conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3278 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Thorough review over at hometheater.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3278 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Some good reviews over at vanns.com

cowboyesfan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cowboyesfan

That's quite a bit of change for a speaker...

Hoser768

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Hoser768

Mirage makes some nice sounding speakers, but I just can't justify spending $1800 on a pair.

Listen to me now, or hear me say "I told you so" later.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

See, at that price I would want real rosewood, not MDF with vinyl on it. I know they aret there for looking at, but still.

Still single, can't imagine why.

jamesclaflin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesclaflin

Holy crap thats expensive!

viladevall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages viladevall

If you want great sounding speakers without breaking the bank, Axiom speakers is the way to go!

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln
jamesclaflin wrote:Holy crap thats expensive!

Given some of the above links, their original selling price appears to be $3,750 each. (Yes, I realize the current MSRP given is lower.) Crutchfield has the model for ~$1,600.

For me, the $5 shipping breaks the deal.

dlhinshaw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dlhinshaw

Wow!!! Really great price. Crutchworld has them on sale for $1,600 right now. Yep, they are pricey, but you pay for good speakers. I've listened to them several times and really liked them, just couldn't afford their normal price of $2,500 each! (bought Definitive Technology and love them)

Bottom line is, if you are in the market for quality home speakers, this is a steal!

jamesclaflin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesclaflin
mrln wrote:Given some of the above links, their original selling price appears to be $3,750 each. (Yes, I realize the current MSRP given is lower.) Crutchfield has the model for ~$1,600.

For me, the $5 shipping breaks the deal.

Wait, 5 dollars breaks an 800 dollar purchase?
I was actually just thinking how cool that this is only 5 bucks to ship, that cheap for something so heavy.

jfindling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfindling
jamesclaflin wrote:Wait, 5 dollars breaks an 800 dollar purchase?
I was actually just thinking how cool that this is only 5 bucks to ship, that cheap for something so heavy.

Please check your irony sensors. They appear to be malfunctioning.

onclejulien

quality posts: 2 Private Messages onclejulien
jfindling wrote:Please check your irony sensors. They appear to be malfunctioning.

sarcasm, rather.

unless someone just shipped him $5 which in turn broke something that prevents him from acting on this deal.

03wrbwrx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 03wrbwrx
jfindling wrote:Please check your irony sensors. They appear to be malfunctioning.

I think this one needs an entire system overhaul.

badhabit12

quality posts: 14 Private Messages badhabit12

Warranty: 90 Days?????

I know there made in China "BUT" is the quality of parts used that bad that you only get 90 days. Thats hardly past the brake in period.

[MOD: Warranty = 5 years.]

pal51961

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pal51961

They are veneer not vinyl. Thin sheets of rosewood are applied, shaped and then epoxied. Very expensive method, very high quality. Looks like gorgeous solid wood.

Paul A. Levin

shoppershane

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shoppershane
FenStar wrote:See, at that price I would want real rosewood, not MDF with vinyl on it. I know they aret there for looking at, but still.

I have 3 OMD-15's and 6 OMD-5's in my home theater. They are beautiful speakers and the sound is amazing. As someone mentioned earlier, it's veneer. If it was solid rosewood milled and shaped into an oval cabinet, the speaker would cost 5 figures. When I bought my system these were still $3,000.00 plus (ea.) I'm in for 2. For those on the fence, pony up. You can sell them on Audiogon for more than what you'll pay for them. This is the best deal I've seen on Woot! in months!! If you've ever wanted to own TRUE audiophile gear but just thought those prices were hysterical, here's your chance. Thanks Woot!

shoppershane

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shoppershane
badhabit12 wrote:Warranty: 90 Days?????

I know there made in China "BUT" is the quality of parts used that bad that you only get 90 days. Thats hardly past the brake in period.

Mirage's warranty on their OMD line was 5 years. I guess for 1/4 the original selling price they've decided not to obligate themselves that long

[MOD: Warranty = 5 years]

dhanjalus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhanjalus

I heard these at a mirage dealer based upon a published review.
They are quite muddy sounding, Depth of field is poor and I would let then occupy space in my house. I certainly would not pay money for them. If I got them for free, I would give them to my parents as they would be an upgrade and they would not notice the sound issues as they have 72+ year old ears.

