WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Evolution 7" Tablet & Portable Charger Bundle

A 7", 8GB Android tablet with 8GB microSD card doesn't just happen by accident. It wasn't a monkey that just magically turned into a tablet one day. There's a plan behind it, an intelligence, an unseen hand. As for the included chargers that don't charge these particular tablets, we're not sure what's going on there.
Evolution Tablet official site

jeffwilhelm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffwilhelm

I love how all the screens of the Android tablets are Windows 8!

metallicapirate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages metallicapirate
jeffwilhelm wrote:I love how all the screens of the Android tablets are Windows 8!

I was just about to post that comment, but you beat me to it!

editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid
jeffwilhelm wrote:I love how all the screens of the Android tablets are Windows 8!

I actually started to wonder whether Microsoft (or some indie ROM developer) had created a Win8-style home screen for Android.

By the way, their site is worth going to just so we can all discover whatever happened to Geocities.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Well, it's not actually a Windows 8 screen. They have their own alternate start-up screen that you get to by pressing a button on the device.

We tested two units here to confirm.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

Also, we wanted to be very transparent on this device. The back of it says 16GB. It's actually 8GB internal with an 8GB card. We make this very clear in the sale.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

hoosiercub

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hoosiercub

Mmm Craplets for breakfast this morning.. I have no info on this thing but I can't imagine why you'd not spend the extra $50 and get a Nexus 7.

evermore144

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evermore144

I love my candy apple red one! and all I do is pop out the SD and put in a 32gig so now mine is 40gig!! This tablet does a ton, it has a regular usb port so I can put my thumb drive in the side.I love that it has HDMI.I'm buying the Teal color on for my mom. Rock on!

robspan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages robspan

Does this have gps or the Google Play store?

evermore144

My Shockwave has front and back camera's, and a flash on the back camera......thats why !

evermore144

Ya I downloaded a ton of apps on the play store

ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey, the buyer left his computer unlocked and walked away. His loss, your gain!

We snuck in and lowered the price to $129!

And don't forget this includes the BONUS charger! That alone is a $20 value (I'm told).

Now hurry and buy them before he figures out what we did!

jvoilleque

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jvoilleque

This company's website is horrifying. That doesn't necessarily speak to the usefulness of the product, but on the other hand I question whether they can care that much about their products if they display them on that pile of crap.

jimsinkorea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimsinkorea

I might consider but once again, no shipping to APO address, why is this becoming the norm?

NeoPoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NeoPoe

I commend Woot for being so up front on this device and taking the time to make sure we get the low down on what we are about to purchase.

nowoot4u

quality posts: 9 Private Messages nowoot4u
evermore144 wrote:Ya I downloaded a ton of apps on the play store

Hmmm, no woots, no quality posts, then suddenly a flurry of posting on this sale. Just joined today huh? Suspicious, no?

If you are a company shill, just says so. We could ask you some questions instead of you just spouting off about how great this tablet maybe is.

But then, if you're a paid shill, you've probably never even seen one of these tablets.

ThunderThighs

Staff

jimsinkorea wrote:I might consider but once again, no shipping to APO address, why is this becoming the norm?

I did find out more about that. This is usually the case on sales where the items are drop shipped directly from the vendor. They usually use FedEx. FedEx doesn't deliver to PO Boxes and APO/FBO = PO Boxes.

Sorry.

ThunderThighs

Staff

nowoot4u wrote:Hmmm, no woots, no quality posts, then suddenly a flurry of posting on this sale. Just joined today huh? Suspicious, no?

If you are a company shill, just says so. We could ask you some questions instead of you just spouting off about how great this tablet maybe is.

But then, if you're a paid shill, you've probably never even seen one of these tablets.

Yeah, we're trying to track down who this is as well. I'd take the comments with a grain of salt.

nowoot4u

quality posts: 9 Private Messages nowoot4u

Hooo hoo, their website is hilarious!!

Check out this golden nugget about the power charger:
"Your power bank is for charging most 5v small electronic like cellphones, cameras etc. Any 5v item that charges though a USB port. iPads are 10v so this item would not be appropriate to charge that. Also an iPad USB charger is 10v so you would not use that to charge your new Evolution Power."

Hmmm, no, iPad chargers are 5V, 2.1A, so 10W, not 10V. Wow, if they can't get even basic stuff like that straight...

jimsinkorea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimsinkorea
ThunderThighs wrote:I did find out more about that. This is usually the case on sales where the items are drop shipped directly from the vendor. They usually use FedEx. FedEx doesn't deliver to PO Boxes and APO/FBO = PO Boxes.

Sorry.

Thanks for checking...

jareza

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jareza
editorkid wrote:I actually started to wonder whether Microsoft (or some indie ROM developer) had created a Win8-style home screen for Android.

By the way, their site is worth going to just so we can all discover whatever happened to Geocities.

HAHHAHAHAHAHAH Geocities.... ahhh the good old days....
Indeed this website made me remember those days

hilleri8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hilleri8

I doubt it has access to the play store.
http://www.evolutiontablet.com/Evolution_Tablet_Android_4.0_Tablet/Evolution_Tablet_Support__Netflix.html
They give you a direct link to what looks like a special Netflix apk to install directly onto the device...

*edit: correction it says it has access to the "play store" on the support page http://www.evolutiontablet.com/Evolution_Tablet_Android_4.0_Tablet/Evolution_Tablet_Support_F.A.Q..html. However, me being Mr. negativity makes me wonder if this is some sort of large scam to steal lots of peoples Netflix and Google passwords... I know a lot of people whose lives could basically be taken over if you got their Google password.

lkarmaz15

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkarmaz15

800x480 on a 7" screen? You can get the same effect by vigorously applying sandpaper directly to your eyes.

