WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Urge-nt Bluetooth Speaker & Keyboard Sale

Wires are dead. Gone. Buried. Never to be spoken of again. We need to embrace the future. Long live Bluetooth. Long live Urge Bluetooth speakers and keyboards!
Urge official site

deadeye37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages deadeye37

Woah! Hold on there! I think we have a Woot first. A cellphone case that is NOT for the iPhone. I'm shocked....

I actually have an SGSIII, but I don't have a need for that keyboard. Get some cool cases for SGSIII and I'll probably buy one or two.

codemon88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages codemon88

Does anyone know that quality of the Bluetooth speaker. Been looking to get a good one, but don't want to pay ~$150.

Thanks!

Vader128

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vader128

The black Ultra-Slim Bluetooth Keyboard doesn't look very black to me, would ordering a black one get me that grayish looking one pictured or would it actually be black?

tektor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tektor

I bought one of these a while ago under a different brand name, but looks exactly the same.

The keyboard is shiny and pitch black, and the phone case part is also black but more of a matte black. (There's some reflection in the Woot images, so it looks more gray, but it's all black.)

The whole thing is very light - almost too light, so that when slid open, the weight of the phone versus the keyboard makes it feel a little top-heavy. It adds about the same thickness as the phone, so it's not terribly big to carry, but certainly not small either.

The keys don't feel great, but they're functional. They have a tactile response, but it's not a gentle response like most of the built-in keyboards on the Droids or Blackberry. The placement of the Fn key to the right of the arrow keys is a mistake in my opinion. All of the keys are the same small square shape (except for the space and enter keys, which are double-size).

The phone can tilt up to 90 degrees, to sit perpendicular to the keyboard, so this can be used as a stand. But you can't charge the keyboard and the phone at the same time with a single charger, so you'll still have the charger directly in the phone most of the time.

Overall, the build quality is decent. I suspect the hinge would wear out after a while, but I didn't have any trouble over the short time that I actually used it. In the end, I found that it wasn't terribly useful, and not better than using the on-screen keyboard (especially with Swype), so I stopped using it and put it in the closet.

urgenerg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages urgenerg
deadeye37 wrote:Woah! Hold on there! I think we have a Woot first. A cellphone case that is NOT for the iPhone. I'm shocked....

I actually have an SGSIII, but I don't have a need for that keyboard. Get some cool cases for SGSIII and I'll probably buy one or two.

Thanks for your input! We currently have some things in the works for the GS3 that I URGE you to consider *yuck yuck*. Keep your eyes and ears open!

SunnyLea0

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SunnyLea0

I second codemon. I can't find any reviews for this anywhere.

rhycochet

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rhycochet

fortunately jawbone isn't as patent-snappy as apple.

otherwise whoever makes these little bluetooth speakers would get a pretty nasty surprise in their mail soon, i'd assume.

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich
Vader128 wrote:The black Ultra-Slim Bluetooth Keyboard doesn't look very black to me, would ordering a black one get me that grayish looking one pictured or would it actually be black?

Gray is the new black. And if you look at the speakers, gray is also the new white.

That's why I say,
Hey, hey, hey!
Let's go gray,
Hooray, hooray!

Gimme a G!
(G!)
Gimme an R!
(R!)
Gimme an A or E!
(A or E!)
Why?
(Why?)
Gray is grayt!
It's just fate!
Tell your date,
Gray is grayt!

Yay for gray!
(Whistle, whistle, stomp, cheer)

nmotb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmotb

These Urge speakers have been featured on other sites, but I have given up finding a review anywhere. Is there anyone that has found a rating or has heard them?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Vader128 wrote:The black Ultra-Slim Bluetooth Keyboard doesn't look very black to me, would ordering a black one get me that grayish looking one pictured or would it actually be black?

For some strange reason, the manufacturer calls that black. We agree with you though and changed it.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rcblum

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rcblum

Ugh, I hate to miss these speakers at this price. My children still use their Phillips ShoqBoxes we bought off Woot years ago.
Since there is not one word about these speakers on the web could a Woot employee chime in with a reference point regarding the sound and quality?
I understand that you can't hail it if it's a piece of junk, but you could at least give us an idea of the sound? Any bass response at all? Pairs easily?
Small speakers can often sound fantastic with surprising bass for their size. Others just produce sound.
I'd like to order 4, but don't want to get stuck with 4 lousy speakers.
Sometimes this stuff shows up again later, maybe 1 now, 3 next time?
HELP!!!

edit: wow, 5/19/2007 on the Shoqboxes and they're still going strong! Everyone who sees them wants them so I don't let the kids leave the house with them. These Urge speakers would be our "away" units.

krazykoz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krazykoz
codemon88 wrote:Does anyone know that quality of the Bluetooth speaker. Been looking to get a good one, but don't want to pay ~$150.

