WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Cameras & Accessories

Everyone remembers Louis Daguerre and his pioneering 1836 camera, but nobody stops to think of the accessories. If it weren't for his equally important deluxe tri-monopod, LED lighting, and wireless memory cards, modern photography may never have come to exist. Celebrate your photographic heritage with these great cameras and accessories.

lkarmaz15

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkarmaz15

I'm going on vacation and need a decent camera. Which one will best showcase my beach bod on Facebook?

sflesch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sflesch
lkarmaz15 wrote:I'm going on vacation and need a decent camera. Which one will best showcase my beach bod on Facebook?

I've written a few times about this Kodak camera and this one overall is a great point-and-shoot.

Why is it that everytime I click I want one", Woot makes me buy it? Don't they ever just want to know that, "Yes, I want one?" http://www.sflesch.com

feliphilia

quality posts: 6 Private Messages feliphilia

The Samsung WB100 with the zoom lens is $200 new on Amazon (prime eligible) so this seems like a great deal and I'm in for 1. Reviews are mostly good (10/13 4- or 5-star; a couple of lower ones sound more like user issues). I have one of the Kodaks from a previous Woot and it's a great compact point-and-shoot, but I think it would be a lot of fun to have the zoom capability. I expect I'll use them both on different occasions.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-WB100-Smart-Digital-Camera/dp/B008XM5R9G/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369148632&sr=1-4&keywords=samsung+camera+26x+zoom

timthetortoise

quality posts: 4 Private Messages timthetortoise
lkarmaz15 wrote:I'm going on vacation and need a decent camera. Which one will best showcase my beach bod on Facebook?

I've heard real good things about Pentax cameras.

ronnieboy9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ronnieboy9

HI, Did you ever buy anything refurbished from woot? This doesn't look like a manufacturers refurbished. Because you get the woot 90 day warranty not one from samsung. and there's nowhere I could find on the site with the actual condition of the camera. Doesn't that make you a Little nervous?

ronnieboy9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ronnieboy9

And does anyone know if this comes in the original box or a brown refurbished box or no box at all?
Thanks.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

ronnieboy9 wrote:HI, Did you ever buy anything refurbished from woot? This doesn't look like a manufacturers refurbished. Because you get the woot 90 day warranty not one from samsung. and there's nowhere I could find on the site with the actual condition of the camera. Doesn't that make you a Little nervous?

which Samsung camera are you looking at?

don't be nervous. we strive to provide the best - refurbed or new. and if you ever have a problem with an item, you can always email Support@Woot.com and we'll work to make it right. we like happy customers.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

aoikiretsu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aoikiretsu

I'm really interested in the Nikon Coolpix S9300. I've been keeping an eye on the S9200 on Amazon, and seeing that the main difference is that the 9300 has gps, should I go for it? The top reviews I read on Amazon are kind of discouraging though. There's even review from a woot user who wasn't too happy with it. The video test shots I've seen are pretty good though. Hope some other S9300 users will reply! Thank you!

trlovejoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trlovejoy
PemberDucky wrote:which Samsung camera are you looking at?

don't be nervous. we strive to provide the best - refurbed or new. and if you ever have a problem with an item, you can always email Support@Woot.com and we'll work to make it right. we like happy customers.

I've bought plenty of refurbs from Woot and others, and never have any problems with them. Also, note that we can now use the actual R word in the forums...

----------
I woot, therefore I woot.

stupido

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stupido

The Pentax Q is a very nice camera. I have the kit with the zoom and love it. The dual lens kit here is more expensive but you get a nice zoom and a great prime lens.

blackcentury

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blackcentury

If anyone's considering the refurbed Sony HDR-CX190, I've had one (refurbed) for about a year and a half and it's really, really great. It was the first generation with the Exmor-CMOS sensor and is the low-light, no-shake camera of my dreams. I use it for still shots (which I think are only 3 megapixels) because it lets in more light than my (older) Leica (Panasonic) point and shoot. Even zoomed in 25X, it's remarkably stable, even held in hand.

