conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3645 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Pretty good reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) on the RX-V571over at Amazon

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3645 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Very good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) on the RX-V471 over at crutchfield.com

JosephPalreiro

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JosephPalreiro

I have an older 5.1 I have really gotten good use from. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 7.1

polysorbate

quality posts: 7 Private Messages polysorbate

Am I the only one who doesn't like to waste energy by having to turn the receiver on just to hear the tv, or to use headphones?
Why can't we just use t-amps instead?

jimsinkorea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimsinkorea

Can a staff member explain why no delivery to APO addresses on this item?

linkit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linkit

Does the Woot offer model support 220-240v ?

Tks

JCAREY88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JCAREY88

I've been in the market for a Receiver for a long time now. My parents had a Yamaha when I was growing up, and it worked until the day they got rid of it a few years ago, but I still think I'll pass on this one.

kabraxcis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kabraxcis

SO I've always been confused, how do you use USB DAC's with this kind of receiver?

qatarbutlerfamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qatarbutlerfamily
jimsinkorea wrote:Can a staff member explain why no delivery to APO addresses on this item?

I too would like to know

west3man

quality posts: 6 Private Messages west3man
JCAREY88 wrote:I've been in the market for a Receiver for a long time now. My parents had a Yamaha when I was growing up, and it worked until the day they got rid of it a few years ago, but I still think I'll pass on this one.

That's a lot of background for no payoff explanation.

WHY, with all that history and interest, will you pass on this?

zeta30

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zeta30
polysorbate wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't like to waste energy by having to turn the receiver on just to hear the tv, or to use headphones?

It appears you are. I have no issue powering up my 1080 watt receiver to watch old episodes of Gilligan's Island.

davehathaway

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davehathaway

I have the RX-V671, which is not one of the items. However, the Amazon review of the RX-V571 shows that the V571 is similar to the V671, less some features that I don't use. So, they are functionally similar.

The YPAO device is very nice. It allows you adjust the energy from the speakers to allow balanced room-filling sound. I did decrease the front center channel and increase the front L/R, because I have a pair of nice tower speakers that give great bass response. Other than that, the automatic balance has been great.

I live in a shotgun-shack house, where the living room is a 25' wide by 40' long box. Having the 7 speakers allows me to put the rear speakers at the far end of the room, where my computer lives. So, I can play music or TV at a low level and still hear it while at the computer. I haven't found a ton of greatness for movies at 7.1 rather than 5.1, but managing softness is great. For big rooms, get the 7.1 for that reason.

Oh, and the sound programs? I tend to use the vanilla 7-channel setting, but sometimes I like bassy music sounds. As I mentioned before, I've boosted the levels to the big front towers. I can therefore pump out a LOT of sound from the 7 speakers in the club sound modes without a lot of distortion.

I like that I can re-program the front buttons to say what the actual setting is (XBOX instead of CD). And having a fool-proof button on front to set the box for the TV is wonderful for my wife. ;-) I just wish it were the left-most button rather than the 2nd; I rarely use Blu-Ray, so finding button 2 is mildly annoying.

Finally, I note that the review linked above shows the difference between the V471 and V571. The big difference is the video up-conversion. You'll miss that, IMO.

I like my V671. Maybe you can tell.

cudame

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cudame

I have owned the model RX-V 667 which is similar to the RX-V 571 for about two years now. Can highly recommend it at this price but you should also check equivalent models from Pioneer (model 1022 I think) and Onkyo as they are getting discounted as well. If you have not upgraded to a HDMI capable receivers, at this price it is probably time.

necroshaman1618

quality posts: 0 Private Messages necroshaman1618
conanthelibrarian wrote:Pretty good reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) on the RX-V571over at Amazon

Will this works with my current speakers? They are old Sony speakers that have the two copper wire connection s that usually go into clips?

tri4realz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tri4realz
polysorbate wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't like to waste energy by having to turn the receiver on just to hear the tv, or to use headphones?

Um, have you read the specs? It has "HDMI pass-through" which passes the signal to your TV without turning it on. The headphones will work if you plug them into the TV, but obviously not the receiver. duh.

hockeytown316

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hockeytown316

Is this THX certified or is that no longer a thing to consider. Its been a while since I pulled the trigger on a receiver.

