12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2693 Private Messages lichme

jamesclaflin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesclaflin

There is something really sexy about this computer.
Sort of reminds me of macbook sleekness. I recommend looking up some youtube reviews to get a look.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3172 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Decent review (3.5 out of 5.0) over at laptopmag.com

xxtermin8rxxx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xxtermin8rxxx

Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i5-3210M (2.5GHz) - Ivy Bridge, dual-core... not bad, performance-wise

13.3" screen, 16:9 aspect ratio... also not bad, but the issue here is the resolution. 1366 x 768... well, it's not 1920x1080 (I believe it's a bit harder to get 1080p screens with a 13.3" diagonal, but I might be wrong on it... I'm not expert on screen.)

Graphics is also an issue; Intel HD 4000 is not bad for everyday tasks, but for the highest specs for gaming, look elsewhere.

Memory equipped is 4GB DDR3 (fixed onboard), but the option is nice to expand to 12GB. Recommended to buy new modules when you can find good deals on them. Extra memory doesn't always help with tasks and programs, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have it available.

Another limiting factor is the hard drive: at both 500GB SATA as well as 5400rpm speed, it's on the low-end of storage solutions.

At least it's got a DVD-RW drive on it... hey, and a multi-format card reader!

Standard Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n wireless, and Bluetooth 4.0+HS (the latest in BT tech, I believe).

WiDi is a nice option, but it's not perfect either.

5h battery life, not bad.

It's got the minimum number of ports for today's tasks: 1 HDMI slot, 2 USB 3.0's, a (sleep-and-) charge USB 2.0 is available.

Another limiting factor: Windows 8, however it IS 64-bit, which is always nice. Just either gotta get used to 8 or get another PC.

Light at 3.8lbs.

Overall, its specs could be had for $400-450. The rise in cost comes from the prestige of the "SONY" branding. SONY has quality laptops, actually, even though they diversify in all sorts of electronics. I'm sure for $550, you can get a newer SONY, or for a little more, get better specs.

elpepe

quality posts: 12 Private Messages elpepe

well it's got a below-average screen and below-average graphics... not to mention an outdated processor...so why is it $550? Seems more like $350 should be the price point.

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii
conanthelibrarian wrote:Decent review (3.5 out of 5.0) over at laptopmag.com

If average is considered decent in todays market.

Invisiblemoose

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Invisiblemoose
elpepe wrote:well it's got a below-average screen and below-average graphics... not to mention an outdated processor...so why is it $550? Seems more like $350 should be the price point.

It's a Sony.

Chic styling, and pink. Build quality is excellent. Magnesium chassis; it's quite light.

If raw performance is all you're after, and form-factor, style, and build quality aren't important to you, then this machine won't appeal to you.

elpepe

quality posts: 12 Private Messages elpepe

widi is a really nice feature... probably the only reason to get this laptop. but you need an adapter for your tv, which is not included in this sale.

something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122453

jamesclaflin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesclaflin
dliidlii wrote:If average is considered decent in todays market.

Average and decent feel synonymous to me. Does the word decent give too much credit for average? Decent seems like the correct descriptor to me.

bparker1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bparker1

For a Sony, this looks like a pretty good deal. And (imo) it's worth paying a bit extra for a good brand like Sony. They are built really well, and tend to be light and efficient for what they do.
Out of all the laptops I and my friends and family have owned (that I know about), the only brands that have never had or heard problems about are IBM/Lenovo and Sony. They are worth paying a bit extra for.
Of course it won't be good as a gaming laptop or as a desktop replacement. But as a small-ish work laptop it looks great. The only things I'd like to see would be eSATA (although most people probably wouldn't use it) and no CD drive (I don't use CDs or DVDs enough for it to be worth the weight, although others may find it useful or necessary).