It's just a little smaller in diameter than a beer can, so I use a neoprene koozie as a case -- perfect and dirt cheap!

CruelMelody

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CruelMelody

I purchased the refurbished samsung with 10x optical zoom, and have been really impressed by the pictures so far. It came in the original packaging. I bought it for a trip to norway, and the zoomed pictures look awesome on the fjords.

shypunkgrrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shypunkgrrl
PemberDucky wrote:which Samsung camera are you looking at?

I just purchased the Samsung WB100 with the 26x zoom. Is that refurbished by Samsung or a random place?

Drizzt321

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Drizzt321

You can get the Sunpak at B&H right now for $30 (limited supply). All in all, if you buy 3, even if you pay the shipping for each one at B&H you'll still come out ahead of Woot. Reviews show these are decent enough for what they are, just don't expect miracles.

[MOD: Plus $3.99 shipping]

vagrant10

quality posts: 13 Private Messages vagrant10

I have both the Pentax Q and the Pentax K01. Out of the box, the autofocus for both was good in bright light, but not too sure footed in low light. There have been several firmware updates for both and now they focus well in all but the lowest of light.
Image quality wise, the k01 is better since it uses a much larger sensor. It is the same sensor found in the Nikon D7000, Sony Nex 5n, Pentax k30 and several other highly regarded cameras. This sensor in particular is known for having a wide dynamic range (useful for rescuing details out of dark areas and not blowing highlights like clouds) as well as being one of the best sensors for having low noise at high iso. The lenses in this kit are pretty good especially when used a little higher than their lowest apertures. The lenses themselves are worth $300 new so this is a pretty good deal.
That said, there are some limitations to this camera. The buffer is small so if you are shooting in RAW, expect to wait a bit between bracketed exposures (like 5-10 seconds). Autofocus, while faster than the vast majority of point and shoots, isn't quite up to DSLR levels. And the back screen does get difficult to view in bright sunlight without some assistance.

As for the Pentax Q. Just an awesome camera for what it is. It's super small and portable so I take it with me much more often than my DSLR's. Picture quality wise, it's really very good so long as you can keep iso lower than 1000. It's still way better at iso 1600 than my high end point and shoots, but nowhere near the quality of the k01. But it's a great concert camera - they will sometimes let you in with the Q where they would never allow a DSLR. The prime lens is awesome and can be sold on Pentax Forums for $175 ish. The 02 zoom lens has an effective zoom range of 28-82 in 35 mm terms which is a great walk around and indoor range. Focus after firmware 1.12 is really really good. Here are some photos I've taken with the Q:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55038128@N00/sets/72157631762031470/

Downsides to the Q - batteries are small - get some Wasabi batteries for $30 for 2 plus an extra charger. No lens hoods for the camera - get some aftermarkets.

Also, both cameras have focus peaking. If you do macros or studio work or like manual lenses (which both of them will take k mount or m42 mount - the Q needs an adapter), you'll very much appreciate focus peaking.

I could go on and on, but you've probably already quit reading...
Ask though, and I'll probably answer.

dog007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dog007

Not such a deal. B&H Photo has both the Eye-Fi 8 GB Pro, and the Sunpac 30 LED lights for less.

zoie679

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zoie679

I bought the Samsung NX1000 from woot and I LOVE it! The pictures are BEAUTIFUL and there's lots of cool settings and effects. My favorite part is the WiFi. Samsung has two apps for this camera, Mobilelink and Remote View Finder that you can download on your phone and these are so cool! With Mobilelink, I can connect the camera to my phone and share pictures (which I can then send or upload to facebook, etc.). This can be done anywhere even without WiFi! If you do have WiFi access, there's a button to share and upload pictures to social networking directly from the camera. With the remote viewfinder app, you can use your phone to take the picture from the camera...ie. sit the camera down and snap the picture using the app in your cell. Great when traveling and you want to take a good picture of yourself and company. It's really a great camera for the cost in my opinion.