Venardhi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Venardhi

It seems like the Nook HD down at B&N is a much better option. This week with the mother's day sale the price difference is negligible compared to how much of a step up the hardware is, and they have full access to the play store now. Throw on your favorite launcher and enjoy.

chimunga

quality posts: 7 Private Messages chimunga

Their website looks like it was made in a 7th grade html class.... In 2002.

I know that start-ups need support too, and I understand the giant monopoly that big companies have on the tablet market.... But in this day and age, if you can't make a halfway decent, professional looking website, what does that say about your tablet-building skillz?

Props for the HDMI port, though. More tablets need those.

Watching their commercial, I really expected the girl to say "And for just three payments of $66.65, this can be yours!"

Their youtube/facebook/twitter buttons literally just take you to the respective site's homepage.....

chimunga

quality posts: 7 Private Messages chimunga
jimsinkorea wrote:I might consider but once again, no shipping to APO address, why is this becoming the norm?

It's usually because someone is shipping VIA non-USPS, and they don't want to make an exception.

You can ship things to APO via FedEx, but it will literally take like two months to get to you. FedEx hands off their stuff to USPS at some point during the shipping, and for some reason it's a very long process.

I only know this because woot ships their shirts via FedEx. I would buy more shirts if they didn't take two months to get to me. *hint hint, nudge nudge* I even experimented, and tried one-day shipping on a shirt once, and it had no effect on how fast it got to me.

An annoying option that I used (for a tablet purchased on woot) was to have it shipped to someone back home, and then have it shipped to be through USPS. Takes longer, but if you really want something, it's worth it.

mrdrummajor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrdrummajor

what pray, is the point of a bundle such as this when the power bank can't charge the tablet?

alpha232

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alpha232
chimunga wrote:It's usually because someone is shipping VIA non-USPS, and they don't want to make an exception.

You can ship things to APO via FedEx, but it will literally take like two months to get to you. FedEx hands off their stuff to USPS at some point during the shipping, and for some reason it's a very long process.

That would be FedEx SmartPost. On the large scale side, merchants have a huge trailer they fill. Once it's filled it goes to a SmartPost facility to sort, and then routed through SmartPost hubs around the country. Finally it's "Injected" into the USPS package stream at a regional or local facility for the destination. After that it's up to the USPS.

Pony99CA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Pony99CA

The description says that this has Android 4.1 (Jellybean) AND Adobe Flash. I thought that Flash wasn't supported in Jellybean.

tmack84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmack84
Pony99CA wrote:The description says that this has Android 4.1 (Jellybean) AND Adobe Flash. I thought that Flash wasn't supported in Jellybean.

Not natively, no, but if you install the apk, then Flash will work. For flash sites, it will be best to use Dolphin or Firefox as, like you mentioned, Google dropped support for Flash. Doesn't mean Flash won't work in Browser or Chrome, but it is more likely to be a more buggy experience.

EDIT: I know this because I have it installed on my Motorola XOOM, which is running 4.1.2. I needed it so my son could see/play the games on Zoodles Kid Mode.

Aquila76

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Aquila76

They seem to have a sales video reminiscent of early 00's infomercials. Otherwise, the Internet is markedly silent on this device.

My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal.

Bluesultan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bluesultan

Would this make a good tablet for my 10 year old daughter?

soffen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soffen

I've searched high and low for review on this device and can't find anything except their website and a single retail vendor in New Hampshire. I like the price, but the specs are iffy and without reliable review (like on Amazon or something), I'm going to have to pass on this. For about $50 more, I get a better table from a more reliable vendor, and that is worth the $50 for me...

Cargo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cargo

Battery Life: Up to 6 hours
Not good. At all.

This is a telltale sign that along with everything else means the unit is just not worth it.

The Nexus 7 is simply too close in price and blows it away in specs.
Yes the rear camera and extra ports would be nice, but not at the cost of power, speed, battery, screen.

I am sure the unit will perform fine for what it is. But, why bother with something inferior when you can get the mac daddy for a few dollars more.

Venardhi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Venardhi
Bluesultan wrote:Would this make a good tablet for my 10 year old daughter?

If you want her to hate technology.

craighansen

quality posts: 4 Private Messages craighansen

The manual is at: http://www.evolutiontablet.com/Evolution_Tablet_Android_4.0_Tablet/Evolution_Tablet_Support_files/Manual.PDF

On p20 of the manual it misspells Android as "Andriod," and even though it also says "The manual has been carefully checked, but does not rule out the possibility of a small number of textual errors." it doesn't make for a warm comfortable feeling about product quality.

maybejet

quality posts: 6 Private Messages maybejet
ThunderThighs wrote:Yeah, we're trying to track down who this is as well. I'd take the comments with a grain of salt.

As always, you are ahead of the pack!!! I, too, was going back and forth from the website to (N)evermore144's comments, trying to figure out his/her game. Thanks for staying on top of things!!!

maybejet

quality posts: 6 Private Messages maybejet
mrdrummajor wrote:what pray, is the point of a bundle such as this when the power bank can't charge the tablet?

To keep your cell phone charged while you are on hold with their tech support, maybe? -LOL-

kate31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kate31
lkarmaz15 wrote:800x480 on a 7" screen? You can get the same effect by vigorously applying sandpaper directly to your eyes.

Ha Ha Ha! Now I'll always remember what 800x480 feels like!

kate31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kate31

Dear Woot Posters,
Thank you so much for this incredibly helpful discussion. The manner in which you have shared your research and your wide-ranging knowledge base has really been accessible and good-natured.
I had considered the new Nook, with the back light. I think you can download ebook formats which don't work on a Kindle?
At any rate, the Evolution tablet is definitely is out!!
Again, I really do want to thank each of you. I enjoy reading your discussions because you are so funny and smart, but this one is the very best!