WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

TVs Must Be 50" To Ride This Ride

We don't like to feel redundant, but even we admit there's nothing we can say that can add to the primal appeal of a gigantic TV. You either want one or you're lying to yourself.

superclean

quality posts: 1 Private Messages superclean

Stevie!!!!

ginbak

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ginbak

I like TVs like I like my [....], big and dumb.

Has anyone else had the problem of the smart TV or blu-ray makers abandoning updates for the "latest-and-greatest"? My stuff was obsolete within one year of purchase. I don't really want a 55 inch disposable. I'll stick to boxes for the "smart" stuff.

tmez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmez

Alrighty Woot if you send me the wrong Sharp Model this time it might be the last time I ever purchase anything more than $30 from you ever again.

It is ironic actually... today is the day that SEKO Delivery is picking up the last Sharp TV (purchased a few weeks ago on a similar TV sale on here on Woot) which was actually the cheaper of the Sharp models offered.

And for those of you who, on the last forum, had the same problem that I had...today is a new day!

Leto

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Leto

Can anyone comment on the quality of the wall mounts?

flipsidezw

quality posts: 2 Private Messages flipsidezw

Alright, I think I've done my research.
This one's description says it's 20% more viewing area than other 60" screens. It is a 60" screen.
The big complaint about this one seems to be that the digital audio out only works with the HDMI 1 port. (rep says that's because it was made for black friday).
This one has yellowing due to the quattron way of doing things. Also, the 3d glasses cost $25-50 apiece, and it doesn't include any.

As far as up-to-date tech might be concerned, this one
It looks like this one is the only one that supports HDMI/HDCP, which is a content protection protocol that is becoming more and more common, so if you wanting to use one of these as a monitor with some upgradability to your computer, make sure it has HDCP.

The Vizio ones seem to be pretty solid and include 3d glasses (passive theater kinds) where applicable.

Also a big complaint about many of these is that that out of the box picture quality is lacking. To solve this, browse the manual and play around with the post processing/smoothing effects and then get into the standards like contrast and sharpness.

krishanchandra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krishanchandra
tmez wrote:Alrighty Woot if you send me the wrong Sharp Model this time it might be the last time I ever purchase anything more than $30 from you ever again.

It is ironic actually... today is the day that SEKO Delivery is picking up the last Sharp TV (purchased a few weeks ago on a similar TV sale on here on Woot) which was actually the cheaper of the Sharp models offered.

And for those of you who, on the last forum, had the same problem that I had...today is a new day!

The 70 inch Vizio refurbished that I had ordered on Apr 24th 2013 has not yet arrived. Buyer BEWARE. I called up the SEKO delivery firm and they said they lost (Don't ask me how you lose a 70 inch TV) the TV and now on their way with a replacement unit from woot. The customer care on woot end has been replying with generic I'm sorry messages, please give it another day or two or call SEKO every time I ask them for an update. I am a loyal wooter but this experience e has me thinking. The TV was supposed to be a mother's day surprise and it's not here yet. Hopefully when I get it I would be able to to re-post with actual reviews.

brendan948725

quality posts: 39 Private Messages brendan948725

Hey guys--I really wanna use this guy: "Level Mount PT900 34-65" Ultra Slim Pan/Tilt Mount for 34-65" TVs" for that 70" Vizio I just bought. Is that 65" max a recommendation or an absolute?

Thanks!

*MOST RECENT WOOTS!*

• Random Crap
  • Light Blocking Curtains and Rod
  • HP Deskjet Wireless

• 20 Woots! (5 Bungled Original Communicator)
  • 27 Shirts!
  • 5 Sellouts!
  • 2 Homes!
  • 1 Sport!
  • 2 Techs!
  • 1 Wine!
  • 1 Accessories!
  • 2 Pops!

ashli143

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ashli143

Do anyone know about the tv stand with built in speakers??

skullopener

quality posts: 2 Private Messages skullopener

DO NOT BUY refurbrished TV's.....i bought the Sharp 70" LED Smart TV last time on Woot and it stopped working in 2 days. On top of that the TV is shipped in poor packaging. My TV arrived with a huge hole in the back. The shipping company is bad cause they don't care if the item is fragile and treat the shipment rough.

Woot was easy to work with about solving this problem but I would never buy refurbished TV's again.

Trust me....you are better off buying big screen TV's from a local store.

Here is the discussion page from last time...
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5419262&pageindex=4

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
skullopener wrote:DO NOT BUY refurbrished TV's.....i bought the Sharp 70" LED Smart TV last time on Woot and it stopped working in 2 days. On top of that the TV is shipped in poor packaging. My TV arrived with a huge hole in the back. The shipping company is bad cause they don't care if the item is fragile and treat the shipment rough.

Woot was easy to work with about solving this problem but I would never buy refurbished TV's again.

I tend to agree with you but I've done well with refurbished computer items. They are NOT large TV's though. My 25.5 " monitor has lasted close to 4 years. Most of the refurb computers do okay too.But a 50+ inch TV I would pass on refurb.

I do agree that a large screen TV should be brand new. Our first LCD TV, a Sharp was bought locally and is still running sweet for over 5 years. The picture is as good as our Samsungs.

