Quality Posts

curtise

quality posts: 20 Private Messages curtise

Yes, it will work with a Mac.

Hilarious.

-=C=-

elpepe

quality posts: 12 Private Messages elpepe

no retina display and no Fusion drive? those are just about the best two reasons to have a MBP.

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

significantly outdated laptop for over $1400?

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Not a retina macbooks are terribly overpriced imo. But they are still great and durable laptops!

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3695 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

read (and watch) this "excellent" review over at cnet.com

lassow

The specs list a 'Thunderbolt' port, but the image shows the older 'Displayport'

[MOD: It has Thunderbolt. Image was wrong and has been removed. See my post below.]

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Please note:

Warranty: 1 Year Apple - Factory Recertified

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

susanrm

quality posts: 15 Private Messages susanrm

This is my machine, which I bought over a year ago. I added on the matte, high-res screen, which is a touch below retina display (this was pre-retina on Macbook Pros). Great machine.

*Honest 200 Member* Sept. 2012 x2

lassow

Apple is selling a 2012 refurb directly from their online store for $40 more. Has USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. Just pay sales tax.

Ramsos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ramsos
lassow wrote:The specs list a 'Thunderbolt' port, but the image shows the older 'Displayport'

Thunderbolt and Mini Display port look exactly the same. The only difference in a little thunderbolt icon next to it. But upon further investigation this image does not have the thunderbolt icon.

rmh3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmh3

colebeck

quality posts: 14 Private Messages colebeck

This is a refurb and costs twice as much as my (brand removed) with better specs did. And not even a retina display? Whoever buys this is a sucker, indeed.
edit: removed name of PC manufacturer to avoid conflicts and brand-wars. I just wanted to question the value of this 'deal'.

lassow

colebeck wrote:This is a refurb and costs twice as much as my Asus with better specs did. And not even a retina display? Whoever buys this is a sucker, indeed.

Agreed! At least you can throw in 16GB RAM and a SSD and still keep it under $2000, but then you could buy a Retina with 16GB RAM and SSD.

tjlee0909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjlee0909
colebeck wrote:This is a refurb and costs twice as much as my Asus with better specs did. And not even a retina display? Whoever buys this is a sucker, indeed.

The display of the rMBP is really not the biggest technical change from this older MBP. There are a couple pluses for the rMBP over this model, and the retina display is really one of the smaller pluses in my opinion.

thumperchick

quality posts: 247 Private Messages thumperchick

Where is the poll for tonight on Tech and Sellout? And why do they not appear some nights?
(feel free to delete when they're put up)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

UPDATE
We're checking on the problem with our photo vs the specs vs the model number. Wonderful Eric is heading to the office to check everything again in person.

UPDATE 2
This model has Thunderbolt.
Looks like we grabbed an old photo.
Eric took a picture of the port just to show you that it does indeed have Thunderbolt.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

quark613

quality posts: 11 Private Messages quark613

The non-glare display is only available in the 15" MBP and costs extra. For those of us who cannot abide glossy displays, it's worth it, and more important than retina. (The MB Air is less reflective than the glossy MBP's.)

djames42

quality posts: 10 Private Messages djames42

As always, the spec whores will come out saying they can buy brand X for half the price. At the risk of dragging out another old cliché, a Subaru WRX is half the price of a European luxury sport sedan and it'll quite possibly get you from point a to point b a little faster. But it will also be less comfortable, have more noise, and less class.

I have this machine (including the HD matte display) - bought it brand new for nearly twice as much as this one's going for. Best laptop I've owned. Honestly, the only thing that ever crashes on it? Windows 7 when running in a VM. And unlike Windows 7, the OS X interface is pleasant to use.

You all keep buying your commodity laptops if it makes you happy. Some of us are willing to pay more for a quality tool we spend most of our day in front of. I've gone back and forth a few times between Windows and Macs since the late 80's. I'm done switching. Besides, I was replacing my PCs every two years. Now I replace my Macs every 4-6 (in fact, I still have a G4 Mini from 2005 running as a media server eight years later), so paying more is a non-issue.

Ishmael02

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ishmael02

Or you could buy a cheaper laptop with 2 SSDs in it and install Linux on it and run everything else in VMs.

sbchandler

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sbchandler
djames42 wrote:As always, the spec whores will come out saying they can buy brand X for half the price. At the risk of dragging out another old cliché, a Subaru WRX is half the price of a European luxury sport sedan and it'll quite possibly get you from point a to point b a little faster. But it will also be less comfortable, have more noise, and less class.

