0%
6%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

matthewjfazio

quality posts: 3 Private Messages matthewjfazio

Why post the "choices" when you can only get the refurbed XLs right out of the gate?

Nevermind-- some weird Firefox issue.

- Matthew J. Fazio

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

matthewjfazio wrote:Why post the "choices" when you can only get the refurbed XLs right out of the gate?

Nevermind-- some weird Firefox issue.

Our dropdown choices do make this a bit weird.

You can get a

NEW TiVo Premier 4

~or~

REFURBISHED Premier XL4

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3920 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Tons of comments from when this was offered in January.

rampman10

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rampman10

Am I correct that this will replace a STB? I would be buying the STB but still have to pay a monthly fee to Tivo?

I am looking for something I can just buy and not pay rent on each month.

Maybe I should look into a whole home DVR if FIOS offers them at least then I only rent one, right? I realize I can buy a lifetime Tivo service but that costs more than the unit.

Are there any other ways to have one DVR with 2 or more TV's?

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

I would advise against the lifetime tivo service. they just don't last that long.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

kiwijaws

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kiwijaws

be aware neither of these support OTA broadcasts so no love for cord cutters

altarace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages altarace

got the tivo series3 hd from woot a few years back with lifetime (happy with it), any reason for me to consider this deal?

shadowplay1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shadowplay1
luke975 wrote:I would advise against the lifetime tivo service. they just don't last that long.

I have 3 Tivo HD's (Series 3) and they are each at least 4-5 years old. Lifetime service has paid for itself.

If something does fail it's usually the hard drive and that can be replaced pretty easily...

editorkid

quality posts: 95 Private Messages editorkid
luke975 wrote:I would advise against the lifetime tivo service. they just don't last that long.

Come on over and watch the 2004 ALCS and World Series on my Series 1, which I bought in March of 2000.

The Series 2 I bought in '03 is still doing well too, even if it doesn't have historic sports events on it.

You bring the beer.

luke975

shadowplay1 wrote:I have 3 Tivo HD's (Series 3) and they are each at least 4-5 years old. Lifetime service has paid for itself.

If something does fail it's usually the hard drive and that can be replaced pretty easily...

glad you had good luck. I've owned tivos for around the last 10 years or so. the modem went bad a couple times. but generally, they don't make 2 years. I have one currently that won't change the channel.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

vallejokid

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vallejokid
editorkid wrote:Come on over and watch the 2004 ALCS and World Series on my Series 1, which I bought in March of 2000.

The Series 2 I bought in '03 is still doing well too, even if it doesn't have historic sports events on it.

You bring the beer.

I have an original DirecTv TiVo I bought in 2002 and it works like a champ. I recently replaced it with a premier box. I will never use any other brand. Customer for life.

mmmata

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mmmata

So can you have a existing tivo user buy dvr lifetime at cheaper rate and then sell to someone else ie transfer box to them? I got friends....:-D

Just thinking outside the box...

Tsonomi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tsonomi
rampman10 wrote:Am I correct that this will replace a STB? I would be buying the STB but still have to pay a monthly fee to Tivo?

I am looking for something I can just buy and not pay rent on each month.

Maybe I should look into a whole home DVR if FIOS offers them at least then I only rent one, right? I realize I can buy a lifetime Tivo service but that costs more than the unit.

Are there any other ways to have one DVR with 2 or more TV's?

=========

I don't like subscriptions and especially if it is connected to TV in any form.

Don't they still make the video recorders with the on board hard drive and DVD recorders? You buy it and its yours. Do you really need to record more than one TV show at a time? REALLY?

luke975

Tsonomi wrote:=========

Don't they still make the video recorders with the on board hard drive and DVD recorders? You buy it and its yours. Do you really need to record more than one TV show at a time? REALLY?

some tivos record 2 or 3 at a time. maybe 4, i haven't checked lately

casey00001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001
kiwijaws wrote:be aware neither of these support OTA broadcasts so no love for cord cutters

Tivo equivalent for OTA, or feed by STB with 1TB drive by Magnavox. No fees. $279.88

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-1TB/20710259?findingMethod=rr

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom

That has not been my experience. I paid for lifetime service on my original TiVo and got my money's worth.

