Watch other ppl try and sell this

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3658 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lets read this review over at dpreview.com

sirhair

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sirhair

Reviews
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-01
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/pentax-k-01-body/4505-6501_7-35163154.html

w00ts:
======
<br>1/21/2008 Samsung 10.1MP Digital Camera<br>1/10/2008 Reebok Precision Trainer XT<br>Heart Rate Monitor with Chest Strap<BR>12/17/2007 Kodak 8MP Digital Camera and Multifunction Printer Bundle<BR>11/17/2007 Miniature Express Train Set 3<BR>4/13/2006 Gyration Ultra GT Full-Size Keyboard Suite<BR>4/11/2006 Xact X-Linx M4X FRS Radio – 2 Pack<BR>1/11/2006 Western Digital Caviar 250GB Hard Drive

RABBIDpanda

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RABBIDpanda

Neat! I was actually just looking at this model!

I'm currently leaning towards a Sony NEX, but I'm liking that this has image stabilization, which is absent on comparably priced NEX models.

garyoa1

quality posts: 11 Private Messages garyoa1

Another review
http://www.itproportal.com/reviews/cameras/pentax-k-01-review/

Pentax makes a great camera. This isn't one of them. Price is decent but not amazing like we're used to at woot.

Wudooeyeno?

gryphonphoto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gryphonphoto

In case you need even more reviews:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-01.html

Pentax Forums also has an in-depth review which might be worth a read.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-01-review/introduction.html

And in terms of deals, this is $50 cheaper than at B&H for the black kit and $60 for the white.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842496-REG/Pentax_15274_K_01_Digital_Camera_With.html

ionoff

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ionoff

Reading a few reviews, the autofocus sucks, the design is love or hate it, but it takes good pictures, ok video, and the best thing is it accepts all pentax lens (analog and digital slr) Image stabilization is on the camera and not in the lens.

Woot, just another form of OCD

madamos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madamos

Its only about 20$ off of the Amazon price. Not really a great deal.

garyoa1

quality posts: 11 Private Messages garyoa1

Yeah, mirrorless which means no view finder. Unlike the solid metal body weather sealed builds of the regular Pentax, this one has a plastic body and no weather seals. Entry level DLSR at best.

(FWIW, I've been shooting Pentax for over 40 years and love them)

Wudooeyeno?

thepackisback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thepackisback

Not bad but waiting for a price drop on the Nikon D5100. Refurb might just be the way to go.

geomez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages geomez

Auto focus isn't the fastest but it has focus peaking which makes manual focus a breeze.

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin

You can get it brand new for under $410 including shipping from one of the Amazon vendors. And he probably wouldn't collect sales tax, unlike Woot. What a totally sucky deal.

[MOD: Only one I see matching your description has one lens. Ours has two lenses.]

vagrant10

quality posts: 12 Private Messages vagrant10
ionoff wrote:Reading a few reviews, the autofocus sucks, the design is love or hate it, but it takes good pictures, ok video, and the best thing is it accepts all pentax lens (analog and digital slr) Image stabilization is on the camera and not in the lens.

I have this camera as well as a DSLR and it's a good camera especially considering the price.

Regarding auto focus, all the reviews were done before the firmware update that has greatly improved the autofocus. It's still not as fast as my k5iis, but it's good. And since it uses contrast detect autofocus, it is not prone to front or back focusing in artificial light like phase detect systems. Now the autofocus on this cam is not something I'd want to use for sports or fast action.

But it's great for a travel camera, snapshots, or a macro camera b/c it has focus peaking.

Picture quality wise, this is the same sensor that is in the Nikon D7000, the Sony Nex 5n, and the Pentax k5. This sensor is known for having one of the widest dynamic ranges around while having very good high iso characteristics (which means low noise in low light). So image quality wise, it is really good.

Ergonomically... not one of Pentax's best. The menu systems are very good though so it's easy to use and to learn.

Lens quality - both lenses are decent, but they benefit from being stopped down and shot a little bit away from the focal extremes (especially 18 and 200). But if shot in their sweet spots, they do very well (for kit lenses). And since this camera handles high iso very well, there's little reason why shooting at f5.6 to f8 wouldn't be possible in most situations.

