refurb at a cheaper price?

shoshanaz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shoshanaz

Using one right now. Out of box, I was not a happy camper (browser was horrendously slow). If you get one, I recommend rooting and installing CROMI-Xenogenesis firmware. It makes a huge difference. And even if you don't root, do not use task killer apps. Because of the heuristics used, they effectively turn your tablet into a turtle. I actuallly really like the tablet now that it has clean firmware. Good buy!

(another poster mentioned the firmware "Cleanrom Inheritance" -- Cromi-X is the successor .)

It is not a replacement for a desktop, but a very solid Android tablet.

acraigl

quality posts: 43 Private Messages acraigl
DavidHart wrote:I have this tablet and I love it. I've used it on trips to backup photos to a microSD card, watch movies on the plane, etc.

+1
I am running Cromi-x 4.66 (latest) and this tablet really flies on it. Would buy this again in a heartbeat if I knew a 3rd party ROM could boost performance so much.

Love this tab.

whatsamattaU

wootwowbro wrote:That one doesn't include the Keyboard Dock

Oh, sorry, thanks. Missed that. Corrected above.

whatsamattaU

whatsamattaU wrote:The previous woot and woot-offs the last few months have sold the champagne color for $369.99 (so it's $10 more for the more traditional darker gray at $379.99 (edit: wootwowbro noted the champagne one doesn't have the dock as part of the sale)

jas409

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jas409

This is a great deal. I wish I had the money to drop on this. I have a TF101 and love it but it's getting a little long in the tooth. I was waiting till the Infinity prices got down to around what I paid for my 101 to make the jump. It appears that has happened.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
bugzappers2112 wrote:Where is the deal? Retail Refurb Prices? Face it people, WOOT! is over. I can spend 300.00 on a new laptop at a big box store. Who cares the features on this? It's still a REFURB and is outdated. They should be throwing these things to us. Not charging FULL RETAIL REFURBISHED prices. I am disgusted as I look through all the so called WOOT! deals.

You really have no idea what your talking about. Woot! has always had refurbished items. I've purchased many and never had a problem with any of them, others share my experience as well. You're doing a lot of CPUing but not providing any solutions to this problem. Where could I find this cheaper?

As for this tablet, I have a little earlier 16GB version with keyboard and it rocks. I paid about this price for it new (with keyboard) but it has half the space and I waited 6 hours in line in line at best buy on black friday :-/ I'm not sure which Android OS this will support but if you unlock it (mentioned above) you'll bet even better performance.

We recently took it on vacation to watch netflix and look at maps and attractions to plan out our week. It's fast, the screen looks great, it's so easy to transfer data to and from a camera or phone (and I use an iPhone). The keyboard nearly doubles the battery. This is by far the best non iOS tablet I've used. My only compliant is that the charging cable is a little flimsy.

psymonkey

quality posts: 4 Private Messages psymonkey
nmchapma wrote:You really have no idea what your talking about. Woot! has always had refurbished items. I've purchased many and never had a problem with any of them, others share my experience as well.

Two things - The first is the last two refurbs I"ve gotten from woot have been absolute turds. One was an Asus Transformer TF300t. The other a weed whacker with NO packaging whatsoever (thanks woot for taking it back and refunding mine and other folks money who received them in the same condition)

Two: To anyone who buys this - WRITE DOWN THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THE PLAIN BOX YOU GET IT IN!!!!!!!! - or better yet keep the box. I threw mine away on my TF300t, the tablet died shortly thereafter and I was 100% out of luck. Asus wouldn't do a thing because I didn't have a serial even though I had 45 days lef ton my warranty. Woot assigned me two case numbers, but no follow ups.

Mine arrived with NO paperwork whatsoever. As I begged ASUS to work on it, they informed me that I should have registered the tablet. So know that you CAN register these refurbs even if there is no indication that you can or should.

WRITE IT DOWN AND REGISTER!!! (square trade might be wise too)

After all that, this fool is thinking about scooping one of these up. I miss having a tablet and if it actually works and lasts, this is one heck of a great deal on these.

evanjb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages evanjb
acraigl wrote:+1
I am running Cromi-x 4.66 (latest) and this tablet really flies on it. Would buy this again in a heartbeat if I knew a 3rd party ROM could boost performance so much.

Love this tab.

My tablet, previously purchased here, is slow as molasses. Might have something to do with my five year old's games on it. I can't really find any clear info on the software referenced online though with google...can you all help?

lionel47

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lionel47

I just pulled the trigger on it.

I was trying to decide between this and a Windows Surface RT (though my company I can get an RT with a type keyboard for $599).

