WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

USB: Universal Serial BLAST!

Certain rumors are abroad in the land that some of you still have unused USB ports on your computers. This is unacceptable. This three-day amnesty will allow you to purchase the items below. If your ports remain unfilled, our trained agents will plug these devices into the "ports" on your BODY. You've been warned.

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

the netgear wireless g adapter is available on amazon for 16. but it's old technology anyways. seems like it got alot of 1 star reviews also.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0009N544A/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

bvchitown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvchitown

I bought the Dream Cheeky Roll-Up Drum Kit last time it was up on Woot. I have been disappointed with it. I think it should be called the Dream Cheesy Drum kit. The Drum board is very small - about 12"x12" is all. The sticks are about 6" long. There are no instructions and it is not that intuitive. It works for a cheesy toy for my son, but was a little expensive for a cheesy toy. Spend a little more money and get them a real snare drum.

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

Anyone have the 1 can cooler?

rrussell

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rrussell

Has anyone used the Eye-fi cards? Seems VERY VERY VERY pricey for an 8GB card, even though it's magic.

But... it might be worth it? Maybe?

Please advise.

bsmith1

quality posts: 105 Private Messages bsmith1
rrussell wrote:Has anyone used the Eye-fi cards? Seems VERY VERY VERY pricey for an 8GB card, even though it's magic.

Please advise.

The 8GB card also contains a wifi transmitter to magically send the photos and videos to your computer. This means, you don't have to pop out the card and and manually transfer the images. If you're in wifi range, it'll do it for you. I think you can also set it to automatically upload to your flickr or picasa accounts.
Sorta like how Google+ automatically uploads a copy of pictures I take on my phone. (may not be in original resolution, but still)

Edit: to answer your question... it might be worth it if you take a lot of pictures and your camera doesn't already have a way to automatically transfer them to your computer.

jhonr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jhonr
rrussell wrote:Has anyone used the Eye-fi cards? Seems VERY VERY VERY pricey for an 8GB card, even though it's magic.

Please advise.

I've got the 4g (~$20). Worth it at twice the price.

mvsopen

quality posts: 44 Private Messages mvsopen
johnt007871 wrote:Anyone have the 1 can cooler?

Yup. I have the one-can chiller. My co-worker gave it to me as a birthday gift a few years ago.

Yes, it works as advertised. I measured it, and it cools about 35 degrees less than whatever temp the room is at. It has a Peltier junction plate about two inches around - it keeps the can cool, but never icy cold.

This is actually not bad for what it does. The device has no insulation at all, so that takes a half point away from it, but it does indeed work as advertised.

BTW, this thing looks like it could be turned into a Tardis with a little time, creativity and blue paint.

luke975

the minifridge got pretty bad reviews on amazon. but I'll probably still get one.

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Powered-Fridge-Cooler-Beverage-Cubicle/dp/B000XYN5RS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362553612&sr=8-1&keywords=Dream+Cheeky+19+USB+Mini+Fridge

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

earlyre

quality posts: 2 Private Messages earlyre
luke975 wrote:the netgear wireless g adapter is available on amazon for 16. but it's old technology anyways. seems like it got alot of 1 star reviews also.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0009N544A/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I'm amazed Woot still has some of those floating around.. bought the same unit on Sellout.woot back in Oct '08 - for $12.99

luke975

earlyre wrote:I'm amazed Woot still has some of those floating around.. bought the same unit on Sellout.woot back in Oct '08 - for $12.99

I'm more amazed the price was only lowered 3 dollars over almost 5 years.

wooowoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooowoot

ah, man... That 128gig stick was exactly what I need at just the right price I was waiting for.... Don't you other woot fans ever sleep?

clevernamehere

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clevernamehere

The reviews on amazon all seem to be unanimous about the USB drink cooler, states it does not cool down a drink well (one person said it took over night just to cool down a can that was room temp). No insulation and cooling element is just a plate at the bottom (and since cold liquids sink, it does not cool down evenly). Sounds like its more of a decoration that anything functional.

luke975

wooowoot wrote:ah, man... That 128gig stick was exactly what I need at just the right price I was waiting for.... Don't you other woot fans ever sleep?

to answer your question, no. but the memory stick is available on amazon for a couple dollars more. the reviews aren't the best.

http://www.amazon.com/Centon-Electronics-DataStick-Waterproof-RCDSW128GB-001/dp/B008ABOIBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362571475&sr=8-1&keywords=Centon+RCDSW128GB-001

madmomxt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madmomxt

Anybody used the Eye Fi with a Roku?

madmomxt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madmomxt

Anybody used the Eye Fi with a Roku?

archeryace12345

quality posts: 0 Private Messages archeryace12345

Those flexible keyboards really suck. Don't buy them. They only register about 2/3 of the keys pressed if you try to type normally.

x4livin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages x4livin
archeryace12345 wrote:Those flexible keyboards really suck. Don't buy them. They only register about 2/3 of the keys pressed if you try to type normally.

I know....we have a gillion of them at work(hospital) and charting gets long and drawn out...but the kids will like them for the pads.

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

Does anyone know if I could use the mini-USB keychain thing to connect my XOOM (which has a mini-usb outlet) to a laptop (which has a USB port) to transfer things? And is it any good?

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
time2testit wrote:Does anyone know if I could use the mini-USB keychain thing to connect my XOOM (which has a mini-usb outlet) to a laptop (which has a USB port) to transfer things? And is it any good?

It's micro USB, not mini, but most everything the last few years use that.

It's just a very short USB cable that tucks into itself, so, if a normal USB cable will work, then this will.

skinnermm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skinnermm

With accessories like those I can finally dream cheekily. Finally.

Cheeky at last, cheeky at last, thank god almighty I dreamt cheeky at last.

sprenton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sprenton
x4livin wrote:I know....we have a gillion of them at work(hospital) and charting gets long and drawn out...but the kids will like them for the pads.

I do work with a head start program, and we use them in the classrooms. Kids love that they can beat on them, teachers (and I) love that we can just scrub the thing clean with soap and water at the end of the day. Plus, at that age, the kids aren't hitting the right keys anyway.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

I have about half of the items on this side-woot! They ALL suck. Hardy Har Har on you woot! Is to day miserable meeces Crap Day, and I missed the announcement?

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

remiqaine

quality posts: 2 Private Messages remiqaine

Be careful with the Netgear WG111US, I have owned a couple of these and they have a major thermal flaw. They will overheat drastically and then shutdown until they cool off. Check the reviews on Newegg and Amazon. I tried several methods for cooling and none work. This is basically an emergency use adapter. When it works, it works great; unfortunately it is not very reliable.