I have this machine (including the HD matte display) - bought it brand new for nearly twice as much as this one's going for. Best laptop I've owned. Honestly, the only thing that ever crashes on it? Windows 7 when running in a VM. And unlike Windows 7, the OS X interface is pleasant to use.

You all keep buying your commodity laptops if it makes you happy. Some of us are willing to pay more for a quality tool we spend most of our day in front of. I've gone back and forth a few times between Windows and Macs since the late 80's. I'm done switching. Besides, I was replacing my PCs every two years. Now I replace my Macs every 4-6 (in fact, I still have a G4 Mini from 2005 running as a media server eight years later), so paying more is a non-issue.

Your post was a little condescending. A lot of people buy PCs for very valid reasons.

For me it's not a matter of money, it's a matter of tool. I can't do things like "ping /t", "pconfig /all or /release or /renew" and just tons and tons of other things and tons and tons of other program choices.

Don't get me wrong. I have and still do love my Macs. But the PC is a better tool for me and for lots of other people.

Heck a Mac is like a Porsche. Porsche makes a great car and even a good SUV. But I live down a dirt road on 14 acres that needs mowing, mulching and tons of other work. As good as a Porsche is a Ford pickup truck is a better decision for me.

ychia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ychia
lassow wrote:significantly outdated laptop for over $1400?

Yeah I got one of these brand new for $1800... a bit over 2 years ago.

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

Yeah this laptop has 2 year old tech. Notice it had HD3000 integrated graphics. That means it has a Sandy Bridge CPU which is a 2nd gen Nehalem (i3/i5/i7) chip.
3rd gen is Ivy Bridge and in a month or two the 4th gen will be released, called Haswell.

Basically this is overpriced as Apple stuff always is, though the difference in CPU power between Sandy/Ivy and Haswell is minimal, it's mostly integrated graphics improvements and higher clock speeds sometimes.

eqquantumcat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eqquantumcat
ThunderThighs wrote:UPDATE
We're checking on the problem with our photo vs the specs vs the model number. Wonderful Eric is heading to the office to check everything again in person.

UPDATE 2
This model has Thunderbolt.
Looks like we grabbed an old photo.
Eric took a picture of the port just to show you that it does indeed have Thunderbolt.

On a side note, Eric will be coming in a bit late tomorrow.

alkaloid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alkaloid
sbchandler wrote:
For me it's not a matter of money, it's a matter of tool. I can't do things like "ping /t", "pconfig /all or /release or /renew".

Since MacOS is natively a flavor of Linux, you may want to look into running "ping" and "ifconfig" in a terminal window. You don't use the same command line switches, but both do the same thing as a Windows box.

In fact, the power granted to a user via the CLI on a Mac is the same as any Linux machine, but it had myriad software options. The only place it's lacking is in games, but who plays non-Blizzard products anyway???

DreamTheEndless

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DreamTheEndless
sbchandler wrote:For me it's not a matter of money, it's a matter of tool. I can't do things like "ping /t", "pconfig /all or /release or /renew" and just tons and tons of other things and tons and tons of other program choices.

You don't want a mac because you don't know how to configure networking on it? That's just plain silly. OS X is Unix. You can configure the network from the gui in system preferences, or from the Unix command line.

*And before you start, yes, I said Unix, not Linux, because it's Unix and not Linux.

alanhoyle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alanhoyle

I have this machine, matte included, with a couple factory (SSD) and aftermarket upgrades (2x RAM, DVD replaced with HD). Great laptop if you want something with a big, matte screen with some horsepower and want OSX. I've had no problems with mine.

The lack of USB 3 slows down external drives a bit, but that's about my only complaint. You can use FW800, for a bit more speed, but enclosures or complete drives with that are pricier.

The rMBP makes the current new equivalent a much worse value proposition and should only be considered if you can't live without a matte display. (Current coatings make the glossy not as big of a disadvantage on the rMBP, IME,IMO.)

whitehatsforhire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whitehatsforhire

Yes while Macs may be a bit more expensive they are totally worth it.

I have noticed as I upgrade my kids' mac books to pros that they have an incredible resell value(the macs not the kids). Try to sell a used PC and you practically have to pay someone to take it.

You must not be holding your face right.

mb93234

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mb93234
alkaloid wrote:Since MacOS is natively a flavor of Linux, you may want to look into running "ping" and "ifconfig" in a terminal window. You don't use the same command line switches, but both do the same thing as a Windows box.

In fact, the power granted to a user via the CLI on a Mac is the same as any Linux machine, but it had myriad software options. The only place it's lacking is in games, but who plays non-Blizzard products anyway???

