cmuntz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cmuntz

I had to chime in after reading all the negative comments about HP. I purchased a dv series HP @ six years ago. It is still fantastic and running strong. To date, no repairs or service calls required! Just a new battery...as the original was having a hard time holding a charge. But hey, what can you expect after so many years. ;)
Friends who initially made snide comments about HP are now all converts!

I recently purchased another HP (I do heavy audio/video editing & needed more memory.) I- also, put together alot of power point presentations with graphics. Both old and new have handled it with rave review.

So far, so great! If you are looking for a solid computer, I highly recommend HP.

c2knight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages c2knight

Does this have the TouchScreen capability?

dills2214

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dills2214
c2knight wrote:Does this have the TouchScreen capability?

No. It's a nice 1080p screen, which is hard to find at this price point, but sadly, no touchscreen.

barthumphries

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barthumphries

That is truly an amazing deal, but... Windows 8. Ew. They took a delicious piece of angel food cake with strawberry topping and poured molasses all over it.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
barthumphries wrote:That is truly an amazing deal, but... Windows 8. Ew. They took a delicious piece of angel food cake with strawberry topping and poured molasses all over it.

I agree. I tried to like it. I used classic shell- and I found I could deal with it until I realized the following things:

1)mediacenter is no longer included

2)I tried to create an image file (like you can easily do with windows 7) as a back-up. Yeah it's not a quick & easy process like it is in Windows 7.

3)I had a samsung SSD and the software could not clone to the SSD disc. But in fairness, this was an Asus refurb that had some garbage partitions on it - that I believe had something to do with it.

4)The desktop in Windows 8 looks like windows basic. All the cool transparent effects (Aero) that windows 7 had are gone with windows 8.

I tried to like it, and thank God stuff like classic shell is out there so you can make it work like a regular desktop if you don't have a touch enabled device. They claim faster performance with windows 8, but I bet turning off the Aero theme in Windows & would yield the same performance gain- because it's negligible at best and probably non existent if you have an SSD.

To make a long story short, I loaded Windows 7 on my Asus Laptop that I bought from woot a couple weeks ago, and never looked back.

GirlFromJerzey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages GirlFromJerzey

I'm wondering about the "Full HD Anti-Glare LED-backlit" screen. Does Anti-Glare mean that it is not as sharp, crisp, clear, or colorful? I've been trying to search for information and can't find anything to describe the difference between this and a BrightView screen.

Anyone have any idea of the difference? Thanks.

cartervt2k

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cartervt2k

I got a different model HP Envy (new) off a wootoff in December. It came with a slight dent in the keyboard (just enough to annoy me), and they repaired it - no questions asked - with a total transit/repair time in under a week...over Christmas!

ThatCrazyGuy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ThatCrazyGuy

I bought this a few weeks ago on Woot. So far, it's been awesome. Superfast, smooth. Windows 8 is actually really nice. Screen is super clear. It doesn't run games well, but that's not why I got it. Cranks out CAD and simulations (matlab/simulink) like it was nothing.

ballewja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ballewja

Is there any way to uninstall Windows 8 and put Windows 7 on it instead? I would like to get one of these, but I absolutely abhor Windows 8!

ehsieh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ehsieh
ballewja wrote:Is there any way to uninstall Windows 8 and put Windows 7 on it instead? I would like to get one of these, but I absolutely abhor Windows 8!

Windows 7 on dv7-7243cl

skullopener

quality posts: 2 Private Messages skullopener

The laptop was faulty when it came in. Couple of keys were not working and had to be pressed really hard to make'em work.

Got online chat support with HP and they are going to repair it. So now I have to ship this monster back (HP Paid for the shipping).

It would take 2 to 3 days for their shipping box to get here and then another 7 to 10 business days to get it back.

BTW...this was my first HP product. Not a good start!!!!!

ohdoggy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohdoggy

Battery arrived DOA!!! Otherwise machine is great.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ohdoggy wrote:Battery arrived DOA!!! Otherwise machine is great.

Sorry for the problem. Make sure you give new batteries a full 24hr charge before declaring them dead.

If there's still a problem, contact HP for assistance.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders