azdarkknight


quality posts: 5 Private Messages azdarkknight

Does anyone know how replaceable the HP PSU is? I had heard they used non standard ones, I have a spare higher wattage one here anyway so it wouldnt be a cost to me to upgrade that and the HD 7850 I have sat here waiting for a home.

wyreless


quality posts: 3 Private Messages wyreless

I am very surprised that no one has mentioned the 90 Day Warranty from HP. That does scare me. 90 Days is weak, especially with a machibe with these specs. I am spoiled by my Lenovo's always having 3 years (I make sure I get the 3 yr version when I buy desktops or ThuinkPads). You can always get the Square Trade 1 yr Warranty for another $68.99 but that increases cost and offsets the great deal a tad. Im on the fence of this one as well. Man I hate "thinking"!!

I may have to wait for something "new" with at least a 1 Yr Manufacturers Warranty. Preferably 3 years, I do keep my machines at least 2 years and quite often 3. I know hard to believe right?!!

"Living For The DEAL!!"

gutcheck


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gutcheck

I had to bite on this. Around 2007 I got a gateway 831gm which was a lot like this in value,

MarkSJohnson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MarkSJohnson

My business computer had a major crash the other day. I recovered, but want to replace it. It looks like this is a good option if I can figure out the Win7 v. Win8 thing. It SEEMS like later Win8 versions were liked better than the initial release, but there's SO much info out there to wade though, I'm afraid this deal will be gone by time I figure out if Win8 is "now OK"!

Trotter1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Trotter1

This looks like a good deal. Its the lowest price I've seen and I've been checking this and other similar class PCs for a while mow.

I built my last two computers and usually have them in service for 5+ years. I don't really have time for that now. I've always been an Intel but I'm willimg to give AMD a try. I like the low 95 watt power consumption of this processor.

I'm not a gamer, mostly just light video and photo editing. Hopefully this will last 5+ years.

dfunkmaster


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dfunkmaster

For those that missed the sale, newegg has a decent shell shocker going on for about 40 more minutes:

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-1325984-_-05282013_1

Umphreak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Umphreak

I picked this up. The last refurb HP I snagged for my parents 6 months ago was better than expected, and the specs fell below these. I don't know that I'd snag for a high end gaming rig, but for what I'm after as a presentation machine with audio recording / manipulation functions, this seems like it can't miss.

jiaquanliu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jiaquanliu

I think you had a good deal,too. your CPU is I5 that absolutly higher than AMD A6 ,but video card is lowly. If you just want to play games, this one is better.

esy1219 wrote:I purchased the hp h8 1430 a few days ago (still not shipped). I was wondering if this was the better buy. The main differences are the processor and video card.

Ordered was : Intel core i5 quad core with nvidea gt620.

This one is : AMD 6 core with radeon 7570.

I don't know how much difference there would be in terms of performance but this one is 70 cheaper so...



k2wananb


quality posts: 12 Private Messages k2wananb
jiaquanliu wrote:I think you had a good deal,too. your CPU is I5 that absolutly higher than AMD A6 ,but video card is lowly. If you just want to play games, this one is better.



From what I've seen, the two processors perform about the same on benchmarks. Also, as games utilize more cores, the AMD will probably end up performing better overall.

AerodexdotCom


quality posts: 4 Private Messages AerodexdotCom
MarkSJohnson wrote:My business computer had a major crash the other day. I recovered, but want to replace it. It looks like this is a good option if I can figure out the Win7 v. Win8 thing. It SEEMS like later Win8 versions were liked better than the initial release, but there's SO much info out there to wade though, I'm afraid this deal will be gone by time I figure out if Win8 is "now OK"!

Do what I am going to do with mine, install a free program called "Classic Shell". I have it on 3 win7 machines, and its also written for Win 8 and Vista.

Classic Shell brings the functions under a Shell that looks very much like Windows XP. I no longer have to look high and low for functions/items/options, instead they are mostly where i would expect them to be in Windows XP.

A

greenmonkey125


quality posts: 10 Private Messages greenmonkey125

Delivered today (within 36 hours of ordering). Fastest Woot(!) delivery ever!

Can't wait to hook it up and give it a shot!

Edit: Works great; My first PC since 2006 (It's a big step from Windows XP to 8)!

Just FYI: Though you're all probably a bit more intelligent than me, I thought I would share an epiphany in case anyone hit a roadblock trying to find the card reader. To access the card reader and USB slots on the front of the case, you have to SLIDE down the panel below the disc drive. It took me far longer to figure this out than it should have.

Trotter1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Trotter1

I got mine on, 5/29 as well. Super fast here in NJ. Looks brand new and started up just fine. I opened mine up and noticed that the SSD is not Intel like in HP's official spec sheet (you can get online). Its a Sandisk U100 series 16GB

I have a Sandisk caching SSD in another desktop and it works great. However in this new HP I can't tell of its actually setup to act as a caching drive. It seems like its not. I can't seem to find anything online or on the PC about it.

Anyone else figure this out?

greenmonkey125


quality posts: 10 Private Messages greenmonkey125
Trotter1 wrote:I got mine on, 5/29 as well. Super fast here in NJ. Looks brand new and started up just fine. I opened mine up and noticed that the SSD is not Intel like in HP's official spec sheet (you can get online). Its a Sandisk U100 series 16GB

I have a Sandisk caching SSD in another desktop and it works great. However in this new HP I can't tell of its actually setup to act as a caching drive. It seems like its not. I can't seem to find anything online or on the PC about it.

Anyone else figure this out?



I had the same question too. It didn't seem like it was actually set up to do anything (i.e., nothing was written on the drive after a day)... so I enabled "ReadyBoost" for the entire drive space. Not being familiar with Windows 8, I'm not sure if this is the same caching idea as what was described or not.

... Regardless, this is a great computer!

Trotter1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Trotter1
greenmonkey125 wrote:I had the same question too. It didn't seem like it was actually set up to do anything (i.e., nothing was written on the drive after a day)... so I enabled "ReadyBoost" for the entire drive space. Not being familiar with Windows 8, I'm not sure if this is the same caching idea as what was described or not.

... Regardless, this is a great computer!



I saw that readyboost was an option but didn't try it. My other Sandisk caching drive had software that came with it (ExpressCache) software. I will see if I can download from Sandisk and get it to work. It should be configured right out of the box.

Trotter1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Trotter1
Trotter1 wrote:I saw that readyboost was an option but didn't try it. My other Sandisk caching drive had software that came with it (ExpressCache) software. I will see if I can download from Sandisk and get it to work. It should be configured right out of the box.



Well I tried to install express cahce but it didn't work. It said there was no compatible device installed.

I decided to give the windows ready boost a shot on the ssd. Before doing so I partioned 2GB of it for a page file and used the rest for ready boost. I have to say that after rebooting a second time the boot was noticeably faster. It seems to work.