I took a chance with the large monitor and it's my favorite monitor, EVER! Having just bought the Hexacore desktop tower w/ 10 gigs of RAM and a 2 gig dedicated video card, I can't wait to hook it up to that monitor. It arrived last night, a very quick ship, 2 days from order to arrival.

Good luck peeps, I hope you get the items you want but do be careful, get an extra warranty perhaps.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

OhHealy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages OhHealy

I bought a refurb 47" Westinghouse from woot maybe 5 years ago. Thing came out like brand new and is still working today! I need a new bigger tv though.

cgdego6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cgdego6
skullopener wrote:DO NOT BUY refurbrished TV's.....i bought the Sharp 70" LED Smart TV last time on Woot and it stopped working in 2 days. On top of that the TV is shipped in poor packaging. My TV arrived with a huge hole in the back. The shipping company is bad cause they don't care if the item is fragile and treat the shipment rough.

I can't blame you for not wanting to buy a refurb tv. I knew it was a risk when I bought a refurb 42" Vizio from Tigerdirect, but it's been great for the last year and a half. I've had no problems. It does make me a little more uncomfortable when you get up into the $1k range on a refurb...

skullopener

quality posts: 2 Private Messages skullopener
MichXelle wrote:I tend to agree with you but I've done well with refurbished computer items. They are NOT large TV's though. My 25.5 " monitor has lasted close to 4 years. Most of the refurb computers do okay too.But a 50+ inch TV I would pass on refurb.

I do agree that a large screen TV should be brand new. Our first LCD TV, a Sharp was bought locally and is still running sweet for over 5 years. The picture is as good as our Samsungs.

I took a chance with the large monitor and it's my favorite monitor, EVER! Having just bought the Hexacore desktop tower w/ 10 gigs of RAM and a 2 gig dedicated video card, I can't wait to hook it up to that monitor. It arrived last night, a very quick ship, 2 days from order to arrival.

Good luck peeps, I hope you get the items you want but do be careful, get an extra warranty perhaps.

I bought a refurbished HP ENVY 17.3" Quad-Core i7 Laptop from woot couple of months ago and that one had some issues as well and I had to send it to HP within the first week to get it fixed. Its working fine since then. As i am still in 90 day warranty period, I am planning on buying extended warranty from HP.

My point is that there is a higher risk associated with big ticket and big size items. And if the item doesn't come in its original packing like the 70" Sharp, there is even higher risk that the item may not be packaged and shipped properly.

But if you do decide to buy it anyways, just make sure when you get the TV, ask the delivery guy to remove it from the packaging so you can inspect it for any damage. The shipping company that delivered my TV made me sign a form to accept the delivery. I noticed later what I signed was a condition form that reported any damage (this didn't become an issue cause woot asked me to return the item).

Also go through each setting in the menu and make sure they work. My TV stopped working when I was in the menu items and tried to increase the Bass. It went completely blank and the Sharp LED light started flashing. No picture or audio, and it stopped responding to the remote or buttons on the side. I later found out through research and online TV Tech help that it was circuit board issue. They all said that this is a very common issue in Sharp TV's. I even found a YouTube video with exact same issue as mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28Jmq4aWEk

Karlitoe123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Karlitoe123

I bought the Sharp 60" higher end model on April 24th and it has yet to ship...while the new posting says the exact model ships in 3-5 days. WHAT GIVES WOOT?

I've sent in two requests for a status update and have received nothing from Woot. Thanks for holding on to my cash for a month! Been happy with Woot buying smaller crap, but this is ridiculous.

Lastly, Woot's 90 day warranty starts on date of purchase... what a scam that they state this since I probably won't get my TV until a month after the purchase.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Karlitoe123 wrote:I bought the Sharp 60" higher end model on April 24th and it has yet to ship...while the new posting says the exact model ships in 3-5 days. WHAT GIVES WOOT?

I've sent in two requests for a status update and have received nothing from Woot. Thanks for holding on to my cash for a month! Been happy with Woot buying smaller crap, but this is ridiculous.

Lastly, Woot's 90 day warranty starts on date of purchase... what a scam that they state this since I probably won't get my TV until a month after the purchase.

That is a bit long. They do indeed ship in 3-5 days... that means put in the hands of the delivery company though, not received.

Probably worth emailing support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Karlitoe123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Karlitoe123
ThunderThighs wrote:That is a bit long. They do indeed ship in 3-5 days... that means put in the hands of the delivery company though, not received.

Probably worth emailing support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

Thanks Thunderthighs for the advice, but I already did that a week ago. Still haven't been given a reply beyond the auto-generated email stating my case number and telling me that "We strive to answer all inquiries within 24 hours if at all possible".

Does it usually take 5+ days to get a response from support?

bigj40

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bigj40

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=50K360&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

gcarlomagno

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gcarlomagno

Hi,
Stay away from these Sharp refurbished TV's. They are crap. Bought the first one a few weeks ago and returned because it was damaged. No refund received yet. Woot CS told that I needed to buy another one because they are not sending a replacement.
I bought the second one and it is damaged as well. I have a black vertical line in the middle of the TV.
Basically, I paid for 2 TV's and have nothing!!