mkentosh

quality posts: 310 Private Messages mkentosh

We have 2 of these, the battery life is incredible.

hoppon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoppon

Will this sync with my Sony Beta-Max? I have some old movies that are getting kind of grainy and need to get transfered to digital !!

zufhaus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zufhaus

my husband has this exact model, i have the prior generation, paid about $100 new 2+ yrs ago. i believe sony is no longer making anything in the walkman line.

they are very easy to operate, have excellent sound quality, and we have had zero complaints or glitches. it is about the size of a business card but thicker, obviously. feels nice in the hand. the 9 menu icons are simple and intuitive. holds a charge very well. the lock feature keeps it from turning on in your purse or pocket and draining the battery.

i was surprised how quickly i used up 8g of space, and frequently have to juggle things off when i purchase new music. this to me is the only downside. wish it was 16g, but i'm sure i'd fill that up eventually too.

it WILL play iTunes music files and list them in the on-board menu, but when you connect to your PC to add/arrange your music, those files are not visible in Windows Media Player and cannot be added to any custom playlists. i don't use iTunes at all now, partially for that reason.

i bought a 4gb sansa clip (woot) for my 9yr old son to use and i personally found the on-board menus nightmarish to navigate. my son stopped using it and it sits in my jewelry box unused now. it's tiny and cute, but the convoluted navigation makes it useless to me. i do wish the walkman had the sansa 'favorite track' feature.

i'm buying one today for my son, to replace the sansa.

Lbug

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lbug
kehylehr wrote:I have a large collection of audio book CDs. No problem to rip, install, remove and replace from this player. [...]

If you turn it off in the middle of a track, does it remember where you left off the next day?

Btw, Sony Walkman MP3 Players are listed as compatible with Overdrive audiobooks (both WMA and MP3), if your local library partners with Overdrive.

knorris908

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knorris908

I bought a NWZ-S545 refurb direct from the Somy store, and it worked great for about a week. Then it locked-up at the Sony startup screen and tech support couldn't fix it. They sent a second one which locked up at the same point before I could even load music onto it, so I just threw it in a drawer. The one that I bought for my wife works like a charm, of course... LOL. I can't recommend a product with that track record, but when it worked, I loved it! On the other had, I still have an old 256MB Creative MUVO MP3 player that works like it was new! (Looks all scratched-up and retro, but solid as a tank!). Go figure...

suebob4001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages suebob4001

Is it compatible with Rhapsody?
My wife wantsa something she can use while mowing...No I am not a chauvinist pig, she loves to mow, finally had to get Toro Diesel...she wore everything else out
Danke

dpwellman

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dpwellman
suebob4001 wrote:Is it compatible with Rhapsody?

It's not listed on any of the Rhapsody compatible devices pages I could find, but the A series was and I expect the E series to have been at one time, as well.

EDIT: reading more. . the first gen E series was. The second gen (which is this ) is not. No Rhapsody support.

Sorry.
-- Bitte

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

drakar2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages drakar2007
thericochet wrote:I loved the idea of the Sansa, but it's very glitchy and I have serious doubts about overall durability. The only thing the Sansa has on this is being able to add a 32gb MicroSD.

Install rockbox on that thing - it opens up a whole new world of useability. Plus, as a previous user mentioned, it allows use of up to a 64gb microSD (though I haven't even filled my 32gb one yet, so for me 64gb would even be slightly overkill atm).

cutawooda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cutawooda
Dragon1291 wrote:With my lovable sansa clip finally giving out on me, I guess this looks to be a good replacement.

I love love love Sansa clips! If I ever see them on woot I snatcha few. Wish they would shrink them back to the original small size.

michael brown

AZLynx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AZLynx
kehylehr wrote:I have a large collection of audio book CDs. No problem to rip, install, remove and replace from this player. Sometimes the files don't play in the correct order. When this happens, I remove, rename and reload the files. Numbering the files - this player plays in the order 1, 11, 12, 13... then after 10 comes 2, 21, 22.... It was not intuitive for me, but also not too hard to figure out.

Have the same numbering problem with my Sansa Clip (a Woot purchase, btw). An excellent solution to this is to number the files starting 01, 02, 03, ... 10, 11, etc. The zero before the first 9 tracks fixes the problem.
Also, some mp3 players use the tag information instead of the track name. With those, naturally, you would need to change the tag information.

AZ Lynx

=^..^=

marksly

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marksly
merlincoyote wrote:Anybody know if this will play audio books?

I checked the Overdrive website for compatibility, and the Sony Walkman is listed as compatible with all formats of audiobooks.