Bottom line - if you don't need this for fast action photography and you just want a camera that takes great pics this is a really good deal (considering you'll have a lens range from 18mm to 200mm). If you like macros or use old lenses, this camera is excellent for that. Check out flickr k01 clubs - there are some pics posted there that will give you an idea what this cam is capable of.

vplester

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vplester
madamos wrote:Its only about 20$ off of the Amazon price. Not really a great deal.

You are wrong regarding the price. The Woot deal includes TWO lenses, not one. That is a BIG difference. Amazon's deal for $420 does not include the 50-200mm lens. "Abes's of Maine" has a deal that includes both lenses for $439 with free shipping. The fact that Woot is adding sales tax is a deal breaker for me, otherwise I might consider.

bucbaek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bucbaek

I currently own this Pentax K01 and love it. It's not the best camera out there or the best SLR but it's best for every day joe like me. I like the retro design, big, and heavy, just the way I like it.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

With lenses that spend most of their time at f/5.6, unless it has a REALLY high ISO choice that still looks good, this in not the camera for the "gymnasium" shooter trying to get basketball pix of your kid.

Sorry, but you get what you pay for. Wait a couple more years.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

nmumark

quality posts: 9 Private Messages nmumark

Most states require you to submit a "Use tax" when you file state tax returns. This is tax you are suppose to pay on all online purchases.

I'm sure 99% of people don't pay them, but sales tax shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Kirkstone

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Kirkstone

I bought this body from B&H to use with some of my old K mount lenses. I admit I never delved deeply into the menu system to learn what it could do, but I had already discovered that the rubbber cover (mentioned in some of the reviews) covering the SD card slot and ports on the right end of the body would simply not stay closed as I properly gripped the camera. It also felt like a heavy unergonomic brick compared with a traditional film SLR body. It went back for a full refund.

gandalas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gandalas
vplester wrote:You are wrong regarding the price. The Woot deal includes TWO lenses, not one. That is a BIG difference. Amazon's deal for $420 does not include the 50-200mm lens. "Abes's of Maine" has a deal that includes both lenses for $439 with free shipping. The fact that Woot is adding sales tax is a deal breaker for me, otherwise I might consider.

It is only $439.80 with prime shipping at Amazon for the yellow body and 2 lenses. By the time you add in sales tax and shipping at woot, you are probably paying more than that.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-01-40mm-Lens-White/dp/B00740MRAK

Make sure you select the last option, the Yellow Dual Lens Kit.

dfbark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dfbark
thepackisback wrote:Not bad but waiting for a price drop on the Nikon D5100. Refurb might just be the way to go.

I did a lot of research when I got into the DSLR game and for an entry level camera that is loaded with features, you can't go wrong with the Nikon. I started off with a D3100 and was amazed at the quality for the price point.

Nikon D5100 16.2MP Digital SLR Camera Bundle w/DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm Lens -

$499.99 - Refurbished

or

Refurbished $486.95+
New $544.00+

If anyone is wanting yet another review on the Pentax, click here

I've always been pleased with their reviews. Very in depth and they provide comp information with pricing as well. They also have a "Comparometer" for side by sides.

Happy Hunting!

ssratracer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ssratracer

Jeebus!
This puppy is bigger and heavier than my mirrored, w/ view finder Oly E-620, making the whole mirrorless design pointless.

aerodave

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aerodave
ssratracer wrote:Jeebus!
This puppy is bigger and heavier than my mirrored, w/ view finder Oly E-620, making the whole mirrorless design pointless.

It is big for a mirrorless camera, because unlike any other mirrorless interchangeble lens camera (MILC) on the market, it uses the same lenses as the mirrored DSLRs. The downside is that due to the rules of optics, the camera body still has to keep the lens a certain distance from the sensor, and so there's a full-size mirror box for a mirror that isn't there. That empty internal volume adds bulk. The benefit is that you're not stuck with a restrictive set of lenses with a specialty mount (like an Olympus PEN, a Nikon 1, or even Pentax's own Q). Instead you get to use any K-mount lens ever made, which provides nearly limitless possibilities. So, interestingly, Pentax makes both the smallest MILC (The Q) and the biggest one (The K-01) on the market today.

The reason your E-620 is smaller is that it's a Four-Thirds camera, with a smaller sensor. The K-01 has a full-size APS-C sensor, and APS-C cameras are always bigger than 4/3 bodies. Of course, the K-01 has the fantastic sensor shared by the K-5, and might be worth the extra bulk for certain shooters.

