zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

alphabasic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages alphabasic

This is me every time one of these machines appears here:
"YES! ....oh...AMD."

k2wananb

quality posts: 11 Private Messages k2wananb

Hopefully no one bought one of these when they were $679 the other day...

I have one of these with the same GPU, but with the FX 6200. I only casually play PC games, but I couldn't be happier with this. The GPU isn't great if you are a hardcore gamer, or feel like you *have* to max out settings on everything, but this is quite a bit of bang for your buck for the casual gamer.

Really good deal here. About $250 off the best price I've seen for it.

lichme

quality posts: 2734 Private Messages lichme

phileoca

quality posts: 10 Private Messages phileoca

The tech section should offer windows 8 Pro. Give us nerds some domain!

My wife woots too

cjsutherland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
lichme wrote:Product Page

Great deal. Period.

Power supply isn't very "high" so upgrading the GPU would require a little research on watts needed...but overall, a very solid deal.

VERY solid.

beefmalone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beefmalone

how much crappier is this one than the one from a couple weeks back at the same price with better stats?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-57584163-58/get-a-six-core-hp-desktop-for-$469.99/

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3290 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

A handful of very good reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) over at amazon

cjsutherland

...oh, and I wonder how many "Windows 8...no thanks" post we will see on this one.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3290 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

handful of OK reviews (3.0 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

k2wananb

beefmalone wrote:how much crappier is this one than the one from a couple weeks back at the same price with better stats?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-57584163-58/get-a-six-core-hp-desktop-for-$469.99/

That one came with the AMD FX 6200 (6-core, 3.8 ghz). This one comes with the AMD FX 6120 (6-core, 3.5 ghz). Same GPU. But, this one does come with a larger HDD (2TB vs. 1.5TB), and comes with a 16GB solid state drive for caching.

lichme

quality posts: 2734 Private Messages lichme

Item: HP Six-Core Desktop w/10GB RAM & 2TB HD
Price: $449.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Refurbished

Search Amazon Search Google

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

BIGsinner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages BIGsinner

So this is the new Cylon model...

flipsidezw

quality posts: 2 Private Messages flipsidezw

In case this comes up again, the memory is divided into two 4 GB sticks, and one 2 GB stick, leaving one memory slot free.

dale380

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dale380

Slightly off topic, but I have a $400 American Express gift card. Can I use that for this purchase, even though it's $50 short? Will Woot know to deduct the gift card and charge the rest on my credit? Or flat out reject it?

Thanks.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

dale380 wrote:Slightly off topic, but I have a $400 American Express gift card. Can I use that for this purchase, even though it's $50 short? Will Woot know to deduct the gift card and charge the rest on my credit? Or flat out reject it?

Thanks.

We can't accept partial payments, BUT you could use PayPal and credit your PayPal account with two different forms of payment.

TATTRAT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TATTRAT

http://tech.woot.com/offers/hp-envy-six-core-desktop-w-10gb-ram

TATTRAT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TATTRAT
k2wananb wrote:Hopefully no one bought one of these when they were $679 the other day...

$479, not $679.

k2wananb

TATTRAT wrote:$479, not $679.

No, they had several Envy's for $679 for a Woot Plus "deal" this past week.
http://tech.woot.com/plus/hp-desktops-1

jamesclaflin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesclaflin

I don't mean to be super off topic here, but what is the point of the 16 Gigabyte solid state drive? Is that where the operating system lies or something? sorry, I am not very tech savvy.

k2wananb

jamesclaflin wrote:I don't mean to be super off topic here, but what is the point of the 16 Gigabyte solid state drive? Is that where the operating system lies or something? sorry, I am not very tech savvy.

Basically it stores regularly accessed programs and files in a cache on the SSD (sort of like how you have a cache on an internet browser, storing information from regularly visited websites so it doesn't have to fetch that information from the web every time you visit), allowing for *much* faster access. Programs and games cached on the SSD will boot almost instantly, with little/no load time. This one is small, but it's better than nothing.

SpritlE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpritlE

I've been pricing out a computer to build and this seems to be better for the money than what I've come up with. I'm still on the fence though...

k2wananb

SpritlE wrote:I've been pricing out a computer to build and this seems to be better for the money than what I've come up with. I'm still on the fence though...

You get a lot of bang for you buck here, but be aware of what you are buying. This machine won't be able to max out the settings on higher end games. The 7570 has 2GB of the slower GDDR3 memory. If you game casually, and are satisfied with high settings on lower end games, and medium settings on high end games, then this is a *great* deal. If you are wanting to be able to max out the settings on any game, then you'll want to pass.

SpritlE

k2wananb wrote:You get a lot of bang for you buck here, but be aware of what you are buying. This machine won't be able to max out the settings on higher end games. The 7570 has 2GB of the slower GDDR3 memory. If you game casually, and are satisfied with high settings on lower end games, and medium settings on high end games, then this is a *great* deal.

Yeah, I do a little gaming, I'm sure anything is better than my onboard radeon mobility in my laptop and it runs skyrim on pretty high settings. The computer I was thinking about building I went with the 7770 which benchmarks around twice as high as this one's and 6x my laptop's.

kuma99

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99
alphabasic wrote:This is me every time one of these machines appears here:
"YES! ....oh...AMD."

