WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Home Theater Shtuff

We keep selling home theater equipment and people keep buying it, but we do worry that at some point everybody who wants a home theater will have built one. It's a mathematical certainty, right? Well, here's hoping that day isn't today. 

brendan948725

quality posts: 39 Private Messages brendan948725

Has anyone seen that ridiculous picture of the Onkyo 5.1 system?? Who in the right mind would put their surround speakers on the wall in behind the TV???? And right above their Left and Right channels??? lolwat???

Good deal, though. But seriously.

*MOST RECENT WOOTS!*

• Random Crap
  • Light Blocking Curtains and Rod
  • HP Deskjet Wireless

• 20 Woots! (5 Bungled Original Communicator)
  • 27 Shirts!
  • 5 Sellouts!
  • 2 Homes!
  • 1 Sport!
  • 2 Techs!
  • 1 Wine!
  • 1 Accessories!
  • 2 Pops!

slimsmith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slimsmith
brendan948725 wrote:Has anyone seen that ridiculous picture of the Onkyo 5.1 system?? Who in the right mind would put their surround speakers on the wall in behind the TV???? And right above their Left and Right channels??? lolwat???

Lots of people in their right mind. This kind of speaker placement is accepted in setups like Audyssey DSX, or pretty much any 9.1 surround scheme (I realize the Onkyo system being sold is only 5.1). Seriously.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FxfSYZsmO1T/learn/learningcenter/home/speaker_placement.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5845126_lay-9_1-home-theater-speaker.html

masshuum

quality posts: 19 Private Messages masshuum
brendan948725 wrote:Has anyone seen that ridiculous picture of the Onkyo 5.1 system?? Who in the right mind would put their surround speakers on the wall in behind the TV???? And right above their Left and Right channels??? lolwat???

That's called a front high setup. It's quite popular with 7.1, 7.2, 9.1, 9.2 setups, for instance. (some prefer it with 5.1 and just ditching the surrounds, but that is less popular)

It's actually awesome. Especially for now since movies are only just starting to widely use 7.1. If you're watching a 5.1 movie those back surrounds are being wasted because no sound will be going to them. (unless you fudge the settings) So, you put them in front and add a dimension to your sound. It makes plane flyovers seem much more real, for instance.

Makes quite a difference and it's not as room consuming has having back surrounds. It shines best with gaming.

If you want to make fun of something in the pic, by all means attack the placement of the center speaker.

mybestuser1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybestuser1

While I would never do that unusual set-up, it looks like it would work. Traditional 5.1 set-up is what I have at home.

Nothing is free but if you are lucky it can be inexpensive.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
masshuum wrote:That's called a front high setup. It's quite popular with 7.1, 7.2, 9.1, 9.2 setups, for instance. (some prefer it with 5.1 and just ditching the surrounds, but that is less popular)

Makes sense. If you just delay it properly, it can sound like it's coming from the rear channels. That's what Bose does with their small footprint setups, I guess.

move along

DennisG2010

quality posts: 19 Private Messages DennisG2010

The Monster Performance Maximizer DOES NOT join two cables together.

It does not have two open ends as the picture implies, it has one female end and a short integrated cable with a male end.

For some reason, Woot refuses to correct the product description or provide proof that it is correct.

[TT - What? You didn't think I'd be watching and waiting for this to pop up again? I have no life. : P]

angrynerdgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angrynerdgirl

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Sharp HT-SB600? I keep seeing it on woot, and am tempted to get one for my bedroom. Sadly, there isn't any useful feedback on the AVS forums.

shminkshmink

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shminkshmink
angrynerdgirl wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on the Sharp HT-SB600? I keep seeing it on woot, and am tempted to get one for my bedroom. Sadly, there isn't any useful feedback on the AVS forums.

I have the Sharp unit and for the money...I think it is great. You will not find this many HDMI inputs on a sound bar of this quality for this price. It rocks my bedroom.

madden101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madden101
DennisG2010 wrote:The Monster Performance Maximizer DOES NOT join two cables together.

It does not have two open ends as the picture implies, it has one female end and a short integrated cable with a male end.