For me, personally, it's bulk I don't mind because I'm a big guy with big hands. Having a clunkier camera in my hand isn't bad. Trying to stow it in my jacket pocket on the other hand, even with the "pancake" 40mm lens, is a different story. Instead, I think of it as an unobtrusive addition to a small camera bag or backpack. I can actually carry two cameras in one smallish bag (with my K-7), and a single set of lenses that works on both.

I'm a big Pentax fan, but this camera is honestly not a good buy for someone just looking for a new MILC system. If you're trying to get a camera and a small set of glass from the ground up, there are better options from every manufacturer. But if you already have K-mount Pentax glass, the K-01 provides a great opportunity to have a second body with a smaller footprint, with a terrific sensor, at a cheap price. That's who this camera is really best for.

escapecar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages escapecar

I'm a Pentax guy, but I just don't understand why they came out with this camera. It's mirrorless without being particularly small or light, which means that shooting with a longer lens while framing with the LCD has to be awkward. (This probably explains why it's been discontinued.)

But if this had been bundled with the 50-200 and the 40mm pancake that was designed for it, I might have bitten. It would be a fantastic pocket-ish camera with the 40.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

PRICE UPDATE

Ok, you banana-colored camera loving people, we've lowered the price! That's right. You no longer have to stick out like a sore thumb with a freaky yellow camera.

By now, you know the routine. If you already purchased it, money will go flying back into your bank account, credit card, whatever.

You also know that the buyer is crying over his coffee. Can you make him a bit happier by buying one? Please?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mistryhjm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mistryhjm

Uggh ... I bought the Panasonic Lumix GX-5 that they had last month for the same price but it only came with one lens. Can anybody tell me how this camera compares to that? I am an entry-level DSLR user.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
thepackisback wrote:Not bad but waiting for a price drop on the Nikon D5100. Refurb might just be the way to go.

Skip the 5100 and go straight to the D7000. You can get a killer deal on that for a refurb.
It's the finest non-full sized sensor camera you can buy for the money right now. Probably thus far the best ever made.
The D7100 is awesome, but isn't worth the upgrade/price.

RABBIDpanda

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RABBIDpanda
garyoa1 wrote:Yeah, mirrorless which means no view finder... Entry level DLSR at best.

(FWIW, I've been shooting Pentax for over 40 years and love them)

Can a mirrorless camera be a DSLR? How does it R without a mirror? I thought these were a different breed.

darkmagician1184

quality posts: 8 Private Messages darkmagician1184

Was looking for a step up from our point an shoot, but not fond of the lack of viewfinder.

Now debating between this and the K-30, which according to some websites, is identical when K-30 is in live view. K-30 has the advantage of viewfinder in those sunny or performance theater type situations.

darkmagician1184

RABBIDpanda wrote:Can a mirrorless camera be a DSLR? How does it R without a mirror? I thought these were a different breed.

What I've read, they are referred to as Mirrorless Interchangable Lens Cameras (MILC), they are SL cameras, but not SLR.

eeekdageek

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eeekdageek

I was wondering if this is comparable the Nikon 3100?

gwpriester

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gwpriester

There was a time, a very very short time, when the non-spec "creative" copy was amusing. But it wears very thin very quickly.

If I am shelling out a couple hundred dollars for a purchase, I want to know what I am buying, not what some copywriter thinks is clever. As one of my advertising instructors at Art Center in Pasadena told me many years ago, don't try to be different to be good, be good and you'll be different.

Writing good, informative, persuasive sales copy is a damn site harder than writing pithy prose.

Just sayin'.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle

Nikon is my favorite and I own an older D50 that still works as well as Day 1 out of the box. I've never heard of a bad model from close friends that are either pro-photographers or heavy using hobby-photographers. I know nothing about Pentax to speak of although the name rings a bell. Most photographers are either Nikon or Canon fans. I can only comment on the much loved Nikon's or Canon's.
Last, your lenses are just as if not more important then the camera body.
This price is great if the lenses are quality.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

darkmagician1184

eeekdageek wrote:I was wondering if this is comparable the Nikon 3100?

Give this a read.

but one of the biggest things they make mention of is

Snapsort recommends the Nikon D3100. This recommendation, however, should be taken with a grain of salt since it doesn't always make sense to compare a entry-level DSLR with a mirrorless interchangeable-lens.