VeeRay

quality posts: 2 Private Messages VeeRay

I'm leaning against getting this laptop, but only because of the included optical drive (and resulting price and weight). I think the comments in the thread so far re specs are a little more negative than warranted. That's a pretty current Ivy Bridge i5 CPU; HD4000 is the current standard for integrated graphics. i7 and / or a separate or switchable graphics solution is still rather premium. It's nice that the RAM is upgradeable - many computers offered on sale (or in smaller form factors) are stuck at 4 GB. Granted the screen is not exciting, but again it is pretty standard for this range.

Minus the DVD, $75 cheaper and at 3 pounds, I'd get over the average screen and Windows 8 and get me one.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1068 Private Messages whatsamattaU

$549.99 tonight
The Sony support page breaks it further down into the SVS1312ACXP and SVS1312ACXW models. Not knowing which one to pick from the
model choice page
you can pick, but my guess is the manuals are the same regardless, and there are other tabs for other info on the computer on the same page as the manuals tab. If you want, here's the link to the main manual
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/SVS13A2_1312_1512_UserGuide_EN.pdf

shenc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shenc

love the spec, love the design, love the color, and the price!

davidwg98

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davidwg98

I'm guessing the last letter "W" or "P" only specifies the color of the case

whatsamattaU wrote:$549.99 tonight
The Sony support page breaks it further down into the SVS1312ACXP and SVS1312ACXW models. Not knowing which one to pick from the
model choice page
you can pick, but my guess is the manuals are the same regardless, and there are other tabs for other info on the computer on the same page as the manuals tab. If you want, here's the link to the main manual
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/SVS13A2_1312_1512_UserGuide_EN.pdf

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

This always happens here. For the average consumer this laptop would do everything they need and probably a bit more. Not everyone plays games everywhere they go (or at all). This is a well made computer with average specs. The screen isn't "full" HD but most likely you won't care or even notice.

Sony (like Apple) is about brand. The cost is going to reflect that. Stop comparing these laptops to gaming systems or home built systems. Not everyone cares to have a top of the line system or to build their own computer.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

Dang it, this is so close exactly what I have been looking for for the past few weeks - except the Windows 8. I am not sure that the old Cisco VPN client I need to use to connect to some customer sites will work on Windows 8, and not sure I want to spend 500+ to find out...

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple

This is a respectable brand @ a decent price.

Keep in mind it is a 13.3 inch model, so more transportable than 14/15 inch laptops. While this would not be a stellar price for a 14/15 inch laptop with nice design, from a solid brand, it wouldn't be a ripoff either.

This size class tends to be a bit more expensive so if you don't appreciate the small size, look at 15 inch models.

The performance specs of this model will make 90% of its owners very happy for several years.

Don't worry about windows 8 - easy to make it feel like 7 with simple addin software.

But guys better act fast so you don't get stuck with *Pink*!?! ;-)

urslf

quality posts: 4 Private Messages urslf

Hi,

How does it compare to this?
(minus it being a Sony, I know)
http://1saleaday.com/wireless/

bluemaple

urslf wrote:Hi,

How does it compare to this?
(minus it being a Sony, I know)
http://1saleaday.com/wireless/

@urslf, not comparable.

1) it is used (refurb) vs this woot being new.
2) it isn't that great a price for a 15 inch laptop with similar specs - could get new for similar to a bit more $.
3) Acer is not as good as Sony either.

bluemaple

shenc wrote:

love the spec, love the design, love the color, and the price!

nuggy wrote:Price is about $75 above what a WOOT price should be for this notebook.....

@nuggy, Note this is the more compact 13.3 inch size class. The price is decent if you are looking for a nice design in a compact size but don't want to pay $1,000 for a MacBook.

Mogul345

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Mogul345

I've got a Sony ultrabook that's very similar in specs to this. If you feel so inclined to try and crack this thing open and change out some of the guts of it, you're likely gonna have a bad time. The BIOS is totally gimped on Vaios, and they hide everything configurable from you. Super annoying.

bluemaple

Mogul345 wrote:I've got a Sony ultrabook that's very similar in specs to this. If you feel so inclined to try and crack this thing open and change out some of the guts of it, you're likely gonna have a bad time. The BIOS is totally gimped on Vaios, and they hide everything configurable from you. Super annoying.

