0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3016 Private Messages lichme

I have a very similar laptop that I got from woot in a Besser or Curly (Also a Pavilion G Series). It has done more than I ever expected it to do. It doesn't quite have as much power behind it as the one woot is selling, and yet it still runs everything I have thrown at it. Exceeded my expectations.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3658 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Everything you ever want to know, straight from hp.com

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100

I am so confused... As luck would have it, all THREE of my computers died this month and I've been struggling by on an Android tablet, the Asus Prime (quad core 1.2 ghz, 32 gb). The novelty was fun for a few hours, but there's nothing like a real laptop or desktop for computing. But I'm confused by the myriad of choices our there! I nearly bought an i7 laptop for $499 but missed the deal. Then I almost bought the Toshiba Woot had yesterday, which was discounted $30 mid-Woot. Now I'm debating between this HP and the below quad core HP for $349 (free s/h, no tax). The below has a better CPU (quad core) and is cheaper, especially since Woot charges shipping and tax. But this hdd is 2x larger and has 2 gb more memory. Ah, what to do?

http://1saleaday.com/main/

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100

I'm proud of my 410 quality posts but lichme and conanthelibrarian, who posted above me, are both in another league, with 500+ Quality Posts. I think this may be the first time where the first three posters total more than 1500 Quality Posts. Good job, guys!

vlad19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vlad19

Good notebook!

http://patent.ucoz.ru

toniob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages toniob

All of these great laptops - but I can not touch them! I run a lot of DOS software, and need 32-bit and this is probably 64 bit. I could use DOS-Box, but then can't paste back-and-forth between DOS and Windows files.

So I've been buying up old laptops, all 32-bit, XP and Windows 7. I don't know how Windows 8 would work with DOS programs.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
sdc100 wrote:Now I'm debating between this HP and the below quad core HP for $349 (free s/h, no tax). The below has a better CPU (quad core) and is cheaper, especially since Woot charges shipping and tax. But this hdd is 2x larger and has 2 gb more memory. Ah, what to do?

Tough call between those two. For someone who tends to upgrade things, the RAM and hard drive are easier to upgrade later than the CPU, so getting a faster CPU to start with is a plus, especially since the A6 is a little under-powered imho (depending what one wants to do with it of course).

My MIL has an AMD-based DV7 from Woot that was relatively inexpensive but has been holding up well. It has a metal top lid skin and top deck though, whereas these G7 models look more like an all-plastic exterior. I'd imagine that combined with the large form-factor could result in more screen/hinge flex if that bothers you (although I haven't had my hands on one of these G7s so that's partly speculation).
If it will mostly sit on a desk, which is often the case with 17-inchers, I guess it may not matter much, but otherwise I might be inclined to pay a bit more for something that appears sturdier, like one of the DV series models that was on Woot plus recently, or even better, one of EliteBooks they were selling a few months ago.
These do at least have nicer screens than that Toshiba's 1366x768 resolution though. Screens like that drive me nuts; not enough vertical pixels. These are better at 1600x900.

rehenley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rehenley
sdc100 wrote:I am so confused... As luck would have it, all THREE of my computers died this month and I've been struggling by on an Android tablet, the Asus Prime (quad core 1.2 ghz, 32 gb). The novelty was fun for a few hours, but there's nothing like a real laptop or desktop for computing. But I'm confused by the myriad of choices our there! I nearly bought an i7 laptop for $499 but missed the deal. Then I almost bought the Toshiba Woot had yesterday, which was discounted $30 mid-Woot. Now I'm debating between this HP and the below quad core HP for $349 (free s/h, no tax). The below has a better CPU (quad core) and is cheaper, especially since Woot charges shipping and tax. But this hdd is 2x larger and has 2 gb more memory. Ah, what to do?

Hopefully, this will help your decision:

1. Better APU (means better CPU and GPU) -- Faster and better graphics. This is the most expensive single part in the laptop. Not easily upgraded.
2. Cost of extra RAM and larger hard drive will be cheaper than a better APU (assuming the laptop APU can be upgraded).
3. Put the money you save into an SSD and place the hard drive in an external housing.

My two cents.

Jaczun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jaczun

I was about to purchase a Lenovo Z585 last night for soon to be college freshman. Saw this this morning.

I'm very tempted but cannot find warranty and/or return info.

Also, I don't see it so assume not included: Bluetooth connectivity.

Anyone?

fantasm25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fantasm25

Warranty: 90 Day HP

Authorized for SquareTrade Extended Warranty

The extended warranty is for one year @ 59.95

I'm very tempted but cannot find warranty and/or return info.

Also, I don't see it so assume not included: Bluetooth connectivity.