Thanks!

Anyone? I saw an urge rep was in here, perhaps he can link to some online reviews?

Also, from their site:
http://www.urgebasics.com/product-types/speakers

MSRP $199.99. I know it looks like a jambox, but isn't trying to emulate their price going a bit far.

libra276

quality posts: 0 Private Messages libra276

Agree with everyone else - can we please get a review up in here?

rbaier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rbaier

Really like to try that wireless speaker but I can't find a single product review, anywhere.

rcblum

rbaier wrote:Really like to try that wireless speaker but I can't find a single product review, anywhere.

I suspect these will be back around again, I've ordered one and am thinking about 2 more.
Will post a review both here and at Amazon.
The nearly 4x difference between Woot's list price and that listed on the official website is a huge red flag, almost got myself talked out of the other 2 as a Creative D80 is only $1 more on Amazon. Not portable or small, but at least I know it sounds OK. No deep bass or high-highs, but not awful. These are a total crap-shoot.

schrody

quality posts: 9 Private Messages schrody

Looking at the photos, the speakers have a line out... it's quite possible they can also be used as a bluetooth receiver to connect to bigger (non-bluetooth) amplified speakers or your real stereo.

I have a GoGroove BlueSync SRC that has the output for just that purpose. I consider it to be a bluetooth receiver that just happens to contain listenable if not awesome speakers. I imagine these URGE speakers are about the same.

No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!

SunnyLea0

schrody wrote:Looking at the photos, the speakers have a line out... it's quite possible they can also be used as a bluetooth receiver to connect to bigger (non-bluetooth) amplified speakers or your real stereo.

I have a GoGroove BlueSync SRC that has the output for just that purpose. I consider it to be a bluetooth receiver that just happens to contain listenable if not awesome speakers. I imagine these URGE speakers are about the same.

Hmmm... That just might make it worth it.

Can anyone confirm?

nastyducky

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nastyducky

Since I absolutely love the Toshiba Excite tablet I got here last month, I got to thinking it'd be even more fun to have a bluetooth keyboard to go with it, and voila! Here they are, at the usual and expected great price (thanks, Woot!). Got the silver one because I love shiny things...

getmoreram

quality posts: 0 Private Messages getmoreram

OK, I just got the Sound Brick today. Initial impression is very good. It won't replace a full blown stereo, but puts out pretty good sound. Bass is a little lite, which is to be expected in such a small unit.

I took a gamble buying this without any reviews to go on. I would say I am pleased with the quality and sound for the $33 it cost on woot. pairing was easy and range on BT is at least 25 feet from my cell phone. I have been listening to it for about 45 minutes now. Almost wish I had bought 2. I ordered a Jambox for $100 today, so I will compare the two when it comes in.

kutsunom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutsunom

Got my Soundbrick today as well. It comes out of the box already charged and ready to go. Paired to my iPhone 4 without any problems. There is a blue LED light to indicate bluetooth connection and a red LED light as a battery power/charge indicator.

Sound quality is just fine for an inexpensive $33 speaker. I should have bought another one, and probably will next time these things show up on a Woot-off or on Sellout. The sound is somewhat balanced, with OK bass and treble. There's some emphasis on the mid-range, which I don't like, but that's just my taste. Stereo separation is not bad, but it's somewhat simulated with a slight echo effect.

Overall, the sound is similar to the Logitech UE Mobile Boombox, but off course, this Soundbrick is a much better deal! I also like the Soundbrick much better than the Beats Pill. However, the Jambox and the JBL Flip have better sound quality (sharpness and richness) overall. But again at $33, I am not complaining! Hope this helps!

rcblum

Got 2 of my 3 today.
Echo what Kutsunom says, here's my rambling review.

It's not going to blow you away, of course there is minimal separation, but it seems like a solid unit.
Compared it to my Supertooth Disco and Creative D80. The Disco was an unfair choice and the SoundBrick couldn't keep up, but it faired well against the D80.
Much better high end and the lows were better represented.
I even gave the D80 a break by running it direct and the SoundBrick via Bluetooth. I switched between them with the source switcher on the iphone to A/B them.
Had them both against the back of the kitchen counter to give the bass some help and listened from about 12 feet, iPhone EQ off. Even over Bluetooth the SoundBrick was lively and clear while the D80 sounded like a plastic, inexpensive boombox; no lows and no highs. It's great for podcasts though!

I don't have a Jawbone Jambox, heard a little from one at the store over the holidays and it sounded pretty good. I doubt this would do great in a side-by-side, but at $30 I am so glad I went ahead and bought 3,(one for me, 1 for each of the kids). Should've bought extras!
Amazing value for the price, solid construction, and I've heard much worse Bluetooth receivers.
Cannot comment on battery life or speakerphone function as I haven't had it long enough to find out.
Yay Woot!