In the end, I think the reviews on this, the widespread forums and the fact that Asus upgrades the software regularly and quickly were the turning points for me.

I have a laptop running Windows 7 and that's fine for home. But I travel a lot for business and carrying one 14" and one 15.4" laptop on trips has built up my muscles but is a huge PITA.

Ultimately, I would like to have a tablet that replaces my laptop. Some would say I should have gotten the Surface RT or Pro. But RT's app store is just not built up enough; maybe after it has a track record of a year or two. And the Pro is just more than I want to spend. I mean, my company provides a nice Core i7 laptop for me for work. I don't need a ~$1000 tablet for play.

I sold my Lenovo S2110 tablet with keyboard yesterday because of no upgrades and terrible communication and support from that company.

I am hoping this tablet is a keeper.

lionel47

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lionel47
acraigl wrote:+1

Love this tab.

I used to root stuff but now find that, with a toddler in the house, I just can't find the time.

My question is this: If I were to root, how much work will it be to upgrade when a new version of the rooted software is released? Is it start from scratch (reinstall all apps, etc.) or would it be like an OTA upgrade where you reboot and enjoy?

tortamus

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tortamus

Better this, or the 16GB 300 currently wooting under Tablets and Accessories for $279? With a MicroSD slot, I'm not that concerned with storage. What say ye, fellow Wooters?

shifuimam

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shifuimam

For anyone interested, here's the recommended ROM:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2223492

You'll have to unlock the bootloader with an Asus-provided tool in order to install CWM and third-party ROMs. This technically voids the warranty, but since these only have a 90 day warranty that shouldn't matter too much.

I'm going to try this ROM on my TF300T, which I absolutely love...we'll see!

rrussell

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rrussell

I ordered one! WHERE IS IT, WOOT? WHY HAVEN'T YOU SHIPPED YET?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rrussell wrote:I ordered one! WHERE IS IT, WOOT? WHY HAVEN'T YOU SHIPPED YET?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

chaseg327

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chaseg327

Having a tough time deciding between this and the Samsung ATIV 500T for sale in techWoot's tablet sale. I know this tablet is powerful and has a better screen (not to mention it comes with the keyboard and is $20 cheaper), but I'm really drawn to the desktop mode and Wacom stylus on the ATIV 500t. Any thoughts?

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
chaseg327 wrote:Having a tough time deciding between this and the Samsung ATIV 500T for sale in techWoot's tablet sale. I know this tablet is powerful and has a better screen (not to mention it comes with the keyboard and is $20 cheaper), but I'm really drawn to the desktop mode and Wacom stylus on the ATIV 500t. Any thoughts?

This one.

chaseg327

nmchapma wrote:This one.

Thanks for the brief, but helpful input!

I've read a few reviews on Amazon for both devices and I'm leaning more and more towards agreeing with you. This seems like a great deal...I feel as though I better pull the trigger pretty quickly before I miss out, haha.

rrussell

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rrussell
ThunderThighs wrote:

...and I want a pony.

vcholman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vcholman
chaseg327 wrote:Having a tough time deciding between this and the Samsung ATIV 500T for sale in techWoot's tablet sale. I know this tablet is powerful and has a better screen (not to mention it comes with the keyboard and is $20 cheaper), but I'm really drawn to the desktop mode and Wacom stylus on the ATIV 500t. Any thoughts?

I am not sure which version of windows 8 the ATIV has on it but...
If it is RT the choice of programs available is meager when compared to Apple or Android.
If it is full Win8 then the atom processor will be very laggy.
I would recommend the android. I have a 300T and love it. Use it every day for school and play.

wooting4keeps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooting4keeps

I was always wary of refurbs and had a perception that I would be getting subpar stuff and that it wasn't worth the risk to purchase refurbs. I took my first leap with a Woot refurb of one of these late last year, the Tablet + Dock, 16GB.

I received mine on 12/4 and have used it daily since. The thing literally came flawless, did a pixel test, no dead pixels and just basically looked brand new. 6+ months later and I still have had absolutely zero problems.

This was my first Android device, and I have had a blast learning the ropes with this machine: it is seriously gorgeous. I was not sure how much use I would really get out of it since I have a laptop, but boy, I find myself using this all the time! I really recommend the dock with it, it is so much more convenient.

I mainly use it for watching Youtube and Netflix, general web browsing, and Gmailing. It's also fun to try out new apps and games.

Given my positive experience with that refurb, I recently bought a refurbed LG TV from Sellout Woot, and I'm 99% sure this thing was literally an unopened return because it truly looks untouched.