What a bunch of reviewers and forum posts have said is that this camera is GREAT video camera (ie for people who like to take lots of videos but some pictures, as opposed to someone who takes a lot of pictures a some videos). While it does take some stunning pictures, most people weren't impressed overall and preferred their [D]SLRs. That said, there were also mentions that MILC (mirrorless interchangable lens cameras) aren't designed for the DSLR crowd, but rather the point and shoot/camera phone crowd, which is used to the live view photography (no viewfinder).

junyo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages junyo
aerodave wrote:It is big for a mirrorless camera, because unlike any other mirrorless interchangeble lens camera (MILC) on the market, it uses the same lenses as the mirrored DSLRs. The downside is that due to the rules of optics, the camera body still has to keep the lens a certain distance from the sensor, and so there's a full-size mirror box for a mirror that isn't there. That empty internal volume adds bulk. The benefit is that you're not stuck with a restrictive set of lenses with a specialty mount (like an Olympus PEN, a Nikon 1, or even Pentax's own Q). Instead you get to use any K-mount lens ever made, which provides nearly limitless possibilities.

Having argued this point endlessly on a Pentax forum, I have to correct this. Any mirrorless system will mount pretty much ANY full size DSLR lens. There are tons of adapter choices on eBay/Amazon to confirm this. Heck, Pentax makes a K-to-Q adapter. This is because you can always ADD distance from the sensor with a spacer, but you simply can't remove it. Any system can mount any lens where the delta between the mount-to-sensor registration distances is great enough to build light tight tube that physically interfaces the systems. Therefore the best that can be said for the Pentax K-01 is that it allows full functionality with K mount lenses (with a caveat)without an adapter. This is a super thin slice of differentiation, since other manufacturers (Sony, Olympus, Canon) make smart adapters that allow full functionality between their DSLR lenses and their mirrorless bodies. And the caveat is, really old/cheap manual Pentax K lenses actually work better on other mirrorless bodies, since Pentax stuck the K-01 with a 'crippled K' mount that requires stop down metering; when used on dumb adapter with a non-Pentax bodies you can simply use the aperture ring as normal; as well as get regular Av autoexposure.

Also, because of Pentax's choice to use a full sized SLR mount, you can pretty much ONLY use Pentax lenses. With other MILC mounts you can use pretty much any mount you can get an adapter for. Which means for instance, that a NEX body can use NEX lenses (all 5 of them!), Pentax lenses, Canon (EOS and FD), Nikon, Contax... That makes for a much larger potential lens library.

I'm not dumping on Pentax; I've used Pentax cameras for most of my adult life. But unless you have a lot of existing Pentax glass, there's pretty much zero reason to buy a K-01 unless it's on a ridiculous sale.

aerodave

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aerodave
junyo wrote:Any mirrorless system will mount pretty much ANY full size DSLR lens. There are tons of adapter choices on eBay/Amazon to confirm this.

What you say is true, and you're not technically stuck with a MILC's proprietary lens suite. But using other makers' glass requires using an adapter which cripples the autofocus or even aperture features of the lens in most cases (especially if it's inexpensive). Alternatively, you can use a very expensive adapter to retain some of this functionality. If those are the choices, then it's not actually an option for most shooters.

The number of people willing to put up with manual focus or flaky aperture control, or spend a ton of cash, just to use a favorite piece of glass on a camera it wasn't meant for is really pretty small. Photography nerds who are willing to do this think they're more common than they actually are. For most casual and even semi-serious shooters, adapters do not represent a realistic option.

madamos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madamos
vplester wrote:You are wrong regarding the price. The Woot deal includes TWO lenses, not one. That is a BIG difference. Amazon's deal for $420 does not include the 50-200mm lens. "Abes's of Maine" has a deal that includes both lenses for $439 with free shipping. The fact that Woot is adding sales tax is a deal breaker for me, otherwise I might consider.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Compact-System-18-55mm-50-200mm/dp/B0077IO5T0/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1366925424&sr=1-2&keywords=pentax+k-01+dual+lens

Amazon has the 439 with both lenses. I misread it when I said 20. Still only about a 10% discount. Not a fabulous deal on what is a discontinued camera.

Racetow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Racetow

Test