WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Home Security

There are a lot of ways to make sure your home feels secure at night. You can get it a security blanket, but 50'x50' blankets are pricey, and it's eventually going to have to tearfully give it up. You can get your home a night light, but running a 300W floodlight all night is pretty wasteful. Getting a surveillance system is probably your best bet.

cyberkyst

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cyberkyst

Reviews from Amazon from the Brite-View BVC-500C Plugcam 500MB/s Powerline Home Network Camera Starter Kits (White)

I like the idea of running the app on my phone, but the length of the ethernet cable... Hm...

patrickmh79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patrickmh79

The working temp is listed from 41f-104f. Is that hold true for the cameras???

tml61747

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tml61747

These Driveway sensors are 49.99 every day at Home depot and no Freight. So real deal here on WOOT.... What's The DEAL WOOT!!! You Fail on this one. I weep tears of failure...........yo

peepinmofo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peepinmofo
cyberkyst wrote:Reviews from Amazon from the Brite-View BVC-500C Plugcam 500MB/s Powerline Home Network Camera Starter Kits (White)

I like the idea of running the app on my phone, but the length of the ethernet cable... Hm...

I believe that is just to the router. The camera is a separate piece that can be mounted anywhere there is a power outlet. Or at least thats what I think...

Goatherder

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Goatherder
peepinmofo wrote:I believe that is just to the router. The camera is a separate piece that can be mounted anywhere there is a power outlet. Or at least thats what I think...

Right you are! These are insanely easy to set up. I bought one base unit and an extra camera last time, and will grab one more camera now.

Each camera just plugs into power. Base unit plugs into power and your router. They find each other automatically. I was up and running in five minutes.

rmg185

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmg185

Number 5 is alive!!

ShyGuy91284

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ShyGuy91284

I love these cameras, but they are proprietary with no obvious way to utilize them outside of the specialized software. I've played with Wireshark a bit to see what could be done, and it isn't a simple known protocol from what I saw (although I am not an expert on packet inspection).

tugnutt831

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tugnutt831

I'm guessing that the PlugCams only pan/tilt manually, can anyone confirm this?

Basket of Cranberries Count to Date: 19

tafoxx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tafoxx

Is there any significant difference between the Swann and the 4-camera Defender packages? The specs look basically identical, but they differ in price (though only slightly). I don't know whether to behave like a proper consumer and go for the lowest price, or assume that the higher-priced one must be higher quality.

BadGeorgie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BadGeorgie
tml61747 wrote:These Driveway sensors are 49.99 every day at Home depot and no Freight. So real deal here on WOOT.... What's The DEAL WOOT!!! You Fail on this one. I weep tears of failure...........yo

They are 17.99 with a coupon at Harbor Freight... I used one in my mom's garage so when the door is open, she knows when someone walks in.

BadGeorgie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BadGeorgie

I was contemplating buying the Swan 8 channel Dvr security camera set up but after reading some reviews on line.. I've changed my mind... anyone with some experience with this set up? http://www.amazon.com/Defender-SN301-8CH-008-Security-Coaching-Surveillance/product-reviews/B003BYRO1K/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#RWCW01J1AMVLH

reeces11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reeces11

Would the LEDs on the Bright views keep and infant up in night vision mode? We need plan to use it as a baby monitor.

Patsycar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Patsycar

Wooden stick in the track of the sliding door. $1.25. Security solved. Bada-bing-bada-boom.