Daniel MacDonald

ahartfie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahartfie

I have the 573 and love it. It beats the stuffing out of my old Sony and all my music sounds incredibly better.

I have old speakers too (Empire Scientific Grenadiers) and the receiver does allow for two-wire connections just fine.

winks0118

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winks0118
necroshaman1618 wrote:Will this works with my current speakers? They are old Sony speakers that have the two copper wire connection s that usually go into clips?

It will work with your Sony speakers, however you need to have a powered subwoofer for this unit. If your subwoofer has the two copper wire connection, most likely it will not work with this reciever without purchasing an amplifier.

flatblack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flatblack

I've been casually in the market for a new receiver for a couple of years. I'm presently using (don't laugh) a Sansui I bought new in the '70s... I mainly use it for music in my living room and patio (two pairs of speakers) and feed video sound through it haphazardly.

What none of the specs here or on other receivers I've seen elsewhere tell me is this: Can I or can I not hook up two pairs of speakers (in lieu of or in addition to a 5.1 surround configuration) in different rooms and select between them?

My desired configuration can't be that far from the mainstream. I also want a built-in pre-amp for a turntable. Does anyone make such an a/v receiver any more?

What say you Wooters?

fb

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

Had a Yamaha receiver and liked it a lot. But it lasted *only* about 10 years before the power supply section fried. You should die (or grow tired of it) before your receiver dies if it is well built.

Always plug all electronics - that need to be plugged in - into a brand name surge protector. That includes counter too microwaves.

ehejl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ehejl

Nope, I hate it too.

I also hate the ludicrously complex remotes.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
flatblack wrote:I've been casually in the market for a new receiver for a couple of years. I'm presently using (don't laugh) a Sansui I bought new in the '70s... I mainly use it for music in my living room and patio (two pairs of speakers) and feed video sound through it haphazardly.

What none of the specs here or on other receivers I've seen elsewhere tell me is this: Can I or can I not hook up two pairs of speakers (in lieu of or in addition to a 5.1 surround configuration) in different rooms and select between them?

My desired configuration can't be that far from the mainstream. I also want a built-in pre-amp for a turntable. Does anyone make such an a/v receiver any more?

What say you Wooters?

fb

For an internal phono amp and multi-room (that's what they call what you want - 5.1 or 7.1/whatever by itself won't do what you want) you'll need a higher end receiver. On the phono input, you can buy external phono amps.

ehejl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ehejl
tri4realz wrote:Um, have you read the specs? It has "HDMI pass-through" which passes the signal to your TV without turning it on. The headphones will work if you plug them into the TV, but obviously not the receiver. duh.

Does it auto select the HDMI port?

kmur

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kmur
flatblack wrote:I've been casually in the market for a new receiver for a couple of years. I'm presently using (don't laugh) a Sansui I bought new in the '70s... I mainly use it for music in my living room and patio (two pairs of speakers) and feed video sound through it haphazardly.

What say you Wooters?

fb

What you're looking for is a receiver with a powered Zone2 feature such as the Onkyo TX-NR515. There's a bunch of them but I've been looking in to the Onkyos so that's the only ones that I really know about. This model does not appear to have the feature though.

aruales

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aruales

Hey guys ! First time posting here. Quick question. I have an old Sony HT-IS100 home theater system. See link below

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/105312861562630977?q=Sony%20HT-IS100&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43287494,d.b2I&biw=1528&bih=824&sa=X&ei=Fuw5UdOyJqnf2QWx_YCgAQ&ved=0CEsQ8wIwAg

Do you guys think receiver will be compatible with it ?

Thanks !

sobo2002

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sobo2002

does this "upconvert" signal to HDMI? i.e. will I still need to run a component cable from my receiver to my tv so I can use my Wii?

mtcanty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtcanty

I was really hopeful when I saw this receiver as I've been in the market for one, but it seems to lack multi-zone and network capability. Both deal breakers for me.

Seems like the difference in features between the 571 and 671 is quite vast.

cjmoran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cjmoran

It's not an energy thing. It's the Ear-Bud Generation. They can't hear worth a damn anymore.