This is making me really want to hit the Buy button. This will give me an option to play all of the audiobooks available from my local library. (Free audiobooks! - great for that morning commute to work!)

sheepdawg81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheepdawg81
merlincoyote wrote:Anybody know if this will play audio books?

Yes. I have an older model. They all play audio books. I use mine for audiobooks most often. It works with Overdrive with either WMA or MP3 files. It should work with any other audio software as well.

This model has the bookmark feature which the old Walkman mp3 models didn't have. Also, the batteries on these last a very long time. I listen to audiobooks more than 10 hours per day and I only need to charge my player a couple of times per week.

Old: My model is an S544. I have had it 5 years. I have since bought a couple of these as gifts for others and they've enjoyed them.

Oh also this one has a universal plug for recharging. It looks like its a mini USB. The older ones (even til some point last fall/summer) had proprietary cables so you had to go to ebay or sony to get a new charger cable if your cat ate the cable or something.

sheepdawg81

Lbug wrote:If you turn it off in the middle of a track, does it remember where you left off the next day?

Btw, Sony Walkman MP3 Players are listed as compatible with Overdrive audiobooks (both WMA and MP3), if your local library partners with Overdrive.

Yes. You will want to put it on hold so it doesn't restart accidentally though. This model includes the new (for Sony) bookmark feature so you can make sure to hold your place.

sheepdawg81

zufhaus wrote:my husband has this exact model, i have the prior generation, paid about $100 new 2+ yrs ago. i believe sony is no longer making anything in the walkman line.

they are very easy to operate, have excellent sound quality, and we have had zero complaints or glitches. it is about the size of a business card but thicker, obviously. feels nice in the hand. the 9 menu icons are simple and intuitive. holds a charge very well. the lock feature keeps it from turning on in your purse or pocket and draining the battery.

i was surprised how quickly i used up 8g of space, and frequently have to juggle things off when i purchase new music. this to me is the only downside. wish it was 16g, but i'm sure i'd fill that up eventually too.

it WILL play iTunes music files and list them in the on-board menu, but when you connect to your PC to add/arrange your music, those files are not visible in Windows Media Player and cannot be added to any custom playlists. i don't use iTunes at all now, partially for that reason.

i bought a 4gb sansa clip (woot) for my 9yr old son to use and i personally found the on-board menus nightmarish to navigate. my son stopped using it and it sits in my jewelry box unused now. it's tiny and cute, but the convoluted navigation makes it useless to me. i do wish the walkman had the sansa 'favorite track' feature.

Sony is still making new products in the walkman line. They have at least 4 different series models. The newest models are even waterproof for swimming!

sheepdawg81

honeybadger12 wrote:No FLAC no buy

Sony offers FLAC on their F model Walkman but not the E series. The F model is for audiophiles.

sheepdawg81

radi0j0hn wrote:I've avoid Sony portable audio products ever since my attempt to use a consumer Discman.

Sony has a problem: they want to make music players and also own the rights to a lot of music AND have too many lawyers advising them.

So they have a history of finding ways to cripple their units to prevent what they consider over-use of music you already have.

With the Discman you HAD to use their software and, when you transferred an MP3 song from your PC, it would NOT play on your PC until you "put it back."

Are they still fooling around?

The only truly glitchy thing with the Walkman is its video conversion process. You have to use their software to convert videos to play on the player. You can still play the music or vids on your computer if they're on your player. I think comparing your experience to this model that has been out nearly 10 years is not useful.

sheepdawg81

tnokken wrote:I bought one of these for my then 8/now 9 year old son last year. My review is mixed. On the negative side, the unit started to malfunction. The "hold" function would become engaged and could not be disengaged. That meant the unit essentially 'froze' on the current settings and couldn't be changed until it ran out of juice. It would return to normal once it recharged, but the problem kept recurring. I just mailed it back to Sony for a replacement. On the plus side, when it was functioning properly, it was great and my son loved it. It isn't compatible w/ iTunes, but it is with Amazon and discs I ripped. Worth a shot at this price.

Did your model have a reset button on the back? It would be the perfect size to poke a paperclip into if present. I had a problem in which my super old model refused to charge. Hitting the reset button fixed its problems completely and it didn't clear out my music and audio files. Give this a try and see if it fixes it.

sheepdawg81

zufhaus wrote:my husband has this exact model, i have the prior generation, paid about $100 new 2+ yrs ago. i believe sony is no longer making anything in the walkman line.