+100

eq5150

quality posts: 6 Private Messages eq5150

a 1gb radeon hd 7770 would make this work for high end gaming. It's a $120 card. I don't know why they would build or refurbish this with such a Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk! video card when a MUCH nicer one would have made this a best seller at very little extra cost.

k2wananb

eq5150 wrote:a 1gb radeon hd 7770 would make this work for high end gaming. It's a $120 card. I don't know why they would build or refurbish this with such a Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk! video card when a MUCH nicer one would have made this a best seller at very little extra cost.

They'd have to upgrade the power supply, too.

esy1219

quality posts: 1 Private Messages esy1219

I purchased the hp h8 1430 a few days ago (still not shipped). I was wondering if this was the better buy. The main differences are the processor and video card.

Ordered was : Intel core i5 quad core with nvidea gt620.

This one is : AMD 6 core with radeon 7570.

I don't know how much difference there would be in terms of performance but this one is 70 cheaper so...

SpritlE

esy1219 wrote:I purchased the hp h8 1430 a few days ago (still not shipped). I was wondering if this was the better buy. The main differences are the processor and video card.

I don't know how much difference there would be in terms of performance but this one is 70 cheaper so...

Just going off benchmarks the 7570 is the better video card, I'm not sure about the processor though

k2wananb

esy1219 wrote:I purchased the hp h8 1430 a few days ago (still not shipped). I was wondering if this was the better buy. The main differences are the processor and video card.

The processors perform about the same on benchmarks. As far as GPUs, the Radeon HD 7570 offers twice as much memory as the GeForce GT620 (though they both run the slower GDDR3). They both have 10GB of RAM, and 2TB HDDs, but this one comes with a 16GB SSD cache.

Overall, this is a better unit, and cheaper to boot.

cjsutherland

What intel core i5 did you get?

k2wananb

cjsutherland wrote:What intel core i5 did you get?

Assuming he bought one from the Woot Plus sale, it would have been the i5-3350P

disposed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages disposed
eq5150 wrote:a 1gb radeon hd 7770 would make this work for high end gaming. It's a $120 card. I don't know why they would build or refurbish this with such a Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk! video card when a MUCH nicer one would have made this a best seller at very little extra cost.

A 1GB 7770 is not even remotely good for high end gaming. Thats a casual mainstream card that will play current games anywhere between low-medium.

The 7570 on the other hand costs practically nothing (Realistically in the $20 area for OEMs at most). So you are looking at a significant jump in cost.

You want to complain about something complain about that garbage six core AMD processor that gets stomped on by quad cores from 2 generations before it.

Stuzor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stuzor

Is this thing proprietary at all? Can I take the guts of this machine out and swap in another atx board? And put this atx board in another case?

I recently cannibalized my gaming pc and turned it into a nas. This seems to have most of the specs I need at a good price. Thinking I could swap cases (other case has a lot of hd bays).

cjsutherland

disposed wrote:A 1GB 7770 is not even remotely good for high end gaming. Thats a casual mainstream card that will play current games anywhere between low-medium.

The 7570 on the other hand costs practically nothing (Realistically in the $20 area for OEMs at most). So you are looking at a significant jump in cost.

You want to complain about something complain about that garbage six core AMD processor that gets stomped on by quad cores from 2 generations before it.

Yeah 7770 is good for what I would call "medium" gaming. It can run Starcraft II and games like it on high settings...but your more GPU intensive games will need a better card.

That 6 core proecessor has "underwhemled" in testing. I do wonder if it will be like the older Athlon x64 quad core though. "Underwhelmed" back when games only used 1-2 cores. Saw a rather high rise in efficiency per dollar when games went to more cores...Since almost no games use 6 cores, it doesn't maximize the potential (especially at that price).

For example..that FX 8350 underperforms...but is right there when dealing with the new Crysis. Why? That games utilizes quite a few cores.

Just a thought.

k2wananb

cjsutherland wrote:Yeah 7770 is good for what I would call "medium" gaming. It can run Starcraft II and games like it on high settings...but your more GPU intensive games will need a better card.

That 6 core proecessor has "underwhemled" in testing. I do wonder if it will be like the older Athlon x64 quad core though. "Underwhelmed" back when games only used 1-2 cores. Saw a rather high rise in efficiency per dollar when games went to more cores...Since almost no games use 6 cores, it doesn't maximize the potential (especially at that price).

For example..that FX 8350 underperforms...but is right there when dealing with the new Crysis. Why? That games utilizes quite a few cores.

Just a thought.

Bingo

cjsutherland

Stuzor wrote:Is this thing proprietary at all? Can I take the guts of this machine out and swap in another atx board? And put this atx board in another case?

I recently cannibalized my gaming pc and turned it into a nas. This seems to have most of the specs I need at a good price. Thinking I could swap cases (other case has a lot of hd bays).

As long as that motherboard is AM3+ socket (for this CPU) you can do what you want.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are asking.

ericbarber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericbarber

How well would this machine work for video editing?

cjsutherland

ericbarber wrote:How well would this machine work for video editing?

If you don't mind me asking...how intensive are we talking with this video editing?