Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2943 Private Messages lichme

4 Star Avg of 160 Reviews on amazon

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3537 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of comments from when this was offered in February.

quartermane

quality posts: 6 Private Messages quartermane

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Powerline-Wall-Plug-Adapter-PLA4215/dp/B006KSLIQG

4 stars @ amazon with 160 reviews. $89.99

doomtothee

quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

These are AWESOME. Avoid running new wires, use the ones you already have!

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

spizmar

quality posts: 11 Private Messages spizmar

How does this push 500 mbps through a 65 MHz channel? Shannon's law, anyone?

dudeofmoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dudeofmoose

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Powerline-Wall-Plug-Adapter-PLA4215/dp/B006KSLIQG

One of the reviews noted that these do not work across phases... so if one plug is on one phase, and the 2nd plug is on another phase... no worky. I suppose you could go into your breaker panel and switch one of the breakers... or get a wireless bridge...

goowokjai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goowokjai

62.45 is for one, 89.99 for a pair. I have these and it works for your wifi dead spots. I used it to make an older router an access point in my backyard so I can surf while sitting on the patio.

dudeofmoose wrote:Its 62.45 on Amazon... HUH? http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Powerline-Wall-Plug-Adapter-PLA4215/dp/B006KSLIQG

One of the reviews noted that these do not work across phases... so if one plug is on one phase, and the 2nd plug is on another phase... no worky. I suppose you could go into your breaker panel and switch one of the breakers... or get a wireless bridge...

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

I'm holding out for this set:

More useful for my home theater setup. Seems like everything in my home theater connects to the internet.

anthonyhiga

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anthonyhiga
spizmar wrote:How does this push 500 mbps through a 65 MHz channel? Shannon's law, anyone?

I doubt they are using the regular power line frequency to transmit data. You would find the power in your house doing weird things if it did. More than likely what it really does is send higher frequency signals through the lines at lower power. This is called Multiplexing. (Actually DSL uses the same principals, it's why you have to use special audio filters for your phones when you use one)

inferno760

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inferno760

How does 500mb gigabit work? As a net eng, trying to wrap my head around that one.

klstrader

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klstrader
inferno760 wrote:How does 500mb gigabit work? As a net eng, trying to wrap my head around that one.

I was confused by this as well but thought it was just me, as this is not within my realm of knowledge.

NewYork

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NewYork
inferno760 wrote:How does 500mb gigabit work? As a net eng, trying to wrap my head around that one.

500 Mbps goes in one, 500 Mbps comes out the other. You just add themn up. Doh!

New York NY

dbcarta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dbcarta

My take on it (assuming this isn't a late April Fool's thing) is that the Ethernet ports are Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-T)-compliant, while the powerline network is IEEE 1901-compliant and so supports a theoretical aggregate max of 500 Mbit. Some of their other gear supports the 500 Mbit spec but has only 100BASE-T Ethernet ports, making the ports potentially a bottleneck.

wootieman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootieman
lichme wrote:4 Star Avg of 160 Reviews on amazon

Price must have dropped on Amazon this morning. Now $67.26 with FREE Shipping! Either a lack of communication with the mother ship or Woot! must be trying to funnel business in the other direction.

Edit: Stupid Me! Price was for one. Just ignore me this morning.

ShyGuy91284

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ShyGuy91284

You know, I never really considered they might just be being honest unlike other companies. There have been and still are tons of "gigabit" products sold just because they have the NIC with no real hope of going past 500MBit...

dbcarta wrote:My take on it (assuming this isn't a late April Fool's thing) is that the Ethernet ports are Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-T)-compliant, while the powerline network is IEEE 1901-compliant and so supports a theoretical aggregate max of 500 Mbit. Some of their other gear supports the 500 Mbit spec but has only 100BASE-T Ethernet ports, making the ports potentially a bottleneck.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

According to this:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/networking/2012/05/25/zyxel-pla4201-powerline-adaptor-review/2

You're realistically going to expect about 70Mbps.

satyenshah

quality posts: 8 Private Messages satyenshah

Because a gigabit is not exactly a billion bits?

Hurricane4911

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hurricane4911

Specs say 2 cables, 4ft...

Those cables look mighty short, must be 2 2 foot.

[MOD: It's correct. Measured by our own very competent staff friend, Eric.]

persp73

quality posts: 1 Private Messages persp73

Just came here to say that I have the 200Mbps version of these and love them. I had various issues with my Roku getting a good wireless signal, and since I didn't want to drill holes in my house I had a CAT5 cable running across the house and down the stairs to the basement, but now I have one of these plugged in at the cable modem, one at the TV, and one downstairs. All of the outlets are on different circuits.

The 200Mbps is a physical-layer speed, so I get about 20Mbps on speed tests, which is sufficient for Netflix and online gaming, but I might upgrade to these if I were streaming HD video.

faring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages faring

Will these work through a surge protector or UPS?

Torrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Torrin
faring wrote:Will these work through a surge protector or UPS?

Nope, they need to be plugged directly into an outlet.

StarWeb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages StarWeb

Buy These!

