Lots of good comments from when this was offered in February

spummerr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spummerr

VERY short bulb life $$$$

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

spummerr wrote:VERY short bulb life $$$$

Are you confusing the bulb warranty with bulb life?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

thomas998

quality posts: 21 Private Messages thomas998

Maybe at half the price, but for that price it isn't worth it I can get a 55 or 60 inch led that won't require bulb replacement for 1000.

randymcse

quality posts: 1 Private Messages randymcse
thomas998 wrote:Maybe at half the price, but for that price it isn't worth it I can get a 55 or 60 inch led that won't require bulb replacement for 1000.

If you're going to make a criticism, at least do some research first. The bulb is $249 on Optoma's site. You can find them for a little less elsewhere.

http://shop.optomausa.com/lamp_data.php?p_no=697

Having said that, I have owned this projector since it came out. Love the features and quality of picture. The 3D is really good. What I don't love is the build quality and how Optoma handles the warranty. I have had several failures with Optoma projectors and they have a lackadaisical attitude about repair. The Dell projector I had prior to them failed once and they offered cross-shipping if I was willing to put up a credit card as insurance.

cathammer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cathammer

This one and some competing models, along with reviews:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/top-3d-projectors.htm

blipper67

quality posts: 7 Private Messages blipper67

Get an Epson LED FP. Best warranty and service in the industry, super quiet. I use mine as a regular TV and the lamps last forever. Got over 4,000 hrs. on one. When you compare the image quality on a 110" diagonal with what you would have to pay for bulky set, it's a no brainer. Lamps cost around $200, but be sure and get a factory OEM lamp, NOT a knockoff. Knockoffs do not last.

cafink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cafink
randymcse wrote:If you're going to make a criticism, at least do some research first. The bulb is $249 on Optoma's site. You can find them for a little less elsewhere.

Thomas wasn't saying that the bulbs cost $1000, he was saying that he could get a 50- or 60-inch LED (which doesn't require bulb replacement) for that price.

chadness

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chadness

I had been planning on getting this, but they just released the HD-25LV that has a much better contrast ratio, and a brand new one is only a few hundred more than this refurb.

anilpillai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anilpillai

I am sure this is cracking good - but my experience has all been with Mitsubishi projectors, and boy they are built to last - with an exemplary picture too. I have a 720p from about 5 years ago, that I use for gaming and movies - and the picture is still amazing after about 3000 hours, and not a hiccup yet. The other reviewers from Amazon seem to agree.

Again, did not want to hijack the thread - but wanted to mention this choice as well

danlee00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danlee00

The 1080p 3D Benq W1070 is $975 NEW from Amazon, brighter, and has longer lamp life.

I have a W1070 and would highly recommend it. It is hard to beat for the money.

spummerr

Lamp Life and Type:

4000/3000 hours (STD/bright) 230W Osram

That's not much for a bulb.

ThunderThighs wrote:Are you confusing the bulb warranty with bulb life?

spummerr

The Benq 1070 new is $1000
I've read nothing but great reviews of that projector.

IMO better deal than this refurbed unit

cathammer wrote:This one and some competing models, along with reviews:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/top-3d-projectors.htm

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione

Back to this projector - am I right in thinking I'll have to buy the glasses separately? And do I need to buy a screen, or will a cream semi-matte painted wall do the trick?

dwijster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwijster

After exhaustive research I bought the HD33 Last year just in time for the Superbowl. ProjectorCentral gave this an Editor's Pick which means it is one of the best in its category. I have a 150" HD Screen that we use as our main display. This is by far the best projector I have ever owned. The quality of the image and the true 1080P 3D picture is amazing. I have clocked over 2000 hours on it and the bulb is going strong. I paid around $1500 for it but it was still worth it. Good luck finding a 150" LED TV for under a grand.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

PRICE CHANGE

Hey all, we thought there were too many 9's in the price so we lowered it to $899.99.

As usual, if you already purchased it before the price change, the difference will magically appear back in your bank, credit card, or whatever.

Now go buy one.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

gosh7001

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gosh7001

Perhaps too many 8s too. Maybe 799 or 699 for this to make it a wootceptional deal. 899 is amazonceptional.

ThunderThighs wrote: PRICE CHANGE

Hey all, we thought there were too many 9's in the price so we lowered it to $899.99.

As usual, if you already purchased it before the price change, the difference will magically appear back in your bank, credit card, or whatever.

Now go buy one.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
spummerr wrote:VERY short bulb life $$$$

I've never had a problem with my bulb. Follow the instructions for usage (let it cool down, don't turn it on and off constantly, etc) and you should get great bulb like. Bulbs are as cheap as $150 these days. I put over 5000 hours on my last Optoma HD70, I currently have a about a thousand on my HD33.

This HD33 is a great projector, and for this price pretty good bang for the buck.

theguruguys

spummerr wrote:The Benq 1070 new is $1000
I've read nothing but great reviews of that projector.

IMO better deal than this refurbed unit

They are slightly different categories, the HD33 is more of a home theater room projector, the 1070 is more of a living room projector (much brighter). That being said, most consumers would be very happy with either projector in either environment.

theguruguys

spummerr wrote:Lamp Life and Type:

4000/3000 hours (STD/bright) 230W Osram

That's not much for a bulb.

That is pretty average in the industry for a projector bulb.

alien98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alien98

Would possibly sell more if you could actually buy one. The buy now link is dead

sixline

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sixline
theguruguys wrote:They are slightly different categories, the HD33 is more of a home theater room projector, the 1070 is more of a living room projector (much brighter). That being said, most consumers would be very happy with either projector in either environment.

Are you saying that the benq is good for theater and living room but this optoma would not be good in a living room because it doesn't have the brightness? I have the benq and chose it over this for my home theater and am not at all disappointed. I think the consensus is that the 1070 performs as well as a lot of projectors in the $1500 range.

I agree with the previous poster that a new w1070 is a better choice than a referb optoma at this price. The only downside is the black level, but this optoma is probably same level. Should not expect inky blacks at under $2k.

Before anyone pulls the trigger on this would suggest reading through the owner threads on avsforums.com

fusionfactory

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fusionfactory

I had one for a few days. Lots of rainbow effect with this one, which was disappointing since I'd had an h66 optoma for years before that without any issues.
I bought an Epson 8350 and it's miles ahead of this one.

Holysin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Holysin
fusionfactory wrote:I had one for a few days. Lots of rainbow effect with this one, which was disappointing since I'd had an h66 optoma for years before that without any issues.
I bought an Epson 8350 and it's miles ahead of this one.

In fairness this one is 3D and the 8350 is just 2D. That said, if I were in the market for a PJ, I'd get a refurbed 8350 (easily had from epson direct refurbed for < $900 with a standard multi year warranty....) as the epson 3d units have a fair amount of input lag and I game more than I ever plan to watch 3D movies...

Anyone know what the input lag is like on this unit?