WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Astra Radio Communications On The Mic

Testing! Testing! Check! Check one-two! Two-way radio! Two-way radio! Astra surveillance audio! Astra surveillance audio! Astra mics! Two! Two! Sibilants! Plosives! Sibilants! Plosives!
Astra official site

Quality Posts

huningning

quality posts: 2 Private Messages huningning

The iPhone Smart Surveillance Kit is awesome. And also the throat Mic.

Ningning Hu

huningning

T24 Throat Mic
http://www.arcmics.com/t24-series-digital-tactical-throat-microphone.html

Ningning Hu

j777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages j777

what is finger PTT?

huningning

j777 wrote:what is finger PTT?

Finger PTT is finger push to talk switch. It is pretty useful when you hold a rifle and want to talk to someone.

Ningning Hu

ballisticburrito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ballisticburrito

I wonder if the single-connection lapel microphone would work on my phone as a single earbud..would be useful at work where earbuds aren't technically allowed~

lacrosseone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lacrosseone
huningning wrote:Finger PTT is finger push to talk switch. It is pretty useful when you hold a rifle and want to talk to someone.

But does it? It looks like the button is mountable, but not wired to your finger, meaning taking a hand away from whatever it was otherwise tasked with in order to reach & push it....

//Unless that's what you meant and I'm not yet caffeinated enough to read the sarcasm...

lacrosseone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lacrosseone
lacrosseone wrote:But does it? It looks like the button is mountable, but not wired to your finger, meaning taking a hand away from whatever it was otherwise tasked with in order to reach & push it....

//Unless that's what you meant and I'm not yet caffeinated enough to read the sarcasm...

It seems that it is actually 'finger mountable'

http://www.arcmics.com/t24-series-digital-tactical-throat-microphone.html

in for one.

scapsinger

quality posts: 22 Private Messages scapsinger

The brand appears to be rock solid, but if you don't need the absolute very best, you can get these types of headsets a LOT cheaper through B&H:
Here are a bunch to choose from.

My favorite is probably Motorola Pair of Push-To-Talk 2-Way Surveillance Headsets for the Talkabout 2-Way Radio

rflashman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rflashman

This is not real PTT (push to talk). Once connected to a call, these mics are hot the whole time. Not like a radio "push to talk". I keep waiting for someone to make real push to talk for the iPhone. Then I buy it.

JiggaWagga

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JiggaWagga

Anyone know if anything like this exists for Android?

huningning

rflashman wrote:This is not real PTT (push to talk). Once connected to a call, these mics are hot the whole time. Not like a radio "push to talk". I keep waiting for someone to make real push to talk for the iPhone. Then I buy it.

You are right. But why don't you call them let them to customize one piece for you? I heard someone did that for an extra charge.

Ningning Hu

adrian1205

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adrian1205

The difference between the cheaper versions of microphones in the market is that ARC uses US made Kevlar on all of the wiring insulation rated to 120 lbs., also the microphone is US made Knowles which is a premium microphone as well as German made hypoallergenic acoustics tubes. All the others are not near the quality , sure you can pay 24.99, but you’re going to get 24.99 in quality and longevity

scapsinger wrote:The brand appears to be rock solid, but if you don't need the absolute very best, you can get these types of headsets a LOT cheaper through B&H:
Here are a bunch to choose from.

My favorite is probably Motorola Pair of Push-To-Talk 2-Way Surveillance Headsets for the Talkabout 2-Way Radio

j777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages j777

Wow, seems their T24 throat microphone is pretty famous. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throat_microphone
in for one.

huningning

ballisticburrito wrote:I wonder if the single-connection lapel microphone would work on my phone as a single earbud..would be useful at work where earbuds aren't technically allowed~

I doubt about that. The connector may be different between radio and cellphone.

Ningning Hu

kenji776

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenji776

Anyone happen to know if the throat mic will work with a Midland GXT1000VP4?

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT1000VP4-36-Mile-50-Channel-Two-Way/dp/B001WMFYH4/ref=pd_sim_e_1

adrian1205

Yes it will, it uses the 025 connector 2.5 mm pin.

kenji776 wrote:Anyone happen to know if the throat mic will work with a Midland GXT1000VP4?

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT1000VP4-36-Mile-50-Channel-Two-Way/dp/B001WMFYH4/ref=pd_sim_e_1

lolamarya

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lolamarya

This just brought me back to my security days, but it was staticy radios instead of iPhones. I might buy one just because

scapsinger

quality posts: 22 Private Messages scapsinger

Thank you for clarifying the part of my post where I said "If you don't need the absolute very best..."

;)

These Astras are made for daily use, so for someone who only needs them once a week or less frequently, the less expensive models I referenced will still be robust enough to last a few years. I know this from personal experience.

There is of course nothing wrong with the highest and best even if you don't "need" it, but when you can get 4+ of a similar item for the same price as 1, it's worth asking yourself if you really need it.

adrian1205 wrote:The difference between the cheaper versions of microphones in the market is that ARC uses US made Kevlar on all of the wiring insulation rated to 120 lbs., also the microphone is US made Knowles which is a premium microphone as well as German made hypoallergenic acoustics tubes. All the others are not near the quality , sure you can pay 24.99, but you’re going to get 24.99 in quality and longevity

adrian1205

I completely agree with you in regards to a person’s preference, I guess it comes down to if you want to buy a KIA & Lexus.

scapsinger wrote:Thank you for clarifying the part of my post where I said "If you don't need the absolute very best..."

;)

These Astras are made for daily use, so for someone who only needs them once a week or less frequently, the less expensive models I referenced will still be robust enough to last a few years. I know this from personal experience.

There is of course nothing wrong with the highest and best even if you don't "need" it, but when you can get 4+ of a similar item for the same price as 1, it's worth asking yourself if you really need it.

kenji776

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenji776

Great, thanks!

adrian1205 wrote:Yes it will, it uses the 025 connector 2.5 mm pin.

Altaris

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Altaris

This is a silly question, but do any of these work for the PC as well?

rdzek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rdzek

Does anyone have a suggestion for which app this would work best with? There are several PTT apps available, but some are definitely better than others.