Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2848 Private Messages lichme

Walmart is showing some mixed reviews.

Tralornik

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Tralornik

Some reviews over at Wally world: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-BDP2985-F7-3D-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/21907352

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3465 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Good reviews (3.8 out of 5.0) straight from philips.com

chelseamae30

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chelseamae30

Can you get Vudu on this?

haywardkw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haywardkw
chelseamae30 wrote:Can you get Vudu on this?

Did you not read the Features section?

chelseamae30

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chelseamae30
haywardkw wrote:Did you not read the Features section?

Would it have been so hard just to answer the question? I must have just missed it. Calm yourself.

sigmapinick

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sigmapinick

I bought one of these from walmart about 6 months ago and every time we use it, I contemplate throwing it off of a wall. It is brutally slow and non-responsive. Buy this if you don't have enough things in your life that frustrate you, this will help reach your quota.

surfrdawg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages surfrdawg
sigmapinick wrote:I bought one of these from walmart about 6 months ago and every time we use it, I contemplate throwing it off of a wall. It is brutally slow and non-responsive. Buy this if you don't have enough things in your life that frustrate you, this will help reach your quota.

Is the blu-ray and dvd playback good enough to warrant buying it for 40 bucks though? I have an xbox for all my streaming needs.

mdwyerfoo

quality posts: 22 Private Messages mdwyerfoo

When I was your age, they posted pictures of the remote control and the connectors on the back panel.

'Course back then, the remote controls had wires, and we walked uphill both ways to the outhouse during commericals.

Kerig

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Kerig
sigmapinick wrote:I bought one of these from walmart about 6 months ago and every time we use it, I contemplate throwing it off of a wall. It is brutally slow and non-responsive. Buy this if you don't have enough things in your life that frustrate you, this will help reach your quota.

Thank you, you saved me much time reading through reviews!

ep11365

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ep11365

Very helpful review. Thanks

cantharis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cantharis

In my experience Philips makes crappy stuff, could never compete with the japanese.

wasabi5858

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wasabi5858
chelseamae30 wrote:Would it have been so hard just to answer the question? I must have just missed it. Calm yourself.

heh, I thought your question was a reference to the user data they lost in the office theft...

eastcobbler

quality posts: 9 Private Messages eastcobbler
sigmapinick wrote:...Buy this if you don't have enough things in your life that frustrate you...

Ha! I love reviews that keeps it real.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mdwyerfoo wrote:When I was your age, they posted pictures of the remote control and the connectors on the back panel.

'Course back then, the remote controls had wires, and we walked uphill both ways to the outhouse during commericals.

Just for you, I took these screen sots out of the manual found at the link above in another post

CYA NOTE: I can't guarantee that's the remote you'll get as these are refurbished.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

lotusstp

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lotusstp

And We liked it!

mdwyerfoo wrote:When I was your age, they posted pictures of the remote control and the connectors on the back panel.

Unclemongo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Unclemongo

Is it too much to ask that one of these cheap units handle Netflix AND Amazon Prime? I'm a skinflint, but I wants to watch my movies!

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster

"Use this: if you have at least one functioning eyeball. If you can watch it - Blu-ray, 3D, cable, Netflix, DivX - this thing can play it."

If you have less than two functioning eyeballs, the 3D will not be particularly impressive.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

elveez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elveez

Anyone knows if I can access the movies or music stored on my home computer with this player?

---
elveez is alive

DuggleBogey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages DuggleBogey
cantharis wrote:In my experience Philips makes crappy stuff, could never compete with the japanese.

In my experience, Philips makes stuff that embraces more formats like Divx than any other company. For that they get a big + in my book.

TCayer

quality posts: 9 Private Messages TCayer
elveez wrote:Anyone knows if I can access the movies or music stored on my home computer with this player?

I wonder the same thing. The stats show file formats that it plays- AVI, DVIX, etc. which makes me think it does. MY problem is I have a server over a network, so some devices I've tried will play files from a PC on my network, but not the server's network drive.

djdepen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djdepen
Unclemongo wrote:Is it too much to ask that one of these cheap units handle Netflix AND Amazon Prime? I'm a skinflint, but I wants to watch my movies!

i second this question, but i really only care about netflix. would wifi be enough to stream shows and movies?

phenyx876

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phenyx876

Man, I just want to know if it's a good DVD player. WHOMP.

blinkyfish

quality posts: 4 Private Messages blinkyfish

I'm with the other posters, all I want is a decent Blu-Ray player...I have a Roku box for everything else. Is it even possible to buy a Blu-Ray player without all these apps?

jornk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jornk
TCayer wrote:I wonder the same thing. The stats show file formats that it plays- AVI, DVIX, etc. which makes me think it does. MY problem is I have a server over a network, so some devices I've tried will play files from a PC on my network, but not the server's network drive.

That tells me it can read such files of discs in its drive.

brentano

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brentano

I thought about getting this because it's super cheap and I'm fed up with my current DVD player.

There's very little chance I'll use the wireless much because I already have a TiVo, and there's very little chance I'll actually play a BluRay because ugh, expensive disks.

And there's virtually NO chance I'll ever try to watch anything in 3D.

However, the fact that the 3D technology in it is active shutter makes me think I can't possibly buy it. Even though it's a feature I will almost certainly never try to use, I think it's the stupidest technology ever foisted upon the unwitting public, and feel revulsion at the thought of it sitting in my TV room.

creamer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages creamer
elveez wrote:Anyone knows if I can access the movies or music stored on my home computer with this player?

