conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3801 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

A few additional pictures over at microcenter.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3801 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

TONS of comments from when this was offered in February

lichme

quality posts: 3120 Private Messages lichme

In case you need it you can find a Replacement Power Supply here. The general consensus on this machine is that it is great for basic functionality (school, basic games, movies etc)

DarkZrobe

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DarkZrobe
jpbay wrote:A similar new system at Costco for less: http://m.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-15-Laptop-Intel%C2%AE-Pentium-2117U-1.8GHz.product.100037493.html

That is nothing like the one for sale. Its a dell and it has a crappy processor.

airspoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages airspoon
DarkZrobe wrote:That is nothing like the one for sale. Its a dell and it has a crappy processor.

It's also $30 to ship, making it more expensive. That dude either works for Costco or s/he doesn't know what they are talking about.

zfeldman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zfeldman

Probably not a bad price, but if you want a warranty, looks like a similar laptop at bestbuy for about $60-70 more (once you include tax).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+K-Series+15.6%22+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Light+Covellite/7687045.p?id=1218858193076&skuId=7687045#tab=overview

wharper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wharper

4 (even 8) GBs of memory isn't enough.

i5 isn't enough.

Hold out for an i7, else you'll be replacing this little toy in 2 years.

russwjohns

quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns

eq5150

quality posts: 6 Private Messages eq5150

The specs say it's powered by the latest Intel 3rd generation Core i5 processor.

The best, however, is the 3rd Generation Intel Core i7 Processor. I'm waiting patiently for a Woot offer to come with that and a graphics card to match it. Used or new, PC or laptop.....it doesn't matter. I just want a nice deal on a computer with modern specs.

LinuxRandal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages LinuxRandal

Can UEFI be disabled, so a different OS can be installed? (some may want Windows 7, others may want Linux)

russwjohns

russwjohns

LinuxRandal wrote:Can UEFI be disabled, so a different OS can be installed? (some may want Windows 7, others may want Linux)

This model group originally came with Win7 options but was "upgraded" to Win8.

awl85

quality posts: 7 Private Messages awl85

Win8 without touchscreen still worth the upgrade from Win7?

STrRedWolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages STrRedWolf

Not even Nvidia Optimus graphics? Bah, not worth it. Pass.

Tominator2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tominator2000
LinuxRandal wrote:Can UEFI be disabled, so a different OS can be installed? (some may want Windows 7, others may want Linux)

I bought a new one from Amazon about last Thanksgiving for $399 and also upgraded the memory to 8gb. Choose the 1.4 quad core. Win7 ran fine and any usual task was almost up to par with my desktop. Upgraded to Win8 and it's mostly eyecandy though my next phone upgrade might be a windows phone that might make it somewhat useful.

I'm dual booting Linux and there are step by step how to's on YouTube.

It is a little heavy by today's standards and battery life is limited to about 4-6 hrs depending on usage, but for the cash I do not regret getting it and would recommend it for the normal user that doesn't need to have the latest and greatest.

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090

I bought this back in February when woot sold it for $399. Mine came with 4gb RAM in 1 slot and an open slot. I still switched out the RAM for a matched pair of 4gb lower voltage, lower latency modules. Unfortunately Newegg doesn't carry these anymore.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211568
I also changed out the HD and used this Samsung 840 SSD 250 gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147186
Between shellshocker deal and promotions, the 2 items cost me a total of about $200. Basically for a total of $600 I have a really fast laptop. The only thing that would have made this better would be better screen resolution instead of the crappy 1366x768 that's been the standard 15 inch laptop resolution for like the last 10 years. Oh yeah- 1 more significant upgrade I did was to install windows 7 on my SSD instead of Windows 8.

gak0090

wharper wrote:4 (even 8) GBs of memory isn't enough.

i5 isn't enough.

Hold out for an i7, else you'll be replacing this little toy in 2 years.

You should realize this processor outperforms some I7, and the architecture designation does not tell you performance-you need to compare benchmarks. This I5 has a passmark of close to 4000 which is pretty respectable for a laptop. Increasing the ram to 8gb is cheap, anything beyond 4gb usually goes unused- if you don't believe me download a widget yourself and monitor it- I still recommend going to 8gb, but anything beyond that is wasted. As far as replacing it in 2-3 years, maybe but who knows. At $400 you can afford to replace it in 2-3 years, but most people won't need to. In tech it's better to have leading edge technology and switch it out more often vs bleeding edge tech switched out less often-the performance margin difference is usually not justified by the cost difference between the two.

jrhusc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jrhusc

I want to get a Win8 machine but I don't do it unless it is touch screen. I've tried the touch screen machines with 8 and I like what I've seen

hydrotheace

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hydrotheace

I've got a similar model to this, just a couple of steps up. I've always owned ASUS laptops and they've always run fairly well. As for Windows 8, its taken a little getting used to, but its easy to use in my humble opinion. This ASUS looks like it would be good for a student or around-the-house use. I would recommend ASUS to anyone looking for a good mid-range laptop at a decent price.

SperkMik

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SperkMik

I was all set to click "buy" on this, until I realized that the card reader is only a 2-in-1. One of my must-haves is the ability to get photos off the XD card on my Fuji camera. Sigh. Anyone have any recommendations for a similar level of laptop with an SD-XD card reader?

gak0090

SperkMik wrote:I was all set to click "buy" on this, until I realized that the card reader is only a 2-in-1. One of my must-haves is the ability to get photos off the XD card on my Fuji camera. Sigh. Anyone have any recommendations for a similar level of laptop with an SD-XD card reader?

I think using a $10 device like this would be easier than worrying about a laptop that can read xD:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-202348-Mausb-500-Reader-Computers/dp/B002RA6WOO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_6

calintz333

quality posts: 0 Private Messages calintz333

It was a good deal and for someone looking for a work computer ONLY this may have worked. That said, I Think if you are looking for a multimedia device (Not necessarily a gaming laptop) for about $50 more there will likely be better deals in the future that include dedicated graphics.