@Mogul345, I'm a geek too. But, respectfully, 90+% of laptop owners never crack their laptops open other than perhaps to add RAM (that is thru a hatch) and would be oblivious to Sony locking down their BIOS.

kahosea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kahosea
conanthelibrarian wrote:Decent review (3.5 out of 5.0) over at laptopmag.com

Your review link is to an older model of this with different specs and Windows 7...maybe you should phone a friend or buy a vowel before you post. I'm just saying...

NascarDad

bluemaple wrote:@Mogul345, I'm a geek too. But, respectfully, 90+% of laptop owners never crack their laptops open other than perhaps to add RAM (that is thru a hatch) and would be oblivious to Sony locking down their BIOS.

True, but it did also make me stop and think as well, since one of the things I would want to do would be replace the optical drive with an SSD.

NascarDad

kahosea wrote:if you buy a laptop for less than $400 it won't be Sony, it won't have higher than an Intel i3 processor, it won't be a current gen Intel processor with Intel 4000 chipset, it won't be 13 inches, it won't be thin and light, Ect.

Agreed. Been pricing models like this and this is pretty reasonable. Very tempting if I wasn't concerned about drivers and compatibility with old stuff I need for customers (i.e. stuff I dont have the option to upgrade or tweak)

bluemaple

bluemaple wrote:

@Mogul345, I'm a geek too. But, respectfully, 90+% of laptop owners never crack their laptops open other than perhaps to add RAM (that is thru a hatch) and would be oblivious to Sony locking down their BIOS.

NascarDad wrote:True, but it did also make me stop and think as well, since one of the things I would want to do would be replace the optical drive with an SSD.

@NascarDad, understood, but again, 90+% of users...

aliusa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages aliusa

Need a laptop for the wife--no, she isn't a gamer But like most women, she's rough with electronics (she broke her 3rd cell phone this year). As a former IBMer I'm a bit inclined towards Thinkpads/Lenovo's -- so is this guy durable or very delicate?

genericwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages genericwoot

Also comes with Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum, ACID Music Studio, Sound Forge Audio Studio! Those are high end video and audio editing programs used in the professional industry and worth a couple hundred bucks.

Full specs: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/SVS1312ACXW_mksp.pdf

calvecg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages calvecg

I think it looks pretty good for a laptop for the kids (tweeners), but I worry about the Win 8. Can this be "downgraded" to Win 7? I haven't heard much thats good about Win 8 so far.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
kahosea wrote:if you buy a laptop for less than $400 it won't be Sony, it won't have higher than an Intel i3 processor, it won't be a current gen Intel processor with Intel 4000 chipset, it won't be 13 inches, it won't be thin and light, Ect.

You clearly don't know what you are talking about so don't interrupt when the adults are speaking...

What you're saying may be right, but you're being a real Flying Monkeys about it.

Woot! has the best filters :-)

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
elpepe wrote:well it's got a below-average screen and below-average graphics... not to mention an outdated processor...so why is it $550? Seems more like $350 should be the price point.

The processor is 3rd Generation I5. I have this processor on my Asus laptop and it's a very good processor for this price range laptop (passmark close to 4000) Everyone that makes laptops has a below average 1366x768 stupid resolution- you have to blame all manufacturers for that one still being standard for this size. Graphics HD4000, although not great, are fine for what most people in this price range do with their laptop.

I do agree that this is overpriced. I bought my 15.6" Asus for $400 that basically had the same stats, but was refurbed. This should be going for about $450 since it's new and has the Sony name. The Sony name isn't what it use to be but basically it's like owning a Buick instead of a Chevy- not any more than that.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
calvecg wrote:I think it looks pretty good for a laptop for the kids (tweeners), but I worry about the Win 8. Can this be "downgraded" to Win 7? I haven't heard much thats good about Win 8 so far.