I don't see anything in the manual saying that it can play files across the network. However: it claims to be able to play files from a USB thumb drive or a portable hard drive. That's good enough for me, as I store videos on portable drives instead of internal storage anyway.

press25

quality posts: 1 Private Messages press25
surfrdawg wrote:Is the blu-ray and dvd playback good enough to warrant buying it for 40 bucks though? I have an xbox for all my streaming needs.

I have the same question. I just need a bluray for playback. Don't need 3D or wifi but I can't justify paying $60-$80 to get a bunch of features I don't need. $40 might be do-able if I thought it would work just for BD playback.

RetiredGuru

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RetiredGuru

A refurb Blu-Ray? Seriously!!!!

RetiredGuru

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RetiredGuru
brentano wrote:I thought about getting this because it's super cheap and I'm fed up with my current DVD player.

There's very little chance I'll use the wireless much because I already have a TiVo, and there's very little chance I'll actually play a BluRay because ugh, expensive disks.

And there's virtually NO chance I'll ever try to watch anything in 3D.

However, the fact that the 3D technology in it is active shutter makes me think I can't possibly buy it. Even though it's a feature I will almost certainly never try to use, I think it's the stupidest technology ever foisted upon the unwitting public, and feel revulsion at the thought of it sitting in my TV room.

I don't see the "active shutter" spec, and I'm confused as the 3D is actually produced by your TV - not the Blu-ray player. The DVD player essentially is a pass-thru for the signal.

Also you WILL need to get to the internet, as DVD players now have frequent updates as the Blu-ray format is still a moving target.

If you have Netflix, you can get Blu-rays for a $2 per month upgrade, and it is well worth it!

Sailnut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sailnut
chelseamae30 wrote:Would it have been so hard just to answer the question? I must have just missed it. Calm yourself.

Will it play a Blu-Ray?

Sailnut

dkinskey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dkinskey
RetiredGuru wrote:A refurb Blu-Ray? Seriously!!!!

Good sir, I'm a bit puzzled by your exclamation. Does this indicate that you find a refurb Blu-Ray to be an exciting buy, or a terrible idea that no mortal should consider in this or the next world.

ediron2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ediron2
brentano wrote:... the 3D technology in it is active shutter makes me think I can't possibly buy it... it's the stupidest technology ever foisted upon the unwitting public...

Why? It's really a matter of choosing to have complexity in the lenses or the TV. Orthogonal polarizers force the projection/backlight system to be much brighter and compensate for the hassle of jamming active-shutter-glasses tech via doing the 3d in the TV. Red/Green is horrible. The 3d tech in the 3DS has viewability (narrow field of view, blur/parallax problems at certain distances from screen) issues.

We ended up with a 3D-capable TV and BluRay unintentionally (bought it 'cuz Panasonic Viera's have good display quality), but I ruled out $80-120 per set of 3d glasses when I looked them up. But the kids keep begging for 3D movies, and when I saw refurb/clearance active shutter glasses for $35, I bought ONE pair. It was ok, with a couple moments of 'WOW' (an interior Notre Dame shot in the 3 Musketeers). What was meh at $100 per glasses set, became $135 for the four we bought. My kids are happy and it is cheaper than a couple trips to 3D movies at the theater. Wreck-it Ralph looks good, IMHO.

And there's little to complain about in Panasonic's 2011 active shutter glasses. Hell, there are perks: light as hell, works over my prescription glasses (YMMV), 60 hour recharge, IHaveNoIdeaWhereTheyHideTheBattery, and a toggle that lets granny with vertigo watch the movie in 2D (sync'd lenses so both eyes see the same frames).

In short, rather than calling it a blight on the butt of engineering, I tried it out and it doesn't suck. I was surprised.

Having said that, I'm genuinely curious WHY you hate Active Shutter and what you recommend instead? Enquiring techies wanna know.

NOTE: MY COMMENT IS ENTIRELY OFF TOPIC AND ABOUT Active 3D glasses, **NOT*** the bluray player for sale.

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234
olcubmaster wrote:"Use this: if you have at least one functioning eyeball. If you can watch it - Blu-ray, 3D, cable, Netflix, DivX - this thing can play it."

If you have less than two functioning eyeballs, the 3D will not be particularly impressive.

Or, if you have 2 working eyeballs but you have alternating strabismus (you only see primarily out of 1 eye at a time), it won't be very impressive either

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster
danwat1234 wrote:alternating strabismus

I love it when you talk dirty like that.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

ediron2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ediron2
RetiredGuru wrote:I don't see the "active shutter" spec, and I'm confused as the 3D is actually produced by your TV - not the Blu-ray player. The DVD player essentially is a pass-thru for the signal.

I'm also not sure a bluray player cares what the 3d glasses technology would be: Doesn't the player just push a high-def SideBySide image down the pipe and let the TV figure it out?

Roinator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Roinator

I bought one of these too and I regret it very much.

If you only watch DVD's or Blu-rays this would be fine. Anything which require more interaction (e.g. Netflix) is terrible!

vjmark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vjmark
Unclemongo wrote:Is it too much to ask that one of these cheap units handle Netflix AND Amazon Prime? I'm a skinflint, but I wants to watch my movies!

That's what Roku is for!

yardman198

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yardman198

I'm in! I have a 3D tv and all I need is a 3D player. the wifi is only a plus, I went on the Phillips site and I downloaded the upgrade patch and plan to install that if I need too. A side note for all you non tech users.. The player has a upgrade option over wifi or lan connection.