Also got one of the keyboards. A total apple bluetooth keyboard knockoff, fine by me, just wanted something for my daughter and son to learn typing with. Just turned it on and pressed the "connect" button on the back, iPad saw it right away, had to type in the password, and it works like magic!
All of the F keys perform as their icons indicate they should, which is really cool. Probably a few more tricks I need to discover. As with the Soundbrick, money well spent. Not aluminum like the Apple keyboard, but a great kid's keyboard or something to throw in your bag to use with your tablet.

I've had some Woot duds over the years, but these Urge Soundbricks and keyboards are not.

getmoreram

quality posts: 0 Private Messages getmoreram

Just a follow up, I got a Jambox in today and have done a quick comparison of the two. I would say the Jambox sounds a little fuller and has better bass response. The Soundbrick seems to get louder, but can get a little muddy at higher volumes. For the difference in the sound vs the price, I would say the Soundbrick is better at one third the price. The Jambox sounds better, but not much, and certainly not 3x better.

beloman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages beloman

Where exactly is the "On/Off" switch described in the manual as the bottom right side of the keyboard of the Ipad bluetooth product??!!

krazykoz

Thanks for the reviews guys, I ended up ordering one too and its out for delivery right now. From whats been said, hopefully I won't be disappointed. Will have to keep an eye out for when these eventually show up again, as I know a couple people looking for a bluetooth speaker, but I wasn't about to recommend this one without any other reviews or experience from myself.

rcblum

beloman wrote:Where exactly is the "On/Off" switch described in the manual as the bottom right side of the keyboard of the Ipad bluetooth product??!!

It's on the back (bottom?) of the keyboard, halfway to the right side. You need to lift it or flip it over to access it. If you use it a lot it might not be worth the effort.
Cool thing about this, and I suppose any other BT keyboards, you can hit the DEL (lock icon) to wake up your iPad, hit the right arrow to swipe, then type in your password and hit enter.
Tapping the key with the square icon to the left of F1 is the equivalent of the HOME button. Double click will pull up recently used apps. Lots of other nice functions.
Still have to tap icons to open apps, maybe there is even a way around that. Will post if I find a way.

nastyducky

My bluetooth keyboard arrived today and danged if I can get it to connect with my new Toshiba Excite tablet, which I bought here last month. The tablet stays visible to bluetooth devices for 90 seconds and I have yet to find any key on the keyboard that will activate the connection. The user's manual says "press the Pair/Connect button" but there's no such thing.

I've got new batteries in the keyboard, the power is on - why won't it work? Which button is the Pair/Connect button?

Urge company is now closed until April 3, how inconvenient!

Thanks for any help I can get...

EDIT: I tried connecting it to the bluetooth in my PC, and it didn't find it either.

SunnyLea0

Well, no good for this sale, but for posterity, I'm quite pleased with the Sound Brick. If they come up again, I'd buy another one.

Not only does it have a line out, the sucker actually *came with* a m2m 3.5mm headphone jack.

Of course, I discovered today that my stereo, which does still include a casette player thankyewverymuch, has one of those old-school big giant line in jacks, so know I need a converter before I can test out turning my 1999 Aiwa into a bluetooth device.

rcblum

nastyducky wrote:My bluetooth keyboard arrived today and danged if I can get it to connect with my new Toshiba Excite tablet, which I bought here last month. The tablet stays visible to bluetooth devices for 90 seconds and I have yet to find any key on the keyboard that will activate the connection. The user's manual says "press the Pair/Connect button" but there's no such thing.

I've got new batteries in the keyboard, the power is on - why won't it work? Which button is the Pair/Connect button?

Urge company is now closed until April 3, how inconvenient!

Thanks for any help I can get...

EDIT: I tried connecting it to the bluetooth in my PC, and it didn't find it either.

The pair button is labeled "connect" and it is located next to the on/off switch on the back of the keyboard.

nastyducky

rcblum wrote:The pair button is labeled "connect" and it is located next to the on/off switch on the back of the keyboard.

For some reason I was not pushing the button down far enough. Thank you.

krazykoz

Beginning to wonder if the woot sale was some sort of test run to get feedback on these soundbrick speakers. I saw URGE Basics themselves are selling them on Amazon for $79.99 each now (higher than the $49.99 retail woot had them listed at). At the very least, they got a few customer reviews out of us wooters on amazon I see. I wonder if we will ever see them on woot again, or ever for that low of a price.

Also interesting their official site lists the retail at $79.99, much lower than the $199.99 they originally were on there.

dmcweim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmcweim

Message deleted by user.