If you have this model, can you look and tell me if it has a reset button on it? It would be a small circle hole just big enough to insert a paperclip. Thanks!

kacivic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kacivic

I have an older generation 8gb Walkman and my only complaints about it are: a) the proprietary data cable connection (which doesn't appear to apply to this one), and b) the lack of an expansion microSD slot. Overall, 8gb is more than enough space for a reasonable music collection, and I'll routinely take off music I don't like or don't listen to as I add new, so it hasn't quite filled up yet. It has been a very resilient little music player, as it's been dropped quite a few times and other than some nicks in the case, just keeps on going. I love that it has an FM tuner, and the battery life is very good.

drakar2007

zufhaus wrote:i bought a 4gb sansa clip (woot) for my 9yr old son to use and i personally found the on-board menus nightmarish to navigate. my son stopped using it and it sits in my jewelry box unused now. it's tiny and cute, but the convoluted navigation makes it useless to me. i do wish the walkman had the sansa 'favorite track' feature.

As has been previously mentioned, I strongly recommend looking into Rockbox - its useability may make you want to start using the Clip again. That or tell me how much you'd ship it to me for ;-)

zufhaus

sheepdawg81 wrote:Sony is still making new products in the walkman line. They have at least 4 different series models. The newest models are even waterproof for swimming!

good to know! i seem to remember a press release last year saying they were discontinuing the walkman but who knows. i may have been asleep. ;)

zufhaus

drakar2007 wrote:As has been previously mentioned, I strongly recommend looking into Rockbox - its useability may make you want to start using the Clip again. That or tell me how much you'd ship it to me for ;-)

*giggle* thanks for the rec on Rockbox - will look into it.

if i decide to ship it to you, do you want it pre-loaded with justin bieber, gangnam style, and that godforsaken DYNAMITE song?

drakar2007

zufhaus wrote:*giggle* thanks for the rec on Rockbox - will look into it.

if i decide to ship it to you, do you want it pre-loaded with justin bieber, gangnam style, and that godforsaken DYNAMITE song?

lol, as long as those songs aren't on it *permanently* we might be ok ;-)

jj2me

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jj2me
sheepdawg81 wrote:Yes. I have an older model. They all play audio books. I use mine for audiobooks most often. It works with Overdrive with either WMA or MP3 files.

I would be careful in making the assumption that this player supports protected WMA OverDrive files. I made the same assumption when I bought my E-475.

I have the following, older 2.0" screen Walkmans, and they all play protected WMA OverDrive audiobooks:
- NWZ-S639
- NWZ-E353 and -354
- NWZ-E463

Naturally, I thought, I'll buy the latest, higher-numbered 2.0" Walkman, the NWZ-E475, and it would also support protected WMA audiobooks. But it doesn't. I submitted a review on Sony Style to that effect, but they didn't publish it. But there's now a published review for the E475 entitled "Disappointed" that says the same.

Granted, my E475 is not the same as the Woot's E374, but the ending number is just the capacity (5 = 16GB, 4 = 8GB), and the first number usually indicates the feature set, where smaller-numbered models (370-series) have a subset of the features of the larger-numbered models (470-series). At least that's how it's been in the past.

thericochet

quality posts: 24 Private Messages thericochet
jiggersgreen wrote:Re: Sansa being gltchy? At last count I have about 20 asst. Sansa clips & Fuze and not one glitch in the bunch.

I've had numerous spontaneous resets or dying requiring me to hard reset the Clip (w/ full battery). I've read in the anythingbutipod.com forums of many others who have had similar problems.

It seems Sandisk is pretty good about replacing them with refurbed units, but I paid only $30 for it and don't want to go through that song and dance since I don't like the interface much to begin with. I tried replacing the FW with Rockbox but wasn't crazy about that either.

tatterbits

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tatterbits
jiggersgreen wrote:Re: Sansa being gltchy? At last count I have about 20 asst. Sansa clips & Fuze and not one glitch in the bunch.

I have had zero issues with my clips either.. I love them.. I also have a fuse I take out on my walks in the middle of the afternoons during the year, in Central Florida. Never, ever had a problem. even got one partially wet, still no issues.

El Marko

quality posts: 8 Private Messages El Marko
thericochet wrote:I've had numerous spontaneous resets or dying requiring me to hard reset the Clip (w/ full battery). I've read in the anythingbutipod.com forums of many others who have had similar problems.

It seems Sandisk is pretty good about replacing them with refurbed units, but I paid only $30 for it and don't want to go through that song and dance since I don't like the interface much to begin with. I tried replacing the FW with Rockbox but wasn't crazy about that either.

Weird. Like many others here, I have multiple Sansas, both the first Clips, the newer ones and a couple of Fuse units. Never a problem with any of them and they're definitely NOT babied.

If this was $10 less, I'd get one out of curiosity.