BTW: I ended up get a set of used Infinity Kappa 8 speakers, to let you know what sounded good to me.

wootuser1967

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootuser1967

My brother's wife's cousin's friend picked up a pair of these from a couple of dudes in a white van a couple of months ago. Said they were surplus and their boss didn't want them coming back with any in the van. A steal at $300 a pair!

gelo48

quality posts: 8 Private Messages gelo48

If they were solid rosewood they would also resonate changing the speaker sound. MDF is used to control where the sound comes from. Guitars and violins need the resonating effect, good speakers don't.

It's been a few years since I was in the business but back then Mirage was top of the line for regular people. For true audiophiles this is entry level stuff.

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 38 Private Messages Pufferfishy

Low efficiency and 3.5 Ohms impedance - hopefully those buying have some seriously robust amplification driving these cheap-amp eaters. Your $250 Sony is not up to the task.

If I weren't totally happy with my Klipsch Reference drivers I'd give a set of these a shot - I'm intrigued...

Price certainly reminds me of Woot! in its heyday!

You've been put on posting probation for this post

checkssc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages checkssc

Look at Fluance. I've had a pair of what is now the SV10's for 10 years now. They used to be made in Canada but I don't know now. I got a pair of towers like this, front firing tweeter, two forward mid's and a side firing 8" ported woofer for around $300. Regular $500. They're on sale right now. After break in period they have done nothing but gotten better. As to the price of these, my last pair were Sansui 8600's ? and I paid $899 each in 1976 so do the math. You will pay for a good speaker.
Rule #1 for speaker purchases. Listen to them and if you like how they sound then buy them

mfaughn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mfaughn

Yea, you can have high quality, audiophool speakers for a whole lot less than this, especially in the used market. I just passed on a set of Dahlquist DQ-20's in good condition for $300 because I don't have the space for any more speakers. Anyone wanna buy my Snell A/iii set (codename: refrigerators)? DIY is also another way to get your bang for your buck. Econowave will get you there.

Invisiblemoose

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Invisiblemoose
mfaughn wrote:Anyone wanna buy my Snell A/iii set (codename: refrigerators)?

Heck yeah, if you'll deliver them.

I don't really like the Mirage sound, I'm not sure I'd recommend dropping this kind of cash without a listen first...

spdmsw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages spdmsw

Agreed, I grabbed the Fluance XL7F's when they were offered on Woot for 400.00 for the pair. Absolutely fantastic speakers!!, great imaging soundstage and all. I must say Mirage make a great speaker too and i'm sure these are sick sounding, but everything that i have read about them says they are very room sensitive and require perfect placement in order for them to deliver great sound. Something to consider before splurging.

PS:this is a great price for these speakers!!

checkssc wrote:Look at Fluance. I've had a pair of what is now the SV10's for 10 years now. They used to be made in Canada but I don't know now. I got a pair of towers like this, front firing tweeter, two forward mid's and a side firing 8" ported woofer for around $300. Regular $500. They're on sale right now. After break in period they have done nothing but gotten better. As to the price of these, my last pair were Sansui 8600's ? and I paid $899 each in 1976 so do the math. You will pay for a good speaker.
Rule #1 for speaker purchases. Listen to them and if you like how they sound then buy them

mst3kguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mst3kguy

someone said these were made in china? did i miss that? i thought mirage was a canadian company. this breaks one of my rules of thumb: never buy speakers outside of the u.s. or canada.

it's about time woot offered up some actual audiophile-grade speakers. only problem is we're in the home theater age, not the stereo age. unless you already have mirage center, side and rears, if you buy these, you're gonna be redoing your whole home theater speaker set-up with mirage.

tjallenxyz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjallenxyz
cowboyesfan wrote:That's quite a bit of change for a speaker...

that's what I'm saying

badhabit12

quality posts: 14 Private Messages badhabit12
wootuser1967 wrote:My brother's wife's cousin's friend picked up a pair of these from a couple of dudes in a white van a couple of months ago. Said they were surplus and their boss didn't want them coming back with any in the van. A steal at $300 a pair!

,,,,,Your wife's Cousin was the victim of a scam. Go to Google and type in "White van speaker scam".
This is a very organised scam that has been around for years. They also move from rented space to rented space so you can not track them down.
"WHEN IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE,,,,,,it usually is"

Invisiblemoose

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Invisiblemoose
badhabit12 wrote:,,,,,Your wife's Cousin was the victim of a scam. Go to Google and type in "White van speaker scam".
This is a very organised scam that has been around for years. They also move from rented space to rented space so you can not track them down.
"WHEN IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE,,,,,,it usually is"

Yes. That was the joke.

guitardude1988

quality posts: 0 Private Messages guitardude1988

You can get FANTASTIC speakers at full price cheaper than these. Check out PSB Image T6 or Bowers & Wilkins 683 speakers. You should also always listen to these types of speakers yourself before you buy them

bluemaple

quality posts: 72 Private Messages bluemaple
badhabit12 wrote:Warranty: 90 Days?????

