WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Vantec Power Gem 3500 Portable Power Banks

How'd this happen!? I was watching my twentieth consecutive episode of Dawson's Creek and my battery went out on my laptop. If only there was a device I could carry with me that would keep my battery charged! Oh well, until then I guess I'll have to actually pay attention to this wedding.
Vantec official site

hummingbird314

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hummingbird314

Pretty much the same price as on Amazon, no reviews though. Looks like it might be handy if I didn't already have other backup power supplies.

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-Power-3500-Bank-VAN-350BB-PK/dp/B009O8SKGA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1366731650&sr=8-8&keywords=vantec+power+gem+3500

msklzannie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages msklzannie

Re: wootbot's description
Unless your laptop is USB-powered, these power banks wouldn't work for that purpose.

Total woot orders: 189
Bag o.f Crap: 12/25/2010, 1/25/2011, 6/15/2011, 11/9/2011, 12/25/2011, 3/22/3012, 4/26/2012

Avarik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Avarik

These look so cool. I already have too many portable batteries though ;-;

sp3arz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sp3arz

Why is the woot desciption false? I wish any main stream laptop could be powered or charged through usb to my knowledge

nikkipoooo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nikkipoooo

Does anyone know if this will charge a Kindle Fire HD?

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown
sp3arz wrote:Why is the woot desciption false? I wish any main stream laptop could be powered or charged through usb to my knowledge

It's false because they copy and paste it from the manufacturer without thinking "hmm we should clean up this marketing b***sh** and provide accurate reliable information to our customers"

Although presumably it was the nonsense marketing that attracted the woot buyer to the product in the first place. Stupid supports stupid.

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown

Why would a 3500mAh battery have 2 output ports? That's like having 2 straws in a test tube. Neither person on the other end is going to be satisfied.

Likewise, if you tried to charge 2 devices at the same time, neither one would end up with a full charge. Even my S2 (which is criticized for having a tiny battery) is 1850 mAh. So yes, this battery could charge my device, but not even twice, so why have 2 ports? You would have the be charging 2 incredibly tiny devices (and not even smartphones). In which case, as a previous comment pointed out, the marketing blurb is entirely misleading (borderline fraud in the case of the laptop argument)

I have the 5000mAh Unu battery (also offered by woot) and it only has one port, which is all it needs. Remarkably, it also comes in a more compact package, which only makes me question these more.

jamina1

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jamina1
countdown wrote:Why would a 3500mAh battery have 2 output ports? That's like having 2 straws in a test tube. Neither person on the other end is going to be satisfied.

Likewise, if you tried to charge 2 devices at the same time, neither one would end up with a full charge. Even my S2 (which is criticized for having a tiny battery) is 1850 mAh. So yes, this battery could charge my device, but not even twice, so why have 2 ports? You would have the be charging 2 incredibly tiny devices (and not even smartphones). In which case, as a previous comment pointed out, the marketing blurb is entirely misleading (borderline fraud in the case of the laptop argument)

I have the 5000mAh Unu battery (also offered by woot) and it only has one port, which is all it needs. Remarkably, it also comes in a more compact package, which only makes me question these more.

In an emergency situation, sometimes its nice to have only a partial charge on several devices, such as a smartphone and a GPS. That way you can call for help and still try to get home.

FINALLY GOT A Bucket of Candycorn ON 9/22/10!