MommaBeary

quality posts: 10 Private Messages MommaBeary
hoppon wrote:Will this sync with my Sony Beta-Max? I have some old movies that are getting kind of grainy and need to get transfered to digital !!

LOL - I almost fell out of my chair when I read this I was laughing so hard!!!! :D

gulf421

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gulf421

I have a year old 16gb walkman similar to this. I use it daily. I get about 5 hours of battery life. The sound is excellent. I never owned an apple product so can't compare the sound. But you simply can't go wrong with this product. I transfer mp3 files effortlessly from my desktop and laptop. Once it is plugged in, it acts like a regular flash drive. Seamless and sounds great!

El Marko

quality posts: 8 Private Messages El Marko
tatterbits wrote:Never, ever had a problem. even got one partially wet, still no issues.

I put one through a wash cycle in the clothes washer. Forgot it was in my pocket. Still worked!

fartblossom5991

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fartblossom5991

Seriously, who has enough space in their pockets for a cell phone and an mp3 player? If you do, all that stuff in your pocket could be a little confusing to other people looking your way.

drakar2007

thericochet wrote:I tried replacing the FW with Rockbox but wasn't crazy about that either.

I've done a small bit of development on Rockbox, so out of general curiosity, what didn't you like about it? The learning curve can be slightly steep, but I've had a small handful of devices so far which use it, and I find it unsurpassable in the level of control it gives.

EclecticBuddha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EclecticBuddha

I used to be in love with the Sansa m200 series because of its durability and battery life. This is the only one I can find that will let me listen for a full day on a charge and take crazy abuse. I work in a steel mill and its been through the dust, heat, magnetic fields, welding sparks etc. Been I guess 18 months or so and still going strong. I'm buying a backup though.

bhcompy wrote:...bbbuttt that's not a Sansa!

hnrqoliv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hnrqoliv
honeybadger12 wrote:No FLAC no buy

Have fun fitting more than 3 albums of flac on there anyway...

thericochet

drakar2007 wrote:I've done a small bit of development on Rockbox, so out of general curiosity, what didn't you like about it? The learning curve can be slightly steep, but I've had a small handful of devices so far which use it, and I find it unsurpassable in the level of control it gives.

Honestly it may be the fact that I didn't like the way the buttons were used for navigation. It's probably something that would have been impossible for Rockbox to overcome or fix in the first place.

I'm not sure about the Fuze, it may have different navigational properties, but when I initially was researching a purchase I saw that some people didn't like that the album art filled the whole screen while a file played. I'm using these players 95% of the time for hour-plus long podcasts and radio shows so I like seeing as much information on the screen as possible, so that made the Clip the only feasible choice.

That said I bought one of the Walkmans here so I'm hoping it solves my car listening needs. The Sansa was fine when it worked, and it was great in the gym, but I did have problems with the volume alternating between too low and over-modulating when passed through a universal FM transmitter. Even after fiddling with the advanced volume settings. That was another major sticking point.

scray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scray

I see that someone at Woot likes James LaBrie.

Unless that's a stock photo.

darcerin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages darcerin

I have an older version, about 5-6 years old, and I love it. My only issue with it, as someone mentioned earlier, is that if something hits he play button in my bag, I can find it hours later with a dying or dead battery. That said, I still recommend this item!

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 98 Private Messages radi0j0hn
sheepdawg81 wrote:The only truly glitchy thing with the Walkman is its video conversion process. You have to use their software to convert videos to play on the player. You can still play the music or vids on your computer if they're on your player. I think comparing your experience to this model that has been out nearly 10 years is not useful.

Ahem, I was asking if it had changed, and you answered my unhelpful question. Thanks.

I still don't trust Sony audio any further than I can throw them. Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

vermontcathy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vermontcathy

Can anyone tell me if this device picks up where you left off, if you are listening to audio books or podcasts, then go to the main menu and play some music, then go back to the podcast/audio book? My iPod nano does this. I would be a pain to have to remember to actually set a bookmark each time I leave a podcast/book. And yeah, I know the sale is over - I bought one, but now I'm worrying.

thericochet

vermontcathy wrote:Can anyone tell me if this device picks up where you left off, if you are listening to audio books or podcasts, then go to the main menu and play some music, then go back to the podcast/audio book? My iPod nano does this. I would be a pain to have to remember to actually set a bookmark each time I leave a podcast/book. And yeah, I know the sale is over - I bought one, but now I'm worrying.

I was worried about this feature too because that's what I mostly use mp3 players for and luckily it has the ability. The key is you have to put the file in the Podcast folder, otherwise it'll treat it as a regular music file and not remember the playback position. I'm looking forward to receiving it.