Rock

bsmith1

quality posts: 104 Private Messages bsmith1
jimsinkorea wrote:Can a staff member explain why no delivery to APO addresses on this item?

Lithium battery in the remote? I have no idea...

necroshaman1618

quality posts: 0 Private Messages necroshaman1618
winks0118 wrote:It will work with your Sony speakers, however you need to have a powered subwoofer for this unit. If your subwoofer has the two copper wire connection, most likely it will not work with this reciever without purchasing an amplifier.

Thank you

sketch660

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sketch660

Could 2 of the speakers from the 7.1 be used in a different room as a poor man's multi-zone or would that sound really off? I would be looking to run two outside just for casual listening of Pandora. Is it worth the extra money to buy an actual multi-zone receiver?

chago04

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chago04

I just bought the v473 yesterday. For those interested, it has discrete amplifiers instead of chips (which is the issue I've been having with my Pioneer for the past few months) and also has AirPlay for Apple devices and network capabilities.. It's at Amazon for $248 this week. Edit-- price now $289. This v471 deal is smoking.

Still, very hard to beat the v471 for $180. These are great deals.

rndabney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rndabney
sobo2002 wrote:does this "upconvert" signal to HDMI? i.e. will I still need to run a component cable from my receiver to my tv so I can use my Wii?

The RX-V571 does.

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

So tempting!!!!

I was just looking at the Yamaha RX-A720 and RX-A820 over on Amazon, drooling, trying to figure out if I can work $850 into the budget somewhere, or if I can't, can I do $650 at some point.

Now Woot does this to me. Do I want new and shiny with bells and whistles, or do I want an older (but still good) model with fewer bells and whistles and pocket $400-$600 in savings...

Decisions... Decisions...

xanadu1979

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xanadu1979

My current receiver is 120 watts per channel. Would I notice much difference dropping down to 105?

cpattillo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpattillo

Been looking for a receiver for a little while now and I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the 571. I have a couple of the Pioneer speakers by Andrew Jones, second generation (the center speaker and 4 of the bookshelves set up as 5.1, plan to add 2 of the towers later for 7.1 total). Would this receiver be a good match and have enough power to get full use out of these speakers?

Also hesitant about the lack of networking on this receiver, but I'm going to be connecting it to a HTPC anyway. Do I gain anything with the networking or is it redundant with it being hooked up to a PC?

Thanks for your input.

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin
xanadu1979 wrote:My current receiver is 120 watts per channel. Would I notice much difference dropping down to 105?

Not unless you like to crank your amp up so it's running balls out*.

At a reasonable listening level you're probably barely using a quarter of that. Loud explosions in the sound track may push it to half of max power.

The only difference between a 105W amp and a 120W amp is that you'll have to turn the 105W amp up ever so slightly higher to get the same volume level. Both will be more than sufficient for most people's needs.

*Old steam engines had a governor rod with ball shaped spinning weights on the ends. When the engine was running at maximum speed centrifugal force moved the balls all the way out. Hence the phrase "running balls out" or just "balls out".

lyman123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lyman123
sdownin wrote:So tempting!!!!

I was just looking at the Yamaha RX-A720 and RX-A820 over on Amazon, drooling, trying to figure out if I can work $850 into the budget somewhere, or if I can't, can I do $650 at some point.

Now Woot does this to me. Do I want new and shiny with bells and whistles, or do I want an older (but still good) model with fewer bells and whistles and pocket $400-$600 in savings...

Decisions... Decisions...

I just got the A710 on discount as a last years model, and I LOVE it. I use the Android App to control it on an old tablet, and its really swanky. I also like that the A710 is networked and I can feed it through my UPNP system I already have set up, as well as get streaming audio through some service (I forget which).

I had a couple of Onkyo's cook on me - the last one had that HDMI board that seems to be a systemic failure point.

Before I got the Yammy, I had purchased the Pioneer 1021, but I could not get the HDMI to work - it appeared to be defective. Returned it for the Yammy and it has been bulletproof.

JosephPalreiro

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JosephPalreiro
zeta30 wrote:It appears you are. I have no issue powering up my 1080 watt receiver to watch old episodes of Gilligan's Island.

BRRRAAAAAHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!