Anyone?[/quote]

K2112S

quality posts: 0 Private Messages K2112S

Anyone know if this has a 2nd hdd bay? I would want to add a ssd boot drive. I can't find anything on HP other than the diagnostic tool examples they use which mention a 2nd hard drive, but they could be using a different computer as an example. Also does it come with the windows restore disc since I would need to re-install windows

circusninja

quality posts: 9 Private Messages circusninja

You lost me at Windows 8

defibrillator

quality posts: 18 Private Messages defibrillator

How well this would work as a gaming computer? For gaming on the go?

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt
K2112S wrote:Anyone know if this has a 2nd hdd bay? I would want to add a ssd boot drive. I can't find anything on HP other than the diagnostic tool examples they use which mention a 2nd hard drive, but they could be using a different computer as an example. Also does it come with the windows restore disc since I would need to re-install windows

Here is a link to a thread on one of HPs forums where the OP says the HP Pavilion G7 does NOT have an extra hard drive bay like (s)he expected. It isn't a perfect source of info, but the OP seems pretty sure. A quick google for "HP Pavilion G7 hard drive caddy" yields a couple of places that sell something to replace the optical drive with a hard drive, but I won't link them here since I'm not sure about them.

aeneasvt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aeneasvt
circusninja wrote:You lost me at Windows 8

Ditto. Was very pleased to snap up a Win7 laptop from the "Tons of HP Computers" sale last week.

Also, not nearly as technical a questions as everyone else seems to be asking, but what's the deal with track pads moving to the left side of the computer these days? If anything, I'd think it should move to the right. Why do they do this?

gandalas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gandalas
defibrillator wrote:How well this would work as a gaming computer? For gaming on the go?

defibrillator wrote:How well this would work as a gaming computer? For gaming on the go?

The GPU will be the limiting factor.

For lessor games such as the Sims, Minecraft, or WoW on low settings, it will be fine. But for anything even remotely demanding, it will not do well at all.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7520G.71728.0.html

perpetuallyfrozen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages perpetuallyfrozen

How does this compare to the Toshiba posted a couple days ago (for the same price), in terms of power?

http://www.woot.com/offers/toshiba-15-6-quad-core-laptop

I will mostly be using it for development, but also the occasional gaming. The Toshiba seems like a much better fit for me, even though the resolution is kind of poor.

K2112S

quality posts: 0 Private Messages K2112S
elangomatt wrote:Here is a link to a thread on one of HPs forums where the OP says the HP Pavilion G7 does NOT have an extra hard drive bay like (s)he expected. It isn't a perfect source of info, but the OP seems pretty sure. A quick google for "HP Pavilion G7 hard drive caddy" yields a couple of places that sell something to replace the optical drive with a hard drive, but I won't link them here since I'm not sure about them.

Thank You!!

ebruppel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ebruppel
aeneasvt wrote:Ditto. Was very pleased to snap up a Win7 laptop from the "Tons of HP Computers" sale last week.

Also, not nearly as technical a questions as everyone else seems to be asking, but what's the deal with track pads moving to the left side of the computer these days? If anything, I'd think it should move to the right. Why do they do this?

The track pad is centered on the qwerty portion of the keyboard. The presence of the number pad on the right causes the left offset of the trackpad.

cdogg777

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cdogg777
aeneasvt wrote:

The touchpad is to be centered with the keyboard. I think the question is why laptops seem to be incorporating the NUM pad more and more. Since it's on the right, it pushes the touchpad to the left to remain centered with the kb.

I was debating this laptop as well. But the CPU and Win8 are deal breakers. Anything less than quadcore isn't really worth it anymore. And nobody wants Windows8 unless they have a MS Tablet.

marquis1photo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages marquis1photo

Just got one of the 17in HPs last week. With Win 8. Takes some time to get used to but it ok. The computer itself is nice. Good looking screen and battery last long enough. I did have to had 4Gb of more ram but it runs PS and Lightroom just fine.

This is a good deal. Only thing I wish it had was ability for more ram (16Gb) and a light up keyboard.

Buckycubes and misc kids.woots.
I love woot-offs

nathanielfoster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathanielfoster

It depends on what kinds of games you want to play. This rig would be fine for flash games and facebook games. It would probably be okay for games that are 8-10 years old. If you're looking to play any kind of modern game you are going to need to shell out a lot more money. Gaming on a laptop can be really expensive. The CPU in this thing scores almost half of what a comparable i3 processor can do, and the graphics are just pitiful. Hope this helps!

louisgrady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages louisgrady
elangomatt wrote:Here is a link to a thread on one of HPs forums where the OP says the HP Pavilion G7 does NOT have an extra hard drive bay like (s)he expected. It isn't a perfect source of info, but the OP seems pretty sure. A quick google for "HP Pavilion G7 hard drive caddy" yields a couple of places that sell something to replace the optical drive with a hard drive, but I won't link them here since I'm not sure about them.