I missed getting these from Woot last time they were available and bought them for a higher cost on Amazon. They are awesome! The speed on my PS3 went from averaging 3.0 to 4.0 Mb/s on the WiFi to 20.0+ using these and a wired connection.

I can stream full HD movies now and never run into buffering anymore!

scragglykat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scragglykat
prttymf8 wrote:According to this:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/networking/2012/05/25/zyxel-pla4201-powerline-adaptor-review/2

You're realistically going to expect about 70Mbps.

I actually own a set of these (models without pass-through) and I get on average around 90-100Mbps on a single stream, but I have tested with up to 3 things being moved across the adapters and each gets around that same speed. Depending on your wiring and locations, 70Mbps is definitely a good estimate, but you have to keep in mind that it is capable of passing a few different connections at around that speed at the same time.

I'm not sure why individual throughput is limited on these, but I'd venture to say the 500Mbps is a combined throughput measurement and not a single measurement.

As for the others talking about it being labeled a gigabit device, yes that is due to the ethernet ports and not the actual speed of the device. The lower end products use a 100Mbps port which obviously limited total throughput of the device. As I described above, these devices can handle multiple connections simultaneously, so the additional throughput of the gigabit port is definitely used, just not to its full potential.

bongrip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bongrip

can i assume that these wont work if i have to go from one side of the house to the other, which is on a completely different phase/electrical box?

MrbLOB9000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrbLOB9000

I was looking at 500Mbps with gigabit next to it thinking, "You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

tommy723

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tommy723

1) I have an old house. Until I rewire my 2nd floor, all I have up there are 2 prong, un-grounded outlets. Will these work through a ground adapter?

2) Can these be used to connect two gigabit switches together?

irishjoeyo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages irishjoeyo

Amazon has a pair of the PLA4201KIT for $59.99 with free Prime two-day shipping: http://goo.gl/5CCt8

nicklewisx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nicklewisx

These are great - the Xbox 360 could not connect to WIFI all the time so we kept moving the router, bought another and gave up, this does the trick and works great and plugs in the wall. no issues so far.

markrodr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markrodr

I have no idea how these work. Do you have an ISP and this acts as a switch and just transmits you plugging your router to it, and on the other side of the plug you can connect to it for bandwidth? I'm lost.

gludwick

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gludwick
spizmar wrote:How does this push 500 mbps through a 65 MHz channel? Shannon's law, anyone?

You are confusing power frequency Mhz with data speed mbps. One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

gludwick

markrodr wrote:I have no idea how these work. Do you have an ISP and this acts as a switch and just transmits you plugging your router to it, and on the other side of the plug you can connect to it for bandwidth? I'm lost.

You have an ethernet cable from your router to one unit plugged into a nearby outlet. Then the second unit is plugged into any outlet in the home and will get the signal . You then connect another ethernet cable to the receiving unit and whatever device you want to have a network connection.
Prettty simple actually.

gludwick

dudeofmoose wrote:http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Powerline-Wall-Plug-Adapter-PLA4215/dp/B006KSLIQG

Or you could go to Amazon or Smarthome and get a phase connector (plugs into any 220 outlet such as a clothes dryer) and bridges the two phases. Used for X10 and other security sytems that use home wiring to send signals.

cnwinton

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cnwinton

By specification these have to be plugged directly into your house wiring to work. They also provide no surge suppression and reportedly don't work if plugged into a surge suppressor. At least one reviewer has reported losing a router to a surge that came through the 200Mb version of this device, which makes me a bit leery about the idea of using house wiring in this manner. I think I'll pass.

darkchylde13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkchylde13
cnwinton wrote:By specification these have to be plugged directly into your house wiring to work. They also provide no surge suppression and reportedly don't work if plugged into a surge suppressor. At least one reviewer has reported losing a router to a surge that came through the 200Mb version of this device, which makes me a bit leery about the idea of using house wiring in this manner. I think I'll pass.

You would plug the surge protector into the powerline adapter, then all you risk losing is the powerline adapter, or you use the outlet above it if it's free to plug all of your stuff into.

Swampy86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Swampy86

Can you combine more than one pair? If a person bought two sets could you have one as a "base", and three as access points?

lesterhein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lesterhein

I bought two sets of these when they were offered in Feb, and I've been very happy.

Xbox and Blu Ray player were both previously in 'dead corners' of the house and now get blazing fast speeds.

They're a little bulky, and you need to make sure that your power socket is close to whatever you want to plug in. If you have that covered, you're good

Highly recommended.

lesterhein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lesterhein
Swampy86 wrote:Can you combine more than one pair? If a person bought two sets could you have one as a "base", and three as access points?

I have this exact setup. There was no need to run any software or set anything up. I bought 4 of them - one at the router and the other 3 around the house.

No problems at all, and set up in less than two minutes.

lethargicmass

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lethargicmass
bongrip wrote:can i assume that these wont work if i have to go from one side of the house to the other, which is on a completely different phase/electrical box?

Yes, you can so assume. Unless you (a) purchase a phase connector as mentioned in other posts above and (b) have a 220V circuit to use to bridge your two phases.

I love bacon!

ozzallos

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ozzallos

GAMING. What sort of lag- if any -can I expect from these things? Wifi is killing me here so its either run cat5 all the way through the attic or these things.