I did not buy it on my Series 2, and I used it for six years. I would have saved money if I had bought it. That box is still working, but I am no longer using it.

craigthom

Yes, sometimes it seems that, even if there are only two things I want to watch all week, they are scheduled at the same time.

I have not yet had a situation where two tuners was not enough.

craigthom

casey00001 wrote:Tivo equivalent for OTA, or feed by STB with 1TB drive by Magnavox. No fees. $279.88

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-1TB/20710259?findingMethod=rr

It will only seem like a "Tivo equivalent" if you've never owned a TiVo.

The TiVo feature I use the most is rhe Wishlists saved searches. I can set them up for directors or actors and catch movies when they turn up (movies not available from streaming sources). I can have it watch for specific films or shows that I saw a promo for that won't air for a couple of months. There are many other ways I use them.

The remote is also the best I've ever used. They've added more buttons for more functions over the years and made it a bit longer, but it's still so well-designed rhat I never have to look at it.

bryaninphx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bryaninphx
casey00001 wrote:Tivo equivalent for OTA, or feed by STB with 1TB drive by Magnavox. No fees. $279.88

That Magnavox DVDR = Sorry,
Not HD, No Guide, One Tuner = Fail

Why have an expensive HDTV if you won't pony up for an HD DVR???

dcinelli1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcinelli1

Woot, where did you get this "deal"?

NEW Premier 4 from Tivo is $249.
NEW Premier XL4 from Tivo is 399.

[MOD: You also get the TiVo Stream]

dcinelli1

shadowplay1 wrote:I have 3 Tivo HD's (Series 3) and they are each at least 4-5 years old. Lifetime service has paid for itself.

I've had 3 Tivos and nothing ever failed and needed service.
But beware: if you buy a NEW Tivo and send it infor repair, you get a REFURBISHED one back.

ryansdadd123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryansdadd123
dcinelli1 wrote:Woot, where did you get this "deal"?

NEW Premier 4 from Tivo is $249.
NEW Premier XL4 from Tivo is 399.

It is a bundle that includes the TiVo stream device that sends shows to your ipad or iphone over wifi. It retails at $129 so you are saving around $139 for the XL.

cubby96

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cubby96

The post above is correct about the Stream and the savings.

Howdy, eh?

cubby96

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cubby96
dcinelli1 wrote:I've had 3 Tivos and nothing ever failed and needed service.
But beware: if you buy a NEW Tivo and send it infor repair, you get a REFURBISHED one back.

Isn't that what you were asking them to do, repair/refurbish your damaged device? Or do you mean that you get a different one than you sent in? I can see where that is an issue.

Howdy, eh?

dcinelli1

cubby96 wrote:Isn't that what you were asking them to do, repair/refurbish your damaged device? Or do you mean that you get a different one than you sent in? I can see where that is an issue.

You get a different one.

dcinelli1

ryansdadd123 wrote:It is a bundle that includes the TiVo stream device that sends shows to your ipad or iphone over wifi. It retails at $129 so you are saving around $139 for the XL.

I have an android phone and an android tablet. useless to me and a lot of other people. I do believe there are more Android devices out there than Ipads/Iphones.

rmd1023

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmd1023

I've still got a TiVo from 1999 or so. I've had to replace disk drives, but its still chugging along.

kkranz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kkranz
luke975 wrote:glad you had good luck. I've owned tivos for around the last 10 years or so. the modem went bad a couple times. but generally, they don't make 2 years. I have one currently that won't change the channel.

I have 3 Series 3 TiVos and have owned TiVos for 10 years. I find that they rarely fail. I did have one that failed last year outside of the warranty period. When I contacted TiVo, I was able to pay $100 for a refurbished replacement of the same model (an XL Series 3, so a good deal) and my lifetime subscription was automatically transferred to the new box.

I think the Lifetime subscription is the only way to go and I highly recommend TiVo's customer service when something does go wrong.

Having sung TiVo's praises, I can't get over the fact that the Stream doesn't support a wireless connection. I won't be upgrading until that actually becomes useful to a "normal" household.

dadrepus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dadrepus

I bought 3 Tivo Premieres when Woot had them for $50/each (refurbs). This is before Amazon got ahold of Woot. Older boxes that offered OTA as well as Cable. Bought lifetime on all three. Quite a huge investment but Verizon charged me 12.99 per box for their crap that was not even multi room capable. Tivo has a better UI and will have paid for themselves at the end to this year.