I have many mid level laptops, which I have to take apart fairly frequently, and I have never seen space for a second hard drive on the HP models I have, while my Dell laptop does have space and setup for a second hard drive. However, the HP's have held up better than the Dell, which had hardware problems at the end of two years.

kmartind

louisgrady wrote:I have many mid level laptops, which I have to take apart fairly frequently, and I have never seen space for a second hard drive on the HP models I have, while my Dell laptop does have space and setup for a second hard drive. However, the HP's have held up better than the Dell, which had hardware problems at the end of two years.

I believe that's correct for these G7 models. They are a lower-end line than the DV series and lack that feature.

In contrast, I know the fairly recent models of the DV7 (or M7) line do have a second hard drive bay, and the extra caddy/cable needed to install a second drive are fairly easy to find as long as you're careful to get the correct one for the particular model number since it varies between the models from different years. We moved the HD in my MIL's DV7 to the second bay and installed an SSD for the OS. That made the system really fast and responsive for typical daily use. I also set up the SSD to back up to the hard drive weekly and create a system image in case the SSD fails or wears out some day. That won't help if the whole system is lost or stolen though so it's still a good idea to have backups of important documents/photos/files on an external device or online service.

For this system, as mentioned by a previous poster, you might be able to get a different type of caddy to allow replacing the optical drive with a second hard drive, but of course then you don't have a DVD drive, so it's one or the other.

CONNIE1150

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CONNIE1150

I have the last one they put on here a few weeks ago and I would be willing to sell it to anyone who wants one. Just let me know Thanks!

CONNIE SEABAUGH

arb3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arb3

Seems like a good deal.... But I am afraid, very afraid. Bought a nice HP laptop not long ago (don't remember model/specs at the moment) that is the single most annoying computer I've ever owned, and that's saying something. When you type the cursor jumps randomly around the screen, making it basically impossible to type. I may end up hooking up a keyboard, but that's a pain with a laptop, not very ergonomic. Or may get a new one and give in to the temptation to throw this one to the ground and stomp on it repeatedly. Anyone know if this is a flaw that tends to occur with HP laptops?

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
toniob wrote:All of these great laptops - but I can not touch them! I run a lot of DOS software, and need 32-bit and this is probably 64 bit. I could use DOS-Box, but then can't paste back-and-forth between DOS and Windows files.

So I've been buying up old laptops, all 32-bit, XP and Windows 7. I don't know how Windows 8 would work with DOS programs.

WHAT are you running?

I thought I had the oldie award for running Infor Select for Windows 3.1 on my Windows 7 machine.

(BTW, my first commercial product was a cassette tutorial, "The DOS Tape" that explain a lot of commands and file management.

Did 3 editions and one for IBM. The Natioal Braille Press even converted the reference card into Braille.)

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
arb3 wrote:Seems like a good deal.... But I am afraid, very afraid. Bought a nice HP laptop not long ago (don't remember model/specs at the moment) that is the single most annoying computer I've ever owned, and that's saying something. When you type the cursor jumps randomly around the screen, making it basically impossible to type. I may end up hooking up a keyboard, but that's a pain with a laptop, not very ergonomic. Or may get a new one and give in to the temptation to throw this one to the ground and stomp on it repeatedly. Anyone know if this is a flaw that tends to occur with HP laptops?

Is you hand or palm or whatever resting on the trackpad?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

GradonSilverton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GradonSilverton

Woot says 17.3“... HP spec link says 15.6"... Somebody is telling a fib...

arb3

radi0j0hn wrote:Is you hand or palm or whatever resting on the trackpad?

Nope. Not touching the (**$#!@ thing anywhere but the keys.

kmartind

arb3 wrote:Nope. Not touching the (**$#!@ thing anywhere but the keys.

It could still be the trackpad driver (or even something like a buildup of static electricity, etc). Many laptops from different manufacturers use similar trackpads manufactured by Synaptics and there is often an updated driver and utility to manage the settings for sensitivity and "palm check" etc, that can be helpful. There is also sometimes an updated driver available from the computer manufacturer or through Windows Update. Updating that and also playing with the settings may help.

If it only started doing it after working fine initially then you could also try a hardware reset, by shutting down Windows and powering off the laptop, then unplugging the AC adapter, and finally, taking out the battery. Then hold down the power button for several seconds and release it (it will look like nothing happened, but it does clear up some types of problems).
Then put the battery back in, connect the AC adapter, and start the computer back up to see if the problem might have changed or gone away.

