conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3296 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

The reviews at pcmag.com gave this a "fair" rating

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3296 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Solid reviews (3.9 out of 5.0) over at amazon

vallejokid

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vallejokid

I personally have this camera and am pretty happy with it. I can't take great pictures in any light situation. A couple of things I don't like is that I don't get enough manual control of exposure time and F stop. Also, when taking video, you can hear the lens moving in and out during play back. That is annoying if you are filming something quiet. Other then those two things I am glad I bought it. Not to bulky in the pocket either.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

vallejokid wrote:I personally have this camera and am pretty happy with it. I can't take great pictures in any light situation. A couple of things I don't like is that I don't get enough manual control of exposure time and F stop. Also, when taking video, you can hear the lens moving in and out during play back. That is annoying if you are filming something quiet. Other then those two things I am glad I bought it. Not to bulky in the pocket either.

Can't take or can take?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

again $99.99 tonight, same price as before

dpreview
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-coolpix-s9300

photographyblog
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_coolpix_s9300_review/

product page
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product-Archive/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26315/COOLPIX-S9300.html

manual
http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/coolpix/S9300_9200_EN.pdf

videos

shorter

ThatNikonGuy does this in 3 videos

hopefully, radi0j0hn shows up again (it is his forte, he's written a book on this stuff)

nickdanger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nickdanger

I bought this camera from woot a few months back (refurbished). I am very happy with it! It's now the only one that I use.

Go for it!!

wharper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wharper

Just sayin'... the weirdest thing, recenty.... my friend brought her Nikon camera, almost new. to me. It refused to format the SD card, and refused to format a NEW card she'd purchased.

I Googled the issue and found this is very, very pervasive with CoolPix, and apparantly no way to fix it short of sending the camera to Nikon.

I have many seconds thoughts on buying a limited-warranty refurb Nikon camera now... (and I own a CoolPix).

Just sayin'

Hmmmmm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hmmmmm

I have this camera and love it. The zoom is fantastic. Crystal clear pictures. This is the perfect camera for sorts, band picetures etc.

ljlmatson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ljlmatson

I own one and do not recommend. Takes great general pictures, and as previous poster mentioned the zoom is quite exceptional, but in low light it is poor and the speed is dreadful. Time between photos for camera to store the shot is an eternity, at least 5 seconds which doesn't sound like much but you will be surprised how many shots in succession you miss. Sport mode helps but then you are trading speed for light and aperture control.. Final complaint, the. Lens is not sealed well, I took on a cruise with high humidity and any time I went from air conditioning to outside, the inside of the lens would fog (not a typo - yes the inside next to the image sensor, not the outside) which takes about 5 minutes for all the temps to normalize and unfog. Moisture inside the camera and sensors is not good. I returned to Nikon thinking it was a bad seal, turns out it is just the design and they all do it.

I have a lot of great pictures from this camera, unfortunately, there are probably even more I missed waiting on it to store the pix or for the fog to clear. I love Nikon, just not this model.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
whatsamattaU wrote:again $99.99 tonight, same price as before

dpreview
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-coolpix-s9300

photographyblog
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_coolpix_s9300_review/

product page
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product-Archive/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26315/COOLPIX-S9300.html

manual
http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/coolpix/S9300_9200_EN.pdf

videos

shorter

ThatNikonGuy does this in 3 videos

hopefully, radi0j0hn shows up again (it is his forte, he's written a book on this stuff)

I'm working on a new book, based on my very popular CD-based tutorial "How to buy your first digital camera."

The new one will be called "How to buy your NEXT digital camera!" and is for people who buy the WRONG camera first time around and then make well-meaning but unhelpful comments such as:

"I own one and do not recommend. Takes great general pictures, ...but in low light it is poor and the speed is dreadful."

Off course it is! It has a lens that spend most of it's time at f/5.9 and the user probably never takes it off full-auto, so it never gets to use the higher ISOs, that MIGHT make a difference.

It's useful to understand the basics so you can make better choices.

Interesting to note that companies such as Olympus are dropping their low end lines, as sales have fallen due to smart phone cameras.

Basically the snap shooters are finally getting the ultra-simple camera they want and the enthusiasts will have the others.

Kodak used to sell about 1,000 Instamatics for every high end Nikon or Leica that was sold, so this is just the same and quite normal.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

bobebob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobebob

Damn, I bought one of these new from Costco for over $300 last year. I've been very happy with it, but it would have been nice to save all that dough!

bluemaple

quality posts: 72 Private Messages bluemaple

Sorry Woot - 'not a fan of refurb digi-cameras.

Way too much chance of previous abuse that is not immediately apparent when you get it. (Use at beach, water, etc... Sand kills the telephoto function of these cameras.)

gravityisweak

quality posts: 27 Private Messages gravityisweak

Just wanted to say, I bought this camera the last time it was offered and I love it so much, I'm tempted to buy another one. Honestly folks for 100 bucks you really can't go wrong. I own 4 different nikon coolpics models and I also have a Nikon D90 for the serious stuff.

The zoom is incredible, the menus are easy to use, the macro is cool, and the zoom is the biggest I've seen on a point and shoot.

I brought this camera with me on a cruise and was amazed at the results. Here are 2 photos I personally took with this camera.

powermatt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages powermatt
bluemaple wrote:Sorry Woot - 'not a fan of refurb digi-cameras.

Way too much chance of previous abuse that is not immediately apparent when you get it. (Use at beach, water, etc... Sand kills the telephoto function of these cameras.)

Nikon factory refurbs are among the best. Recommended them to a few friends and I've never heard any complaints. Now granted, that's with Nikon's DSLRs. Not sure if they have another company do their point and shoots or not. Somewhat unreleated, but I also bought a refurbished Olympus E-PM1 a while back and it's had exactly zero issues. Most factory refurbs are pretty good.

All that said, this is a fairly average camera. For $100, though, not a terrible deal.

gijmaj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gijmaj

Purchased 2 days ago... has not shipped yet.. will test as soon as it reaches me. I want to use it for everyday shots, when I can't carry my Canon professional camera..

gijmaj

Today got it and it has a problem - can't be charged. Does anybody know why?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

gijmaj wrote:Today got it and it has a problem - can't be charged. Does anybody know why?

Hmm. You might contact Nikon for support to see if it's a resolvable issue.

If you feel like the item is defunct, please email Support@Woot.com and we'll assist.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

gijmaj

PemberDucky wrote:Hmm. You might contact Nikon for support to see if it's a resolvable issue.

If you feel like the item is defunct, please email Support@Woot.com and we'll assist.

I did. I immediately emailed to Nikon tech support, but still no answer.
hope it's not camera problem. I was starting to love it. and suddenly...