My only complaint is their Amazon app Sucks! Tivo community boards are great.
Off load many movies and shows to my computer, change to mp4,cut out commercials, automatically with community developed software.

Brilliant!

jrhusc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jrhusc

I commented on this when it was on Woofi, nothing has changed. I'll say the reliability was good but it got hot when it was in a closed TV cabinet. Be warned, very hot.

"I had a Premier with lower specs, but it was good. In order to get a better price from my cable company I had to get their box which rendered TiVo not usable without the cable card, etc. My TiVo contract was up so it didn't matter as far as cost went.

[Then] I didn't have time to figure out how to make the cable card work so I called TIVo to end the service. Of course they offered me several deals to stay, such as postponing billing until a couple months out. I didn't want the lifetime deal.

I was ready to take it, but then the rep told me I could no longer get annual billing-only monthly.

There is no in between choice-monthly billing or nothing. I get dinged every month for everything from a 99 cent Kindle subscription to electricity. I did not want another expense to track monthly-an expense I debated the need for.

So, I'm no longer a TiVo customer and my Premier is in the original box gathering dust in a closet.

All to say, they refuse to offer an annual plan anymore. Boo TiVo."

lroller

quality posts: 15 Private Messages lroller

Based upon your level of "handiness" you can usually get parts to repair OR you can send your TiVo to "Weaknees.com" and they will repair it for you for a fee. This will maintain your lifetime service. The passage of time/technology of course, may still necessitate an ultimate upgrade.

rickfryar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rickfryar

I just got the Premiere 4 so I can use the new Tivo Mini, a media extender box to stream live TV to another TV.

Excellent devices, I highly recommend the 4 tuner Premiere and look into getting the Tivo Mini for another $99.

I replaced 3 cable boxes with one Cable Card and two minis. No more paying the cable company for 2 extra lines!

lroller

quality posts: 15 Private Messages lroller

...it used to "bug" me getting a refurb back when you return anything for repair, but now rationalize it this way. I send a used unit in for repair and received a used unit that works:>)

gruisinger

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gruisinger

it looks like the TiVo Stream has a warranty (90 day labor/1 year parts), but what about the refurbished XL4?

ourprettypictures

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ourprettypictures

I have 2 tivos, and both have lasted years. (1 for 7, 1 for 5) They are still going strong. I got lifetime service for both, and it's paid for. No more monthly fees!

bubbawheat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubbawheat

Yeah, my analog tivos (2) have only been running on a lifetime subscription 24/7 for 12 years and my older premiere nearing 3 years....lifetime sub's such a blatant ripoff ;-)

bubbawheat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubbawheat
Do you really need to record more than one TV show at a time? REALLY?

Need? No, don't "need" tv or PVRs at all but yes, given all the channels I pay for my 1 year old XL4 Tivo records 4 shows at a time quite often (or someone is using one of the tuners through their iPad). It's nice to be able to leave suggestions on and not have it conflict with programmed timeslots. Alternately when I'm in the basement den and programming the older 2 tuner PremereXL I often hit conflicts (like long sporting events often overlap dramas or special programs in primetime).

These are luxuries - It's no more needed than power windows or air-conditioning or a nice backyard grill but it's all nice stuff when you work hard and want to enjoy increasingly limited play time.

dravack

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dravack

Since you guys seem to know about Tivos any reason I should get one of these instead of the basic premier? The premier does all the same channels and over the air channels.

Only difference I can see is less hours than the xl4 and less channels recording at once. But really I never have more than 2 shows I want to see on at once lol. (see link below for info)

Not saying this isn't a great deal woot is providing just trying to decide which is best for MY needs.

https://www3.tivo.com/store/home.do

laytham

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laytham

I'm not usually one to go negative on comments, but....the TiVo Premiere I bought in September on here had a hard drive malfunction in February. Managed to get a new image installed on it and got it functional again, but it didn't last long before doing the same thing. It appears the drive has a hardware failure.

I will answer one question that I had trouble answering when I bought this: I wanted to use the box basically as an OTA tuner for a HDTV that doesn't have a built-in tuner, but I had trouble figuring out for sure whether it would work without the subscription. The answer is yes, it will. You can't use the DVR function (except to pause/rewind the channel you're on) and you don't have the guide, but otherwise it worked.

Just putting my experience on record.