In addition, some laptops have a small button near the trackpad that disables it. That comes in handy when doing a lot of typing, or if using a wireless mouse rather than the trackpad anyway.

arb3

kmartind wrote:It could still be the trackpad driver (or even something like a buildup of static electricity, etc). Many laptops from different manufacturers use similar trackpads manufactured by Synaptics and there is often an updated driver and utility to manage the settings for sensitivity and "palm check" etc, that can be helpful. There is also sometimes an updated driver available from the computer manufacturer or through Windows Update. Updating that and also playing with the settings may help.

If it only started doing it after working fine initially then you could also try a hardware reset, by shutting down Windows and powering off the laptop, then unplugging the AC adapter, and finally, taking out the battery. Then hold down the power button for several seconds and release it (it will look like nothing happened, but it does clear up some types of problems).
Then put the battery back in, connect the AC adapter, and start the computer back up to see if the problem might have changed or gone away.

In addition, some laptops have a small button near the trackpad that disables it. That comes in handy when doing a lot of typing, or if using a wireless mouse rather than the trackpad anyway.

Thanks, kmartind. I'll try all those things, and put off the repeated stomping for now. ;)

pauldownsouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pauldownsouth
circusninja wrote:You lost me at Windows 8

Yup. Win8=auto no thanks.

mrtuba9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrtuba9
kmartind wrote:Tough call between those two. For someone who tends to upgrade things, the RAM and hard drive are easier to upgrade later than the CPU, so getting a faster CPU to start with is a plus, especially since the A6 is a little under-powered imho (depending what one wants to do with it of course).

My MIL has an AMD-based DV7 from Woot that was relatively inexpensive but has been holding up well. It has a metal top lid skin and top deck though, whereas these G7 models look more like an all-plastic exterior. I'd imagine that combined with the large form-factor could result in more screen/hinge flex if that bothers you (although I haven't had my hands on one of these G7s so that's partly speculation).
If it will mostly sit on a desk, which is often the case with 17-inchers, I guess it may not matter much, but otherwise I might be inclined to pay a bit more for something that appears sturdier, like one of the DV series models that was on Woot plus recently, or even better, one of EliteBooks they were selling a few months ago.
These do at least have nicer screens than that Toshiba's 1366x768 resolution though. Screens like that drive me nuts; not enough vertical pixels. These are better at 1600x900.

I can attest to flexibility issues with big plastic 17's...I've replaced the screen on a similar Dell, and when I bought Lenovo with a metal lid, I said I'd not go back, but alas, I did and I'm in for 1.

Oh mrstuba, how will I tell thee...

60 woots, 102 items, 34x1, 7x2, 18x3 (3x3 ßÕÇ-now retired), 9 unique shirt.woot, 1 sellout.woot <--OUTDATED (except the martini ;')

zecookiepuss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zecookiepuss

Do you know if the memory for the link posted below is upgradable or has a max? I can't find that in the product info anywhere.

sdc100 wrote:I am so confused... As luck would have it, all THREE of my computers died this month and I've been struggling by on an Android tablet, the Asus Prime (quad core 1.2 ghz, 32 gb). The novelty was fun for a few hours, but there's nothing like a real laptop or desktop for computing. But I'm confused by the myriad of choices our there! I nearly bought an i7 laptop for $499 but missed the deal. Then I almost bought the Toshiba Woot had yesterday, which was discounted $30 mid-Woot. Now I'm debating between this HP and the below quad core HP for $349 (free s/h, no tax). The below has a better CPU (quad core) and is cheaper, especially since Woot charges shipping and tax. But this hdd is 2x larger and has 2 gb more memory. Ah, what to do?

danlecompte

quality posts: 2 Private Messages danlecompte
zecookiepuss wrote:Do you know if the memory for the link posted below is upgradable or has a max? I can't find that in the product info anywhere.

If you're talking about the G7-2269WM from 1sale, Crucial says it's 8GB (2 x 4GB). Like others posted, it seems like it would be a better bet to upgrade to 8 gigs of ram on that computer than trying to upgrade the CPU/GPU on this one. I'm no computer expert though.

rogerlairy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rogerlairy

there is a reason it is cheap
benchmark tests =
AMD A6-4400M APU 1623 769.
It ranks below an Intel Core i3-2365M @ 1.40GHz 1,709

angsaysrawr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angsaysrawr

It's not 17.3" it's 15.6". I e-mailed Woot and asked them about it and told them if it was in fact a 15.6" laptop to cancel my order. My order has been canceled.

jman29414

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jman29414

Bought this for my daughter, but I can not find out if it included even a trial version of MS Word. She needs this for her work. I am out of the USA at this time and want to find out if this is included or what is the best way to get it installed if not included. Also what MS Word version is best at this time?