WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

That's SO Sony!

Remember when Sony was like Apple? It was the Discman era, and if you rolled into high school with some Phillips Magnavox piece of junk, you were going to get laughed at. Well, those days might be past, but Sony keeps on chugging! Check it!
Sony official site

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS! IS THAT PRICE LOWER?!?!?

Yep, we accidentally had the wrong price on the Sony Studio Monitor Headphones.

They can now be yours for the low, low price of just $29.00. That's one installment payment of $29.00. Don't delay, order processing servers are standing by.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

xxtermin8rxxx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xxtermin8rxxx

I'm sorry to say, but the refresh rates are horrendous. The prices are great, for 2-year old TVs, but 2013 is on the verge of standardizing 120Hz refresh rates, real-motion technology, and slowly, smart/app-filled TVs... save up a little more and go for a 120Hz+ refresh rate (on an LCD or LED), anything that makes the motion of whatever you're viewing look like it's in real-time, or find one with apps installed. (This advice goes out to TV buyers looking for their first LCD or LED TV.)

For a second (or some multiple) TV, If you're going to spend $349/399, think about if you really, REALLY need a second 40"+ TV with increasingly-lower-end specs for the coming years. IF you have the spare cash, do what you will. If you don't, my advice is to SAVE UP.

lkarmaz15

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkarmaz15

I know it's weird, but now that there's no Sony Xperia Tablet P on Woot, I kinda want to buy one...

*sighs*

I don't suppose you have one in the back? Seems like not long ago Woot couldn't give those things away.

extech01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages extech01

I need a tablet for my wife. I looked on CNET for reviews. Editors note:
The Sony Xperia Tablet S has a glaring Wi-Fi performance issue that causes its wireless adapter to shut off whenever the tablet enters sleep mode and sometimes requires a full system restart to get Wi-Fi working again. Because of this (among a few other issues detailed in this review), I've decided to give the Xperia Tablet S a 5 in performance. Sony is aware of these performance issues and says that an OTA fix for the Wi-Fi issue is "coming soon." I'll revisit the tablet's performance rating as soon as its released.

Editors' note update: On September 21, 2012, Sony issued an OTA update for the Xperia Tablet S, addressing the Wi-Fi performance issue. The Xperia tablet S no longer requires restart when returning from sleep in order to re-enable wireless. As a result, I've raised the tablet's performance score to 6; however, there are still problems with the Wi-Fi disconnect policy's implementation.
Anybody have any experience
with this tablet?

traquy

quality posts: 53 Private Messages traquy

I've watched 120hz TV's and they bug me. I hate the "soap opera" quality of the picture. I know, you'll say I'll get used to it but I watched the 120hz TV for 3 weeks while visiting my Mom and it still bugged me. I like our older 60hz TV. Even watching action movies it just didn't make it "better" to me.

amazonianwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amazonianwoot
xxtermin8rxxx wrote:I'm sorry to say, but the refresh rates are horrendous. The prices are great, for 2-year old TVs, but 2013 is on the verge of standardizing 120Hz refresh rates, real-motion technology, and slowly, smart/app-filled TVs... save up a little more and go for a 120Hz+ refresh rate (on an LCD or LED), anything that makes the motion of whatever you're viewing look like it's in real-time, or find one with apps installed. (This advice goes out to TV buyers looking for their first LCD or LED TV.)

For a second (or some multiple) TV, If you're going to spend $349/399, think about if you really, REALLY need a second 40"+ TV with increasingly-lower-end specs for the coming years. IF you have the spare cash, do what you will. If you don't, my advice is to SAVE UP.

Refresh rates are all marketing. Do your research, check google university.

Eratosthenes

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Eratosthenes
xxtermin8rxxx wrote:I'm sorry to say, but the refresh rates are horrendous. The prices are great, for 2-year old TVs, but 2013 is on the verge of standardizing 120Hz refresh rates, real-motion technology, and slowly, smart/app-filled TVs... save up a little more and go for a 120Hz+ refresh rate (on an LCD or LED), anything that makes the motion of whatever you're viewing look like it's in real-time, or find one with apps installed. (This advice goes out to TV buyers looking for their first LCD or LED TV.)

Why on Earth would I actually WANT my TV to make up frames between the frames that actually exist? It looks awful! I only want that if the footage was actually recorded at that frame rate.

theang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theang

I like pizza pie and I like macaroni, but what I love is my first sony!

I like Billy, I like Tony, but what I love is my first sony!

Forever stuck in my head.

testudoaubreii

quality posts: 13 Private Messages testudoaubreii

If the Xperia Tablet S is anything like the Sony Tablet S on sale last year (and they sure look the same), then it does indeed tend to forget settings sometimes (like, stay connected, or don't do anything special when put into the charger), but otherwise it's a nice enough tablet. I use it for Netflix, mainly, and while I occasionally have to quit and restart the program if it's dropped the wifi, it's not a huge issue for me, just a mild annoyance.

That being said, I have no idea what other Android tablets are like so maybe they are better?

xtreemsaver

quality posts: 2 Private Messages xtreemsaver
Eratosthenes wrote:Why on Earth would I actually WANT my TV to make up frames between the frames that actually exist? It looks awful! I only want that if the footage was actually recorded at that frame rate.

I think you two are talking about different things. A refresh rate is how often a video source can feed an entire frame of new data to a display. A frame rate is how many frames per second the film was recorded at. So to put it simply, the refresh rate is just how fast the TV can process the picture signal given. The slower the refresh rate, the slower the TV can process the information. When you have a slow refresh rate you have issues like motion blur and a unnatural robotic looking picture.

scyber

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scyber
Eratosthenes wrote:Why on Earth would I actually WANT my TV to make up frames between the frames that actually exist? It looks awful! I only want that if the footage was actually recorded at that frame rate.

You are talking about two different (but related technology). The ability for a TV to display images at 120hz is a good thing. It allows it to display 30, 60, and 24fps without altering the picture (displaying each frame 4, 2 or 5 times respectively). A 60hz TV can't display 24fps content without distorting it. They usually do whats known as 3:2 pulldown and display 1 frame 3 times, the the next frame 2 times.

"Making Up frames" is a separate technology that TV manufacturers use. This will take the in between frames and make up data between the two frames. This is what causes the so-called "soap opera" effect. Most TVs include the ability to turn this off though.