While you got the command names right, Mac OS X is a form of Unix, not Linux. The kernel is based off of Mach and a lot of the system tools and components are pulled from FreeBSD.

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo
lassow wrote:The specs list a 'Thunderbolt' port, but the image shows the older 'Displayport'

[MOD: It has Thunderbolt. Image was wrong and has been removed. See my post below.]

The Thunderbolt port IS a mini-display port as well.

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
sbchandler wrote:Your post was a little condescending. A lot of people buy PCs for very valid reasons.

For me it's not a matter of money, it's a matter of tool. I can't do things like "ping /t", "pconfig /all or /release or /renew" and just tons and tons of other things and tons and tons of other program choices.

Don't get me wrong. I have and still do love my Macs. But the PC is a better tool for me and for lots of other people.

Heck a Mac is like a Porsche. Porsche makes a great car and even a good SUV. But I live down a dirt road on 14 acres that needs mowing, mulching and tons of other work. As good as a Porsche is a Ford pickup truck is a better decision for me.

Nice.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

What's with the double offers yesterday (here, and at T&G).

Is this something new we should expect?

[MOD: The second deal is a "Cash Grab". We put those up when the first sale sells out early in the day.]

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

If I were considering trying an Apple product, a deal like this one would probably be ideal: a well-reviewed item, pretty well-stacked, at a reduced (though not amazing) price.

Discounts on Apple's products are not widely available and are usually not knock-your-socks-off bargains.

Having recently made something of a commitment to Android products supplementing my PC stuff, I'm not up for exploring a new platform right now.

But I haven't seen anything in any of the posts that would discourage me from buying this deal if the timing were better for me.

cameronpurdy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cameronpurdy
sbchandler wrote:For me it's not a matter of money, it's a matter of tool. I can't do things like "ping /t", "pconfig /all or /release or /renew" and just tons and tons of other things and tons and tons of other program choices.

After spending a few days a year "fixing" my mom's PC -- basically using my vacation time to clean the malware off of her PC that I could have been spending with my parents -- I bought her a Mac. I added Parallels and Windows for the few applications that she needed to run that would only run on Windows. I bought the $99 "go to the apple store any time you want for lessons" option. She hasn't needed my help since.

Best money I ever spent.

paulneibarger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paulneibarger
lassow wrote:significantly outdated laptop for over $1400?

Agreed, no USB 3. This is a old OS X Lion laptop that is priced way to high!

kpujals

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kpujals

I agree with you 100%! Couldn't have said it better! Except my PCs weren't even lasting 2 years! I've been on a plain jane, bottom of the line Macbook for over 5 years and NEVER had a crash. I recently bought a new MBP but only because I really wanted it My old MB is still reliable as ever! As is true with most everything, you get what you pay for!

tallguy425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tallguy425

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back. Great computer, but i'd upgrade it to a SSD and 16 GB of Ram. It can be done yourself and much cheaper then going though Apple.

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5
djames42 wrote:As always, the spec whores will come out saying they can buy brand X for half the price. At the risk of dragging out another old cliché, a Subaru WRX is half the price of a European luxury sport sedan and it'll quite possibly get you from point a to point b a little faster. But it will also be less comfortable, have more noise, and less class.

Apple builds a quality product, no doubt. Unfortunately it is not a good value for the money spent. They easily charge twice the price of upgrades. I didn't drink the Apple Kool aid, so I will pass.

frogpelt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogpelt
sbchandler wrote:Your post was a little condescending. A lot of people buy PCs for very valid reasons.

I don't disagree with the sentiment of your post. There are excellent reasons to not buy a Mac.

However, it shows some ignorance on your part to think that you can't "ping" from a Mac. Just open the terminal (just like running a command window). Ping on a mac is automatically indefinite so no need for the /t option.

As for /release /renew, it isn't accomplished in this exact same way as on a Windows box but it is certainly possible: http://superuser.com/questions/86956/release-renew-ip-address-via-terminal-in-os-x

Mac OS X is built on UNIX, meaning many of the same commands that are run from the Terminal on a lot of web servers (Linux is a popular OS choice for servers) can also be used on a Mac.

Macs are not toy computers.

smcallah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smcallah

The example of ping and ipconfig are a bit strange. You seem to imply that the PC is better because you can't learn how to use ping and ifconfig (not ipconfig) on the Mac?

ping and ifconfig on the Mac (and Unix based systems in general) are much more versatile than the Microsoft copies.

To each his own, but that was a weird reason to point out why you prefer the PC.