For some reason, Woot refuses to correct the product description or provide proof that it is correct.

[TT - What? You didn't think I'd be watching and waiting for this to pop up again? I have no life. : P]

If that's the case, then how are they able to advertise that you can create a run of 180 ft? Does that require a 179.5 ft Monster cable (probably with a list price of $your firstborn)? Or two 90 ft Monster cables ($500 each) with a Monster HDMI female-to-female adapter ($125)?

Not that I'm even remotely considering getting this. I'm just confused why it's a thing, and why Monster (originally) wanted $150 for it (other than the obvious, 'They're Monster').

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj
DennisG2010 wrote:The Monster Performance Maximizer DOES NOT join two cables together.

I'd love to get someone from Woot to confirm this. I did some research and all I can find is Monster claiming it does connect two HDMI cables. A monster press release (available at http://www.monstercable.com/press/viewpress.asp?Article=129) reads:

In today’s custom installed home entertainment systems, it just isn’t feasible anymore to expect a 2- or 4-meter HDMI cable to be long enough for all applications. In many applications, HDMI cables need to be 75-, 100- or even 150-feet to meet the needs of today’s high definition enthusiast. Yet cables that long will not carry the HD signal at a high enough resolution. Over longer cable runs, high-bandwidth HDMI signals are prone to signal attenuation and timing errors, referred to as “jitter,” which can cause aberrations in the picture, from streaks and flashing pixels to inaccurate color. Over long runs HDMI cables need an extra boost. The Monster Performance Maximizer for HDMI is the solution – it’s designed to extend a 1080P signal up to 200 feet for improved resolution. It also includes an optional external 5-volt power supply to power the circuitry.

The Monster 1080p Performance Maximizer can even securely couple two HDMI cables together and provides state-of-the-art in-line amplification and equalization for maximum HD performance, making it easy to enjoy the best in HD picture and sound in virtually any room in the house. This product is designed to hold cables connected to it to insure a reliable connection. Since HDMI connectors have no locks, Monster has designed the Performance Maximizer to hold the connector firmly in place. The Maximizer features 2 LEDs to help trouble shoot the HDMI connection. One LED indicates connectivity, another LED indicates data transmission.

Eh... probably easier to get a $2 female-to-female connector from Meritline anyway since I don't have 175" of cable to connect.

DennisG2010

quality posts: 19 Private Messages DennisG2010

The item I received also did not include an external power supply.
Nor was there any way I could see to connect a power supply.
It did have power and status LEDs, but I assumed it received power through the cable.

Here's the back of the box of what I received:

Woot theorized that they had sent me the wrong item, but it has the same name on the box as what they're advertising and they were unresponsive to requests to verify that they have anything different from what they sent me.

everett0123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages everett0123

Has anyone had luck with the samsung blu-ray?

echofuzz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages echofuzz
angrynerdgirl wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on the Sharp HT-SB600? I keep seeing it on woot, and am tempted to get one for my bedroom. Sadly, there isn't any useful feedback on the AVS forums.

we got the Sharp system about a week ago. i like it, but was surprised at the size of the receiver and subwoofer. (i should've checked the dimensions better.)

if you're a person who likes to fine tune the sound, it might frustrate you. there's very little tweaking the user can do.

when i was doing my research regarding the unit, the one repeat i noted was complaints that the fan is really loud. i can hear it when the music/tv gets quiet but i don't find it particularly loud or bothersome.

for the money, though, i'm very happy with it so far.

eggrob

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eggrob
everett0123 wrote:Has anyone had luck with the samsung blu-ray?

I have had two of these, and found them to be dogs. Frustratingly slow with a clunky apps interface. One of them would not work with my AV receiver and kept blacking out the picture.

Woot frequently sells refurbs of these, making me wonder why so many available. Based on my experiences, smart money is on the fact that they frustrate a lot of people. Whenever they go on the block, you'll see a lot of negative comments, and some good ones. I finally got a well-reviewed Panasonic and it works great.

rgicenog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgicenog

Does anybody know anything about the LG Blu Ray player?