This has windows 7 pro, this ones HD is 7200 rpm. Lenovo thinkpad $620
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312087

VeeRay

quality posts: 2 Private Messages VeeRay
gak0090 wrote:This has windows 7 pro, this ones HD is 7200 rpm. Lenovo thinkpad $620
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312087

That is a nice laptop, and I like Lenovos, but it weighs a pound more. Just looking at bargain sites from time to time, it looks to me like the 15.6 inch and 17.3 inch are the ones most frequently and most deeply discounted - people will pay a premium for small and light. The Lenovo being cited is about the same size as the Sony and more in my wheelhouse, but also has the optical drive and same screen resolution, but lots more weight.

bluemaple

gak0090 wrote:The processor is 3rd Generation I5. I have this processor on my Asus laptop and it's a very good processor for this price range laptop (passmark close to 4000) Everyone that makes laptops has a below average 1366x768 stupid resolution- you have to blame all manufacturers for that one still being standard for this size. Graphics HD4000, although not great, are fine for what most people in this price range do with their laptop.

I do agree that this is overpriced. I bought my 15.6" Asus for $400 that basically had the same stats, but was refurbed. This should be going for about $450 since it's new and has the Sony name. The Sony name isn't what it use to be but basically it's like owning a Buick instead of a Chevy- not any more than that.

@gak0090, in fairness, though, this is not a 15.6 inch laptop and it is not an ASUS and is not a refurb.

- 13 inch class tends to be premium priced
- Sony tends to be premium priced (I happen to agree the Sony brand in general is far from what it used to be and even avoid Sony TVs)
- That + new = not a bad price. Would it be nice if it were $50 cheaper? Sure. But $100 is pushing it.

If you don't need-want this compact class and don't appreciate the Sony brand/design then look at a different class/brand of laptop.

BTW, 1366 x 768 isn't as big an issue on a 13 inch display as it is on a 15 inch display.

cage017

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cage017

I'm typing this on a Sony Vaio E series 15.6" with i3 processor. I've owned it for three years and I love it. Best computer I've ever owned.

I can't imagine how much faster the i5 runs. The only game I really play on this is Plants vs. Zombies and it loads pretty fast. I'm also a big fan of the keyboard where the buttons are spaced out. Typing is very comfortable.

I noticed there isn't a number pad on this 13.3 laptop (my comp. has one) but this sounds like a great computer - especially for travel purposes. If this included a Blu Ray player (how come more computers don't?), I would buy one.

smiley1slp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smiley1slp

Can anyone tell me if this is a touchscreen ? If not can anyone recommend a touchscreen computer that has a magnesium or similar chassis not plastic ? Thanks !

thepla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thepla
NascarDad wrote:True, but it did also make me stop and think as well, since one of the things I would want to do would be replace the optical drive with an SSD.

I was just as concerned. I looked at video and it seems you just take out hard drive cover and can easily remove DVD drive and replace by transferring over a couple brackets. I added a second drive for my Toshiba and had to take entire thing apart.

bluemaple

smiley1slp wrote:Can anyone tell me if this is a touchscreen ? If not can anyone recommend a touchscreen computer that has a magnesium or similar chassis not plastic ? Thanks !

@smiley1slp, not touch screen (those tend to be +$75-100 for otherwise comparable specs/brand) but description says magnesium lid. The Sony site might shed some light on the bottom half.

'Wish I needed a compact laptop - this Sony is very nice.

bluemaple

cage017 wrote:I'm typing this on a Sony Vaio E series 15.6" with i3 processor. I've owned it for three years and I love it. Best computer I've ever owned.

I can't imagine how much faster the i5 runs. The only game I really play on this is Plants vs. Zombies and it loads pretty fast. I'm also a big fan of the keyboard where the buttons are spaced out. Typing is very comfortable.

I noticed there isn't a number pad on this 13.3 laptop (my comp. has one) but this sounds like a great computer - especially for travel purposes. If this included a Blu Ray player (how come more computers don't?), I would buy one.

@cage017, I think the dearth of Bluray players is related to the relatively slow sales of Blu-ray Discs. Streaming seems to be taking over.