@badhabit12, Woot must have updated the info. Currently shows: "Warranty: 5 Years Mirage"

mfaughn

Invisiblemoose wrote:Heck yeah, if you'll deliver them.

Well, that's the trick ain't it. I'm in the middle of nowhere in southern Appalachia. They are still the best speakers I've had or have out of a very long list but I no longer have a good room for them. They are sitting with a sheet over them in the rec room in hopes of adding on the house someday.

rpstrong

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rpstrong
mfaughn wrote:Anyone wanna buy my Snell A/iii set (codename: refrigerators)?

Reminds me a bit of the speakers my dad had while I was in high school (early 70s) - Fulton J Modulars (later called Fulton Premiers). About five feet tall, just over two feet wide, and just under two feet deep. A black monolith with a slab of rosewood on each side - some pics here:

http://tinyurl.com/d34gw6l

At the time, they were the most realistic sounding speakers I'd ever heard, at least for classical music.

jeffreydurbin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jeffreydurbin
dhanjalus wrote:I heard these at a mirage dealer based upon a published review.
They are quite muddy sounding, Depth of field is poor and I would let then occupy space in my house. I certainly would not pay money for them. If I got them for free, I would give them to my parents as they would be an upgrade and they would not notice the sound issues as they have 72+ year old ears.

BTW: I ended up get a set of used Infinity Kappa 8 speakers, to let you know what sounded good to me.

Infinity are very, very "bright" speakers. If you like Infinity then it makes sense you would find these to be muddy.

There are two philosophies regarding speakers. Are they accurate, meaning do they reproduce the sound as accurately as possible? OR do they sound good to my ears? You obviously fall into the second camp.

I have a 7.1 Klipsch Reference Series (also very bright speakers) setup in the family room and Klipsch Synergy SLX 6.0 speakers in need of a subwoofer when I get around to setting up that second surround system.

The Reference Series speakers were purchased from a dealer closeout at about 60% off and the Synergy speakers were purchased from Woot years ago.

I really cannot rationalize another speaker purchase but I really am intrigued by these. Oftentimes, Woot sells the front speakers and then the center channel and then the surrounds. I wish I knew if that was going to happen now. A 5.1 or 7.1 system would be attractive.

jeffreydurbin

dhanjalus wrote:I heard these at a mirage dealer based upon a published review.

Another key point is that all speakers are highly sensitive to their placement. So-called omni speakers like these are even more sensitive. It could have been a poorly designed listening room when you shopped.

jeffreydurbin

mfaughn wrote:Yea, you can have high quality, audiophool speakers for a whole lot less than this, especially in the used market. I just passed on a set of Dahlquist DQ-20's in good condition for $300 because I don't have the space for any more speakers. Anyone wanna buy my Snell A/iii set (codename: refrigerators)? DIY is also another way to get your bang for your buck. Econowave will get you there.

Buying used speakers is dicey. I would rather buy model year closeout sales or woot deals like this. The materials in cones age and become brittle. Electronics (crossovers) can fry.

jeffreydurbin

guitardude1988 wrote:You can get FANTASTIC speakers at full price cheaper than these. Check out PSB Image T6 or Bowers & Wilkins 683 speakers. You should also always listen to these types of speakers yourself before you buy them

B&W are AWESOME speakers. I have listened to the Nautilus and 800 series at dealers but never ponied up the money. I didn't realize they went down-market.

mfaughn

rpstrong wrote: Fulton J Modulars

http://tinyurl.com/d34gw6l

I hope I never come across any of those because I will get them if I do and they are just way too big :-)

It seems to me that an omnidirectional speaker should not be as sensitive to placement (I'm saying these aren't). I have a really hard room (i.e. impossible to get good placement) and so am always seeking out speakers that are not placement dependent for them. Ohm Walsh series always worked well in there. Bipolar Paradigms filled the space well too but didn't get my booty movin'. Currently using a set of Vandersteen 2C in there which seems to be a happy compromise of all factors. For some rooms there is no perfect speaker. Heck, IMO, there is no perfect speaker, period.