So, I am still wary, and not all refurbs will go everyone's way, but as has been said before by others, remember: the complaints you see are a tiny fraction of the total buyers, and the vast majority of buyers are chilling with their badass refurbed stuff and loving it.

• First Woot: 08/21/2012
  • First Barge Of Carp: 04/24/2013
  • Second Box of Chips: Coming soon.
  • Total Woots as of 6/19/2013: 47
  • Dollars spent: $2000+

grantunderland

quality posts: 1 Private Messages grantunderland
tortamus wrote:Better this, or the 16GB 300 currently wooting under Tablets and Accessories for $279? With a MicroSD slot, I'm not that concerned with storage. What say ye, fellow Wooters?

I JUST replaced my broken 300t with a new one from Woot. If it wasn't for the laggy playback of High res GoPro video, I'd be more than happy with the 300. That being said, I'm in to see if the video plays better on this.

The video is 1080p 60 fps, and usually runs about 1GB for 4 minutes of video. So it isn't a surprise that not too many systems can handle it smooth as butter.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rrussell wrote:...and I want a pony.

Demanding thang, aren't ya?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ManiacDan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ManiacDan

I bought this tablet/keyboard combo back in January (for full retail price!) and it's one of my best and most-used pieces of tech outside of my phone.

There are only two downsides to this device:
1) The charging profile is unique. You cannot use ANY charging apparatus you currently own. It doesn't charge from a cell phone wall charger, an ipad wall charger, or a laptop USB port. It trickle-charges (full charge in 2-3 days) when plugged into a powered laptop dock in my office, but otherwise you must use the included asus charger or buy another high-capacity charger which produces sufficient amperage.

2) There's only a gig of RAM, making this tablet CRAWL when there's too much going on. And when I say "too much going on" I mean "any large widgets, currently downloading apps, software updates, or synch operations in the background." Doing more than one thing at a time (the reason to buy android in the first place) kills this tablet's performance. It still works, obviously, but it's not at all impressive. Side-by-side with an iPad you'd think the iPad was 4x the power of this tablet, instead of the other way around. Only including 1GB of RAM was a seriously poor design mistake by ASUS, and you will pay the price for it.

chaseg327

vcholman wrote:I am not sure which version of windows 8 the ATIV has on it but...
If it is RT the choice of programs available is meager when compared to Apple or Android.
If it is full Win8 then the atom processor will be very laggy.
I would recommend the android. I have a 300T and love it. Use it every day for school and play.

Thanks so much for your advice. I decided to pull the trigger on the Asus. The ATIV I was also interested in runs full Windows 8, which according to some folks, is pretty laggy (and buggy) on the Atom processor (just like you said). I have a Galaxy Note II and absolutely love the S-pen, but I think I can do without that considering all the great things this Asus has to offer. Thanks again for helping with my decision. Now that the decision's made, the hard part is going to be waiting for it to arrive! haha

wooting4keeps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooting4keeps
ManiacDan wrote:

2) There's only a gig of RAM, making this tablet CRAWL when there's too much going on. And when I say "too much going on" I mean "any large widgets, currently downloading apps, software updates, or synch operations in the background." Doing more than one thing at a time (the reason to buy android in the first place) kills this tablet's performance. It still works, obviously, but it's not at all impressive. Side-by-side with an iPad you'd think the iPad was 4x the power of this tablet, instead of the other way around. Only including 1GB of RAM was a seriously poor design mistake by ASUS, and you will pay the price for it.

Regarding point 2: If you are experiencing issues with RAM (which by the way, I do not believe most users will have problems here), one of my favorite things about this device that I use frequently is the Task Manager widget. This thing will allow me to kill apps I'm not using at any time. With a recent update, it actually lets you select exactly which ones you want to kill.

With all of the permissions on apps, a lot of apps (mostly ones that already came on the device) will be running in the background and CAN affect functionality. But if you start to feel like you're lagging, either hit the clean up button or select which ones to kill. Also consider restricting the auto-start apps.

• First Woot: 08/21/2012
  • First Barge Of Carp: 04/24/2013
  • Second Box of Chips: Coming soon.
  • Total Woots as of 6/19/2013: 47
  • Dollars spent: $2000+

madamos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madamos

I ordered one this morning. It had all of the features I had been looking for and the price with dock is pretty amazing. I'll probably go for the squaretrade warranty given the 90 day from Asus thing.

I'm not too worried about the next gen of tablets releasing in the near future since I probably wouldn't have been able to afford one , and would have picked up a previous gen one anyway based on price.

Assuming there's nothing seriously wrong with it, this is the kind of deal I expect from Woot. Substantially better than what other sellers are putting up.